Closed A Childhood Fantasy

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Childhood Fantasy

Postby Saiyin on April 17th, 2018, 8:39 pm

2nd Spring 518 AV
Middle of the night
"Speech"

Saiyin slept. The room was warm and so she slept fitfully, sometimes lying flat on her front and sometimes rolled onto her side with the covers loose and flapping across the floor. Her eyelids flickered as she dreamed. Normally, Saiyin did not dream, as her sleep patterns slotted into the waking and resting pattern of the city giving little time to settle into a dream state, but she had slipped into a deeper sleep that night and so her mind dwelt in another plain.

Her dream was more a memory than anything else. She was young again, a tousle-topped, chirpy girl of about seven. She had free reign for the whole day, and this was a luxury that she meant to enjoy. The dream was filtered with sunshine and she was warm as she ran from field to field. In her hand was her father's walking stick. She did not use it to walk with, no, not her. Seven year old Saiyin had no need for a walking stick. Instead, she brandished the stick as if it was a staff. She whirled it around and around in her hands, as she had done in real life, for bells and bells and days and days.

Didn't everyone dream of being a powerful, skilled warrior at some point in their lives? Well, in her dream, that was what she was. Saiyin had loved the walking stick and the way she had painstakingly learnt how to brandish it without dropping it. Many a crop of wheat had suffered at her hands. In the dream, she slew a whole field of wheat, and then...

She woke up.

____

The Azure Market was mostly a bore to Saiyin. Within its twisting and steeply winding corridors it held a great display of knick-knacks, clothes, tools, and anything else you could think of, but Saiyin usually found the great display of goods distracting and overwhelming. The young woman was not fond of shopping, especially for shopping's sake. Yet she had dreamt a strange dream last night, and this evening she wondered whether she could pursue her old hobby once more.

The evening was warm and pleasant, more like a summer's evening than the beginning of spring. Some shops had lit candles in the window, and the soft glow of these flickering, enchanting lights cast cheerful shadows on the blue walls. Saiyin had waited until evening for a reason. For one it was quieter, and she enjoyed the quiet hubbub of chatter much more than the rushing, busy chatter during the day. The other reason was that she simply enjoyed the dark. It would be a pain to safely navigate home again, and so she brought along a lantern with which to guide the way. Thankfully for her, the moon was high and bright in the sky, and although it would not be enough to light the way true, it would be enough to help.

She smiled a thanks to the moon god Leth as her father used to, and turned her attention away from the sky and instead to the shopfronts. She was looking for a shop which sold staffs. Nearby, a full-to-bursting shop boasted Lhavit's 'FINEST COLOURS!' with a large sign hanging from the window. The street twisted around a corner up ahead, but Saiyin was sure the particular shop she was looking for was somewhere nearby.

After a little time spent searching and one wrong turn that lead her to a closed alleyway, she finally found the little shop she'd been searching for. She looked at it carefully. It was a little more shabby than she remembered, but other than the distressed paintwork, it was quite respectable. The shop's owner was sat outside on a little chair, sipping a glass of ruby red wine, reading a pamphlet by the light of a tall, flickering candle. He was tall himself, with a grey mop of hair that suited his angular face. Saiyin approached and smiled, then gestured at the door. "Are you still open?"
Saiyin
~☆~

Words: 91451
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2018, 3:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Childhood Fantasy

Postby Saiyin on April 17th, 2018, 8:55 pm

"Speech"

The man didn't appear too startled as she spoke, but even so he knocked back his cup of wine rapidly enough that she suspected he hadn't expected a customer. He stood gracefully and welcomed her inside, saying, "Why, yes of course. Welcome, welcome." His voice was rich and soft, and Saiyin stepped inside to gaze at... darkness. The man cursed so quietly that she couldn't help but smile to herself in the darkness. Obviously, the candle had not been lit since the sun had gone down. "Give me just a moment whilst I light these candles back up. Now, is there anything in particular you want whilst I'm doing this?"

Saiyin thought carefully over how to frame her request. She was not a skilled and powerful warrior as she'd been in her dream. Instead, she was able-bodied but a bit clueless when it came to combat. The days spent whirling and dancing with the walking stick had been nothing but a childhood fantasy, but Saiyin felt a keen desire to learn how to fight with such a weapon, even if she was being just a little delusional. Finally, she settled on being as open as she could without over-sharing. "I used to play with a walking stick.. or staff.. when I was younger. I had a dream last night and I thought I'd take up the hobby again. I suppose that means I'm searching for a fighting staff, or whatever they're properly called! I'm not any kind of professional, so any help you can give me, I'd really appreciate."

