Closed Peace and Quiet (Myra)

Two strangers stumble across an ethereal nighttime setting

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Peace and Quiet (Myra)

Postby Rigel Nebula on September 10th, 2018, 4:13 am

10th of Fall, 518 AV
20th Bell

It was an overcast night above the Misty Peaks and the Diamond of Kalea shone like a torch in the midst of a dark forest atop the mountains. A light wind drifted through the mountain range, cooling the night air. Despite the cold, the skyglass city was bustling. On account of the disappearance of a fog that has shrouded the city for the past season, many of the denizens could be found merrymaking in the streets and in various taverns.

A lone Ghost Hawk soared over the peaks as Rigel wandered along a weathered trail on Zintia Peak, out of sight of the bright city lights; searching for a new, silent setting to be alone with his thoughts. Rigel was dressed in his full all-black outfit, the only exception being his backpack, which he had left in his room at the Solar Winds.

In the distance, round the side of the mountain, a dim, ghostly blue light began to fade into view as Rigel continued his slow ascent of the mountain trail, accentuated by the cloud cover, which darkened everything else.

Odd, Rigel thought to himself. Are the city lights not a bright yellow or orange? Suddenly struck by a sense of vigilance and intrigue, Rigel carefully continued his trek towards the growing blue light.

As he rounded the side of the mountain peak, Rigel was stunned, frozen to the spot in silent wonderment. The scene before him was like that of another world. To Rigel's amazement, he had found what he considered to be the most awe-inspring sight he had ever encountered. He stood at the edge of a forest that literally glowed with life. From the tiniest blade of grass to the tallest tree; the forest flora was illuminated in a range of blues— from the darkest of midnight blue to fluorescent cyan.

Indiscriminately bestrewn with color, Alheas Park had a rare ethereal beauty; Rigel felt apprehensive about disturbing the natural peace, the delicate beauty of this place lest he cause it to fade from existence. There was a fragile sacredness to this place that he did not fully understand. Any skeptic attitude he had towards the gods faded in that moment. For what mortal could conjure up such delicate beauty, even in his wildest dreams?

Tentatively, Rigel approached a nearby tree and sat below it, allowing himself to savour a moment in this newfound psychedelic setting. Tonight, Rigel had brought his flute with him; it had been too long since he had taken the time to play it and he silently hoped that the residents of this bewitching landscape would allow him the opportunity to grace them with a song.

As if in response to his unspoken request, Rigel heard the solemn hoot of an owl in the distance. It was all the confirmation he needed as he sat his instrument case on the ground before him and opened it in the light provided by the surrounding flora. Rigel picked up his flute and held it close to his lips. Here, amongst the oddly glowing trees and flowers, under the silent night sky, away from the city noise, Rigel felt at peace.

Softly, Rigel began to play a slow, sombre melody, saturated with long, drawn-out minor and flat notes. He was not playing any song in particular, but simply allowed the music to flow freely. As he played, the wind carried his tune out across the peaks for any who would listen.
Rigel Nebula
A Seeker of Knowledge

Words: 17527
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2016, 1:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Peace and Quiet (Myra)

Postby Myra Black on September 11th, 2018, 7:09 am

Myra was out for the first time in the dark, never letting herself wander around so late at night in Lhavit before. From the brief time living here she seen no reason to be weary of crime anymore. She completely was alone. Even her dog was too tired and lazy to follow her this time, instead probably fast asleep by the doorway of her little cottage waiting for her to return.

A faint song came to her ears as she explored and made her way down a dirt path, letting curiosity get the best of her again and started to follow the sound to find it's origin. Music wasn't commonplace in Ravok. Or perhaps it was but she never noticed.

Myra began to smile involuntary as she arrived to a beautiful garden area, taking in the landscape painted with different shades of blue, lit up like nothing she had ever seen before. She almost forgot about the song but after another moment of searching she found it. The source was wearing black head to toe, if it hadn't been for the illuminating blue all around she might have missed him this time of night. Myra was also donned in black, all except for her top that was a deep green but it was covered by her cloak.

It would have been a sin to to interrupt the strangers song so she waited.. trying not to stare at the man playing the instrument, instead moving her eyes around to take in the sights. This place was like a fairytale. Romantic. The perfect place to take someone you love, or someone you hope will fall in love with you.

The young woman brought her attention back to the man in black once she thought he was done playing his song. "Good evening." She started, giving a small bow. She wasn't one for being shy. "I just had to see who was playing such a lovely song. Did it take you long to learn?"
Myra Black
Player

Words: 11067
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2018, 5:54 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Peace and Quiet (Myra)

Postby Rigel Nebula on September 12th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Playing his flute, Rigel experimented with a range of minor ad flat notes, mindful to stay in the key of A-minor. Slowly, he found a satisfying sequence of notes that fully expressed his latent feelings. Quickly, the tone of the song took a sorrowful turn as dormant feelings were steadily coming to the surface, bringing with them memories of a once-happy family now destroyed by the past death of a beloved patriarch. Rigel blinked back tears as a painful lump formed in his throat. He ended his song with one last drawn-out note that echoed across the peaks, filling the night air with a deep sense of melancholy.

