Kynier's Journal

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to start IC Journaling in this forum. Each character is allowed threads here where they can store notes they learn IC, facts, or even talk about their feelings and inner thoughts. Journals don't need to be in written form, they be anything you as a player thinks suits the personality of the Characte.r

Kynier's Journal

Postby Kynier on October 13th, 2018, 3:13 pm

The notes and scribbling of a mage pursuing an idealistic goal.

Boxcode credit goes to Nellie!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Observations of the Elements

Postby Kynier on October 23rd, 2018, 7:27 pm

Observations of the Elements

Eighty-Third of Summer, in the year of 518 A.V. :
Today I’ve started researching the next element of Reimancy. I have chosen Air and have failed my first attempt of creating it. Unlike Fire, Air is proving to be a greater challenge. There is no singular word to associate with the concept of air, which is what I had done with the previous element and will do with the next two. Perhaps more imagery is necessary than what Nurxan would have suggested.

Only two attempts have been made, but both have been successful. Corelating the concept of breathing with the production of Air. During the second test I indulged in a curiosity and took a breath of the product of my Reimancy. It is something I would not recommend doing again unless under dire circumstances.

Air is not as easy to control and manipulate as one would expect. While it is more easily manipulated than Fire, it took several chimes to generate a wind that could, at the very least, disturb someone’s balance. For now, it is an impractical method for offensive purposes. The next step is to explore a subtler use of it.

The attempt at a subtler use of Air was not as successful as I had hoped. This was due to a different discovery that had been made. Smaller quantities of Air formed with Reimancy are capable of being propelled faster with less effort. This is very interesting because it reminds me of something that Bourin would repeat a few times to me during my youth. “Less is more.” At the time I did not really understand how that could be. Now I can understand.

Eighty-Fourth of Summer, in the year 518 A.V. :
In continuing with my research in the discipline, I have begun to expand on the next basic concept of elemental control for Air. Collection of a preexisting resource. With Air, it is in profound abundance unlike Fire. Several burning candles had been set when making the effort to determine how wide of an area the Air is collected from. From the first effort the result was that only the Air within a single foot of the Res collection was affected. Perhaps in time, a much more impressive range can be accomplished.

I had shifted my focus for a moment to reattempt a subtle use of aeromancy. In an effort to blow out a single candle from multiple that had been closely set together, I had in fact blown out most of them. The issue most likely is not in the concept but in how I had approached the challenge. Instead of forming the res outside my body I had gathered inside my mouth and literally blew it. The aeromancy was not as finely focused as I would prefer. Having the ultimate goal being able to extinguish a single candle without so much as disturbing the others.

Another attempt to extinguish a single candle has ended. While by technical definition it was not a failure, the result was not what had been desired. I had formed a sphere of condensed aeromancy and propelled it at the center candle. What occurred was much more violent than I had intended. One of the Makath speakers has found my attempt amusing enough to laugh. I will inquire to what it was that it found so entertaining.

With the advice of the Makath speaker, I was reminded that air flows. Wind could be seen as a current like a river, one that can "wash away" the things caught in its way. With this I was able to perform a more encouraging result when repeating the last test. There is still room for emprovement, just less of it now.

Eighty-Sixth of Summer, in the year 518 A.V. :
Another mage had told me the secret to creating Lightning with Reimancy. That it is a para-element between Fire and Air. Unfortunately, he did not provide any more insights to how to make it function. Thus, I am endeavoring to discover the secret on my own. Using a Liquid State I first created Air then attempted to form Fire within it. There was a reaction that was not Fire, but no lightning had been produced. It is possible that there is a timing that is involved with succeeding at its creation. For I do not believe that creating Fire then Air is what would generate the desired result.

The second attempt has proven successful! However, there were a few things that had been done that could have been the source of the success. The first, significantly more Djed had been conjured to power the spell than what all my other uses in all other disciplines have required thus far. Second, the intention to create Air and Fire was nearly simultaneous. What I had not anticipated was the delay. Once the lightning was formed it appeared to be suspended until I gave it direction. Once I had, it struck my target and surely would have destroyed it if there had not been a shield placed on it to ensure its durability. After I apply another shield I will alter one of the variables but not the other. See was sort of impact that has.

The change made for the next attempt was a simple reduction of Djed. The near instantaneous transmutation of the two elements appears to be the key factor in generating a para-element. While there was a reduction in personal Djed utilized for Lightning, it was still more than what my other disciplines have ever needed to call upon. The Lightning is able to strike with tremendous power and has been able to physically push my target with relative ease in both instances. Though I don’t intend on encountering any large, dangerous creatures it is safe to say that Lightning will be the first element of choice.

Lightning should be used sparingly. The last experiment was to determine if it was possible to generate a steady flow of arching lightning rather than an instantaneous bolt. The answer is yes, it is possible. It is not recommended thought. In a short matter of time I began to experience euphoria, an early sign of Overgiving. I am tempted to try one more experiment. This one will be to see how little Djed is needed to produce a bolt of the para-element. The results are expected to be lack-luster.

Less than expected is what is needed

Twenty-Sixth of Fall, in the year 518 A.V. :
Converting one element into another requires a significant portion of res to be consumed. Having employed this method as the primary way of my expansion project explains why it is slow coming. Today, I tested to see how much more could be accomplished with a more basic application of Geomancy. By simply breaking down stone into particles of sand, as opposed to converting it into Air, was able to yield a little more than three times the amount of stone being removed. However, it left sand behind which then had to be removed. While manual strategies could have been employed for its removal, I used Voiding which is less time consuming and more efficient. But the combination of disciplines more than likely consumes more Djed than an element to element conversion. Will attempt other ways of accomplishing this conversion to see if there’s a more efficient way that what I have been doing.

For my experiments with Geomancy, I performed four tasks in total. The first was the elemental conversion of Earth to Air which is the most advanced technique of the four I performed. For the second, I created res in a gaseous state and had it soak through the surface of the stone and break it down from the inside. Thirdly, I coated the stone with liquid res which broke it down like an acid. And lastly, I formed a solid wall of solid res which pulverized the stone. The solid res method is definitely the most demanding method of the non-conversion techniques. While it does yield more, it does not feel the most efficient.

At this time, it is difficult to determine if Gas or Liquid is more efficient. However, using Voiding or manual efforts to clean up afterwards does counteract the benefit of non-conversion. Making Earth to Air conversion the most efficient use of Djed when tunneling out passages from stone.
Last edited by Kynier on November 22nd, 2018, 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Formations and Weaves

Postby Kynier on October 24th, 2018, 2:07 am

Formations and Weaves

Eighty-Sixth of Summer, in the year 518 A.V. :
Utilizing Auristics while constructing a Shield is very helpful. Using more than just my mage senses for magic to generate a weave. The ability to see its construction definitely made the effort to increase the shield’s density a success. While the compromise is a diminished return on the amount of space the shield can cover, some applications are not negatively impacted by such a compromise. The shield itself is still very basic but is significantly better than those I have made in the past.

A shield that is generated at three times the thickness of my standard weave had managed to endure a blast of reasonably powerful reimancy. Though it was clear that a second application would have torn the shield asunder and cause severe harm to what the Shield had been protecting. I made my first attempt at repairing the Shield rather than generating a new one. In regards to time, it was far less efficient. Having to refill, remove, and replace many strands of a Shield was a slow process. Yet, as my other disciplines increase, so too shall my Shields. In time, they could be able to endure any Reimancy usage and require less time to repair.
Last edited by Kynier on October 28th, 2018, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

From the Other Side

Postby Kynier on October 27th, 2018, 10:46 pm

From the Other Side

Twenty-Sixth of Fall, in the year 518 A.V. :
Today, I had conjured a gateway in order to remove a large collection of sand that had been formed from a project that I have been working on for some time. While attempting widen the passage in order to accelerate the process, I noticed that the gateway does not keep to a, for lack of a better term, appealing geometric shape. It was warped and misshapen. While I was eventually able to stretch it into an oval form, it was not without some effort. Perhaps with continued practice, the control over the gateway’s form will become easier. For now, more focus will be emphasized on increasing the size of the gateway rather than they aesthetics of its shape.

