Completed A Hen of Many Facets

A strange chicken follows Tai home. This turns out better than expected.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Hen of Many Facets

Postby Tailyn on July 1st, 2018, 7:09 pm

Summer 2, 518
12th Bell
In Route to the Syka Mercantile

Syna had reached her peak for the day, and the burning sun pounded down on Tailyn’s neck. The woman’s half year in Syka had burned her pale skin a brilliant bronze, accenting her fire red hair. She was almost used to the heat, though she wasn’t quite used to the sweat. She always kept her hair up with the pins that Randal had given her and though she had seriously debated slicing it all off, she had eventually decided against it. If Randal liked her hair long, and she had happily worn it that way her entire life, who was she to argue?

Today’s outing put the young inarta in route to the Syka Mercantile. The woman had finally grown tired of her poor method of carrying the bird’s fruit meals, and had decided she would endeavor to buy some damn baskets. Blue, extraordinarily, hadn’t been interested in coming along and had decided to stay home and hang out with the other parrots. Tai was pretty sure her bird companion was hard at work making friends with the wild birds that hung out around her home. Tai had been watching for another bird that resembled Blue… but said bird hadn’t appeared yet. Tai could still hope though.

Lost deep in thought in her walk, daydreaming of tiny baby Blues, Tai almost missed the methodical cluck cluck cluck coming from behind her. When she noticed it, she halted. The noise stopped. Suspiciously, Tai turned to peer behind her. The flattened dirt road was empty of all traffic. However, there were plenty of bushes here and there of any number of kinds of plant life, and anything could be lurking nearby. Tai narrowed her eyes, then turned back around, heading back down the dirt road. Once again the ‘cluck cluck cluck’ resumed. Still in midstep, Tai spun around, just in time to see a blur of red, orange, and blue rush into the bushes.

“Okay, what the heck?”

Grumbling, Tai moved towards where she had seen the blur disappear to, and parted the cluster of bright green ferns. A moment later, the inarta woman found herself staring into the beady yellow eyes of a brightly colored chicken. The two of them were equally startled by each other. Tai leapt back quickly, and the chicken let out a frightened cluck and fluttered a ways down the road. Heart pounding, Tai grasped her chest and stared at the bird. The bird, in return, stared at her. Tai was immediately struck by how extraordinary beautiful the hen was. Tai was used to chickens being drab and brown and docile. This bird was bright orange in color with a brillant red crest, and blue linings on all of her feathers. As the two of them stared at each other, the hen let out a cautious, but not unfriendly, cluck.

“Why is there a chicken following me? Why are you following me?” Tai turned her accusation towards the brightly colored bird, who simply stared at her. Tai wasn’t quite sure what she expected the bird to do. Tell her what it was doing? Somehow she wouldn’t have been surprised if the chicken decided to talk. As it was though, it simply ruffled its feathers at her and stared. Tai sighed.

“I don’t have time for this. If you want to come, then come.” Tai stepped past the bird and headed back down the path towards the Mercantile. The methodical clucking at each of the bird’s steps resumed behind her.

(Words 582)
Last edited by Tailyn on July 11th, 2018, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tailyn
Crazy Parrot Lady

Words: 87326
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2018, 10:28 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Hen of Many Facets

Postby Tailyn on July 11th, 2018, 8:31 pm

The clucking continued behind Tai all the way down the winding road through the jungle, past the cluster of spaced out buildings along the shoreline, and all the way up the stairs and into the open air shop of the Mercantile.

Juli raised an eyebrow at Tai as she irritably climbed up the steps. Together the pair of the watched the stairs as the chicken hopped up each individual step, one by one, with a flutter of her wings.

“New friend?” Juli asked.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Tai replied. The chicken trotted over to the corner of the room containing a pile of netting, fluffed up her feathers, then settled herself down atop the netting with a sigh.

“If you say so,” Juli replied. “What can I do you for today?”

“I need large baskets,” Tai replied. “Maybe about three of them. Just basic ones, I need something to carry fruit in. Oh I need a shovel too.”

“Done and done,” Juli replied. The woman gathered the three baskets, stacked them together, then placed the shovel within the basket.

“That’ll be 2 gold and 9 silver mizas for the baskets and shovel.”

Tai exchanged the money without complaint. Then she hesitated and looked at the chicken. “Do you recognize the bird? Does she belong to someone? I should return her.”

“Nope,” Juli replied simply. “I’ve never seen a chicken like that. She’s very pretty, you’d think word would get around.” The woman shrugged. “I’m sure you could just keep her if you wanted her. She probably came from the jungle somewhere. Who knows? Maybe they bred chickens in Pavena back in the day and they grew wild in the jungle or something.”

Tai was unsettled by both Juli’s lack of concern, and her unconvincing explanation. “No, no way, I have parrots to raise. I don’t need a chicken too.”

Tai felt a small pang of regret. Granted it had followed her home. If it had been a parrot, then she would have snatched it up without complaint. But she didn’t have the means to care for it.

“It seems to like you,” Juli said reluctantly. “But if you don’t want her, I can take her off your hands. I have some more hens she should get along with.”

Suddenly the bird let out a loud cluck and jumped up off the netting and wandered over to Tai, snuggling against her leg. Tai sighed and scratched the bird’s head, then with a bigger sigh picked up the bird. It snuggled into her chest, clucking softly.

“I can’t keep you!” Tai groaned. “Chickens need coops--- and and food! I don’t know how to take care of you!”
Tailyn
Crazy Parrot Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Hen of Many Facets

Postby Tailyn on July 11th, 2018, 8:33 pm

“It’s not hard,” Juli said conspiratorially. “Or expensive. Not with the money you make Tai. Just get Randal to build a coop, buy some chicken food and a few friends for her, then get fresh eggs daily. Win, win.”

Tai groaned, and waffled. After a moment she set the chicken down on the floor. “No I can't, I’ll just…”

Suddenly a flicker of shine from the netting where the bird had nested caught Tai’s eye. Puzzled, the woman moved her way over to the netting and pulled the object out. It was a blue gem. Tai held it out towards Juli.

“Umm, is this yours?” she asked tentatively.

Juli shook her head wordlessly, and they both glanced at the hen, who was methodically grooming her feathers.

“I’ll be happy to take her,” Juli started saying, but Tai had already snatched the bird into her hands.

“Nonono nope! She’s mine. A chicken that lays gems can pay for her keep!” In truth, Tai was relieved. She liked the bird

Tai handed the gem to Juli, still keeping the hen in one arm. “Do you think I can trade this for everything I need for her?”

Juli examined the gem for a long moment. “Well, I'm no expert, but it looks valuable. A blue emerald maybe? I’d say so, yeah. I can talk to Randal for you and we can throw in three other hens and year’s worth of food for them.”

“A year? For all four?” Tai raised her eyebrow.

“Not all at once, you can come by and pick it up as you need it. I don’t want to rob you Tai, we’ve never had anything like this here before.”

Tai nodded. “Right. Let’s do it then.”

An hour later, Tai was hobbling back home, carrying three baskets, a shovel, chicken food, and three hens clucking within while a happy, brightly colored, gem laying hen clucked merrily after her.

“Blue Emerald huh? Well I can’t call you Blue. Guess that makes you an Emmie. The other three will get names later.”

Tai whistled cheerfully, and despite her aching arms trudged the distance back home with dreams of happy chickens and gems dancing in her head.
Tailyn
Crazy Parrot Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Hen of Many Facets

Postby Tailyn on August 1st, 2018, 8:46 pm

Grades are here!

Tailyn

XP Award: