Closed A Fresh Start [Goss]

Ray arrives in Syka

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Fresh Start [Goss]

Postby Raymond Rhythorn on June 4th, 2018, 4:22 am

2nd day of Summer 518

The violent waves had stopped and the ship entered a more calm and tropical current. The heavy footsteps on deck woke Ray up. The crew seemed busy that morning. There was a certain buzz among them. He climbed onto the deck. The crew was busy sorting supplies. He struggled his way through the working crew to the bow. Alas! After half a season at sea, there was land in sight.

"Hand over fist men!! Hand over fist!" yelled the captain.

"You! Hard and fast! Know the ropes lad!!" he shouted at one of the crew members.

The place seemed somewhat lonely. With tents scattered throughout the beach. On the right side of the Dock, there were bungalows and octagonal overwater ranchos. On the left various tents scattered around. In the back, thick forests. The place barely looked civilised. Ray started having second thoughts. But it wasn't an option. He needed to get away and this seemed like a place no one would come looking. The ship approached the Dock. Ray rushed down the deck and gathered his possessions. The ship dropped anchor on shore.
The heat was tormenting. Ray took off his coat and held it over his head for shade. He turned to a crew member at the Dock.

"Are we in Riverfall?"

"Nay, we're in Syka. Its a new settlement" replied the man

Ray looked around, the place was a paucity of people. The ones that were there had minimal clothing, which was understandable. The cruel sun didn't have any mercy on the people there. Ray never experienced this kind of extreme climate. In Syliras, the climate was wonderful, never too hot and never too cold. At the edge of the forest, Ray saw a cottage. It didn't look like much but he hoped it was a tavern. Ray made his way to the cottage. He dropped his luggage at the front door and went inside. Gripping his cane with both hands, he looked around. It seemed like a shop. It had almost anything you would want....well not everything but on a deserted land? It seemed to be enough. Basic food supplies, tools, almost all sorts of things.

"Excuse me? Can I help you?" a voice came from behind.
Ray turned, it was a young lady who seemed to be the shopkeeper.

"Yes actually. Um... who is in charge of this place? Or are there any taverns around?" asked Ray

"Oh! No we don't have any taverns in Syka. But welcome to Syka...are you looking to settle here?"she asked with a curious face.

"... Um.. I might.."replied Ray. " So is there any place I can stay? "

" Well you will have to arrange it one of the founders. Here let me show you where you can find one" the girl smiled and pointed Ray to the direction of a man called Mathias Okavis.

Ray traced his steps to a big bungalow. It was at the beach on a raised platform. Surprisingly it was well furnished with tin roofing. This particular one was bigger than the others. It was huge with a big front porch full of rockers. Standing on the porch,

"Hello? Mr. Okavis?"

Code made by Anibesa for Rhythorn
Last edited by Raymond Rhythorn on June 6th, 2018, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond Rhythorn
Player

Words: 6450
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

A Fresh Start [Goss]

Postby Gossamer on June 6th, 2018, 12:06 am

Mathias was on his porch, as usual, fishing. When The Founder wasn’t busy settling a place like Syka, there was nothing else much to do _but_ fish. It was Mathias’ favorite past time. And he’d taken to sketching and describing all the fish found in and around Syka as he caught them. He also cleaned and cooked them, then rated them on tastiness… all for the good of the settlement. It was his civil duty to contribute to the overall knowledge of the people here; and Mathias took such things seriously. Sitting in an enormous rocking chair, Mathias gave the newcomer the once over, gestured to a spare pole he had leaning against the side of his bungalow, then nodded at a bait bucket by his feet. “Cast a line out, why don’t you? We might as well both be fishing as we talk.” He decided, nudging a second rocking chair with his toe in the form of an invite to sit.

“I’m Mathias. Mr. OKavias was my father. And who might you be? I saw we had some Svefra drop anchor and come ashore. Did they bring you along with them? You don’t look much like Svefra to me.” He commented, offering the newcomer a smile.

“I hope you fish. You’ll find the fishing really good around here. We keep our bellies full most of the time and it keeps us from having to venture too far into the jungle. Sit sit…. So what can I help you with?” He said gently, rocking back on his chair and putting his bare feet up on a small stool perched in front of his rocker. While Mathias’ bungalow wasn’t as lofted as Randal Zor’s was, he did have his up deck and bungalow up higher and out over the waves so he could get as much fishing in as he wanted. Watching the sea was relaxing to Mathias. It had always been one of his hobbies and something that soothed him endlessly when his mind was troubled.

Hopefully the newcomer would find as much peace. “Can I get you something to drink?” He would ask if the stranger opted to pick up a pole, bait and cast it, and sit down a spell to talk. The Founders were nothing if not hospitable.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

A Fresh Start [Goss]

Postby Raymond Rhythorn on June 6th, 2018, 4:01 am

Meeting the founder

The man turned, he seemed to be in his 40s with receding white hair and a wrinkled face with a broad smile. He gestured to a spare pole leaning against the side of the bungalow and invited him to fish.
Ray hadn't fished since he was a child. He never liked it, he was always of the restless kind. Back in Syliras, there wasn't much fishing activity, if people wanted fish they would simply buy it at the market. He took out a bait from the bucket and attached it to the hook. Ray didn't speak anything and casted the line.

When asked who he was, Ray hesitated. The reason he was here was to get away from Syliras. He came here for a fresh start, to find a purpose. Not a day goes by when he doesn't regret what he did. He was tormented by the memories of his brother. He would often have trouble sleeping. In his nightmares he would see himself confronting Marcus. Ray got lost in thought.

".... So what can I help you with?"
Ray was startled by Mathias' question.

"I'm Ray and no not a Sverfa" he smiled back sitting on the edge of the rocker, "I haven't fished in years" still smiling "I was just looking for a place to stay..." Ray continued ".... but found out that you don't have any taverns around here and I was told that I have to arrange it with you?"

The weather was a bit cooler now, the wind was mildly blowing. It was indeed a beautiful sight, the sea and its steady waves washing the golden shores. It all felt very natural, something one wouldn't experience in cities like Syliras. The green jungle in the back added the beauty. The whole scene was all mysterious and wild yet so beautiful.

"Yes, can I have some water please" Ray replied.

"So...." Ray started again "...the girl at the shop called you a founder...are you the leader or something? How did you find this place?"

Code made by Anibesa for Rhythorn
Raymond Rhythorn
Player

Words: 6450
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

A Fresh Start [Goss]

Postby Gossamer on June 19th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Mathias smiled. "Sure we have a Tavern.. its called The Tidepool. It doesn't have rooms like the Inns you might be used too, but we do have guest quarters all up and down the beach if you need a place to sleep for the night. They might not be what you are used to, but you won't be hassled and might find them very comfortable. There's bedding and towels in the locker beneath The Commons." Mathias added helpfully.

Mathias noted immediately that Ray was quiet, not willing to talk much about himself. He seemed undecided about being open or even remotely sharing much with the Founder. Mathias wasn't certain it was something he enjoyed about the newcomer, but perhaps it was just new place jitters. He gave Ray the benefit of the doubt and continued.

Mathias rose, fetched a mug, and poured out some clean clear water for Ray, setting it in front of him. He resumed his seat, checked his lines, and noticed Ray did not even remotely touch the fishing gear. Perhaps since it had been a while, in Ray's words, he wasn't interested or didn't know what to do. That was okay with Mathias. He just always liked fishing company.

"Yes, I started this settlement with James and Randal. We liked the look of it and thought we could make a go of a new community if we had enough settlers with skills." He said, mater of factly. "So far we've been here two years. It seems to be working out nicely." He added, happy to be saying something like that to a new person. "The girl at the shop is Juli... James' daughter. That's James' mercantile." He added, looking helpful. "I've traveled extensively and this is one of the spots that's always stuck with me. I felt like it was a calling to create something here like Syka." Mathias said plainly, leaving it up to Ray's imagination as to what kind of calling.

"What about you? What brings you here? Do you have any useful skills for Syka? Or are you just visiting? We aren't really open for tourism and discourage visitors unless they are willing to stay." He said very thoughtfully, wanting Ray to know where he stood on tourism immediately.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)