I do not know if it is simply a natural affinity, or something that all Voiders share in their experience. Increasing the Pull of the discipline did not require much more use of Djed. This allowed for what I wished to be sent to The Other Side to be taken there more quickly and with less effort. Although, I did not apply a very strong Pull, simply a stronger one than I had done previously. It is not my intention to be self-Voided like many foolish people have done before. Perhaps a Pull that is strong enough to take a person requires a notable amount of Djed to be applied. Time and practice will tell.

An unintended discovery has been made. Having utilized a lot of Djed, I was beginning to tire and rapidly while a passage was open. To avoid undesirable consequences, I ceased the Djed input before the task was completely finished. However, the Pull remained in effect long enough to send the last of the waste through before the collapse. This is something that is worth knowing as it can assist in reducing the consumption of Djed. It will take lots of practice to understand the timing and will likely not always be successful in its practical applications. Yet, for situations that lack the sense of dire peril, it will be a most helpful trick to employ.
Last edited by Kynier on November 22nd, 2018, 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Fundamentals

Postby Kynier on October 28th, 2018, 12:00 am

Fundamentals

Table of Contents

Terminology
Djed :
Meaning “Spine” in the ancient tongue, Nader-canoch, for Djed is a foundation of life. It is found in everything and is the source of powering a mage’s abilities. There are three laws of Djed. The First, Djed can neither be created or destroyed, only transformed. The Second, some forms of Djed are purer than others. The Third, some Djed transformations are irreversible.

Discipline :
Mages have learned multiple different uses of Djed. Each of these specializations are referred to as disciplines.

Initiation :
Some disciplines can be self-discovered and do not require an instructor. Others are not as intuitive. Certain disciplines require a type of ritual to be performed by an instructor before the student is capable of even experimenting with the discipline. The process of performing these rituals is referred to as Initiation.

Personal Magic :
Disciplines fall under one of two categories depending on where a mage channels Djed from to fuel their magic. If the Djed comes from the mage themselves, it is being fueled by their own personal source of Djed. Thusly, the discipline is a Personal Magic. Personal Magics always run a higher risk of overgiving in comparison to World Magics.

World Magic :
The other category of disciplines. A mage can harness Djed from other sources through specific techniques to power their magic. The disciplines that function this way are known as World Magic.

Res :
Res is a material that is specifically used for Reimancy. It is translucent and can be made in either a solid, liquid, or gaseous form. The body transforms Djed into Res. This is an irreversible transformation. The process for transforming Djed into Res is not a natural occurrence and requires Initiation.

The Soul
Visual Diagram :
A hand drawn visualization of the four layers of a person’s soul.

Soulcore :
The life essence of each individual and creature. The soulcore is the purest form of Djed known and provides the power for Personal Magic. How much Djed a soulcore provides varies from person to person, but the soulcore replenishes what is spent over time.

Persona :
The layer that carries the sense of personal identity. Holding the memories of an individual as well as being the source of feeling. The Persona is subject to modification throughout life.

Astral Body :
The layer that connects the soul with the physical body. Disconnection is possible with the use of Projection.

Aura :
An emanation of energy from sources of Djed. While things without souls possess auras, an individual’s aura is more potent.

Overgiving
Minor Effects :
These symptoms of Overgiving can last for several bells or even several days.
    Headaches
    Metallic taste on the tongue
    Mild euphoria with the urge to cast more magic
    Hearing voices that aren’t real otherwise known as Sweet Whispers
    Tremors
    Bloodshot eyes
    Difficulty controlling spells

Moderate Effects :
These symptoms of Overgiving can last for ten to thirty days.
    Internal and External bleeding for no reason
    Convulsions
    Altered mental states like confusion and delirium
    Moderate to extreme pain
    High probability of losing control of spells

Severe Effects :
These symptoms can take years to recover from and are often permanent.[list] Mutations of the body
Drastic changes of mental state
Death[list]
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes