Closed (Midnight Gem) Unexpected Lesson

Ren is having a very bad day

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

(Midnight Gem) Unexpected Lesson

Postby Rene Rafar on July 12th, 2018, 10:52 am

60th Day of Summer 518 AV

Around the 10th bell

Today was not Ren's day for things to go right in her favor, sure the day started out beautiful; the morning air had a nice calm breeze to it so the temperature wasn't to hot nor was it too cold for a day of running messages and delivery over most of Sunberth. As it so happens running is one of the things she likes to do and to get paid for doing something that one likes is all the better in her eyes.

Thinking back to the events of earlier that morning Ren's mood took a turn for the worst. It all started when she took a job with Tagger a patron from the Drunken Fish to deliver a package to someone in the Baroque Bay's Seaside Market by the name of Button. The Job wouldn't have been bad if Tagger would have just paid her before she had gone on the delivery run but no he insisted that Button was the one that would pay her when she delivered package. Little did I know it was just a scam to try and mug me! These little gang wanna be's think they have what it takes to compete with the Big Three here in Sunberth, Please! She snorted in discuss. Its not as if they don't have what it would take to part of the big three maybe in a few more years. At least they got the package.

As the seen replayed through her mind the teens words came back to her not knowing or caring if she heard them but not before she had gotten out of her hearing range. "By the Gods that runner Tagger found was so easy to take this package from her it was no challenge at all Button will be so happy that he didn't have to pay..." Not long after she made her way back to track down Tagger at the Drunken Fish only to find that he was no where to be found. When she made her way outside again she didn't notice how dark the sky had gotten until a loud crack of thunder deafened the area on the heels of a blinding lighting flash that split the sky open releasing a torrential down pour of cold rain soaking Ren to the bone in just a few ticks.

"Great! Now what else can go wrong! Really what Gods or Goddess did I anger to have this type of day." She growled at the ground as she was trying to keep the water running in her eyes, but it was a losing battle she quickly decided to make haste for the Midnight Gem so she could dry herself even if she had to be in her cat form till her clothes were dry she would. Upon reaching the shop's main door and letting herself in she didn't see anyone; no Ebon, Kelski or Aer'wyn just thinking they where either upstairs or out doing other things she did hope that they would not be caught out in this rain if they were not home. Grabbing a towel from behind the door she kept there to help day herself off after she would come home from running the city as a messenger.

As she was drying her long tawny hair pausing to an odd grunting sound that was coming up from the basement. What? That don't sound like and of the family who would be down there? She thought, Well only one way to find out. So she slowly made her way down the stairs to investigate. The basement was poorly lit down the stairs all that she could really see was a big shadow moving as if he was fighting another person but Ren couldn't see much more than that as she watch the shadow moved just in front of the stairs with his back to her, Ren took this opportunity moving slowly until she was in position to ambush the male by lunching herself off from the middle of the stairs using her weight and momentum to knock the big male over landing flat on his stomach with Ren Trying to hold him down so he couldn't move real easily. "What do you think you are doing in my home." Hissed the young kelvic.
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on July 12th, 2018, 11:40 am

As Kreig’s fists struck air, Kreig had to admit to himself he rather liked training in the basement rather than at Tall Johhny’s. The difference was simple really, while the basement was no fighting pit with an open overhead it had everything he’d need to train himself. A boxing bag and a training dummy to train his fists… targets, well, he couldn’t use those unless he intended to shoot his crossbow inside and honestly it wouldn’t have been much training.

But punching bags and dummies more than made up for it!

Of course for now he wasn’t quite using those training tools as his fists struck empty air, Kreig moving his body to invisible strikes as he envisioned a foe for him to battle and even study. His chosen ‘image’ for such a battle being the swordswoman he’d fought many days earlier in the season as he imagined thrusts, overhead strikes, slashes and the like coming at him.

His body twisted and turned, trying to find the right ways to evoid such blows but truth of the matter was that while he could block, more often then not he could not avoid such blows as cleanly as he would hope. With each quick movement he let out a grunt, so too when he returned a punch for each imaginary strike, exerting effort with every breath.

Perhaps it was because he was so engrossed in his training that Kreig had failed to notice the approach of someone else coming down the steps. Having been here for a couple of bells, Ebon had granted him the use of the Basement while the other went off to do…whatever it is a young kelvic lad does.

Nonetheless, all it amounted to was that he was struck unawares by a sudden figure leaping at him from his blindspot, knocking him over and letting out a sound that was best vocalized as “Grawhaaa?” As he fell onto his back, pinned down by… by…well, by Ren who looked like a cat caught in the rain, and considering the weather outside he thought it wise to NOT remark on that fact just yet. Poorly lit as it may be, it wasn’t hard to figure out who she was with the hue of her hair.

“ ‘Ey, ‘ey, ‘ey there Ren! Calm yer rear ya crazy cat, ‘s me!” Kreig let out as he relaxed under her grip, not bother to struggle as he gave her a flat look even though his heart was beating like ten times a tick “ Yshul an’ Yahal both, I know ain’t the mos’ frequent of visitors but I sure thought as petch I was recognizable!”
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Rene Rafar on July 12th, 2018, 7:04 pm

At hearing the male's voice Ren finally saw who she had pounced on horrified she quickly leaped off him looking ashamed. "I-I-I'm s-s-sorry K-K-Kreig..." Not being able to hold back her tears of shame and frustration any more she started to silently cry with her shoulders shaking her slender body so hard as her only betrayer.

With all has happened from the start of summer had finally caught up with her both the good as well as the bad. When she could once again get her voice under control she tried again, "I'm so sorry Kreig I thought you were someone that had come to rob us and that was hurting Ebon I didn't see anyone else around. Now I fear I have just lost myself a nice safe home by attacking a friend of Kel's can you forgive me?" She looked up at him with tears still shining in her eyes not sure what she would find there. "I feel I owe you and apology for my rude behavior though there is no excuse for bad manners its just I have had a really bad day." Ren started to tell him about her day of being first refused payment to being mugged up to the time of the down pour and finally attacking Kreig.

"I can't help thinking if I really knew how to fight better I could have been able to a hold of simple package." Sighing she gave in an slight half smile as to ask please not let there be any hard feelings between them.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on July 13th, 2018, 10:49 am

Crying wasn’t something Kreig expected, nor was it something he was experienced in handling. He massaged his wrists as he watched her cry briefly, feelings of guilt welling up within him along with the sense of awkwardness that followed because of something one has caused however unintentionally or slight. He couldn’t fault her for what she thought was a stranger, and while he wished she looked more carefully where she lept he couldn’t dare say he wouldn’t have done the same in her shoes.

“Hey uh…there there” He said, raisinig hands in a placating gesture “Um s’alright, jus’ tell me what happened and I’ll be listening” And listened he did as she recounted her experiences this day so far. Kreig mentally groaned while also feeling sympathetic, to get conned, caught in the rain and finally to make such a mistake no doubt fueled by frustration it was no wonder she was feeling such a way.

“Probably” Kreig remarked as he scratched the back of his head, sitting on his rear with his legs crossed, leaning back with one hand on the ground for support “For that their kinda thin’ ya don’t need to know much fightin’, jus’ enough to force ‘em off an’ ta flee” Of course in Sunberth that was easier said than done, and it wasn’t just thieves she needed worry about “ ‘course, it does help ta know how ta be kickin’ arse in general ‘ere in jolly ol’ Sunberth” He amended

He paused a bit, thinking about it, honestly considering what she’d been through Kreig imagined that thing he called a conscience wouldn’t have le things go just at that. Fact of the matter he would have been probably offering anyways without the guilt so he shrugged and pointed at himself “Considerin’ I’ve me an abundancy of time this day an’ I ain’t even gonna walk back to Tall Johnny’s in this downpour no matter how close ‘e is, I reckon I could be givin’ ya some pointers if yer wantin’”

‘Sides, she was a friend of a friend, he was sure Kel would be happy about that.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Rene Rafar on July 13th, 2018, 11:31 am

Ren tried to dry her eyes on her still wet shirt sleeve sniffing a little looking at him "You would teach me? Even after knocking you over?" She couldn't believe what she was hearing not only was he not mad at her he was very willing to help her.

"If that is so do you mind if I could get out of my wet clothes? I'll be back very soon." Smiling for the first time offer being conned that morning she jumped to her feet and quickly ran up the stairs. I hope Kels wont mind if I barrow a set of clothes. Thinking as she grabbed a well worn Tunic top and breeches so she could fight in before racing back down the stairs to start her first lesson by Kreig.

