The Adventure Begins[Goss]

Jace arrives in Syka

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Jace on June 21st, 2018, 6:08 pm

~Meeting The Founders~

He smelled the settlement before he saw it; all the different animal scents and the aroma of fresh fruit and other flora he had never smelled before got the Kelvic's heart racing. He smiled his wolfish grin as he leaned over the deck straining to get a glimpse of his new home. He had heard that Syka was located at the edge of a vast jungle, perfect for a wolf to run through and an adventurer to explore.

He felt the cold spray of the sea on his bare chest as the waves crashed against the side of the catamaran. The salty air stung his sensitive nose at first, but he quickly got used to it. He no longer felt the dizziness of the rocking boat, though it wasn't something he looked forward to doing again soon. The sea was no place for a wolf.

Before long, Syka was in full view and Jace could see just how vast the forest really was. It covered everything. There was a large stretch of beach too, where a few man-made structures dotted the shore. The reality of his decision was finally setting in; he was no longer at home in Riverfall, but out in a brand new land with no one he knew. The excitement quickly turned to fear, the pit in his stomach grew at the thought of being alone. The deep-seated nightmare he always had of never finding his bondmate took over. He needed to get off this boat. He needed to run, to feel the wind rushing through his fur. He started to panic, until the captain came up to him to let him know it was time for him to make his way to shore. He quickly gathered his things, threw the backpack over his shoulder and got off the catamaran.

They were close enough to the shore that the water only came up to his knees, but Jace wasn't focused on that. His only thought was to make it to the beach and find whoever was in charge. As he walked, the wet, mushy sand under his bare feet began to grow warmer and dryer as he got closer to the beach.

There weren't any people in sight on the beach, but several different scents still lingered in the air. One was fresh, accompanied by footprints in the sand that hadn't quite been swept away just yet. Curious and determined, Jace used his nose to help him follow the fresh scent as he went in the direction of the footprints in the sand.

The footprints, along with the scent that was unmistakably male and human, lead the Kelvic to a well worn path in the underbrush of the forest that lead to a lofted bungalow which was noticeably crafted with care and passion. The scent was all over the place here, as if whoever Jace had been following did nothing but spend every waking moment in this structure. Either that, or they had been here for quite a while.

"Hello? Anybody there!?" he shouted, hoping someone would answer. If they did, or came out to see where the source of the voice came from, they would find a young man with short, messy, white-blond hair standing shirtless at the base of the structure. His toned body glistened in the sunlight, though whether it was from sweat or the spray of the sea was uncertain. Probably a mix of both. His eyes were a startling sky blue, and unmistakably animalistic in nature. A short sword hung at his right hip, while a quiver and bow were slung over his left shoulder, his backpack and the rest of his belongings were on the ground to the right of him.
Jace
Player

Words: 38770
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2018, 2:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 23rd, 2018, 12:38 am

Randal was busy, but not too busy to pop his head over the rail of his bungalow, look down, and beckon the newcomer up. “Come on up.” His lofted bungalow had a large deck that wrapped completely around him giving him a three hundred and sixty-five-degree view of both the sea and the ocean. A long sweeping stairway lead up to its lofted height. If Jace was to climb it, he’d find immediately why. At the ground floor there was a sort of stifling humidity as Randal’s place was buried in the green above the beach. But once he climbed higher, cool ocean breezes and the shade from the overhanging roof made an incredibly pleasant atmosphere.

The deck was scattered with furniture, groupings of chairs, a long work table filled with papers weighted down with seashells and interesting rocks, and even a metal firepit that allowed Randal to have a fire on it without the risk of burning down his bungalow. The bungalow itself was all open, with a kitchen bleeding into a dining room that broke off into a living area and a bedroom with a massive four poster bed. There was no real division of space and all the furniture was on the cruder side, but intensely comfortable looking. Shutters that looked like they rolled down could close the main room of the bungalow off from the balcony in the event of storms, but otherwise there was no real walls. Mosquito netting also draped the bed area and more netting could be pulled down to actually protect the entire inner bungalow if necessary.

Randal himself was a tall man, well-muscled, with a dark dark skin showing his hours in the sun. He had a warm golden gaze and an open personality. When Jace joined him, Randal would push a bowl of fruit towards him, pour him some ice-cold water… which seemed odd out in the hot summer sun… and he’d introduce himself. “I’m Randal…. What can I do for you? Are you new to Syka?” He asked, certain that this was probably yet another settler freshly arrived.

