[Castle Commons] A Message for a Coin Toss

Kreig's sent out to deliver a message, a message who'se results quite literally rests on the flip of a dime

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Kreig Messer on July 11th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Summer 518 AV, 52nd day, 10th Bell 9th Chime.

When Kreig began his day, he expected the usual sort of training, meandering about, and wandering that he usually did. Often times that routine was broken up when he was had a fight lined up as part of his job. He was a prize fighter after all, a damn good one who never lost even if some of his fights had him win only by the skin of his teeth.

This, however, was not what he was expecting as he stood before Tall Johnny who had caught Kreig just before he walked out the front doors. Tall Johnny, true to his name, was taller than Kreig and dressed impeccably as one would expect of a man who ran a gambling establishment. Compared to Kreig who, despite some new attire, still dressed common in spite of his accumulated wealth Johnny looked as wealthy as one would expect by Sunberth standards and perhaps even outside of it.

“Ah, Kreig, I was just about to have someone send for you… but since I have you here” The gentlemen slipped out a coin, with a quick flick of his fingers the small metal disc flipped up in the air “Make a call”

Kreig blinked, confusion striking him before he let out an answer “Tails” just before the coin landed on the back of Johnny’s hand and be covered by the other. Shifting his hand away, Johnny looked up to Kreig with not a smirk but something akin to a shrug that meant ‘tough luck’

“I’ve got a favor of you and considering the little stunt last season when you’ve brought Tent City’s population at my door step…” Kreig winced, good cause or not he did disrupt his place of work’s business, and Tall Johnny was a businessman “…Along with chance failing you, I believe you are in no place to refuse”

Kreig’s brow rose, his foot tapping at the ground, he wasn’t sure he was liking where this was going “Well gee Johnny, I thought I was jus’ supposed to be of on yer fighters, not some errand boy. Ain’t no one else to do it?”

Johnny again shrugged “Normally I would send someone else to do it, especially for these sort of errands. In fact I’ve sent Olav out plenty of times…. And while you would have the choice to refuse, Kreig, the fact of the matter is part of the reason for these favors is essentially making sure the subjects of these favors don’t skimp out on my people’s wages”

That brought Kreig to attention, the direction of this conversation becoming clearer, causing Kreig to run a hand through his hair as his eyes widen “So uh…debt collection is it?”

At that Johnny shook his head “ No, no, not yet at least. But you’re on the right track” The gentleman said, the coin In his hand being rolled on the back of his knuckles before being grabbed between John’s thumb and pointer before being flipped in Kreig’s direction, the item snatched from the air as Kreig’s fist grabbed it.

“I need you to deliver a message, and that coin will be the deciding factor” He said, somewhat cryptically “When you approach them, Kreig, flip that coin. Heads will mean they’ve a little more time before another visit is paid. Tails however…” Johnny leaned closer with a coldness to his gaze “well, see to it that they understand that what happens when debts aren't paid! How it is done matters not, as long as it is understood” He leaned back.

“Ain’t quite sure I’m comfortable with this Johnny..” Kreig let out, looking at the coin in hand, his gloves acting as a barrier between his touch and the metal disc.

“If its moral concerns, if you consider the usual sort of clientele here, I fear whatever quandaries you have are unfounded” Tall Johnny replied, turning his back to Kreig “And besides… no matter the debt, it will be the coin that will decide whether Ovek favors them or not. Now I imagine you will be heading to the Castle Commons? Towards the Pigs foot?” It wasn’t really a question, but merely a confirmation of Kreig’s habits and Kreig winced that he was so predicatable that he would accurately guess where Kreig was heading “Thought so, look for a weasel-looking fellow by the name of Kot, shouldn’t be hard to find”

And with that Johhny wandered off, hardly giving Kreig time to further voice any concens. The brawler looked at the coin again and sighed “On the one hand, likely dealin’ with a thug… on the other, ain’t sure what Yahal will say about this” Yshul, on the otherhand, would have likely been for it.

Again the brawler let out a sigh, wandering out of the building as he made his way to the Castle Commons for a job he’d not expect to do.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on July 12th, 2018, 7:45 am

It wasn’t a very long journey to the Commons, not normally Kreig felt, but Summer weather in the mid-season never felt agreeable to Kreig. It wasn’t really hot, not really… but there was humidity about and that was bad in its own way.

But truth of the matter Kreig’s mind hardly focused on that at all even if he took of his white brimmed hat to wipe his brow. No, his thoughts lingered on the task at hand and how he felt about it. He supposed he shouldn’t feel bad about it, even the Syliran Knights were peculiar about debts, if you can’t pay what you owe then you had to work it off…

For Tall Johhny, who’s business led to gambling and entertainment along with his grounds being a sort of neutral point for the gangs, there was inevitably more than even his establishment could take. A person working off the debt under Johnny’s employ would be good, but only if there was room for such employ in the first place and only if it didn’t harm his own reputation.

Kreig paused a bit as he looked up to the sky, eyes falling upon Syna before moving to a wall and leaning against it as he gathered his thoughts briefly. That was the thing about a city that was free but also lived on a survival of the fittest mentality, especially if you are someone with a certain level of influence.

To be lax on debts meant to be showing mercy, and mercy was often more than not considered not only a weakness but also a currency. It is rare to be able to show mercy without it being weakness.

Kreig pulled out the coin, examining it before he placed it on the back of his knuckles, trying to flip it only for it to slide off and for him to have to catch it before it hit the ground and possibly rolled away. Placing the small thing back in his pocket, he leant his head back and closed his eyes.

He wondered if that was why Johnny did the coin trick? If it the person got heads they had more time, but if tails then Kreig had to dish out punishment, lethal or otherwise so long as the message was given and seen. It was a chance of mercy mixed with a chance of punishment that left the debtor in suspense, even if they were to receive heads consecutively with each visit… there was always that one chance where their luck ran out.

Ovek’s favor indeed.

Kreig let out a snort as he looked down at the ground, regardless there was a debt that needed to be paid. It was akin to a promise, so Kreig hoped or wondered if Yahal would permit what he would have to do even if barely?

Pushing off against the wall of the shabby old building, he moved forward again. Really, there was only one way to find out.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)