PM to join Okomo Of Different Stripes

Saiyin meets Narifa, another glassblower, whilst decorating an Okomo for the festival.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Okomo Of Different Stripes

Postby Saiyin on June 5th, 2018, 10:02 pm

5th Summer 518 AV
"Speech"

The okomo, being sacred, had a holiday. To outsiders it could seem strange for the majestic goat-like creatures to have such an honour. To Saiyin though, the okomo were especially important as they had played a backdrop to her childhood forays into the wild grass plains that were their grazing land. Her mother's okomo statue had been her favourite toy too, although playtime and toy were both gone now. Even so, she strolled from her home with excitement, contemplating the day ahead.

She was alone like normal. Hessel was locked up in her house complaining of a stuffy nose, and Saiyin didn't blame her for retreating away. The fog was miserably enfolding the mountainside still. She breathed in the cold air and snuggled deeper into her cloak as she walked, trying not to lose sight of the path as she followed the distant noise of the festival. An okomo wandered past, looming very suddenly from the mist, and Saiyin jumped before laughing to herself at being such a fool. To her surprise, the okomo grunted in return, looking a little edgy and bothered. It was a surprise too. Usually, the animals were docile around humans, who they saw frequently across the mountain. Saiyin shrugged her shoulders, but remained a little puzzled until she reached the main part of the festival, where her attention was captured by the paint stall.

She parted with a few kina in return for a selection of coloured pots, a stubby paintbrush, and a small bag of okomo treats. Like a child, she grinned and began to scan the grass for the elusive okomo. She watched actual children running past trailing laughter, and smiled in response. Saiyin wasn't thinking of very much, but she wore a look of contentment. Festivities were a particular enjoyment of hers. There were some who didn't like them much, but she wasn't one of those.

After several chimes of searching, she was in luck. A glossy-maned okomo wandered past, and she bent down on her knees to gesture towards it, attempting to lure it closer. "Heere, here here! Tch tch tch!" Saiyin clicked her tongue and spoke softly, as if talking to a baby. "Why, aren't you lovely?" It was true, though. The okomo's horns were elegantly spiralled, and she extended her hand towards its nose to softly touch it. With a grin born of success, she continued to gently pat the nose of the okomo, letting it know she wasn't a threat. With her free hand she rummaged for the little sack of food, and withdrew a chunk of carrot.

She smiled in delight as she watched its eyes follow her hand, and then chuckled as she felt its rough tongue pick up the piece of carrot and begin crunching. "Ain't that nice, mister?" She kept feeding it, chunk by chunk, and then stroked its back. The okomo was lovely and soft, although a little damp from dew and mist, but its horns were perfect. She wondered what to paint, and carefully bent down to unscrew the paint pot and dip in the brush to start on the okomo horn.
Saiyin
~☆~

Words: 91451
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2018, 3:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Narifa on June 6th, 2018, 1:16 am

5th Summer 518 AV

The first image she had of Lhavit was stained by delight. Buffeted as she was on all sides by bright bubbly laughter, adults happily indulging in conversation and children indulging in a rare time of play, Narifa allowed her lips to pull into a smile. Gone were the concerns that had prevented her from opening her mouth at the Amaranthine Gate. Gone were the fears that had made her teeth chatter and her fingers tighten around the feathers of the Wind Eagle. Exhaustion and doubt had no business trying to settle on her shoulders. The path guide had told her that today was Okomo Day, a celebration of the sacred Okomo. Try as she might, Narifa couldn't even begin to fathom what an Okomo was, so the 'sacred Okomo' part of the festival remained in obscurity. But 'celebration' she understood just fine, and the only acceptable emotions during celebrations were those one whose roots were found in happiness.

There was no hesitation in her stride as the Inartan dove into the fray. Master used to tell her that hesitation only brought pain, and while he surely meant it in reference to the actual pain of hesitating when it came to working with glass, in this moment his words applied all too well. And just like Master, Lhavit was fast finding a place in her heart. Her gaze alighted on awe-inspiring structure after awe-inspiring structure. A material that seemed like the glass she loved so much decorated every surface, sparkling in the surprisingly thin light of day. The noise of the crowd only grew in volume the further into the city she walked, and reminded her of market days back home. She was beginning to see why Master thought coming here would be a good idea.