“I can help you with all kinds of things… finding a place to live, a purpose…. a way to earn money…” He added, gesturing at the fruit. “Have something to eat and drink… and tell me a little about yourself!” He said, sitting down – probably for the first time that day – and really taking some time to talk to Jace.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Jace on June 23rd, 2018, 3:14 am

Jace got an answer immediately. A friendly face popped over the railing up above in the bungalow, telling the Kelvic to come up. So, he did just that. Picking up his bags again, Jace made his way up the long, sweeping stairway to the lofted bungalow. Upon reaching the top, he immediately noticed the change in atmosphere. Down below on the forest floor it was extremely hot and humid. Up here, in the bungalow itself, the air was a lot cooler and much less humid. It was....comfortable.

There was a bunch of strangely comfortable looking furniture strewn about the deck including a work table filled with papers and a metal fire pit. The man himself was tall and muscular; his dark skin showed Jace just how much time he had spent in the sun. He was friendly too, offering the Kelvic some fruit and ice-cold water which Jace took gratefully. The man said his name was Randal, and had asked Jace if he was new to Syka. He mentioned being able to help the young wolf, including living arrangements and a way to earn money.

Sitting down on one of the many chairs on the deck, he took a sip of his water and placed his bags on the floor before introducing himself. "My name's Jace, and yes I am new here." he said in answer to Randal's own introduction. "Well, I'm a Kelvic wolf born and raised in Riverfall. Growing up, my father would take me on regular nightly hunting trips and taught me everything he knew about surviving in the wild. My grandfather taught me how to use his short sword," he said, tapping the hilt of the sword at his hip. "After he died, he made me promise to leave Riverfall and explore Mizahar the way he always wished he could. I plan on keeping that promise, starting by making a life of my own here in Syka. Since this is a new settlement, I was hoping to learn the skills here that I'd need to survive on my own in the rest of the world, and improve the ones I already have."

He paused there for a moment, taking a bite of one of the fruits in the bowl Randal had offered him and washing it down with some more water. It was surprisingly very refreshing and he was thankful for the drink. He took another bite of fruit, and then continued to talk. "Where was I? Oh, right. You said you could help me. Where can I find a spot to make my home here and do you have any way for me to make money that would keep me outdoors? The more time I spend in this jungle, the better." he said, his mouth still full of fruit. His parents had done what they could to try and teach him good manners after he reached maturity, but it was hard for him to pick up good social skills in only a couple of months.

Jace
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 23rd, 2018, 2:33 pm

Randal was glad the newcomer joined him and seemed to settle in all friendly. He was surprised the young wolf introduced himself as Kelvic. Most of his kind tried to hide it, though to someone who was used to seeing them out and about, it tended to be obvious after a while. Randal was a good listener, so when Jace started to talk, he wisely held his tongue and nodded, listening to the youth.

It was refreshing that Jace was open about what he wanted. “Syka indeed needs settlers, especially people that want to make a life here. A lot of us are here because we have bad memories or just want to get away from the grind of other places. There’s something very good for the soul here. And there are lots of Kelvics here already. Most of them are cats, so if you can tolerate that, you’ll do fine. We have a small yowlwing named Nieve who tends to flutter about joyfully. We also have a large forest cat that leads the Rangers. Both of those felines are unbonded. What about you? Do you have bondmate?” He asked, curiously. There were several unattached people in Syka that would make good candidates if Jace was interested. “I’d be glad to introduce you to folks but mostly it won’t be necessary. As you wander around and get the lay of the land, they will probably introduce themselves.” He added, then grew quiet as Jace continued on.

Randal was glad to see Jace nibble on the fruit. Newcomers were always more comfortable with food in front of them. And it was a gesture that was important… the sharing of bounty. It said a lot about what Syka had become. When Jace asked his questions, Randal nodded. “We luckily offer 5 acres of free land to anyone who wants to stay and become a permanent resident of Syka. There are plenty of jobs outdoors. We have hunters, gatherers, fisherman, and we also have Rangers who are blazing trails and scouting the Maw making it safe for the settlers. It sounds like you have the right skills for just about anything you want to do. I can help you set up your land. You just have to find a piece you like that’s not claimed and then claim it. Once you do that, you can build a home on it if you want. Or, I can put you on the list and help build it. That’s not a free service, but our prices are reasonable. We can also loan up to 1500 for a business if you’d like to start one here. The sky is virtually the limit in Syka.” Randal added, beckoning around himself.

“Do you have a preference for employment or are you thinking of starting your own business? We have several new business owners here that are doing fairly well. One woman, Tailyn, is capturing and raising parrots and then selling the trained birds in Riverfall.” He said, thoughtful… “And we have others exporting fruit and textiles.” He added, not sure if Jace was really the business type. He simply wanted to keep the Kelvic’s options open.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jace on June 23rd, 2018, 9:53 pm

~21, SUMMER, 518AV~

Jace was surprised to hear there were more Kelvics already settled here. After his time in Riverfall and what he had learned from Ja'lek, it was good to know there were places that didn't discriminate his kind. He couldn't help but smile at the thought. All though, the fact that they were cats, well...his first instinct wasn't pleasant. A low growl started to emanate from deep in his throat, but it quickly subsided. He could tolerate the felines, especially here. It was a new start, and after what he knew about how his kind was treated elsewhere, well he thought they might be glad to have a new friend. He knew he certainly would be. "I can tolerate them. I'd actually like to meet them and introduce myself." he said, taking another sip of the refreshing ice water, trying not to look so upset at the mentioning of bondmates.

"No, I'm not bonded yet. My parents kept me pretty isolated. They said it was to make sure I didn't bond prematurely, but I think part of it was because of how my kind is treated in Riverfall. It, it's not something I like talking about. I look forward to meeting the settlers here, but for now let's move on." It was harder for him to get that out than it may have looked. Not finding a bondmate, forever alone with this incredible yearning to find a partner; it was his biggest fear. Luckily, Randal seemed to be very understanding and indeed the conversation continued.

Jace took another bite of the fruit, and couldn't help exclaiming his love for it. "This fruit is amazing! What is it?" he asked, the words barely recognizable through the mouthful of fruit. "Oh, right," he added as he washed down the last of the fruit in his mouth. "The ones blazing trails and scouting, the Rangers? That sounds good to me. Just point me in the right direction!" His words were punctuated with a smile, his right hand brushing back his white-blond hair as he finished speaking. "As for claiming my own land and building my home, can I have some time to explore the area before deciding? I'd like to find a nice spot in or near the jungle to take as my own. Though, I doubt I could build a chair with the skills I have, let alone a house. Tell me, how do I go about getting the help or instruction to do that?"

He decided to stand then, as he waited for Randal's answer to his questions and request to join the Rangers. He needed to stretch his legs, move around as he talked. He was never one to sit still, and this was no exception to that. As he stood, he turned to face the coast. In doing so, a dark blue triangle with a new moon could be seen between his shoulder blades. Stars dotted the empty space and seemed to twinkle and move as if it were alive. His mark of Akajia, the Goddess of the Night, Queen of the Shadows. His mark was impossible to mistake for anything other than what it was, and no doubt Randal would say as much if he noticed.

Last edited by Jace on June 24th, 2018, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jace
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 23rd, 2018, 10:38 pm

Randal smiled. “Last thing we need around here is a war between felines and canines. Glad you won’t mind them and can get along. The ladies will probably enjoy having another Kelvic around as well.” He said, chuckling softly to himself. He had heard the growl and saw the displeasure on Jace’s face, but the fact was he was sadly outnumbered and if the ladies even remotely thought he wouldn’t like them, they’d make it a personal mission to change his mind. Nieve would probably attach herself to him like glue and FORCE him to like her. The bubbly yowlwing was infectious with her good spirits. Nya, on the other hand, would just eat him if he gave the ladies too much trouble. Randal watched Jace and decided regardless of what happened, it would be an interesting time.

“I didn’t mean to pry about the Bondmate. I just usually ask because if there’s someone else with you, I’d like to accommodate their needs too.” He explained. “I’ve been to Riverfall. I know they consider Kelvics pets there. The Akalak are an old race, far older than the Kelvic. Much like geriatric humans, you have to give that some consideration as well.” He added, not knowing if the Kelvic understood how long the Akalak had been around.

“The brown one with the green innards is Kiwi. The sort of ruddy brown with the bright orange flesh is a mango. They both grow around here abundantly.” Randal said, smiling. He plucked a banana off the bowl, peeled it half way, and handed it to the wolf. “Try this one. Its amazingly good for you. No seeds inside. It’s a banana.” He added, taking one for himself and snacking on it.

“You’ll want to see Nya about joining the Rangers then. She lives out by Treasure Point.. the big hill towards the south… overlooking the south part of the bay. Her Bungalow is lofted and at the top of Treasure Point. As far as finding land, take as long as you want. Pick just the right spot. There are a lot of places available still and once you decide, I’ll help you mark the boundaries and note you down as owning it. I’m the chief builder around here. I can either build a bungalow for you if you tell me what you want or I can assist you in building one. They cost around 850 GM for one like mine and the more you help the less it costs. If you don’t have the money, we can loan it to you. You can take a year or so to pay it back… up to two. Payment can be in coin, barter, trade, or labor… we’re open to all sorts.” He added, smiling at Jace. Jace looked young and strong, just the exact type of creature Syka needed.

“My docket is fairly full, but I can get your house up by the end of the season as long as you don’t take too long picking land and are willing to do some of the heavy lifting and hauling for me.” Randal nodded, noting as Jace turned that he had Akajia’s mark on him.

He didn’t say anything about it. Gnosis marks were personal and if Jace was a follower that was his business. But he knew Nieve had one also. Just for a moment Randal wondered why the Night Lady had an interest in Syka. For that had to be a reason why she’d send two Nightstalkers here. Maybe if he got to know Jace later on, he’d ask him. Maybe the Kelvic didn’t know himself. It was interesting fodder for Randal’s intellect though and the man had some deep thinking to do.

“Do you have any more questions? We have Quest Quarters down on the beach you can stay at until you pick your land. They aren’t anything fancy, but you’ll find them comfortable with cushions and bedding under The Commons in big cabinets. We ask if you dirty the bedding you launder it before you return it to the cabinets or help the women who come to do it as a service to the community.” He said, gesturing in the direction of Swing Beach. “All you need to do is follow the beach north from here until you find the swings… .that’s just outside of the center of Syka.. move inland and you will find the Guest Quarters, The Syka Commons, the Kitchens, and all the communal areas. There will be people there to meet too.” Randal said, giving him some guidance on what to do next.

“Do you have any more questions for me?” He asked, knowing Jace probably did have more or if he was as restless as he looked pacing, maybe it was time he got going…
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jace on June 24th, 2018, 5:37 am

~21, Summer, 518AV~

A war between feline and canine Kelvics was definitely the last thing Jace wanted. At least Randal had a sense of humor. Apparently the strange fruit he had been eating was called a Kiwi. Looking around, he could see just what Randal meant when he said they grew everywhere. Strange he hadn't noticed them before. His attention was brought back to the conversation at hand when Randal handed him a yellow fruit he called a banana. Skeptical, Jace took the banana and bit off almost all of the skinless portion that was showing.

"Wow this is really good too. Thanks for all the fruit," he said as he sat back down into his chair. He continued to eat as Randal spoke. Apparently someone named Nya was who he needed to talk to if he wanted to join the Rangers. His gaze was drawn to the large hill in the south, something called Treasure Point. The name was certainly enough to draw Jace's attention. It was no wonder this Nya person chose to make her home their. The name held secrets, and he was sure it wasn't the only one to be uncovered here in Syka. "Nya and Treasure Point, hmm? Sounds like she chose an interesting plot of land to claim. I'll definitely have to check that out." he said, a sort of mysterious smile on his face.

"It's a relief to know I can take my time finding the perfect plot of land for me. Even more of a relief to know you'll help me build and offer a loan. I don't have much money and 850GM is a little out of my price range at the moment," he said, trying and failing to sound more interested about what he was saying. The conversation had taken a bit of a toll on him, and he was getting restless. The ache in the pit of his stomach that appeared every time Bonding was mentioned had been quickly replaced by curiosity and that same curiosity was spinning out of control. Everything about this place reeked of secrets and mystery. With locations like Treasure Point nearby, he was just itching to start exploring and uncovering what else Syka might be hiding.

He was restless, and it definitely showed. He just couldn't keep still at all thinking about what was just waiting to be uncovered here. He found himself walking around the bungalow as he listened to the rest of what Randal had to say, picking up and fidgeting with random things around the man's home. He had just put back down a random piece of paper he had picked up from the work bench when he heard mention of the Guest Quarters and how to get there. "That sounds perfect! I'm sure I can find it easily enough," he said, hurriedly stepping back over to where he left his bags and threw them over his free shoulder.

"Thank you so much for your help, Randal. I don't have any other questions now, but I'm sure I will at some point. I'm just a little anxious to get settled in and meet with Nya." Jace grabbed another banana and peeled it the way he had seen Randal do before making his way back to the stairs. "Thanks again for all your help!" he shouted back, half running and half walking down the sweeping stairs ready to head in the direction Randal had said the Guest Quarters would be.

Last edited by Jace on June 24th, 2018, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jace
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 24th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Jace

Experience:
Observation +4, Socialization +4, Interrogation +2, Foraging +1, Planning +4

Lores: Randal: Appearance, Personality, Location Of Home, Foraging: Kiwi, Bananas, Magons – Appearance, Grow Wild All Over Syka, Syka: Needs Skilled Settlers, Syka: Accepts Kelvics, Has Lots of Kelvic Felines, Syka: Gives Five Acres Of Free Land To Anyone Settling, Syka: Offers Loans For Up To 1500, Syka: Bungalows Cost Aprox 850, Nya: Will Get You Started In The Rangers, Randal: Will Build Bungalow By End Of Season, Syka: Guests Can Stay At Guest Quarters, Syka: Communal Areas Are Syka Commons, Kitchens, Etc

Notes: You’re a perfect “new player”. I really enjoyed doing this first thread with you and loved the richness of your descriptions and the way you played your PC off in his thought process and actions. I hope you have a lovely time in Syka. Feel free to shoot me any sort of question anytime. Chat is the easiest, but my PM box is always open.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes