Flashback Growing Up

Haneht moves in next door to Saiyin.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Growing Up

Postby Saiyin on July 22nd, 2018, 3:23 pm

20th Spring 516 AV
"Speech"

Spring meant a lot of things to the landscape of the mountains. As Winter's snow melted, water was released to the gushing rivulets and streams that existed only as dusty, stony channels for the majority of the year. The earth could breathe again, after the hard frosts and harsher covering of whiteness, and plants could begin to flourish. It was only early Spring, so grey snow still lurked in the shadows of Saiyin's garden, but already the earth was showing signs of new life and that made her glad. Today, being full of Syna's light and almost warm enough to dispense with the cloak, was a perfect day to plant her carrot seeds.

It looked sad, in her eyes, to see a lack of plants. The only thing growing was the weeping willow at the bottom of the garden, but even that was leafless during the colder seasons and it would be a while yet before the delicate green leaves would unfurl. It had never been a pretty garden, although there had once been grass and that at least remained growing throughout the year. Now, it was muddy and tangled with the tiny weeds that had survived the snow. She stood at the base of the abandoned vegetable plot and wondered where to start.

The ancient old hoe that seemed to come with the house was her trusty tool for the job, but Saiyin's parents had not been green-fingered and she had no basis on how to operate the hefty piece of equipment. Nevertheless, the earth needed to be broken up so as to allow the seeds to be planted, so she began to dig the hoe into the ground. It took effort. The ground was compacted and clumped together in huge lumps, and so Saiyin had dispensed of her grey cloak by the time she was finished. She wiped her brow and leant the hoe carefully on the ground. Now it was time to plant.

With care, she knelt on the mud. She would have to wash her trousers later and that was a task she didn't appreciate, but without anything else to lean on the task of planting would be difficult. Instead, she leant over the freshly worked vegetable plot and emptied a few of the carrot seeds onto her palm. She was excited to see them, what she hoped would grow into fine rows of leafy plants, especially as they looked so strange in their current form. It seemed almost impossible that the little lumps of brown plant matter would grow up into something she could eat.

Saiyin picked a seed, and rummaged about in the earth to make a little hole. She carefully popped the seed within and scraped the cold, damp earth over the top with her hands. Already her nails were becoming black with dirt, but she found she didn't mind. She continued for each of the twenty-five seeds, and once she was done she stepped back and wiped her filthy hands on her trousers, aware they were already soaked through with mud so it didn't matter. She was a mess, but a happy mess. With a little sigh of content, she went to walk back into the house and get clean, but as she did so she heard and saw something she wasn't expecting.

The Okomo Estates were sprawling, if one could explain the pretty cottages and gardens as such. The houses were not clumped together but rather were spread out across any available flat space. The mountain slopes were not particularly forgiving, and so there were many paths up and down steep hills to reach the different parts of the Estate, but Saiyin's nearest neighbour was within visibility. It had been empty for a time since the last owner had moved out, but now to her surprise she saw movement. An okomo, carrying belongings, and a guide and... a new owner!

Saiyin rushed indoors and quickly splashed water over her hands and her face to wash herself of any particles of soil. She would have to greet the new owner, of course. It didn't matter if she was covered in the garden, what did it matter? She found herself grinning at the prospect of a new neighbour, and hoped they would be amiable. Hessel was a good friend but she lived further away, and it would be good to have someone to talk to once in a while, especially if she could just pop over. It didn't occur to her that the new resident might not become a friend, but Saiyin's mind didn't think that way.

Instead, she tied her shoelaces and donned her grey cloak once more, and began the walk to the house. She had no gift to give as a welcome, but she hoped the thought of a friendly smile would be enough. As she arrived, she cleared her throat and knocked three times on the front door, then waited patiently for someone to answer, a relaxed and friendly smile on her plain-Jane face and an introduction waiting on her lips.
Saiyin
~☆~

Words: 91451
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2018, 3:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Growing Up

Postby Haneht on July 23rd, 2018, 12:25 pm

H A N E H T

∆ E Y P H A R I A N

∆ W/C: 538

20th, Spring 516AV

Early Spring was a magical time, a hopeful season of rebirth to compensate for the harsh cold and endings Winter brought. The Okomo Estates would be receiving their newest resident today, a foreigner who had travelled all the way across the Eyktol Desert and then some to marvel at the glorious city of stars. Clad in a high-collared blouse with billowing long sleeves and a deep maroon cloak, the young man drew curious stares from the very moment he had set foot past the Amaranthine Gates, gilded skin glistening like gold in the sun and six arms a dead giveaway to his exotic lineage.

Having finally arrived at the shining city of wonder that he had only ever seen in his dreams, Haneht was all too eager to settle down. Hours into his brief time here and he’d wasted no time in procuring himself a lovely cottage in the Okomo Estates, bright-eyed and bouncing on his heels as he treaded on the grounds of his newest abode. Scenic and fresh, the foreign environment was most fascinating, a stark contrast to the golden, barren desert he hailed from. Flora and Fauna in abundance, little hints of lush greens peeking out from their snowy covers and sweet, clean breathing air, a perfect getaway from the buzz of city life. No more accidental inhaling of sand for this Eypharian!

It’s a little quiet, however, but nothing a few wind chimes and Haneht couldn’t fix! He doubted he would linger at home much, regardless, if there was nothing much to pacify his restlessness with. Perhaps he could start a garden? Or rear chickens out back. A goat! An Okomo!

Excitement fueled his steps as stalky legs padded on, dancing circles around the exasperated guide, an old man whose lips quirked into a wry smirk at the curious man-child’s prancing about. What a peculiar boy, the elder would think, endearment flashing in eyes yellowed with age.

Left to settle in by his own means, Haneht sent the elderly Lhavitian and his Okomo companion off with a big smile and warm bear hug (and a nice fat kiss on the Okomo’s head), and made haste to settle in, six arms put to good use. As soon as he had shed his cloak, the youth’s first thought, was to free up as much practice space as one could in the quaint little cottage, bed clumsily heaved and chucked against the wall. Hopefully, he could find some time to rid of the bed frame. Or even replace it with a bedroll, if he was willing to put up with sleeping on the floor.

Five chimes in and a series of knocks on his door drew his attention away from the current rearrangement of his humble abode. Was the old man back, already missing Haneht’s company? Door opened to reveal a woman, dull and common as can be - the only exception being her hazel eyes - with trousers lightly soiled at the knees. Must’ve been gardening, he concluded, lips pulling into a boxy smile to reflect the friendly one of the stranger, whom he easily dwarfed with his towering height and extra arms. “Hello,” he greeted, tone warm and inviting. “What pretty eyes you have, Miss.”
Haneht
All that glitters.

Words: 100302
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Growing Up

Postby Saiyin on July 23rd, 2018, 3:28 pm

"Speech"

Before she could even begin her polite introduction spiel, her eyes lit up with delight as she absorbed the appearance of the youthful man in front of her. An Eypharian! Saiyin could have clapped her hands with glee, but she didn't, voting instead for a small amount of decorum as she offered her hand for him to shake should be be familiar with that method of greeting. She smiled at the compliment too, having not expected such a charming person to be her new neighbour.

"Thank you for your compliment! It's very lovely to meet you. My name's Saiyin Sesr, I live just down that-a-way. You can see my cottage if you look down there." She pointed down the path, and lo and behold, Saiyin's neat but small cottage would be standing just where she'd said. "I came to introduce myself and welcome to you to this part of the Okomo Estates, but..."

"I'm sorry if I'm speaking out of turn, but you're an Eypharian! Oh, it's really such a delight to meet you. I'm very fond of the Eypharian culture, and hearing tales of the desert. My friend Hessel will be delighted to meet you, I'm sure. She lives somewhere hereabouts, and she's an Eypharian too. All that I know about the desert has come from her." She stopped herself from blathering too much, and instead clasped her hands in front of herself and beamed up at the man, studying his face and his hair and his arms.

He was a tall man, that was for sure. He stood taller than her, maybe even by as much as a head, but she wasn't intimidated by his size. She studied his face and his eyes most of all, subconsciously mirroring his compliment about her own eyes as she gazed at their brown, almost amber quality. Suddenly she was aware that she was completely drab as compared to his well put-together look, and she self-consciously brushed down her knees and wiped her hands on the backs of her trousers.

She grinned again as she found it hard to wipe the smile off her face. Realising she was still stood on the doorstop, she raised a hand to her head and tucked her flyaway hair behind her ear. Perhaps she was intruding on getting settled in? Saiyin felt a little sheepish, and the look would show pretty clearly on her face, should one study her expression. "Aah, well, it's very nice to meet you. I should let you get on with settling into your new home. You can come and find me if you ever want anything, or you've got a question." With that, she went to raise her hand to wave and walk away...
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Growing Up

Postby Haneht on July 24th, 2018, 12:52 pm

H A N E H T

∆ E Y P H A R I A N

∆ W/C:

Timestamp

It would never bore Haneht to watch different individuals react to his appearance - mainly because he knew that he was, at the very least, striking to the rest of the world. A very understandable reaction. Eypharians hardly ever left the comforts of their homeland, and from what he’d heard and experienced, were even scarcer in Lhavit. The way the woman’s hazel eyes lit up brought out the smudge of green in her irises, a shade that quite matched the barest hints of life peeking out with the arrival of Spring. Politely, she would offer him her hand, small and a little calloused that Haneht suspected was resultant of whatever hobbies or trade she may have, and it was in turn briefly engulfed with a warm grip of his own.

Saiyin Sesr, he learned, lived just a little ways down from his in a lovely little cottage not quite unlike his. Though not the first of Lhavitians to approach him since his entrance to the city, her friendly gesture was still greatly appreciated. “Haneht,” replied himself, and surprise, surprise, he had found himself a very chatty neighbour! Best of all, they were very enthusiastic about his culture, a sentiment that the traveler could relate to. After all, it had been his desire to see the world and experience the rest of it that had carried him far away from the familiarity of his home and to distant lands.

“Is that so?” A light hum would rumble lowly in his throat, very much pleased to learn of his neighbour’s love for Eyktol and her children. ”I hope to meet her sometime, then. I’m glad you take interest in our culture,” he flashed her another boyishly charming smile. Hessel, his mind repeated, etching the vaguely familiar name into memory. It was a pleasant feeling, to know that there was another of his kind within Lhavit as well. How far they had both travelled, he mused, the beginnings of something bitter and melancholic coiling in the recesses of his stomache.

Was she running from something too?

There was a brief, but not awkward silence, as they both regarded each other, each looking the other over. He did not miss the way she brushed at her trousers and tried to make herself look a little more presentable, likely self-conscious of how she appeared. Frankly, Haneht thought nothing of the slightly disheveled image she had. At the very least, he could tell that she had not come over with the intention to impress him. Besides, she was well-groomed enough that it satisfied his standards, and that was all that mattered.

Alarmed by her prospective departure, a hand shot out to tap on her shoulder gently as she turned away from him. “No, no, stay. I like company, and we can talk as I un-pack. Tell me of Lhavit, please?” Haneht requested, polite and persuasive as he could be with his Common Tongue that was still a little unpolished and strained, doe eyes blinking coyly and peering down at Saiyin like a pleading child.
Haneht
All that glitters.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Growing Up

Postby Saiyin on August 19th, 2018, 6:45 pm

"Speech"

She grinned quietly to herself before turning around at the Eypharian's request and nodding enthusiastically. He really was quite charming, a soft-spoken and nice individual. Saiyin stepped within his home and started to wonder exactly what she could tell of Lhavit, her home since forever.

"Lhavit is a special place, truly. You must have come in through the Amaranthine Gates. Forgive me if I tell you something you already know from the guide, or interrupt me if need be!" She laughed a little. "Lhavit is built across five peaks. The Gates are on Sartu, then there's Tenten, Zintia, Shinyama, and Sharai which is where we are now. Sharai is where the okomo find their home- those are the precious creatures of our slopes. We have a festival for them every summer, in fact. Shinyama Peak is where the Shinya are housed. They're the guardians of the city. Oh! You must've seen the Twuele as you travelled, too. That place is truly majestic. The goddess Zintila resides there."

She broke off, remembering just how magnificent the tower must look through the eyes of a stranger. Who often did she truly appreciate the glittering city she was born in? Perhaps not enough. She vowed to walk through the streets as soon as she was able, and truly gaze at the buildings and the beautiful architecture that ached for the skies. Nevertheless, she was in full tilt, and there was no time to stop and let the poor man have a moment to rest.

"Zintia Peak is the centre of Lhavit, where the majority of the shops and businesses are. Tenten has the Library and the Academy. And Sartu, where you came in, has the start of the Trail of Waterfalls, which I'd highly recommend. It's a lovely walk, if you enjoy such things, and pleasant at this time of year."

Finally she stopped yammering, and took a glance around the house, being fascinated to see the inside of another of the Sharai cottages. In some ways, it was very similar to her own, but there were slight differences that she picked out. Idly, she looked around and studied the Eypharian, trying to see if he had any questions and to simply look at him, for she was pretty astonished to see another Eypharian where she'd convinced herself Hessel was the only one.

She was dying to ask about his own home, but common sense told her he was probably weary from the journey, and he did have his things to unpack. Saiyin perked up, and nodded her head towards his things. "Do you want a hand unpacking? And otherwise, do you have any questions? I won't pretend to be the font of all knowledge..- the Cosmos Centre or the Library would be your best bet there, if reading's your thing, but I grew up here so I should know enough." She laughed again, and ran her hand over the table top.

