Song for the Sky IV

Lani's journey comes to an end and Leth bestows her with a gift and a message.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Song for the Sky IV

Postby Lani Stranger on October 29th, 2018, 12:16 am

79th of Fall, 518AV

When Lani woke on this morning, something was off. Something had woken her, and she could not tell what it was. Instinctually she found her gaze falling upon the star. She had been utterly obsessed with the strange rock for the multitude of the season. After the crashing first few days of receiving her Kelvic form, she had grown used to the Jackal form. She had found it useful, and although the strange gift had given her much concern, and worry, she had come to accept it.

Leth still reigned over the sky, for her apartment was rinsed in the soft blue light of the moon. Her focus was inexplicably drawn to the star, and within a few seconds, she stood to retrieve it from her table. Carefully balancing it in both hands, she rushed back into her bed, covering her legs with the covers and watching the star. It seemed as if she was waiting for something, and she had no idea what to expect from it.

“As the rays of my beloved Syna reach across the horizon, I wish to give you this bit of insight. The changes you’ve experienced were not without a purpose. They were meant to serve as a source of reflection.” While the voice spoke, the rock began to crumble away in her hands. For a moment, Lani seemed to consider panicking, but the voice soothed her, and let her mind wander to it’s meaning. She could tell by now that as it spoke, the rock changed, and so she did not worry for it. Instead she listened. ” Change is an important force that drives all life. How you dealt with the changes you were faced with; changes in body, mind and even in the minds of others, speaks greatly to who you are as a person. As you continue to live your life, take time to reflect on what you experienced and ponder your reactions to the change. Did you hide them or hide from them? Did you embrace them? Did you exploit them or use them for the betterment of others? As you search for the deeper meaning of change and how you deal with it, know that I, Leth, God of Thought and Change have gifted you that opportunity. Also, as a gift and a reminder, I offer a piece of my light. The stone you discovered contains a piece of starfire. In your hands, it will undergo its own change. Take it with my blessing.”

In place of the rock, rest a cool, light mass of not-quite-liquid that had the same not-quite-metallic sheen of the stone. It was not hot, although Leth had named it starfire. It was also lightweight, but then there had been a stone. She barely had time to let the words set in, or to open her mouth in reply, when the substance began to change. In her hands, it twisted and writhed, growing and solidifying into a distinct shape. It shivered and hardened in the moonlight, taking on more details that revealed itself as a key. The surface of this small, silver key is crackled with lines of starfire. Set in the bow of the key is a tiny pearl shaped vaguely like a wolf or maybe, jackal. Other than being cool to the touch, weighing nothing and looking quite unique, the key seemed to have little other purpose; it fits no particular lock.
Last edited by Lani Stranger on December 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Song for the Sky IV

Postby Lani Stranger on October 29th, 2018, 12:16 am

The strangely addictive way that she seemed attracted to the star had nearly ceased. She felt the strange energy that had rested near her heart for the bulk of the season fade away with it. Lani knew, in her soul that she would no longer be able to transform into a Jackal. The thought saddened her slightly, although not enough to cause any impact. She had feared the Kelvic changed when she first received it. She was already a misfit, she belonged nowhere, and the mixed blood did not want her racial ambiguity to be further muddled with the chance that she shared Chaktawe, Eypharian, and Kelvic blood, a combination that seemed impossible, that she hoped was impossible. But over the past moon, she had come to embrace the change, to appreciate it. It had helped her further her knowledge of the world around Wind Reach, it had helped her retrieve things that her humanoid form would not allow. It had gotten her places in this city where her black hair would not allow her. Over time she had learned that the change would make her identity all that more ambiguous, but that that wasn’t particularly a bad thing, even in this xenophobic city.

By the time Lani had time to process this, Syna’s light was filtering through the air shafts in her apartment. She was trying to find words to thank the God for the hap chance gift that she was given, especially after all it had done to her.

“T-Thank you, Leth.” Lani finally spoke aloud to Leth. She hadn’t thought about what she wanted to say, but she found the words tumbling from her mouth. ”I have recognized this change that the star had bestowed upon me, either directly or indirectly from you. I don’t assume to say I knew exactly what it had meant to me when I first experienced it. And I will admit that I feared the change, but I hope, as I feel it leaves me now, I’ve not wasted it.” Lani paused, noticing the light shift from blue to grey. She felt as if there was more to say, but she was not able to conjure it up at the moment. She had never prayed to Leth before, she had barely considered his realm. But within the season she had considered the God for answers on what was happening to her. She hadn’t imagined that Leth was actually responsible for the change, as it turns out he was, which left the mixed blood at a loss for words. ”Nice talking to ya.” She muttered into her hands, note sure how to speak to this God, not sure what to say to him.

Syna’s light now filled the room, and Lani stood, deciding she was not going to let this key go. She held it close to her heart, and turned to her baskets, pulling out a length of twine, and slipping the key onto it. She tied it around her neck, and adjusted the key as it settled over her sternum, where it would stay for a long time until she discovered what the key actually held.
Last edited by Lani Stranger on November 25th, 2018, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Song for the Sky IV

Postby Ssezzkero on November 1st, 2018, 10:56 pm

Observation +1, Religion: Leth, Metallic Space Rock: Starfire, Starfire: Light of Leth
+Starfire Key
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)