Closed Jumping with Both Feet {Solstice}

Erida arrives in Syka

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Jumping with Both Feet {Solstice}

Postby Erida on July 18th, 2018, 9:48 pm

4th of Summer, 518AV
12 Bells

Slightly squinting up at the midday sky, Erida took a deep breath and stood from the stout barrel on which she was sitting. She had been granted passage on a trade ship which was destined for Lhavit with a stop in Syka, and now that they had docked, she found herself unusually nervous about what the future held. At least from the outside, the small settlement appeared to be flourishing and cheerful, but she knew more than most that what mattered was whatever the outer beauty was hiding within.

One young trader approached her, offering to carry her backpack, which the woman politely declined. The sunlight shimmered off of her forehead, the only place her translucent scales were left exposed. Erida slung the full bag over her left shoulder and wrapped the leash around her wrist once, gripping it gently with her right hand. The white dog stood, tail wagging and ears perked, clearly eager to get off of the ship.

Stepping onto the docks, the uneasiness that was plaguing her settled away. She wasn't sure why - or there even was a logical reason - but it felt right to be there. "Thank you," she said to the first mate, who nodded to her with a kind smile and a tip of his hat.

Giving two firm but gentle yanks on the taut leash to stop the dog from pulling, Erida walked along the docks towards the beaches. Several people had approached the docks looking to trade with the incoming ship, so it was far from difficult for the woman to get an answer for who she was supposed to talk to as a newcomer. She told to find Mathias, Randal, or James, but the most positive reactions came with the name Randal Zor, so she decided that was who she hoped to run into. But not before she emptied her shoes. Apparently, boots and sand did not mix! She slipped her shoes off and shook the sand out of them, deciding to carry them instead of having to empty them after another three steps.

Continuing down a sandy pathway, Erida glanced around, keeping an eye out for anyone or anything that might get Haku tugging on his leash again. She stopped briefly, dropping her shoes and stepping on Haku's leash. With the oppressive heat she cursed herself for not expecting, she had to get her hair off of her neck. Quickly tying her hair in a poorly done braid, the woman took hold of the leash and shoes, then continued on her way.

It was a brief walk until she caught sight of an open building with the enticing smell of cooked meals flowing out of it. Haku started pulling gently on his leash again, and Erida frowned at the dog. "Heel," she said, which the dog ignored. The pulled the leash sharply. "Haku, heel." Begrudgingly, he relaxed and walked next to her, nose lowered for any food that was dropped. The woman stopped next to two people with a small smile. "Could you tell me where I might find Randal Zor?"

Word Count512

~ Open my heart to new beginnings ~
Erida
I don't look at the stars... I'm one of them

Words: 13307
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2018, 5:19 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Solstice on July 19th, 2018, 4:52 pm

The heat of Syka baked, but everyone needs food and the residents of the tropical settlement were no exception. The open air Tidepool Bar sat on the water, open air and welcoming. A number of patrons sat and chattered and ate delicious food as they partook in fine alcoholic drinks at nearly every time of day. It was time for lunch now, and too hot for much activity so lunch was a desirable social activity, perfect for sharing the day’s gossip.

Erida’s approach elicited raised brows and curious but kind stares. Everyone knew everyone in Syka, so the woman was immediately pegged a newcomer. At the woman’s question, one of the patron’s yelled into the bar. “Oy Randal! Someone is looking for you!”

The sunbronzed Randal Zor emerged from one of the seats at the bar, his eyes lighting up as he spotted the Konti lady.

“Hi there,” Randal said, approaching her with a smile and extending a hand to shake. “I’m Randal. Are you a new settler to Syka?”
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Words: 184384
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2018, 3:05 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Erida on July 19th, 2018, 11:56 pm

At the approach of the well-built man, Haku lowered his ears warily. Erida leaned down slightly, petting the dog's neck for reassurance and looking in the direction of the dark-haired man with a friendly smile. "Sorry," she breathed, straightening herself and shaking his hand, locking eyes with him confidently. "Uh, yes, I am. Hopefully, that is. My name is Erida, and this is Haku."

Glancing around the open area, the woman nodded. It wasn't that she felt unwelcome: in fact, she was extremely accustomed to being the new person in town, as she had yet to find somewhere to call home since her fall. Of course that feeling wasn't necessarily something that she wanted to continue.