Back downstairs she stopped in the middle of the room slightly winded. "Ready." She panted mostly from excitement then from the run up and down the stairs of the shop.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on July 14th, 2018, 1:36 pm

He didn’t quite meant that immediate but he couldn’t bring himself to discourage her as he watched her run off the stairs to fetch a change of clothes. Once she was out of earshot, he let out low sigh, pushing himself onto his feet and standing straight, stretching his arms and legs slightly. Now that he had a moment to himself he realized this might be an actual boon in more than one sense.

For one thing his adrenaline was running and he was feeling excessively energetic, directing his energy to teaching might help spend it somewhere else at the moment. Besides, teaching can be kind of fun as he learned, so in a way he’d be tossing down multiple stones in the cart so to speak.

As quickly as she was gone, so too had she quickly returned and Kreig blinked at her familiar attire, feeling that had seen them before. Still, he made no mention of it as he nodded to the cat kelvic who was out of breath, noting that bit due to the hasty nature of her departure and arrival, especially going up and down the stairs, which from experience were not an easy task.

“Alright then, well for now I’m reckoin’ its best ye be watchin’ closely” He said as he turned aside so that she would take a side of his form, raising his fists close to his body with his elbows bent, spreading his legs a foot apart with his left leg forward and slightly bent while his right hanged back straight.

“Now this stance here is a typical stance ye’ll be seeing in plenty of bare knuckle fightin’, even if ya find one that does look different odds are the lot of ‘em are similar to this in some regards” Kreig remarked, speaking from his own experience “Now be lookin’ right close at this eh?” He remarked, starting with an all-time favorite and one of the most basic and vital punches in one’s arsenal; the Jab.

His left fist struck forward with little to no warning, the only change of movement in his body was wholly in his arm as his fist snapped forward and back in less than a tick. He repeated the motion a few times, letting Ren try and get a good a look at the fast punch before he would demonstrate more fully.

“That there were jabs” He began, his tone taking in an explanatory role “Ain’t the hardest punch ye’ll ever do see but it’s the fastest” His fist snapped forward again “A good an’ sudden one we’ll get yer opponent off guard, lettin’ ya get a few more in, or…” With a step forward, he brought his right arm closer to his shoulder, bending the elbow while pulling said shoulder back only to launch his fist forward like a ballista.

“Let ya set up a knock-out like this ‘ere straight punch” The right fist retracted as Kreig took up a proper stance, his eyes side glancing towards Ren before throwing another Jab “ ‘Course there’s other ways ta set something like a straight punch like that, but a good jab is good to know” He continued onwards, now movhing his left arm much more slowly as if wanting to show the cat kelvic just the punch should be thrown in the first place “ Jus’ gotta make sure yer fist is relaxed first an’ then when yer right at the point, ya breath out a bit an’… “ He clenched his fist tightly just before it reach the point “ Ya snap it close jus’ before ya bap ‘em on their ugly mugs or wherever yer throwin’ it”

A devilish thought occurred to him then, a smirk on the other side of his face away from her view as he devised his follow up on ‘other ways’ to set up a straight punch “By the way, Ren. What’s that on the wall behind ya? I seen it before but I ain’t sure what it is” He said, attempting to distract her by turning her gaze to something else, she was close enough that he knew he could strike her fast if he so deigned too.

If he she turned, the Brawler would have moved suddenly as if throwing a straight, only to give the back of her a gentle if firm poke with a little mischievous grin still on his face.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Rene Rafar on July 14th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Ren watching Kreig demonstrating how to stand correctly she made to copy him move for move even if it was slower and more clumsy going at first not quite getting it for it felt different from what she knew; although she was trying to see how it worked together. She was more use to bending her fingers like claws then a closed fist in fact she closed her fingers over her thumbs.

Not sure what he meant about something on the wall but wasn't about to really look either for she had had this type of distraction before and it usually wasn't good in her favor. "Nice try. I'll check it out after the lesson." Narrowing her eyes at him in concentration not ready to let her guard
down.
Last edited by Rene Rafar on July 15th, 2018, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on July 15th, 2018, 6:00 am

“Don’t bother” Kreig replied, a tinge of impressed surprise in his voice as his brows raised. Well, he was about to impart the lesson that she should always be aware in a fight but he supposed she already knew that, or at least had such a ploy pulled n her before so he wasn’t sure he would have to try again later or leave it be.

With his plot foiled the Brawler simply continued showing her the slow motion of his jab, how it was supposed to be thrown and what not and letting her copy the movement so that she may gain familiarity. Kreig didn’t know how Rene faught as much as he did Kelski’s, the only thing he knew for certain about the latter that she did had experience in combat but not with her fists.

Once done with demonstrating the Jab, Kreig immediately followed with the demonstration of the straight punch. His right fist pulled to his chin, his shoulder moving back slightlyghly before moving slowly forward as Kreig’s elbow straigtened forward with his hips rotating forward, weight shifting from his rear foot to lead. In comparison to the jab, the punch definitely had more weight and movement to it, enough so that a missed punch would cost more precious moments to return to a proper guard.

“Now this ‘ere straight punch is like thrustin’ a spear, a good hit from that an’ yer foe might be snoozin’ the day away ‘less you got somethin’ more stabby coverin’ your first” Like say, spiked knuckles dusters or a punching dagger.

“ Course you use somethin’ like this ya gotta be sure ya time it right, ya know? Y acould probably recover right fast enough but if someone’s fast enough than I’m reckonin’ there’ll shyke to pay” He warned dutifully.

“Course these are jus’ fightin’ clean” And what a distinction to be had that any combat had something ‘clean’ to it. His left fist launched in a jab again, except this time his fist paused brief seconds before being retracted again, letting her see the two fingers extended “ Get a jab down’ an’ ya can see about pokin’ a feller’s eyes out” Which was something that required precision, but it was unexpected enough that the initial jab might prove enough.

“ An’ pokin’ a fellers eyes is childish, but damn dirty in a fight especially if ya poke ‘em right blind” Kreig grinned a bit more viciously “That poin’ ya could run off or grab yerself a stone or brick an’ knock the daylights out of them an’ crack their heads like eggs”

“Which is beggin’ me ta ask, ya see anythin’ here ya could use to bash someone in?”
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Rene Rafar on July 15th, 2018, 6:44 am

Ren was listening to him explain the different fighting styles until he came to the part about going for the eyes she has a quick smile only vanishing even faster as she remembered what had happened the night she and Kelski where walking to the Gem after leaving the locksmith. Shivering a little as she looked at her hands as if they still had the man's blood on them she started wiping her hands on her breeches as if trying to wipe off the stain... She had killed before but that was when she was in her cat form and was hunting for some food but until that day she had never killed a person before nor did she think she could again the only exception would be if she couldn't get away and having no other choice.

In a small voice she asked Kreig "Have you ever killed anyone when you fight in the pits? If so how do you live with it?" Swallowing the lump in her throat. Not sure what else to say so she lets her voice trail off.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on July 15th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Kreig paused at that, finding himself droppinghis stance as he slowly turned his head to her ‘ well ain’t that there a question filled with a load of trouble’ He thought somberly. When he looked at her he saw a person who felt guilty, as if they’d done something wrong . This was hardly something he’d expected to answer one day.

“No, I ain’t killed in the pit” He began, pushing his hands into his pockets “I do my best ta hit hard, but I ain’t ever aimin’ ta give a killin’ blow in there” And it was true for the most part, whatever blows he gave were intended to stagger, knock out, or cripple his opponents but never really kill unless he’d no choice… and that choice wasn’t taken yet.

“But outside?” He breathed out, hand running through his hair, looking at Ren not with a look of guilt but one of stony somberness “I’ve killed lots, Ren. Folks who tried ta kill, ta kill friends, ta kill people for no reason” He sucked in a breath, closing his eyes as the face of a child popped in his head “Ay, I even killed on accident…. I regret only a few”

“For those lives I didn’t mean ta take? Its hard ta live with that, for me I ain’t living with it” He crouched down, now looking beyond her as he lost himself in memory “They hadn’t deserved death ya know, the only thing I can be doin’ about it is livin’ despite that even if its hard, hold back me strength an’ treat people better”

And he did try to do that, he did.

“For the lives that I ain’t regrettin’? If they agreed upon the fight than that’s their own damn fault, a fight ain’t ever fully safe. They tryin’ to kill me an’ mine? I’d lose nothin’ on ‘em, only regret I’d be having if they’d harmed my family” He bit out as he stood back up again, looking now at Ren.

“Now, back to the lesson eh?” He stepped abck to give some space “I wanna see how ya move, girl, might be givin’ me ideas on what advice ta give ya”

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Next