A sudden utterance of "Good evening" startled Rigel. Instinctively, he jerked back, accidentally hitting the back of his head against the tree behind him. He swore out loud, clutching his head where it hurt. Focused only on his music and his thoughts, Rigel had not noticed anyone approaching. His eyes watery as a result of pain, Rigel had to blink several times to clear his vision. When his eyesight cleared, Rigel found himself gazing upon the face of a beautiful young woman; her fair skin tinted blue by the light of the surrounding forest.

"Good evening," Rigel finally said, grinning sheepishly. He was still clutching the back of his head. "Please ignore the profanity you just heard. You scared me a bit."

Rigel's eyes lit up as a smile found its way across his features. He was pleased to meet someone with a appreciation for music. Answering the fair stranger's question, Rigel grinned and asked, "The song or the flute? If you meant the song, I would say that I learnt it in the moment; it was all improvised."

Quickly scanning the woman in front of him, Rigel noticed that she, too, was dressed in black, reminiscent of the dark, yet beautiful silhouette of a bird against the backdrop of a starry sky. He wondered if that's what he looked like, sitting in the midst of this psychedelic environment.

"I should introduce myself," Rigel said, standing up; happy to meet someone new. "The name is Rigel Nebula. You may call me Rigel."

Rigel bowed respectfully.
Rigel Nebula
A Seeker of Knowledge

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Peace and Quiet (Myra)

Postby Myra Black on September 15th, 2018, 7:06 am

His reaction wasn't at all what she was expecting, and she did her best not to laugh at the startled stranger. She began to grin and covered her mouth with the back of her hand to stop herself. It sounded like a pretty big bump, and along with the foul language perhaps she should have been a bit more serious. She wasn't going to be of course. "Are you ok? Sorry! Sometimes I forget how scary I look." She teased, as if startling him wasn't enough. The young woman really needed to stop sneaking up on people though.

Myra stepped closer as he spoke about the song. "Really? That is wonderful. I'm afraid I don't have such talent." Truthfully she had never considered learning to play an instrument before, but doubted she could even if she tried. Myra was curious if someone had taught him to play or if he picked up the skill naturally. "Pleased to meet you, Rigel." She smiled before saying her own name. "Myra Black." Which probably stood for Blacksmith, Blackwell, or something else down her family line before they simplified it. She bowed again. "And what of the instrument then? Have you been playing long?"

"Are you from Lhavit originally?" She asked, partly out of curiosity and partly to be sure he hadn't hit his head too hard on that tree. "I'm from Ravok myself." She added. "I haven't been here long but I love it so much already, especially after discovering this enchanting place." She waved her hand at their surroundings. Even the fireflies looked magical! How something so small could shine so many colors at once amazed her.
Myra Black
Player

Words: 11067
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2018, 5:54 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Peace and Quiet (Myra)

Postby Rigel Nebula on October 3rd, 2018, 2:36 am

"You, scary?" Rigel replied, smirking in spite of the pain. "Only in your dizziest daydreams, princess!"

The musician was surprised that his newfound acquaintance has already begun to tease him, despite having barely met him— And causing him to injure himself on a tree, much to his own embarrassment. Rigel's face lit up with a smile. He found that he actually admired her boldness.

"Pleased to meet you, too, Myra" Rigel said, bowing as well.

"The flute is the first thing that I was formally taught," The musician stated, responding to Myra's question. He fondly remembered his time spent under the tutelage of Lalila, the most talented musician he knew. "I had an excellent mentor. She taught me to play when I was around the age of eighteen. I've lived life as a musician ever since. So, five years as yet."

Rigel found it difficult to believe that Myra had no musical talent at all. Surely everyone had latent latents. Perhaps he could prove that to her.

"Mayhap I could teach you," Rigel said thoughtfully, unsure if she would agree to the idea."If you'd like..."

He had never taught anyone before. Having only ever learnt things from books and other people, the task of having to teach someone else was almost daunting. Rigel suddenly considered taking the offer back, but realised that it would be a terrible thing to do. What if Myra had been yearning for such an opportunity and he simply denied her the chance of learning? He would just have to teach her if she agreed to the offer.

"Ravok?" Rigel must have heard the name of the city somewhere, but it was not entirely familiar to him. "Never been there before. Nay, I hail from Zeltiva. But I prefer not to linger on the memory of the place."

Rigel's gaze followed Myra's hand as she gestured to their surroundings. Enchanting, indeed. Above them, the cloud cover parted slightly, allowing a sliver of moonlight to seep through. Let's solitary ray passed over a distance peak. The silver beam beautifully contrasted it s dark, cloudy surroundings. Rigel wished that he could capture this beautiful moment, in this picturesque setting; to preserve it somehow. Perhaps he might do just that and learn to paint. Rigel made a mental note of the idea.

"Lhavit surely has a bewitching beauty to it," Rigel said. A sense of calm descended upon him as he took the moment to fully appreciate the scenery before him. "This is my first time in this part of the city and I guess it goes without saying that this otherworldly landscape is the most beautiful part of the city, if not all of Kalea."
Rigel Nebula
A Seeker of Knowledge

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets