Closed Fight or Flight (Nicodemus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Fight or Flight (Nicodemus)

Postby Martini Elwood on June 27th, 2018, 7:04 am

3rd, Summer, 518

Syna's light showered Riverfall with a glorious warmth that was not scorching, but just right when paired with the gusts of wind that would smooth over one's face. The grass - should one chose to go bear foot - was ticklish and light, a cool counterpart to the otherwise warm feet that walked upon it. Yes, the city was beautiful, inside... and out.

Of course, Martini had still been amazed when leaving through the main gate to find her muse. She had come in through the sea gates, and had never ventured back outside of the city. The greenery was magnificent, and the smell of ocean mist and earth mixed to create a charming scent that could relax the most weary soul.

No nightmares, no people... just her and the natural world she loved to see. The flowers were blooming as the weather perked to higher temperatures, but the shade of trees and overhanging plant's made sure they didn't burn either.

Having had her fill of gazing around, the brunette put her shoes back on and readjusted her backpack before moving on. Her goal was simple. Find a scene that was beautiful enough to inspire her, and honestly it couldn't be that hard with the beauty already surrounding her.

She might even doodle a few flowers! Or maybe she'd discover new ones as the possibilities were endless. The Akalak at the gate had looked at her strangely though...

She was a lone woman going out into the wild. She had no equipment other than her dagger and the objects in her backpack, and even then she wasn't assured safety in their eyes. She had tried to scrunch her face into a scowl, and had displayed the dagger attached to her hip in an attempt to assert herself.

They had chuckled and shook their heads before letting her pass them. Her face red with fury and embarrassment she had stomped off, unaware of her surrounding... Needless to say she was lost, but she hadn't wandered to far away from the gates at least as she could very faintly hear the city bustling.

Her haired was wrapped in a loose bun to keep her from smacking her if she needed to run, but mostly because she liked to feel the sun on her back and her thick hair prevented that. She dressed casually, her sandals not the best choice in foot wear if she had to keep taking them off every few chimes. Eventually she settled on just keeping them off, opting to stick them in her bag as not to loose them.

"Now, which way?" She murmured to herself, her gaze traveling to the right as she observed the small river that ran beside her. Instead of accidentally drowning herself, she decided to go left. With nothing for navigation, she quickly lost track of her location, and even the bustle of the city had gone silent.

She looked around jovially as her nerves had yet to catch up with her. It was so pretty around her, and the leaves where finally becoming green, and - where did the river go? She looked around, panic setting in as she realized she was more than lost now, she was stranded.

She had no way to tell if she was close to the city or not, and no landmarks to guide her to a place here she could. She set out to make her way back, but the hairs on her neck had risen and the sound of something cracking accompanied it.

Martini took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves as she slowly, and cautiously put her handover the dagger hilt and turned around. That's when she saw it.

She screamed, loud and hard, hoping that anyone could hear her and provide her, her horror spiking as she watched the large headed deformed creature rise from the dirt. It almost looked human, but the cracks in it's skin and the muddy, rocky texture gave it away if not it's body. A few inches larger than her, but still a frightening site, only one this ran through her paralyzed mind.

This was a Monster. And she needed to run. Now.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Nicodemus Laurent on June 27th, 2018, 9:16 pm

--
The scream was what made the rabbit bolt. He was sure of it. Which is why he was headed in the direction of the screams. Not because it was a sound of distress. But because he was going to give that person a very stern talking too.

Grumbling under his half-mask, with his bow slung across a shoulder, moving towards the sound was actually fairly easy. Not as rough as moving across the Sea of Grass and avoiding Glassbeaks, Grassbears, and the like. Nothing too rough, this near the city. The Kuvay'Nas made sure of that. [color=bf0000] Apparently not sure enough though, if there were screams like that,[/color] he thought to himself as he jumped a fallen tree, slid a good half-step as he landed in a patch of mud, and then kept moving forward.

As he came out behind a rather large bush, he could hear the screams from right on the other side. He pushed past the plant, opened his mouth to tell the screamer to shut up, and then paused, as he saw a creature lurching toward the woman, who was still screaming. With a soft grunt, he unshouldered his bow, gripped it tight, and drew an arrow from the quiver on his back.

Breathe…
Breathe…

Taking a deep breath, he set the arrow to the string, lifted the bow up, drawing back as he did, and sighted along the shaft at the creatures center-mass.
Breathe...
Letting the breath out, he drew back, until his thumb brushed his cheek. At that point, he took in another deep breath, held it for a moment, and let the arrow fly. And then watched in disappointed as the arrow bounced off a rock embedded in the creatures skin. With a grunt, the man pulled a second arrow from his quiver, set it to string, and shot again. The second arrow flew straight and true, though, striking the creature in the chest. The third, following after it, flew past the creature, into the distance.

And then Nico turned his head to stare at the woman, who had drawn him here. “Well, what are you waiting for?” he barked, his voice coming out hoarse. “Run, dammit!”

Last edited by Nicodemus Laurent on July 14th, 2018, 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicodemus Laurent
Player

Words: 5850
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2018, 11:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Martini Elwood on June 27th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Martini couldn't breath, her own fear choking her and leaving her paralyzed. She faintly registered something whizzing past her and bouncing off the creatures body, but her gaze was fixed to the creatures form. Move, move, move, run. The sweat on her brow apparent as she her body quaked in the spot she stood. Why? Why couldn't she move..?

"Run, dammit!" She forced her stiff body to look over at the voice as the creature howled, an arrow striking it's chest. W-was she saved? Tears rode her eyelids as she took a shaky step away from the monster as it faced the direction of whoever was shooting at it. Another step back - slowly, quietly. She begged her body to move faster, but her fear driven state had gone from fight to flight... and then freeze.

Oh gods, she was terrified. Her eyes wide, her mouth closed as she silently backed away from the deformed being. The next thing she knew something snapped under her and she froze again as the creature turned it's attention to her. It opened it's mouth to snarl at her, and the inside was just as bad as the outside with cracks riddling the gums. It was in the moment she saw an arrow sticking from it's chest - stuck into the area of the heart - that she completely collapsed to her knee's.

She was going to die. This thing was going to kill her. Her tears came full force as the creature neared her and she resigned to her fate. A third arrow whizzed past her as her heart speed in her ears.

Move.

Martini's head snapped up at the sound of her dagger clinking against something. She began to throw sticks and rocks, anything to keep the creature away. Why was she trying so hard? It was obvious she was going to die... so why?

Move.

She was outright sobbing now, screaming profanities at the creature as it neared her, her fear tunneling into anxiety spiked rage. The next thing she knew she was on her feet, the creature getting closer as she put a hand on her dagger as she slowly backed away. There was no way she could overpower this thing.

Her Legs shook as she took yet another step backwards. Her nostrils flared as she thought, still screaming obscenities, hoping - praying that somehow the creature would find it distracting. The beast paused, it's vocal cords straining to... imitate her?

Her obscenities were screeched back at her in broken common, and that's when she did as told... She ran.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nicodemus Laurent on June 28th, 2018, 12:15 am

--
Sticks, rocks, curses and tears. Those were the weapons she used to attack this creature? he thought to himself as he watched her back away from it. Frowning under the half-mask, the man darted forward, only to slide to a stop as the creature returned her curses, albeit in broken Common. Grunting softly, he knocked a fourth arrow and shot, if only to distract this monstrosity from its target. Although the arrow missed, it apparently caused the creature to slow, as the girl took the moment to dart to her feet, and run.

Which Nico took as his cue to do the same. Turning, he ran after her, panting softly as he did. “You know, maybe you should have stabbed it in the eye, instead of screaming at it,” he panted as he turned his head to look over his shoulder, his hood falling to lay against his shoulders as he did. Which is when he saw that the creature was following them, stumbling at first, but picking up speed.

