[The Midnight Gem] A Glimpse into the Past

Duncan recalls the first time he traveled to the Tomb of the King and the experience he had and how it changed him.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Duncan Rightstone on October 1st, 2018, 2:50 am

10 Day of Fall in the Year 518 AV

Another day had passed with Duncan performing his normal duties at The Gem. There were a couple of deliveries to individuals whom Duncan didn't exactly care for. Despite his reservations toward those people, his performed his duty as required. When he returned to The Gem, there was but a bell left until his duties were no longer actively required. This was the time when he could engage in his own interests. Such interests primarily involved training. Building one's body and skills was paramount to being an effective Hammer.

Thus it was that Duncan's daily routine involved performing his duties to The Gem followed by a training session where he worked to maintain his strength and endurance. This ususally lasted a bell, maybe two, before he took time to enjoy a bath. After his bath, it was dinner. Sometimes he engaged in group dinners with the other inhabitants of The Gem but other times he simple partook in a few bits of bread, cheese and a bit of fish. The fish, it was different than what he was used to in Sultros yet it was far from unpleasant. While not being much of a cook, he did dabble a bit in roasting a bit of fish over a fire while mixing in a bit of bread and jam made from local berries.

This particular night, he finished his formal duties at The Gem and retired to the basement to performed his routine workout and stretching exercises. Once he had completed the normal stretches of his arms, legs, abdomen and back, Duncan proceeded to set up the weights.

He was thankful that Kelski had the foresight to purchase a rather well stocked set of weights. While it paled in comparison to the setups the isur had, it was still quite adequate for what Duncan was looking for. There was a simple cushioned bench with a few different length bars and a collection of round metal weights totaling around 200 lbs. After his bath, one that lasted a bit longer than usual, Duncan took his place on the bench. As he spun around and laid fully on the bench, he reached up and gripped the bar. Having already placed the full amount of weight available, he took a deep breath and lifted.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Words: 115439
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on October 1st, 2018, 3:11 am

Keeping attention to his breathing, Duncan lifted the bar off of its post. 200 lbs was heavy yet no overly so for him. He lowered the bar to the point where it touched his chest before lifting it back into the air to the extent that his arms could reach. He then lowered the bar once more only to raise it again. Over and over again he did this, one, two, three, four and more times. As he did, Duncan felt the burn slowly growing in his arms. With each lifting of the bar, Duncan was fully in tune with his muscles expanding and contracting. Eventually though, the repetition of lifting such weight began to take its toll. His movements grew slower and required more effort, both physically and mentally. When he had lifted the bar to the point that he felt unsafe in lifting it again, he returned it to rest upon the posts.

Taking a few moments to revel in the feeling of exertion, Duncan sat up from the bench. He stood and retrieved a nearby towel to wipe away some of the sweat he'd built up from the workout. As he sat on the bench, he began to think about the next day. He didn't know what Kelski had planned but he was sure that at some point, it would test his patience. The people he had to deal with were not always the most likeable. Coin was coin however and business was business.

Standing from the bench, Duncan considered the next part of his training. Reaching for the bar with the weights, he lifted it and carried it to the side. He positioned himself then to lift the bar up to rest on his shoulders. He proceeded to lower himself from a standing to squatting position. The intent was to work the muscles in his legs in an effort to build and strength them.

As he lifted the weight, Duncan allowed his thoughts to wonder. He often did this as he initiated communion with Izurdin. This time however, if felt a bit different. He wasn't specifically calling out to the God for discussion, one-sided it usually was, but more pondering things that had happened long ago.

Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on October 1st, 2018, 3:22 am

As Duncan lifted the weight, he found himself remembering things. This wasn't all that uncommon though as a good workout usually brought with it a lot of thought. This time, he found himself remembering back to when he was first attempting to become an Anvil of Izurdin. As a would-be Disciple, one of the requirements was that he travel to the Tomb of the King, a floating island of stone hovering high above the cavern housing Sultros City. The tomb was where lie King Sultros, the savior of the Isurian race.

The pilgrimage was designed so that future Anvils would spend time in communion with the soul of The King. Buried with the king was his hammer, Nauglamir, the most holy of artifacts among the isur. It bore an echo of the King's soul and, while it lay dormant, was said to give inspiration to the those who chose to serve Izurdin with all that they were.

Duncan remembered ascending the numerous stairways, crossing several bridges and eventually coming to the precipice of the path that stood before the tomb. There was no path directly to the tomb. One simple came to the end of a walkway where the cavern below threatened certain doom if one were to take another step.

While most isur knew that, with faith, they could take a step and not fall, it was still no less unnerving to experience it. As Duncan stood at the edge of the path, he briefly considered what it would be like to fall hundreds of feet down to the Plaza of the Crimson Arm below. Closing his eyes and with a deep breath, he took a step only to find his footing. Another step followed by another led him closer to the floating island. After several steps, he arrived on the stone surface of the island before the elaborately carved tomb.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on October 1st, 2018, 3:36 am

A few more steps brought Duncan to the stone footing of the floating island. Surrounded by statues, guardians with one more prominent than the others, lay Sultros' tomb. It was said that King Sultros' best friend, Lord of the Coglias Clan during the King's time, still protected his friend even in death.

Duncan paid respect to the status that looked over the king before coming to kneel before the ruby sarcophagus. Through the crimson facets, Duncan could see the vague form of Isengir. In the king's arms lay his hammer, Nauglamir; said to be imparted upon with the fourth and most powerful mark of Izuridn.

Duncan couldn't help but lower his head with the feeling of profound respect. This was the man who brought the entire isurian race from the brink of extinction. King Sultros had led the isur from the destruction of the Old Kingdom, across the frigid lands of The Unforgiving and established the current Kingdom of Sultros. Without him, there would be no isur.

Duncan was left unsure of what to do or say. He simple sat there, on his knees, pondering what it must have been like to be the one chosen to save an entire race. The burden seemed unfathomable. How could one man inspire so many people to rise above their own loss, their own despair and work together to forge a new future?

Duncan, his head still lowered, forced words to exit his lips. "My King. I am Duncan Rightstone Vizerian, a simple man hoping to be more like my father, Emaneus. I hope to live up to the standard set by him and my mother. I have lived my short life with strength and patience. Yet, as I am here now, before you, I am humbled. Not just that but...I am not sure I have it within me to be an Anvil. I am flawed, not in any way as great as you or as great as my father. It is said that to be more like the King is to be closer to Izurdin and to be more of an isur. If that is correct, I'm not sure where that leaves me."

Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on October 1st, 2018, 3:53 am

Duncan raised his gaze a bit and looked at the sarcophagus. It was the epitome of perfect craftsmanship. It was a faceted construct formed of ruby. Likely a product of magecraft, jewelcrafting and divine intervention of extreme precision, the sarcophagus was perfect for housing one as great as King Isengir Sultros. Duncan marveled at the craftsmanship that went into its creation. Through the gemstone encasing, he could make out the remarkably preserve form of the king, himself. Clasped in his hands was Nauglamir. It's striking faces, even through the crimson lense of the sarcophagus, could be seen for what they were, divinely contained lava from a great volcano. The trails of molten rock and searing heat were still visible.

"My King, I am but a simple man. Yet, I hope to one day live up to the standards you set by simply doing what you thought was right. You defied all challenges. You pushed on, displayed strength and patience where none should have existed. Yet, I can only imagine what you must have felt. The world was shattered. So many of our people had died and were dying. Yet, despite all of that, despite being faced with the possibility of complete annihilation, you stood up against it all and save everyone one of us. You save all who were there at the time and all who would come after. I hope that one day I can be as strong as you."

As Duncan gazed into the sarcophagus, he felt something a bit odd. It was as if someone were standing behind him. Slowly, he turned his head away from the tomb and looked over his shoulder. What he defied description from that point forward. Standing behind him was a man dressed in a crimson and black war skirt. His crimson arm seemed to have an inner glow to it that illuminated the surrounded area in red. His face, the perfect example of isurian beauty while his eyes bore a weight that was beyond comprehension.

Echoing in Duncan's ears was a voice filled with strength as well as compassion and a bit of sadness. "Brother, what you seek is already within you. You need not look to me as a beacon of what you wish to be for you already possess it. You are isur as was I. In our people's time of need, I only did what any other would have done. I don't know what being great is. I never saw myself as being that. I only did what I felt was right in the eyes of Izurdin. I am not as special as so many want to believe. I felt lost and alone as everyone else. However, I took but one moment to look within myself for the strength to go on. When I did, I found that all of the answers I would ever want were already there, I had but to open my eyes to them."

Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on October 1st, 2018, 4:00 am

Duncan watched and listened as the figure of King Sultros spoke to him. He had no reply, no ability to comment. It was as if any words that came to his lips faded just before he could release them.

The form of King Sultros took a few steps toward Duncan and placed his crimson hand upon his shoulder. "Brother, you can be anything you want to be. You can do anything you want to do. I hear your words and sense within you the desire to do great things. You don't need me, you don't need your father or even your mother to set the standards for what you live your life to be. Do what you feel is right in the eyes of Izurdin and you will do well."

The image of King Sultros slowly began to fade although the touch of his hand upon Duncan's shoulder remained. When the image of the king had gone, the memory of the event also began to fade. Duncan was left once more in the basement of The Gem, standing with the weight on his shoulders.

He again wondered if the words he had heard that day at the Tomb of the King were ones meant more for his present situation than anytime before or after. Only time would tell as he replaced the weight on the bench, cleaned up and made his way back upstairs.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on October 28th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Completed Thread Grade