Interspersed with the crowd were pockets of the same goat-like creature that had brought her to the gate. Some were calm, content with the masses moving around them, while others seemed agitated, tossing their heads back and forth and pawing at the ground. Narifa watched as the tallest in a group of children reached up to coax one of the animals' head down, bits of carrot falling from his fingers. So absorbed was she in observing them as they proceeded to throw themselves onto its horns, armed to the teeth with paintbrushes and paint pots, that the young woman failed to watch where her feet were landing. One moment her eyes were on the children, and the next the world was tilting forward, grassy earth waiting to catch her.

"Oof!" She landed with a mouthful of dirt, upper-body splayed across the ground and legs tangled around whatever it was that she had tripped over. Narifa could feel the burn of embarrassment upon her cheeks before her face even left the cool grass. She scrambled to turn herself around, understanding that she what she had felt upon impact was indeed another person. Her hands flew together as she tried her best to will herself invisible, eyes squeezing shut while she fumbled for an apology.

"I'm so sorry! It was my fault, I wasn't watching where I was going. I hope I didn't hurt you!" She peeked around her pleading hands, noting that this person also appeared ready to paint the horned-creature. Maybe, if she wasn't chased away, she could ask what, exactly, was happening here.
Narifa
Victim of Wanderlust and Endless Optimism

Words: 66429
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2018, 12:13 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saiyin on June 8th, 2018, 3:11 pm

"Speech"

Before she could even think of a design for the horn she wanted to paint, a stumbling figure of small stature and stunning red hair tripped over her, and sent both of them falling to the floor. It happened in a moment, leaving the woman no chance to figure out who the clumsy person was except that they were probably a woman, judging by the length of the hair. Saiyin sprawled awkwardly and gripped a tuft of grass to stop herself rolling further, annoyance brewing behind her otherwise calm eyes. She quickly pulled herself back up to an ungainly squatting position and looked around for the okomo she had managed to entice. It had walked a little further away, unsurprisingly alarmed by the show of clumsiness. To her relief, it hadn't gone far and seemed more intrigued by the fallen bag of snacks than of running away.

She cracked a wary grin at the red-headed woman as she began to apologise, though the apology was enough for Saiyin to forget about her slight frustration at the tumble. Saiyin lunged across the grass for the bag and yanked it from the inquisitive tongue of the okomo with an, "Ohh no you don't!" Finally, giving enough chance for the woman to catch her calm again if she so wanted, Saiyin turned around again and theatrically patted herself down. "No damage done. Don't worry, these things happen." She nodded to herself.

"I'm Saiyin. Are you enjoying the festival? There's a lot going on, although it's miserable weather this year." She pulled a face at the swirling, grey landscape, but there wasn't any seriousness in her demeanour. She ran her eyes over the woman thoughtfully. She had pretty clothes, and a slightly unusual aesthetic that she couldn't quite place. "I like your hair! How did you get it like that?"

"And I see you don't have any dye for the okomo. Did you want to do any painting? I have some colours, I'm sure we could share if you wanted to."
Aware that she was plastering the woman with questions, she stopped and ran a hand through her hair sheepishly. For a moment, she turned her attention back to the okomo that was her new friend. She rummaged in the treat bag and found an unidentifiable lump of some kind of pale vegetable. Saiyin put it in the palm of her hand, and slowly kneeled herself closer to the animal. She could smell its musty breath and tried to breathe through her mouth rather than smell the slightly unpleasant scent. The okomo seemed interested in the veggie though, and Saiyin giggled a little like a child as bent its head and ate up the offering.

She turned her head back to the woman. "There, that should keep him or her interested!"
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Narifa on June 8th, 2018, 6:32 pm

5th Summer 518 AV
Narifa was beyond grateful when the strange woman's lips stretched into a grin, eyes playful and lacking any ill-intent. The Inartan lowered her hands to watch the other lunge for a bag being woefully subjected to the goat's searching tongue. A giggle bubbled up in Narifa's throat. What fun, this woman seemed! Covered in dirt, knees grass-stained, and face a little pained, Narifa smiled right back.

"I'm sorry, Saiyin. My name is Narifa. I can't say much about the rest of the festival, but what I've seen so far has been absolutely wonderful!" The glass beads in her hair clacked together as she pulled herself to her feet, "And my hair...just grows this way. It's quite the popular style, back home."

Lovingly, Narifa wrapped soft fingers around one of her myriad of locks. Her hair'd been a point of pride for most of her life. The locks told the world who she was, a flame burning for the culture she'd always known and loved. Waist-length and shockingly bright, it was one of the few things on her person that she would go to any lengths to take care of. Saiyin's compliment had her subtly preening.

Narifa started when the woman mentioned that word, 'Okomo'. Before she could interrupt and ask about it, Saiyin had already turned away to interact with the goat creature. The young traveler used the momentary lapse in conversation to gaze around the current festival grounds, eyes bouncing from stall to stall, and from painted horn after painted horn. The designs and colours flooding her vision had her fingers itching to give it a try. When Narifa's gaze locked itself onto Saiyin's happy hazel-green stare, she nodded.

"I would love to, if you don't mind sharing. But could you just tell me one thing?" The request fell past her lips in the quiet tones of momentary shyness. She didn't think she would, but somewhere in her mind Narifa worried that Saiyin might laugh at her.

"What is an 'Okomo'?"

Narifa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saiyin on June 23rd, 2018, 4:32 pm

"Speech"

"Narifa. It's a pleasure to meet you, even if it is in funny circumstances." Saiyin winked. She idly plucked at the grass and ran her hand over the damp, earthy surface whilst keeping an eye on the okomo. "Where is back home, if you don't mind me asking? I assumed you were from here, but I guess not. It's always fascinating to talk to foreigners. Did you travel far to reach Lhavit, and why did you come?" Saiyin tilted her head in Narifa's direction, friendly inquisitiveness playing in her eyes.

"As for okomo..! I'm so sorry. It must be a little odd for you, especially if you haven't been here long. The okomo is this creature you see before you, the same as the many others that are dotted across these mountain slopes. This is a festival in honour of them, because they're very important to Lhavit. And this one has quite a voracious appetite! We paint their horns with coloured dye if they let us, and feed them treats."

"Speaking of..-"
Saiyin began to separate out a few colours from her small selection. She had red, blue, white and black, but only one paintbrush between them. She was feeling rather relaxed, despite the chilling mist. Perhaps it was the placid company of the okomo, or the more interesting introduction of the stranger named Narifa. She wasn't sure, but she was looking forward to getting to know the pretty woman. Saiyin was having to force herself to stop staring at the gorgeous, red locks with their exquisite glass beads that chinked and chimed whenever she turned her head. Her own hair, in comparison, was plain, but she wondered whether she could make glass beads for decorative purposes. She had never tried anything that small... How could she do it?

"We'll have to share the paintbrush I'm afraid, Narifa. Otherwise, here are some colours. I'll let you go first, as long as you don't mind me bothering you with questions. I'm really fascinated with your glass beads! I own Sesr Glassworks, up on Tenten Peak, and I'd love to be able to make something similar. The colours might be tricky, but, do you have any idea how they were made? By any chance?" It might be a long shot, but even if the other woman knew nothing, it was worth asking just in case.

ooc :
a) So sorry for the long wait! I had a busy week. :disgust:
b) I never realised Saiyin would be such a chatterbox. xD
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Narifa on June 26th, 2018, 11:37 pm

5th Summer 518 AV
"The pleasure is entirely mine, Saiyin." Realizing that the funny woman, Saiyin, was still on the ground, Narifa dropped back down to her knees, blue-grey eyes lazily trailing after the other's caresses, "I've just arrived from Wind Reach. If you're not too familiar, it's about a nine-day journey on Wind Eagle, down from the northernmost tip of Kalea. Although....I think I was a little too excited to think about any time passing, so it didn't seem that long."

The Inartan cast her thoughts back to the trip down. She really had been off in her own world. She had been frozen to the Wind Eagle's back, at times thrilled to be leaving, and at others terrified by the thought of what was to come. When the two warring emotions mixed, the nausea present throughout the whole ride would rise full force. Narifa hoped those feelings couldn't be seen on her face in this moment.

"As for why I left," Narifa quirked her lips, rummaging around in her head for the most concise explanation.

"I wanted to experience life," she started, and followed that with a mumbled, "No, that isn't entirely right..."

A thin finger came up to her cheek in the ensuing silence, tapping in an effort to physically manifest what she was trying to say, "I wanted to see what was beyond the horizon of my home. To listen to the stories of others and immortalize them, both in my own thoughts and with my craft."

With that out in the open, Narifa moved her attention over to the goat. Or the okomo, rather. It certainly did have quite an appetite. She watched as it's glistening nose twitched up and down, no doubt searching for any food Saiyin had packed in that bag of hers. She listened to the woman's words with an attentive ear, wanting to understand what it was about this creature that required an entire day dedicated to it's life. Was it the way its eyes flickered with uncanny intelligence? It was pinning them down with its too knowing stare, spindly limbs pawing at the ground impatiently. Narifa could almost feel the way an okomo would take shape in her glass. It was unfortunate that she was only skilled enough to be able to capture its body, and not its inherent discernment.

"You don't have to worry about sharing the brush, I'm quite alright with it. Unless you'd like me to get my own, of course." This was not the case, as Saiyin held out the tool. The shorter woman graciously accepted it. She let the paintbrush dangle between her fingers, a balancing act for the small moment in which she studied the horns. Then, with the steady hand of someone used to dealing with fragile materials, she coated the bristles in white and brought it to the left horn. Her hand paused, however, at the comment about her beads.

The sunniest smile Narifa had in her arsenal plastered itself on her face as she whipped her head back to Saiyin, beads clinking, feathers settling in odd places, "Thank you! Some of them were gifts, like this one," She found one of the first gifted to her - a delicate thing the same green as the sea, and dotted with uneven white circles - and twirled it in the foggy light, "But most of them were made in my workshop back home."

Her fingers ventured back into her hair and found the first one she'd ever gotten the chance to make. It had a rough surface, and was overcome by lumps and air bubbles. But it still brought a feeling of contentment whenever she pulled it out. A small and crude accessory though it was, she could still see how much she'd changed, and she could see the love of her craft that had only grown with time. When Narifa let go, it remained at the forefront of her hair. Something else intrigued her, as well, and as she finally started painting the horn, she found herself buzzing with a litany of questions.

"Are you a glassblower? Well, you own a glass workshop, of course you are. They're fairly simple to do, once you get the hang of opening the middle up. I could show you, if you'd like? I'm staying at the Solar Wind Apartments, so I can give you my information when we're done. I'd love to see Sesr Glassworks, too! It's always inspiring to observe other artisans at work..." And on Narifa went, excitement at actually finding another glassblower lighting up her expressions. Her free hand had a mind of its own, animatedly moving this way and that. Saiyin had definitely just become the number one person that Narifa wanted to befriend.

OOC :
No worries! This one is also incredibly long, wow, my bad
Narifa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saiyin on July 23rd, 2018, 2:25 pm

"Speech"
"Others"

As the woman from Wind Reach spoke, Saiyin became more eager to hear her tales, fascinated as she was of the places and cities that existed outside of Lhavit. To her, Narifa was already something of an amazing mystery. She was someone who knew glassworking for a start, something that seemed rare even amongst the various craftspeople and learned folk of the glittering city. Another thing, as she listened with rapt attention, was the brief mention of wind eagles. Again, growing up in Lhavit meant that she couldn't miss the culture of the Inarta, but her own personal education had been rather lax on other cultures and had instead favoured logical thinking and magic. Much of which she'd tried very hard to forget and put behind her, after the subsequent deaths of her parents.

Musing to herself, she nodded as Narifa spoke and her eyes lit at the frank description of why she had left her home. It seemed a good reason, a solid and honest decision which hadn't hinged on wild ideas of seeking grandeur and glory. "I think that's a very good reason to leave indeed. From what I've heard of Wind Reach, it's a fascinating and amazing place to live. I never really learnt much about other cultures as a child though. What else can you tell me about where you used to live? I'd be interested to know if it's anything similar to Lhavitian life... There must be so many differences!"

Saiyin watched Narifa painting the okomo's horn, and decided to sit cross-legged for comfort. She leant back on her hands, which were placed on the soft, almost mossy grass as she chatted with the red-headed woman. She was entirely relaxed, bright and bubbly and filled with curiosity. With enthusiasm lacing her voice, and just as eager to meet another glassblower as Narifa was, she replied, "Oh yes! Yes, you must come to the Glassworks. You can use my tools and equipment as much as you like, so long as you teach me things that you know too. I would be delighted to make glass beads. My problem is that me and my teacher know very little about making coloured glass. It was really Hess' hobby, and mine too for that matter."

"Now it's a job, and honestly..."
She trailed off, and looked down at where her fingers were entwined with the mossy green grass. Honestly, her work was harder than she cared to admit. Glassblowing wasn't so difficult, but running a business and trying not to think of the debt she was in was significantly worse than playing about with cherry red, molten glass. She raised her eyes back up to study Narifa's face, seeing the set of her eyes and the grey-blue sparkling within them.

"Well, honestly the job is harder than I thought it would be. I'm not afraid to admit I'm in huge debt to the city. I suppose I'll be able to pay it off, but in the meantime it's quite a worry, sometimes. And I always try not to worry about most things, but running a business is so unpredictable. I'm so glad I've been able to come out and enjoy the festival today, though. It is such a lovely escape, after the heat of the furnace!" She laughed, and rolled backwards onto the grass, her head tilting upsidedown. She smiled to herself at the children running further away, their own laughter shrill and pleasant at the same time. Everything looked so strange from her viewpoint. Even the grass looked strangely magical, the dew drops glinting in the light as the sky rushed past in the wrong direction.
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Narifa on July 28th, 2018, 10:11 pm

5th Summer 518 AV
"Oh, there are so many differences I'm afraid I wouldn't even know where to begin!" Narifa's laughter rode the accompanying sigh that fell from lips. She was terribly overjoyed that someone - that this someone in particular - had taken an interest in her home. She could talk about Wind Reach for hours, paint pictures and write music about its lovely peaks with her adoring facial expressions alone. But in this moment, melancholy stained her words and left an iron tang on her tongue.

"We certainly don't have any of these," The Inarta turned her attention back to the Okomo and the horns she was covering with colour. It was just a shapeless mass of paint for now. As she listened to Saiyin speak of her work, Narifa found herself thinking back to the equally shapeless mass that was her first time working with coloured glass and materials. She'd ended up with a semi-hard pile the colour of drying mud; Master had practically thrown her into the pits for wasting precious metals. She found it again later, uncovered golden flecks sparkling in the sun, hanging on a fraying bit of rope around the man's neck. This day seemed destined to become the one in which every passing comment brought a little spark of homesickness to her heart.

It was because of Master that she could reply with confidence.

"Coloured glass is actually quite simple once you understand the basic properties and possible shade outcomes of your metal and sand combinations. And, as in all glass trade, your heat is very very important." Narifa absentmindedly picked another paint colour after wiping the brush off on her pants. The pigment would come out in the wash, anyway.

"But even if it is important, I would agree with you on that. Sometimes even the coldest winter night is a welcome change to the bellows," Her blue-grey eyes slipped to the side and observed the other woman as she sprawled out on the grass, every worry sinking into the earth with the screeching of the children. She wondered what stories Saiyin had to tell. Narifa could see them in her smile. She could see them in the way the corners of mouth tilted, and in the way she let herself loosen up. The girl's curiosity was piqued.

"You mentioned someone named..Hess? Who is she, if you don't mind my prying?" She called back to Saiyin without turning around.

Around the horn, a clear Wind Reach night had begun to form under Narifa's careful strokes. With the fog swirling around the city's peaks, she doubted that the stars were something she would get to see anytime soon. The hollow ache of nostalgia darkened her features, and her earnest smile slipped away. It was as if this tiny ray of sunshine had been trapped by the black clouds of inclement weather.

Narifa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saiyin on August 5th, 2018, 9:26 pm

"Speech"
"Others"

Saiyin listened with her attention turned in full to the fascinating woman as she talked about glassblowing. She tucked the information away level of knowledge that she just wouldn't be able to attain unless she attended the library. The glassblower pursed her lips and blew out a little breath into the air, whilst watching the air and the mist swirling above her head. Her fingers burrowed into the grass and her eyes closed as she breathed deep for just a tick, luxuriating in the feel of the earth beneath her and the pleasant company of a newfound friend.

When Narifa gently enquired who Hess was, Saiyin pushed herself back up to sitting so as to explain properly. She missed the look of nostalgia that ran across the red-head's face, but her eyes flitted over to the painting that she was forming on the okomo's horn. Ever ready with compliments, Saiyin uttered, "That's a lovely painting!" It was genuine too, but although she wanted to have a closer look, she waited until she finished explaining who Hessel was.

"Hess... Hessel... is my friend, but she was my step-mother for a time too. She's a lovely Eypharian, works at the Zintia Rest, on Zintia Peak. It's a bathhouse, though I don't visit it as often as I should." She chuckled a little and grinned shamelessly. "Anyway, when my mother died, father remarried and Hessel was his wife. When my da died too, I was old enough to inherit the house and Hessel found it too sad to live there. She lives close by now, and I live in the Sesr family home. Oh, and it was from Hess that I found out about glassblowing! It's one of her many hobbies. I suppose she saw something like it in Eyktol. I imagine they have a perfect atmosphere for it... Hot, and imagine all that sand, stretching out forever..."

She tailed off and shuffled position again, so that she could sit with her hands across her knees in a peaceful, comfortable position. "It probably sounds a bit heavy, telling you all that and we've only met today! Really though, it's the past and I can't change what's already happened. All I can do is be happy, which is all anyone would want for their child, and I am. Happy, that is. That's a little bit about me, anyway! Now for you, Narifa."

Saiyin looked closer at the painting, and shuffled closer to have a look at the painted whirls and swirls the Inarta had imparted onto the glasslike horn. "I really like the painting, it's looking good. Did anyone teach you to paint? Or indeed, I've told you about my glassblowing teacher. Where did you learn how to blow glass?"

The young woman reached forwards and softly stroked the okomo between its magnificent horns. Its fur was soft, almost warm to the touch, and up close the amber eyes were oddly powerful. She admired the colour, looking deeper, and saw the swirls even inside the eye of the animal. Its unblinking stare was almost amusing, but the beautiful colour and the pattern of the eye was incredible, almost glasslike in its quality. Saiyin tilted her head towards Narifa, and this time there was less of the playfulness in her expression, more of the seriousness. "Hey, Narifa... What's your ambition, when it comes to your craft? What do you hope to achieve with the skills you have?"

WC: 572
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Narifa on August 16th, 2018, 2:24 pm

5th Summer 518 AV
Narifa murmered a thank you at the other's compliment before falling silent to listen to Saiyin's soft explanation. Her attention snagged on another term she was unfamiliar with: Eypharians and Eyktol were not concepts she had come across before. She could hardly imagine what such a heat-adapted people and such a desert landscape would be like! A mental checklist of places she wanted to visit at least once unfurled in her head, and Eyktol quite nicely tacked onto the end of the list.

Narifa blinked when Saiyin stopped her story so abruptly, claiming that it was too heavy a subject matter for their first meeting. She hadn't thought anything of it either way, but on a day of festivities like this one, weighted pasts should stay in the past.

"You want to...know more about me?" The Inarta was delighted that that was the case, and that Saiyin seemed genuinely interested in her own tales, "I learned how to paint during my schooling years. At least a basic knowledge of it is a required part of our education."

She stuck her tongue out the corner of her lips in a curious show of concentration, "Glassblowing...well, that's quite the story. Let's just say it was a childhood fascination that I could never quite get ride of. A fascination that seemed more like a plague, really, leaving with all of the symptoms a none of the pain. My teacher was much the same, and he picked me out of a crowd of budding talents. He never told me why, nor what drew him to me. I wish I could have asked him properly, before..."

Quiet words trailed off. Narifa knew what she needed to say. She had the statement ready to go, complete with what inflection she would place on each word. But they remained stuck to her throat. At the most pivotal moment, they became sharp in her mouth, their pointy ends digging into her teeth. She couldn't say it. If she said it, it would make everything all too real, and all too soon. Master had seemed larger than life itself, able to look something as instrumental as Death in the eye and call it trivial, not worth his time.

She swallowed the words back down with a hard gulp before picking the conversation back up.

"He wanted to teach me everything he knew, for me to show the world how beautiful glass could be, because compared to him, my time was unlimited. He told me to learn as much as I could. I want to become skilled enough in the craft to call myself an expert, and to be recognized as such. It's my childhood dream, after all," A tiny smile fitted itself onto the girl's lips, "My own special sickness."

"But what about you, Saiyin? You say glassblowing was your stepmother's hobby.How did it become yours? And how did that translate to an entire workshop? I'm quite curious." Narifa flicked the brush one last time to pepper the night sky with stars. She stood back to admire her work, proud of the scene taking place on such an unorthodox medium as an Okomo horn. With a triumphant nod, the paintbrush was placed back into one of the paint pots, and her body maneuvered its way to the patch of grass next to her conversational partner.

She was eager to hear her reply.

Narifa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next