With a muttered "Venhrehk," he came to a stop, turned, and lifted his bow once more, to fire a fifth shot at this creature. Which missed, as did the sixth arrow. With a huff, he slung his bow across his shoulder, turned, and broke into a run again. Color=#BF0000]“If you’ve got any ideas, now’s the time,”[/color] he called to the woman. “Or we can just keep running. But town is behind us, along with the Kuvay'Nas, and, really, any semblance of safety.”

Last edited by Nicodemus Laurent on July 14th, 2018, 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nicodemus Laurent
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Martini Elwood on June 28th, 2018, 12:55 am

Martini ran as fast as her legs would carry her, not daring to look back on the creature as she hopped it had lost interest. Her running was jarred, her breathing ragged as she tried not to cry as she escaped. More whizzing sounds she assumed to be arrows, and finally footsteps beside her as a voice startled her.

"Right, be-because my petching dagger would be stronger than a projectile burying itself in that things chest!" She choked out, hysteria settling into her tone rapidly. She didn't even glance at what she assumed to be a male until he stopped running and fired more arrows that did nothing!

His hair was a golden brown as it flowed with his movements and as he turned back to catch up with her she noticed his badly scarred eye and the face mask he was wearing. His skin was a tanned coloration, but Martini was stuck on his last sentence... The city - possibly their only chance at survival - was getting further away as that monster chased them. Worse yet, she was quickly tiring. Her lungs on fire and her breaths short and painful as she began to slow.

"Yes, tell me what I want to hear, that our only chance at living is getting farther away..!" She creamed at the man, frustrated. She was scared and tired, and would most likely die today. And yet... "How are you so petching calm!? We're about to die you stupid man!"

"Stop following us!" She screamed at the monster, her voice loud and hoarse as she cried. The creature let out a 'yhuk', before it stopped and screamed in a broken common. Her tears hot as she tried to force herself to think.

"Those things imitate us, perhaps we could use that... but how?" She began muttering aloud, trying her best to make sense of why her mind stuck to that particular fact... Her mind was riddled with panic in fear - which wouldn't solve anything.
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nicodemus Laurent on June 28th, 2018, 4:20 am

--
“If you stabbed it in the face? Yeah, probably,” he remarked, lifting an eyebrow as he did. “I don’t think my arrow did much more than stun it for a minute,” he continued, as he glanced behind himself again. The creature was still there, still following them. Turning back, he noticed, for the first time, that the girl in front of him was, for lack of a better term, cute. Brown hair, hazel eyes, skin the color of a caramel candy. But, apparently, a bad decision maker.

“Hey, you’re the one who chose which way to go. And besides, with the way you’re screaming, the Kuvay'Nas are bound to hear you and come investigate,” he continued, his single eye sparkling slightly. With a soft huff of his breath, he came to a complete stop, unslung his bow again, and drew an arrow.

Breathe…
Breathe...
Steady breath brings greater accuracy. A panicked man is a hungry man.

Drawing in a deep breath, he sighted along the arrow and let it fly… Only to watch it fly over the creatures shoulder. Turning back, he grunted and started running again.
“Probably because panicking won’t do me any good. And besides, losing an eye was about as painful an experience as any I’ve ever felt. Dying won’t be too much worse, when it happens,” he remarked. He was about to say more when the woman turned and screamed at the creature.
“Yeah. They’ll hear you, at least. And this thing, if it keeps making as much noise as you do. Now, what are you thinking?”

Last edited by Nicodemus Laurent on July 14th, 2018, 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicodemus Laurent
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Martini Elwood on June 28th, 2018, 1:05 pm

"B-Bait, we need bait! I doubt we'll be able to kill it but... what if we incapacitate it long enough for us to get away?" Her legs were becoming weak... She needed to think quickly or they would never get out of this mess. Fumbling with shaking hands, she took her dagger into her gloved hands. She would've dumped the dead weight of her backpack, but... her parents had worked so hard on the toolkit inside, not to mention it supported livelihood. She turned to the man as her tears began to slow and adrenaline took the place of exhaustion.

"Take this and aim to take it's legs..! I-I'll distract it somehow..." She tried to smile, but I was broken and crooked paired with the fear on her face as she held out her dagger. She needed to push through it if she wanted to live. She didn't know if she could fully trust this person, but he had tried to help her and that's what she was depending on now.

"I'm putting my life in a strangers hands," She whimpered lowly, not sure if it was her best idea. For all she knew when the monster was distracted the guy would run away and leave her..! No, she needed to trust him, he was her only way out. If she could just push her fear down she'd be fine! She took a deep breath as her running slowed to a stop. She just prayed to every god she knew that she wasn't making a mistake.
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nicodemus Laurent on July 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm

--
He frowned at the dagger, as she held it out to him. And deeper, when she explained what she wanted him to do. “No. You keep the dagger,” he replied, as he reached up to pull his quiver off his back. “It won’t do me much good.” His eye darted left, then right, and he pitched the quiver aside, tracking where it fell. His bow joined it

“Keep running. I’ll catch up in a minute,” he told her, as he turned aside and hurried off, towards the direction his quiver and bow had gone. He glanced behind him, to make sure she wasn’t following, and shrugged out of his backpack. The leather bag he kept his hunters tools in followed, as did his cloak, hood, and half-mask. And then he began to shed his clothing, as quickly as possible, bundling it together and dropping it on top of his pack, his camouflaged armor with it.

He let out a huffing breath, turned back towards where he had left her, and began to move again, hoping to catch up with her, before the creature did. After all, she seemed like a good sort. With a grim smile, he set his leg on a fallen tree, and used it to push himself off. Mid-air, he changed, his human form disappearing in a swirl of golden light, to be replaced with a cougar. Upon landing, he let out a snarl and shook himself, before breaking into a run. Well, at least now I know I won’t be left behind, he thought to himself.

Last edited by Nicodemus Laurent on July 14th, 2018, 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicodemus Laurent
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Martini Elwood on July 5th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Martini's eyes widened when the male refused to take the dagger. It was impossible to know what he was thinking, but her foggy mind was grateful as she put the dagger back on her side and nodded franticly. She was so very tired. But she kept running, even when the other went in the opposite direction. She prayed, hoped, begged for anyone out there to let her have made the right decision.

As he broke off the monster paused and she yelled more profanities to gain it's attention as it got closer. By now she was jogging, no able to pick her legs up very high or pump much energy into getting away. She was slowly greatly and it was as if the creature knew and speed up.

He was on her ticks after she slowed to a stop, her legs and lungs to pained to keep moving as she slowly turned to face the creature. And she swung the dagger wildly when it was close enough. The beast stood completely still before mimicking her. The beast closed in on her and was fast, the swing that hit her in the side sent her rolling onto the ground, a gasp of pain leaving her lips as she could feel the bruise forming.

Please. Please,

Don't let me die here.
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nicodemus Laurent on July 14th, 2018, 5:53 am

--
It was entirely possible that the cougar waited a moment longer than was reasonable to pounce. In fact, that was exactly what happened, as he waited until the monster had hit the woman. He leapt, claws extended and teeth bared, a snarl building up from his lungs and slipping from his mouth as he did.

He hit with a bone-rattling whump, and rolled across the ground, before coming back to his feet, snarling at the creature. Before it had a chance to regain its feet, he pounced again, snarling, claws first. He landed on the creature, and raked, bringing claws down as much as he could, before he danced back.

Where was the woman, now? Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her laying on the ground, and he turned his head long enough to snarl at her. Run, fool, he thought, as he turned his head back towards the creature.

Only to be met with a fist that rocked him back, sending him to the ground. The impact, either from the fist or the ground, knocked the breath from him, and he spent the next moment trying to get his legs under him, and breathe. Luckily, it appeared his opponent wasn't fairing much better, as the creature was now trying to crawl towards him, and failing to do so.

From what he could see from his one eye, the creatures left leg wasn't working all that well. It appeared to have been twisted at an odd angle when he had landed on it, and was bleeding from where his claws had met flesh. With a satisfied snarl, he regained his feet and backed away slowly, keeping his eye on the creature as he did.

Hopefully, she regains her own feet and takes off while she has the chance, he thought to himself.

Nicodemus Laurent
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next