She finished talking as she heard the strike of flint on tinder, and the shop gradually came into view as the owner stepped around and finished lighting the candles. "Yes, okay. Now that we can see, I can help with what to suggest. From what you've said, it sounds as if you're looking for a quarterstaff." He walked across the shop floor until he reached a stand displaying what looked like walking poles to Saiyin. The rest of the shop was a little cluttered, she saw, but it was more an effect of the light and shadows. It became apparent as she neared the stand and saw that there was a selection of about five different staffs of different lengths.

"Do you want to actually fight or spar with your staff? If that's the case, I'd suggest either this one or this one." He picked the two mentioned ones and showed them to Saiyin, who had remained quiet whilst he explained. Now that she was presented with a choice, she picked the one in his right hand and felt it in her grip. She was a little clueless, but she felt the weight and smiled a little as she stood in the middle of the shop floor and began to spin it in her hand. It was difficult, after all the years that had passed, to pass the staff neatly in her hand. The wood was soft and warm to the touch, but as she almost dropped it on the floor once too often, she determined that there was too high of a polish on it.

"May I try the other?"
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Childhood Fantasy

Postby Saiyin on April 17th, 2018, 9:12 pm

"Speech"

"Certainly!" The shopkeeper's face was cast in shadow. Outside, a woman with a high, tinkling laugh breezed past with a gaggle of friends. It sounded to Saiyin as if they were celebrating something, although what that was she could only guess. Inside the shop, she felt quiet and introspective. It could have been a spooky atmosphere, except for the light sound of a wind chime somewhere in the breeze, and the warmth of the candlelight. Saiyin took the next quarterstaff, and once more moved into the middle of the floor. This one felt different in her hand. She was beginning to enjoy herself. The shopkeeper was reserved and didn't comment on her mediocrity, of which she was glad.

She held the quarterstaff in her hand and practised spinning it in her hand again. This one was heavier, that was certain. She felt it carefully, gripped her fingers tight so that the item didn't fall, but the texture of the wood was also more grippy and so she felt more comfortable. She span it slowly so as not to knock anything over, but found herself wishing she was out in the fields at the Okomo Estates so that she could practice more.

Saiyin had held reservations as she'd walked to the Azure Market. Wasn't it a little spur-of-the-moment to buy a staff without any real need for it? She had intended to browse and perhaps come back later to make sure she'd made the right decision. But now, in the still and quiet shop, with the quarterstaff in her hand, she knew she'd be giving the store owner a small amount of her kinas in exchange for the dream of her childhood.

The man's quiet voice spoke and dragged her from her reverie. "That's looking more comfortable in your hand, young miss." She nodded, and stopped concentrating so hard. She lightly rested the quarterstaff so the nub of it landed on the top of her shoe so it didn't become scuffed on the ground, and smiled more confidently. "How much is it for this one?" The answer came back swiftly. "That's three kina, young miss, more than I'd usually charge but there's lovely etched patterns on this particular one."

Saiyin hadn't noticed, but now she ran her hand along the wood until she found the etching. Sure enough, she traced lovely spirals beneath inquisitive fingers. It was this and the surprisingly low price that tipped it for her, and she leant the pole against the counter as she rummaged in her pocket to find the three kina she owed the man. The gemstone coins clinked, one by one, into the man's hand and he thanked her. "Goodnight, gods blessing sir."

She departed the shop, new purchase in her hand, and a large smile plastered across her face.

oocEtched quarterstaff: -3ki
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Childhood Fantasy

Postby Saiyin on April 19th, 2018, 2:12 pm

"Speech"

Saiyin wandered along through the streets and up and down the winding paths, past houses and gardens, past night walkers (who were greeted with a nod) and flitting bats, past bridges and glittering skyglass. It was a long walk back to the cottage, but she indulged herself with daydreams and the time passed quickly. She walked until she reached the Sharai Peak, where her home was located. She was approximately twenty chimes from her home. The Okomo Estates were the prime grazing land of the okomo, and though some parts were nibbled down to the ground, there were other, wilder parts that still remained in little pockets. It was towards a stretch of wild land that she ambled.

The night was too peaceful and mysterious to go to sleep yet. Saiyin thought she might dare to dream of nostalgic days, but she was almost too afraid to let her mind drift back. Instead, she lay on her back in the rough, tussocky grass and properly looked up at the myriad, uncountable stars glimmering through the wispy, lace-like clouds. First she only saw the masses of stars and could not discern any individual, but gradually as her eyes adjusted to the starscape she could pick out the more characterful ones. There was a large, blue-tinted star that seemed to flicker rapidly, like the quivering body of a frightened mouse. She had seen it before, but did not know its name or whether it had one. Another set of stars gleamed almost invisibly. Saiyin thought they looked like a veil of some golden material, something that almost shimmered in the breeze though of course they were stationary.