"I heard about this place nearly a year ago, but I never had the opportunity to actually come here." The woman hiked her bag on her shoulder again to stabilize it, as her oceanic eyes searched the area momentarily. "It's just as beautiful as the rumors tell. Oh, and don't worry about Haku. He can seem intimidating, but I promise he's friendly." As if on cue, the large dog looked up at his master and sat, suddenly acting more relaxed around the new people. "So, not to be too forward or anything, but what now? The only thing I was told about coming here was to talk to a founder."

Erida tacked on a small, light-hearted chuckle for effect. She was soft-spoken and didn't usually feel comfortable approaching someone in charge without instruction. In the past, she simply needed to start her life. Syke was different, but it didn't feel worse. Randal was, by all accounts, a good man, and something about his energy eased any nerves that were lingering.

Word Count286

Erida

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Solstice on July 20th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Randal liked animals, and he smiled at the white furred dog, squatted, and gently held out a hand for the pup to sniff before returning to his feet. “Haku should do fairly well here,” Randal said. “He might be uncomfortable in the heat though. I would see about clipping his fur if I were you.”

At Erida’s question, Randal focused on the woman’s appearance with a thoughtful expression. She was a Konti through and through, a popular race in Syka to be sure. “Are you from Mura?” Randal asked. “We could always use more healers here. Either way, we need to arrange a job for you. Everyone who lives in Syka has to work to contribute to the settlement. We’re simply too small to manage otherwise. Do you have any skills or talents you think will help the settlement?”

The man’s smile was very warm. “Everyone who lives here gets five acres of land. We Founders can also offer loans for people who want to get houses built on their land. I build most everything here. You might have to wait a little while though until I’m able to get to your project. We’ve had lots of new arrivals this season, and my backlog is getting kind of long.”
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Erida on July 20th, 2018, 11:27 pm

Randal's advice about Haku's thick coat was received loudly and clearly. If the woman was already feeling the effects of Syka's heat, she could only imagine how it was affecting her dog.

When the tall man asked about Mura, Erida felt a hesitation come over her for a moment. "I'm afraid I'm no healer," she said quietly, giving him a soft small with a subtle shake of her head. "And yes, I was from Mura, but that was a long time ago. I'm one of Leth's Ethaefalen daughters, I left Denval after the Djed storm."

Erida widened her smile, showing that she was fine with her situation. She felt confident in herself and just was looking for a new place to start. "I don't need a loan or even help building. I've everything I need to set up for myself, thank you. Um, as for skills, I'm good at making candles. I even brought my own supplies with me. I don't suppose you'd have room for a candlemaker here, would you?"

Word Count171

Erida

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Solstice on July 22nd, 2018, 9:09 pm

“Oh, an Ethaefal!” Randal replied. The carpenter was surprised and perhaps a little abashed, but but more from his mistake than for the appearance of an Ethaefal in Syka. “My apologies. We get plenty of Eth here. It’s a good place for starting over too. I came from Denval as well, before meeting Mathias.” Randal wasn't particularly keen on speaking about his past, as old and sad as it was, so he quickly moved the subject along although he at least offered Erida a knowing and sympathetic look.

At the woman’s mention of being a candle maker, Randal’s face split into a broad smile and he clasped his hands together. “Wonderful! Yes, candlemaking is certainly something we can use here. We have to import for a lot of handcrafted items like that, and it's a huge drain on our resources. Being able to have a person making them in the settlement will be a massive help.”

When Erida mentioned having not needing a loan Randal raised an eyebrow. “Are you planning on building a house yourself, Erida?” he asked. “It’s a hard job, and it might be more efficient and safer for you to take the loan and for me to build it for you if you're not sure what you're doing.” He hesitated a moment. “We do have bungalows for rent and simple temporary housing, if that’s what you’d prefer. But if you build you’ll be able to get exactly what you want.”
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Erida on July 22nd, 2018, 11:07 pm

Erida smiled at Randal's reaction to the reality about her. She had gotten similar reactions from many other people, but truth be told, she was pleased that he moved past the subject as quickly as he did. That being said, his comment about several Eths coming to Syka gave her a sudden increase in her heart's rhythm. She hadn't come across another like her, so perhaps she would be able to make a friend.

Hearing that Randal was from Denval was an interesting look into the man, but he obviously wasn't open to exploring his past with another person, something he and Erida had in common. At least he understood where she was coming from.

She smiled again when he accepted her proposal of making candles for the settlement. It was something that easily calmed her nerves and satisfied her artistic side, so being able to provide that service got her more than a little excited. However, his slight doubt at her mentioning she didn't need any help had her stop for a moment.

Looking around, the woman pursed her lips and glanced at her feet with an unsure chuckle. Building a house was one thing. She had initially planned on simply pitching a tent on the beach, but his offer to build a house was more than generous. "Perhaps," she started, "I should take you up on that offer." She grinned at him with a sparkle in her eye. "If you tell me where it would be built, I'm sure Haku and I could stay comfortably in a tent until it's finished. As long as that wouldn't be in your way of course. And I'd be happy to help. I don't have much experience building, but I'm a fast learner."

Word Count291

Erida

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Solstice on July 25th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Randal chuckled at Erida good-naturedly. “You get to pick the place to build, naturally. It’ll be where your chosen five acres are, any place in Syka that hasn’t already been claimed. Beach front is typically pretty popular… you might enjoy the proximity to the water as well since your mortal seeming is a Konti. It’s safer on the beach than it is in the jungle as well,but frankly it's your call.”

Randal combed a hand through his sweat streaked hair, which in the heat of the sun was becoming saturated. “I’d suggest walking around the beach and checking out possible locations. Once you’ve figured out where you want to build, and what you’d like just get back to me and I’ll be able to get started building for you. My schedule is pretty tight though seeing as I do most of the building around here. I think I’d be able to get your work done by Fall 20. How does that sound?”

Once he had his answer, he had one more addition. “It’s also important that you take time to learn how to live here. Knowing how to survive in the jungle is very important here. You should also know how to hunt and gather food to survive off the land. There’s food everywhere, but you need to know how to find it. And you’ll need to learn combat experience too. The rangers do their best to protect us, but it still isn’t exactly safe.”

Randal scratched the back of his neck and chuckled. “Not to deter you! But it's best to be safe. Did you have any other questions Erida?”

Secret :
Assuming Erida doesn't have any major questions, I think we’re good to wrap up with another post or two. :) You’ll need to pm Goss for what you’d like to build, and submit your location for your new home in the Syka submissions location request thread. You can get a general idea of prices for rooms and furniture from the price list.
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Erida on July 28th, 2018, 9:16 pm

The woman nodded appreciatively at Randal, containing her excitement with just glowing eyes to show the enthusiasm she was feeling at that moment. He was right about her preference of beachfront being her preference when it came to choosing land. Not only was her mortal seeming Konti, but as an Eth, she fell to the water when leaving the stars.

"I think looking around will be smart," she said. "It'll give me a chance to familiarize myself a bit more with where everything is."

Flashing him a small grin, Erida nodded kindly. "I appreciate the tips. I'm not exactly wonderful with weapons, but I like to think I can learn to really survive pretty quickly. Everyone I've met so far has been very friendly, but I understand the dangers that the wilderness has. Heard about them before I even came here, so I know I'm planning on learning as quickly as possible." A light chuckle escaped her, and she glanced at the white dog sitting next to her clearly bored. "I don't think I have anything else to ask, but I'll be sure to find you if I do!"

Reaching down to pet Haku, which to the pup was an indicator of leaving, Erida took a short breath. "Thank you, Randal," she said, smiling at him once again genuinely.

Word Count219

Erida

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Solstice on August 1st, 2018, 5:41 pm

Grades are here!

Erida

XP Award:
  • +1 Animal Husbandry
  • +4 Socialization

Lore:
  • Animal Husbandry: Training a Dog to Heel
  • Randal Zor: Personality, Traits
  • Syka: All Settlers Must Contribute
  • Syka: All Settlers Get Five Acres of Land
  • Syka: Offers Loans For Building
  • Syka: Important to Learn How to Survive Here

Rewards and Penalties:
  • None Present

Note: And with that we’re done! Welcome to Syka, Erida!
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Office
Featured Contributor (1)