Saiyin was a little dismayed at the slight layer of dust that lay there. She shuffled down her sleeve and began to wipe away the excess, slightly disappointed that whoever dealt with the housing process for newcomers didn't stretch towards a full clean, although the house didn't look too bad overall. She rubbed her sleeve over the table as she listened to whatever Haneht had to say, delighting in every twist and turn of his exotic accent.

oocOh my gosh, sorry I left this so long! I didn't realise, I'm a doofus.
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Growing Up

Postby Haneht on August 23rd, 2018, 8:26 am

H A N E H T

E Y P H A R I A N

W/C: 632

“Go ahead,” he encouraged. Haneht was fairly certain he had missed a few things here and there in the guide’s customary introduction of Lhavit in his excitement. Hearing about the glistening skyglass utopia from another one of it’s dwellers, such a friendly and lively one even, sounded like a lovely idea. As she spoke, voice very much wondoroua and eyes bright like the city’s stars, Haneht could tell that she deeply loved her city, as he did Ahnatep. He could respect that, understand that pride she felt in her beautiful city and all its hidden, splendorous treasures. The memory of him as a child, exploring Ahnatep, glistening paradise of Eyktol, were still very fresh and vivid in his mind. The pathways behind houses and windings through alleys and streets were ingrained in his mind, in his senses, and despite his lack of ability to keep to an intended path, he could tell anyone that even today he’d be able to navigate the city just as easily. Knew the structures and buildings like the back of his hands, he did.

At the mention of the Olomouc Festival, Haneht beamed. Like many a child, he found himself quite fond of animals, although his range of appreciation was likely a little wider and extreme than most. In his defence, growing up with tigers as domestic house pets and serpentine demihumans had influenced that, not to mention the wild creatures he’d seen or heard roaming in the deserts. Eyktol was a beautiful, golden land, but it was dangerous and lethal as it was stunning.

Fortunately, in Lhavit, there seemed to be a lack of hostile creatures, and the city guards, Shinya, as they called them, were supposedly very good at their jobs. What fascinated him most was the fallen goddess that lived in the Twuele, however, a beautiful structure fit for the fallen divinity. Zintila. “Truly beautiful. I could say the same for the rest of Lhavit. Jewel of Kalea indeed.” He so wished he could flaunt Ahnatep’s splendour to Saiyin as well.

He made notes of reccomended places to visit. The library in Tenten, the Trail of Waterfalls, and many more locations that sounded even remotely interesting to his ears, only to realise that his list consisted of nearly the entirety of the city. He chuckled. He’ll have the coming years and more to explore. No worries!

Saiyin had questions of her own, no doubt, lingering behinds walls of flesh she had for lips and shining through curious haze eyes that purveyed the interior of his house and then finally landed on him. “You’ve shared much, thank you. Is there anything you seek to know?” offered the boy, giving Saiyin a window of opportunity to sayye whatever burning curiosity she had of the majority Eypharian city. Her friend Hessel would’ve most likely told her all she could, but that was all Haneht could offer. That, and the detailing of his journey to Lhavit. He smiled a little, appreciating the simple human’s spontaneous appearance today, and her kindness is helping wipe at his lightly dusted furniture. Haneht did not make for a very good housekeeper, if his travels have shown him anything. “That’s alright, I have very little.” He’s also had enough of being waited on hand and foot for a while. His independence had only gone on for two years, but he’d found that he had been very, very pampered and sheltered all his life a sigh soon as he stepped out. “Talking to me is already help,” the brunet added as an afterthought.

Haneht was a big boy, no, a man! It wouldn’t do to let a nice lady do his chores, slave or freeborne. He would go about with his own business and answer whatever questions Saiyin threw his way whilst he unpacked.
Haneht
All that glitters.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Growing Up

Postby Saiyin on August 23rd, 2018, 10:23 am

Grades Awarded

~

Saiyin

Skills
Gardening: +1
Observation: +3
Socialisation: +2
Teaching: +1
Cleaning: +1

Lores
Gardening: Planting carrots
Haneht: Charming Eypharian neighbour
Teaching: Basic layout of Lhavit
Shinya: Guardians of Lhavit
Lhavit: Location of Haneht’s house

Notes
This was a self-grade, please PM if you think I've done something wrong. :)

Haneht

Skills
Observation: +3
Socialisation: +2
Persuasion: +1

Lores
Lore of Lhavit Layout
Saiyin Sesr: Cheerful neighbour
Hessel: Eypharian who lives at the Okomo Estates
Shinya: Guardians of Lhavit
Lhavit: Okomo Festival every Summer
Lhavit: Trail of Waterfalls; a lovely walk
Lhavit: The Twuele, home of Zintila

Notes
I <3 Haneht, he's such a cutie. :D If you were looking for a specific lore, please let me know and I can review.
Saiyin
~☆~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes