Solo A New Jungle

After a long journey across Falyndar, Ixtli finally arrives in Syka.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A New Jungle

Postby Ixtli on February 26th, 2018, 9:51 pm

14th of Winter 517,
A few bells before dawn

Finally she had found it. After days and nights of trekking through the dense and wild Falyndar jungles, she had arrived to her destination.

Ixtli couldn't see the ocean yet but the sound of waves softly crashing against the shore and the sharp smell of salty water told her she had reached the shore. Exhausted but jubilant, the Myrian paused her bells-long trek to lean against the nearest trunk, rest her weary body and breathe in the moment. It had been weeks since she'd left the familiar walls of Taloba to set out on this journey. She recalled with emotion the first time she had heard of Syka from that Zeltivan explorer at the Temple, and with gratitude the decision of her sister to rally a small group to accompany her for the longest part of the journey. Now that her travel was over, she would have to approach the Syka's founders and hope to be accepted before settling into her new life.

But first, sleep. The Myrian lifted her eyes to the canopy; through the highest boughs glowed a faint silvery light as Leth reigned over the night sky. Ixtli took the final steps, emerging at the edge of the jungle onto the beach. Starlight danced on the rolling waves like countless fireflies and the air was fresh and crisp with the promises of a new life. She sighed, appreciative of the view, and breathed in fully the salty breeze brought by the sea. Weary from her journey, she dropped her backpack at the feet of a nearby tree and pulled out her hammock before hanging it between two others, and a few moments later she laid down and fell deeply asleep, too tired to consider setting up a proper camp or even getting a blanket; the warmth of the tropics rarely called for its use anyway, and she felt at home underneath the shelter of the palms. In her well-deserved slumber, if one were to look carefully, they could have caught the faint shadow of a smile tugging at the corner of her lips, her peaceful expression lit by the soft moonlight.

Some bells later, mid-morning

Syna's rays rained onto the earth below, and in her hammock Ixtli stirred under her warm embrace. The Myrian blinked and opened her eyes slowly, waking up and taking in the surroundings. The place was much more strikingly beautiful than she had imagined. The pristine blue waters caressed the shore lazily, kissing the white, soft sand of the beach under the push of a gentle breeze. Behind her the jungle was alive with bird songs and the screeching of small critters, and the wind blew lush, tropical scents from the forest's blooms.

Ixtli stretched and jumped to her feet, well-rested and light-hearted, ready to seize the opportunities Syka had to offer. She quickly packed her hammock into her bag and after tightening the locks in her braid started making her way along the waterside, her bare toes enjoying the refreshing touch of the sea.

A dozen chimes into her stroll, she started to feel more heavily the power of Syna's rays, unhindered by the canopy she was so used to see hanging overhead. She began to sweat and seeked shelter by the jungle edge, where sparse trees offered welcome shade. Down the way she was going a cluster of wooden houses could be seen, all of them built some height from the ground and close to the beach. In the distance, she noticed a brown-haired, bare-chested man working on the nearest one, seemingly repairing a roof. Ixtli heart beat slightly faster; he was the first person she had seen since her sisters had returned to Taloba and left her to continue her journey through Falyndar alone, about five or six days ago. Taking a deep breath in, she stepped closer.

Common | Myrian Calls | Thoughts
Ixtli
Player

Words: 44981
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2017, 9:43 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A New Jungle

Postby Ixtli on February 27th, 2018, 3:33 am

The Myrian cleared her throat and the rasping noise coming out of it clearly spoke of the length of time gone since she had last used her voice. On his ladder, Randal jumped a little and looked down; the tall woman standing there, clad in crimson loincloth, short top and numerous tattoos, stared right back up at him. A half-chime of awkward silence passed before the man uttered the first word.
"Hi... How can I help you?" As he spoke he climbed down to be at her level and extended a hand in greeting, a welcoming smile making its way across its lips. The Myrian looked down at the hand warily at first, then with caution extended her own and let the man shook it gently. What a weird custom.
"Are you one of the founders?" She asked, rater abruptly. "I'm new here. My name is Ixtli. I just arrived from a very long journey and I'm looking to settle. I had been told I have to speak with one of them for permission."

Randal lifted a surprised eyebrow, slightly taken aback by her manners – or lack thereof. Usually newcomers to Syka put on their most friendly behaviours when addressing the Founders to have them on their good side and be granted a piece of land, but this woman seemed to care little for this kind of game.
"You do, indeed," he nodded slowly. "Nice to meet you Ixtli. My name is Randal Zor. I am one of the founding members of Syka, and the builder of this comfy little beauties," he continued with a gesture towards the bungalows. "Usually, before we accept someone in the settlement we like to learn a bit about them, see, know what you could bring to the place. We need active, skilled people who are happy to work and understand what it means to be part of a small community. We need people who aren't afraid of living away from the comfort of a regular city and are ready to put in the effort to integrate."

As he spoke his gaze flew over the Myrian quickly and set into her hazel eyes, trying to get an idea of her personality and determination. Ixtli returned his examinative stare with a composed expression and unwavering resolve; she had made up her mind weeks ago on settling here.
"I understand your reserve, and I can guarantee you I fit here. I spent all of my life in Falyndar, I learned how to hunt and track and live off the jungles. I grew up in a community where every member had to pull their weight and work hard for everybody to survive. I know the importance of relying on each other's ability to thrive as a group, and I'm ready to put my knowledge and skills to use wherever and whenever needed."

Randal kept quiet for a moment. He had listened attentively to her tirade, hearing the meaning and intention behind each word and wondering if they were a prepared speech or an honest presentation. Ixtli stood silently waiting; if the man had any questions about her or her motives he would speak next. Finally he seemed to either believe her or catch an interest for this foreign wild woman who spoke so directly. "You sound like you know what you're talking about. Now I'd like to ask you though, apart from hunting and tracking did you learn any trade that could benefit the settlement?" He paused. "And you're speaking of having spent your life in Falyndar... I've heard my share of false adventurers claming they can survive in the wilderness with little to no comfort, only to have them shipped back to Riverfall a dozen days later when their lies and lack of skills became apparent. We don't have any time to waste babysitting you when you play the hero of the jungles. Everybody here needs some knowledge of how to live rough. So I need to have some proof of what you say you are, more details, or your story will stay just that, a tale."

He had spoken firmly but not aggressively, the tone of a man who knows what it takes to settle and thrive in the wild and is expecting nothing short of honest cooperation from newcomers.

Ixtli nodded and an almost imperceptible smile tugged at the corner of her lips for an instant. Her voice was low, rolling softly when she next spoke.
"Then let me tell you my story, Randal Zor..."

Ixtli
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A New Jungle

Postby Ixtli on February 27th, 2018, 7:14 am

Half a bell later

A quiet, respectful silence had grown between the two as they walked side by side along the beach, the breeze cooling their sun-kissed skin after they had shared stories of each other's adventures within the wilds of Mizahar.. They smiled faintly, rejoicing in the silent realisation that they had found in each other a matching soul to share their love of the wilderness with, both hunters and survivalists, both understanding the dangers and the gifts the wilds concealed for the ones brave and daring enough to find them.

As they approached the Commons, Randal stopped and turned to Ixtli.
"Well, that was interesting. I haven't met many of the children of Myri, but your story surely make me want to go and visit your city some day." His smile grew larger. "Somebody with your skills and mindset will be a benefit for our settlement. We can always use more hunters, and the position of resident butcher is available if you can fill it," he suggested.
"I'll be happy to help where help is needed. My abilities in food treatment and preservation aren't so great yet, but I have hopes to improve quickly." For a reason she herself ignored, Ixtli had let out of the conversation her knowledge of Malediction; she had little to no idea on how the fact that she dabbled in bone magic would be received and would rather keep it silent until she understood more clearly the disposition of the people she'd be dealing with around Syka.

Randal's intense gaze cut short her train of thought.
"Then all we are left to talk about is your land claim. I understand you're happy to stay in a tent? There is no way I could interest you in one of the bungalows?"
The Myrian shook her head and offered a grateful smile.
"I'd rather be as close to the jungle as I can. It feels more... home-like, camping under the trees. But I thank you for your offer. If I have a word to say about the claim, I'd appreciate to have a fair part of forest on my land, for resources and hunting, and access to a freshwater point."

The man seemed to think intensely for a minute, before suggesting:
"Well, actually... This area right where we stand is unclaimed. It's nearby the Commons, which is convenient to meet the other residents and potential business partners... And it's still close to the Bungalows if you change your mind... Or want to pay a visit."
He winked, playful, and it was the Myrian's turn to arched a surprised eyebrow.
"I... Thanks. The area looks great." She turned away, her gaze embracing the beach that stretched, bright and pristine, to the jungle edge with its tall trees and colourful fruits hanging in their branches. Further away on the shore, a rocky outcrop stood out from the water facing the island in the middle of the bay; hopefully she'd find it an easy source of seafood.

Randal moved to face her and his smile was both gentle and inviting, and the hazel-eyed woman felt a faint warmth flushing her cheeks, fortunately hidden by her tanned complexion.
"It's all settled, then." His tone was charming, bewitching. "Welcome to Syka, Ixtli."
Ixtli
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A New Jungle

Postby Gossamer on March 24th, 2018, 10:24 pm

The Fates Have Spoken
Here is your thread grade!

Character: Ixtil
Experience Awarded: Socialization +2, Planning +2, Observation 2
Lores Awarded: Randal Zore: Syka Founder, Syka: Location, Syka: Employment and Home Establishment

Notes: Please be aware that with 15 WS in Jungle, there's no way your PC could have survived a trek through Falyndar alone. You'll need to revise your story/thinking on that and take some sort of trade ship or come by way of Svefra.

Nice job setup and land claim thread. I wish there was more XP available, but really I couldn't find much.

As always PM me if you have issues.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)