Neither her mother or father had ever really been interested in the night sky. Saiyin hadn't either when she was younger. Most of the time, her mother had taught her how to write and her father had taught her basic history and practical skills. Over time, she had found her own way in life, as adults must, but her parents rarely left her thoughts completely. Would they approve of her way of living, now? Saiyin supposed they would, and quite happily. Her mother especially would rejoice at her bubbling passion for glass, and probably encourage her to make something of it, to sell or create for art. Her father, dreamy and scatter-brained though he was, would have loved her no matter what she did.

They were gone now. Saiyin dared to dream that they might reside in the stars. She blinked the sudden water from her eyes, and smiled. Her cheeks were pink and her nose too. Tears twinkled in her eyes. She hadn't cried in a long while. Stars gleamed like diamonds above, and Saiyin murmured up to them, talking to her dead parents, "I hope you are safe and well, mum, dad. I had a dream last night... I dreamt of when I used to roam across these fields. Back when you were both alive. We shared so many wonderful adventures. I was not always the best daughter, and I'm sure you wished I was a little different, a bit more like you both were." She smiled to herself, and wiped her face with her sleeve. "I miss you sometimes."

"When the sky is open and free, I think of you. The way you used to dream..."
Saiyin trailed off. Crickets chirped slowly and distantly in some clump of grass a way away. She stopped thinking, and immersed herself in the inky night sky instead.
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Childhood Fantasy

Postby Saiyin on April 19th, 2018, 9:23 pm

"Speech"

Time had ticked quickly through the night, so much so that Saiyin almost drifted off in the cool, waving grass. She was sure insects had crawled over her and gone on their way, but she felt refreshed. Her mind was calm and cool and the few tears she had shed for those she had lost had been like the first drops of Spring rain. Now she was sleepy but alert, finished with her silent meditation but still keen to remain out in the open air. The quarterstaff lay resting in the darkness, alongside her lantern. She fumbled with the flint and tinder and knelt beside the lamp to find the little door. After a tick or two, she had the lantern door open and she began to strike the flint and tinder. She was mindful to tilt the flint down, and strike hard. Most times she forgot, and let the tinder slowly drag across, which didn't do a thing.

A few, hard strikes later and a spark lit the candle inside. She sheltered it until it was flickering nicely, and then picked up the lantern by its handle. Her surroundings came into sharp effect in the light of the candle's glow. Saiyin looked around at the grassland that sloped upwards, and at the patchy, spiny bushes growing nearby. Early flowers were beginning to bud on the iron-dark branches, and she found herself admiring the colour, a vibrant, buzzing yellow.

She stooped and picked up the quarterstaff, and placed the lantern down in a central position that was somewhat flat. Experimentally, she began to twist the staff around and around in her hand. As she had done in the shop, she wasn't doing a proper spin, but simply rotating the staff as far as her hand would reach before it grew uncomfortable. She amused herself like this for a few moments, then sharply thrust the staff out into the darkness. The smile she was wearing slipped from her face, as she thrust again. The darkness stood solidly. Outside of the candle's influence, the night was as inky and dark as pitch.

Saiyin raised the staff and held it aloft. She concentrated now, thinking only of how her body wanted to move and the actions her arms wished to undertake. She was not graceful, but she felt strong as she raised the staff and swept it into a lunge in front of her body. The darkness was her enemy, an invisible yet harmless foe, that she hit again and again until her arms became tired and she let out a gust of laughter.

What was she doing, really? Hers was just a childish dream of a time when she revered warriors and fighters. She laughed quietly to herself, and leant down to pick up the lantern. Home was not far at all, so she walked slowly and thoughtfully away from the field until she found the path a little way away. She walked without thinking about much at all until she reached the front door. In silence, she fumbled with the key and pushed open the door, before locking it again behind her. The house's shadows flickered with the flame of the candle, but Saiyin was dead tired and didn't heed the ominous shapes or even the faint light on the horizon signalling the coming of the new day.

She gently lay her new quarterstaff against the kitchen table and walked over to the bed, trying not to let her eyes close. Tiredness was sweeping over her like a tide now. She blew out the candle, and put the lantern down. Her bed was not soft nor very comfortable, but she slipped into it and pulled the ribbon from her hair. She was asleep within ten ticks. Outside, an owl hooted into the quiet. Then there was stillness, and sleep.
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Childhood Fantasy

Postby Saiyin on April 20th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Grades Awarded

~

Saiyin

Skills
Observation: +5
Weapon, Quarterstaff: +3
Astronomy: +1
Wilderness Survival: +1

Lores
Lhavit Location: The Azure Market
Lhavit Location: Basic weapons shop in the Azure Market
Dream: Of being a warrior in childhood
Leth: God of the moon
Weapon: Quarterstaff
Quarterstaff: The importance of grip
Quarterstaff: Simple thrust attack
Astronomy: Flickering, blue-tinted star
Saiyin: It is cathartic to cry
Wilderness Survival: Simple flint and tinder technique

Notes
This was a self-grade. Please PM me if there is an issue with this grade. Thank you! :)

Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes