[The Library] Books, books and more books

Kreig discovered Sunberth's only library, curiosity got the better of him

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Kreig Messer on June 30th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Summer 48th, 15th bell, 24th chime

Kreig was at the library, a rare sight indeed, so rare in fact it was the first time Kreig had ever set foot in Sunberth’s one and only den of books. You’d think Kreig, being able to read, would have gone to the library long before this… but quite frankly he never cared to do so. In fact till today he never heard of its existence. It was only by chance he fell upon this building as took a risky stroll through Stumble Alley, an area of the street that had met many conflicts involving the Daggerhands.

When he entered he was surprised by the number of books he saw, while the room wasn’t quite large it seemed to have such an amount of books that exceeded Kreig’s expectations, even more surprising is at a glance he could tell they were well taken care off.

At table sat a woman, her nose buried in one of the books, she glanced up briefly in surprise. Her brow raising upward in surprise at the fact there was a visitor.

“Well well, this is a surprise. I expected no one to come to my library” The woman spoke. She had these large lenses covering her eyes, and Kreig could hardly see her eyes beneath them. She rose from her seat, approaching Kreig as if he were a curiousity, and Kreig supposed if none came here then he might as well be. He certainly thought the Library’s existence and the lady who called it ‘my library’ an oddity as well.

“Uh, to be honest I’m surprise there’s a library ‘ere at all” Kreig answered awkwardly, scratching at his thigh, his eyes glancing at the books in wonder “ I’ve been livin’ in the ‘berth for years an’ ain’t seen this place”

The woman nodded “No surprise, none whatsoever. But it has been here quite a long time now, its simply that the dregs outside uneducated, they see not the value of books nor do they desire to” She said “In any case, if you can read you are free to parous the books, even read them so long as you treat the books with the respect they deserve. You may not take any of them with you, even if you wish to buy them” She said bluntly, explaining the rules of this place to a fellow he much needed to know “However, if you wish for a copy to be created, then bring it to me and I shall about copying it for you”

Kreig blinked slowly, he wasn’t even sure if he wished to stay. He’d had access to the Syliran Knight’s library years back when he was a squire and he never touched the books there, he wasn’t sure he’d find anything interesting here. Still he nodded in understanding, no point in riling up the book lover by saying nothing.

“And finally, be quiet as possible. This is a library, a place of reading, while our visitors are few…” Kreig imagine ‘few’ to be counted on one hand “… it is only common courtesy that the atmosphere be as quiet as possible so they can read undsisturbed, do we understand each other?”

“er…uh, yes ma’am” Kreig said, nodding his head.

“Good, I am called Remmy, now if you may excuse I have a book to return to” With that, she turned, returned to her seat, and unceremoniously returned to reading her book like Kreig was no longer here…. Though Kreig had the feeling that didn’t mean she was unawares.

His head looking about, he wandered off at random to the closest shelf and looked at the selection of books, their spines not telling him much about the books they hold.

His hand reaching out to one, he pulled it out, examining the cover briefly before randomly opening to a page, wondering what was the appeal.

He was in for a shock.

Word Count: 649

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on June 30th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Not actually reading the words just yet, Kreig made note of the weight of the book. So much paper together seemed to hold so much weight, his gaze traveled back to Remmy, who’s book seemed to be three books in one judging by the paper. Looking at the pages itself he ran his fingers against the paper’ surface, smooth but firm it felt. His eyes upon the black ink that formed the words that made the book what it was, a container of knowledge ready to impart its contents to those who read it.

It was this point Kreig bothered to read the words on the random page he opened. His eyes scanning the line of words before starting at the upper left corner on the left side of the book, then going from there in a line examining the train of words.

“Oh..” He mumbeled, eyes widening as he began comprehending the meanings, the words themselves were flowerey, fanciful, yet quite descriptive as they tried to pain an image in Kreig’s mind. And what an image they were.

Kreig felt his face heat up, his eyes blinked once. Disbelieving he returned to the beginning of the page and scanning the line of words again. He felt his face heat up again. He turned to another page, as if trying to discern that what he read was real and not a trick of the eyes. His eyes widened again as he read the next words aloud “And so his hands traveleld upon my form, examining every corner as if searching for a treasure until…”Pausing, his mind went blank for a moment before he slowly closed the book, he returned it its nook and turned around before taking a seat and bringing his hands to his face.

What…what did I just read?’ Oh Kreig understood what he just read, he just couldn’t comprehend there was books about such things! ‘ Who in their right mind read such things?!’ Kreig wondered, rubbing his face. Of course, the answer were those who were actually more worldly than Kreig when it came to such things. Shaking his head Kreig tried to forget it, but he knew he’d be thinking about it for a while.

Still, even ignoring it for a bit was a victory. His eyes fell on another book on the table before him, he worried that it would be the same as the other…. But surely not all books are like that? Kreig grabbed it and flipped open a page.

His eyes scanned the words, looking up and down trying to comprehend its meanings…. Except this time he drew a blank. It was as if what was written was in a different language despite some of the words being familiar to him. It hurt his head as he lingered upon a particularly long word and it simply hurt his head trying to gain meaning from it.

In fact, the entire structure was different than the other book which seemed to be explaining something quite… personal and intimate.

Kreig closed the book and pushed aside, bringing his hands now not the hide his embarrassment but massaging away the migraine that began to form.

For containers of knowledge, he was sure finding a whole lot of nothing.

Word count: 544

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on June 30th, 2018, 6:04 pm

“I cannot bear to see this” came the sudden voice of Remmy, Kreig jumped inhis seat as he turned his head to see the goggled woman looking down at him. Kreig quickly glanced back to Remmy’s seat tehn back to her with a boggled expression on his face, his face slackjawed wondering how she moved so fast from there to here and so quietly.

“Um…what?”

“You are reading the books wrong” She said simply, pointing with her chin at the book Kreig just closed “That book is a book of learning, meant to educate those who have a vested interest in the topic it pertains too” She explained “Jumping to the middle of the book is unwise and if I am to guess correctly… I doubt you hold an interest in mathematics, do you”

Kreig looked wide eyed, shaking his head slowly as he had no vocal answer to give. He was feeling quite simple now.

“And that other book you were glancing through? What was it?”

Kreig gulped “Uh… well, it was about a woman who was um… receiving… hands on attention” Kreig said, feeling his face flush up. Remmy looked amused all of a sudden, the corner of her mouth quirking up at Kreig’s explanation.

“Ah, you found a romance novel”

“Novel?” Kreig queried in confusion.

“They are stories, that particular one dealt in romance. And judging by your expression” The corner of her mouth lifted farther “It was… particularly racy”

Kreig coughed all of a sudden, not daring looking Remmy in the lenses. Much to his displeasure it seemed she wanted to laugh yet through determination kept it down without much effort.

“Now now, I do not mean to poke fun. Books are fun, and it disheartens such as myself to see someone who at least has the ability to do so finding trouble in finding one they could enjoy” There was sincerity in her words, though that smirk remained.

She extended her arm and sweeped to the other books on the shelves “As you’ve seen now, there are different kind of books. Some holding wisdom, some holding entertainment, yet all meant to be read by those with enough interest and patience to do so”

She looked back to Kreig, then paused as if a thought struck her “Ah, an idea comes to mind… tell me, judging by your appearance I assume you to be of the sort who has a violent vocation”

Kreig blinked and nodded, he supposed it was obvious enough “Uh, yeah… I’m a prize fighter under Tall Johnny’s” Kreig answered

“Tell me then, do you enjoy your occupation?”

“Uh.. yeah, ‘s a good challenge an’ I fight lots o’ folk of different types, so I’m learning a bunch”

“Good, that narrows things down. Please wait”

She wandered off, still in Kreig’s range of vision as she stopped in front of a particular shelve of books and at a specific spot. Pulling out one book she nodded in satisfaction before returning to Kreig with a smile on her face.

“Read this, perchance you might enjoy it then”

Kreig blinked again, but nodded.

“Also, please start from the beginning. Not that jumping into the middle nonsense, a book is meant to be read from the beginning”

“Um, sure” Kreig blinked as he took the offered book, nodding in satisfaction herself Remmy then returned to her own monster of a book. Looking down at the book he held, with its worn blue cover. Could it really be to his liking?

He supposed it couldn’t be any worse than the other. So with a flip of the cover, he started from the beginning.

Word count: 606
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on July 8th, 2018, 6:46 am

Kreig hadn’t expected much, and so it was of pleasant surprise that his low expectations seemed to be defied as he opened the first page and began to read. Oh there was nothing awe inspiring, grabbing at his eyes or all that, but simply the fact that what he read was easy to read. Unnlike the first choice of his where he jumped right in the middle there was no uh… colorful surprises that turned his cheeks rosy, and it was far easier to understand than the confusing words of his second choice.

The tale started simply with the time old cliché of ‘Once upon a time’ and followed on from there, beginning to paint its picture inside the reader’s mind, easing them into the tale that was being weaved. For Kreig, who wasn’t a voracious reader by any means, it helped him with the pacing and he rarely found himself backtracking to a word or two to figure out the context or even the word itself.

It was strange really, how different knowing the word in sound but not in form made reading difficult. For most of the words Krieg knew, he learned them like most in Sunberth: He listened to everyone else talking. If his mum hadn’t beat the alphabet into his head and taught him some read he doubted he could even make it this far into the second page.

As if in example, there was a cat in this tale that was batting a ball while the hero of this story watched as he lazed on his bed. If he didn’t know how the C in cat was supposed to sound like, he’d probably think it should have been a K. Although he had to admit he didn’t know why the C had to sound like a K, but there you go.

The corner of Kreig’s smile tugged up a bit, enjoying what he read so far. He didn’t see any fighting going about, but he expected that to come about late. He’d heard many a bard tale that didn’t have any fights going on till later, so why would a book be different?

His fingers traced the edge of the page before reaching the corner, flipping it over to reveal the next page as he lost himself to the story. The hero in the story was a bland person it seemed, at least in his own words, who wanted more. Kreig chuckled lightly at that, sounded like something he’d heard plenty of times. In fact he’d seen it in Syliras with many of the volunteer squires, so much so Kreig wondered if it was the breeding ground for the sorts who ‘dream of grand adventures and far away places’.

Believe you me, kid. Life of grand adventures is jus’ askin’ for a couple of stones ta fall of the mine cart

And that was a truth, Kreig’s mind flashed back to Tent City against his will…. His eyes no longer staring at the page but at a memory and the lines of his mouth curled down in disgust and spiritual pain.
He wasn’t sure he was enjoying the story as much anymore, in spit of it though he shook his head and soldiered on.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on July 10th, 2018, 11:08 am

At this point Kreig had not much sense for time, his fingers slowly shifting through one page after the other. If magic were involved, he would have said he was in a trance as he went through it, so absorbed was he that the world around seemed to simply fade away. It must have been long however, in that Remmy had lightly tapped him on the shoulder to gather his attention… then jabbed more forcefully when she failed in her initial attempt.

Kreig looked up sharply, almost by reflex he was going to raise a fist only to freeze as he looked up to Remmy, who had a light frown upon her face “Uh….sorry ma’am, I do somethin’ wrong?”

Remmy shook her head in denial of such “no no, I simply need to close up the library, nearing the 17th bell I’m afraid” She said apologetically, perhaps sorry that she had to interrupt someone’s enjoyment of a book, Kreig couldn’t say.

Kreig’s brows shot up at that, a hand running through his hair then pausing at the back of his head to give it a scratch “Ah, alright… guess I sorta lost track o’ time”

This time she nodded in a manner that indicated she was pleased, or that was the norm… he couldn’t really tell “When one enjoys the subject matter its typical for one to be engrosses in it, if you’d like I could set this book aside if you would like to come in tomorrow to read it? We open in the morning”

Kreig blinked at that, lips curling in contemplation. He didn’t really have anything to do in the morning save train, and honestly it’s not like Kreig ever planned out his days… why not come back tomorrow? ‘sides, who knew what else he could find here? There’s some things he could check on now that he thought about it.

More about Yahal if there’s a book on it, definitely more on Yshul, or petch the gods in general. He isn’t even expecting anything detailed, just something that could give him more than the scant dust of information he already had.

“Yeah, I’d like that”

He would also really like to finish that book of course, why leave something good unfinished?

Remmy nodded to himself, then with a hand beckoned for Kreig to get up “Good, now please vacate the Library. I have more reading to do, not to mention eat so if you could kindly…?” She left the sentence unfinished as Kreig handed her the book and unwillingly let out a grumble, like a child being told he couldn’t stay and finish the show.

Getting up from the seat, he nodded to her and made his way for the door and gave a backwards wave of goodbye. Syna’s light shone brightly, yet slowly it began its descent signifying days ends as Kreig made his way to the Pig’s Food, his mind lingering on the book he had yet to finish and asking himself ‘What happens next, damn it!

All in all, a good day.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on July 10th, 2018, 11:26 am

Grade :
Kreig Messer

Experience

Skill XP Earned
Skill
Skill
Skill
Skill
Skill

Lore

The Library: Sunberth actually has one
Remmy: The honest to god librarian of the Library
Books: a font of information and tales
Books: Better to start at the beginning than in the middle.
The Library: Open in the Morning, closes on the Evening.

Notes :
Feel free to PM me with any questions concerning your grade.

Credit goes to Trickster for this lovely Template

e
e
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal