Flashback A Spiritist's Kin

A relaxing day out with family

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

A Spiritist's Kin

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on July 8th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Summer 50, 515
Sea of Grass

Anja often dreamed of bones. It was not unusual for the Drykas to dream of death. The Sea of Grass showed preferential treatment to no one, and the slightest flicker of chance could bring any Drykas’ life to a sudden, brilliant and bloody close. Perhaps the difference for Anja when compared to his fellows was his mood during the dreams. When his spectral eyes fell upon Syna bleached bones baked in golden light, the Drykas felt at peace. Ohs tratche. He would watch the waves of grass dance in time to the undulations of spirits long since gone from this world. Death in its colorful machinations was just as beautiful as life.

“Already it is morning and yet my husband still sleeps like the dead.”

Anja opened a single sky colored eye. He might have taken in the woven gold tapestries of charging striders lining the walls, or the finely spun woolen blankets that covered his person. But as usual, the man only had eyes for his wife. She was curled up beside him like a kitten, one hand on his stomach and her head playfully resting on his shoulder. Ocean blue eyes, more vibrant than the sky and deeper than the Sea of Grass’s darkest lake gazed at him with a mischievous fondness. Ebony hair cascaded down her shoulders, partially obscuring a school of fish crawling across her neck and disappearing into the shadow of the spiraling wind marks crossing her bare shoulder.

“I was up late last night gavee,” Anja protested. His dominant arm was trapped underneath his beloved’s back, so he raised his free hand to speak in a weak, single-handed gesture. “Surely my kind and caring wife would not fault me extra sleep.”

“Yes and I know your ghosts keep you great company and the work you do is very important,” she replied teasingly. “But need I remind you that you promised me a ride at first light? Your business has kept you far too busy the last ten day. Always off riding to some place or another. Your family is neglected, husband.”

Syla was being playful, not spiteful. But there was an air of truth in her teasing words that sent a pang of guilt through Anja’s sleep addled nerves.

“I believe I was not too terribly neglectful to you last night,” Anja murmured back. He turned his body so he faced his wife, freeing his arm from underneath her body. His fingertips gently traced her wind mark, starting first at her wrist then delicately moving upwards until he reached the tip of her shoulder. Syla’s eyes fluttered closed at his touch, and he didn’t miss the way her breath caught between her lips at his caress. She caught his hand as it began to move back down her shoulder and pulled at his arms so they wrapped around her neck then gently brushed her lips against his. She finally settled with their noses just inches apart.

“I will not be distracted from my ride, Anja.”

The drykas let out a disappointed sigh through his teeth. Love-making was an enjoyable way of keeping his wife content when he was busy with work, but not entirely foolproof in its success rate. Syla had a restlessness befitting the best of plains bred drykas, and if she felt neglected than her stubbornness would make him miserable until he acquiesced. Perhaps this was the reason he only had one wife. Keeping up with more women than her would leave the poor man senseless.
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Words: 298384
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Spiritist's Kin

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on July 8th, 2018, 9:02 pm

“I will speak with Orem then. I am sure he will give me time with you, considering how much how often I’ve been away from the Pavilion lately. Did you want to bring Lok along? If we run across any rabbits then he’ll be able to get in some practice with his bow.”

Syla brought a hand up to the crown of her head and ran her fingers through her hair thoughtfully. “I am not sure. We’ll have to ask him. Ivhard has been teaching him about dog training lately and I’m not sure he’ll be interested in leaving the pavillion. You know how he is with his newest and brightest interest.”

“I wish he would just pick one or two things,” Anja said dryly. “But I suppose it is good for him to experiment until he sees where his talent lies.”

“You’re just disappointed that your son doesn’t like ghosts,” Syla teased.

Anja had no argument for that. “Disappointed perhaps. But not surprised. It is a...niche interest.” He sighed. “But I should quit stalling you. If we have time to talk we have time to rise for the morning, yes?”

Without ceremony, Syla kicked the blankets off of them and rose to her feet in a dramatic fashion. “As my husband says,” she replied, eyes sparking.

Life in the Sea of Grass required expediency. Neither Anja nor Syla were people who lingered over daily tasks, and it didn’t take more than a few chimes for them to both be dressed and ready for their daily tasks. Anja preferred darker colors, and most of his clothing were rich cocoa browns and milky tans, occasionally mixed with creamy whites. He was conservative for a drykas. Syla wore bright golds with intricate knotwork on the sleeves and belt, and adorned herself in jewelry on a near daily basis. She teased Anja about his wardrobe frequently. The man fondly touched his bastard sword, his last remaining memento of his father, and strapped it to his back. With the addition of a small bag filled with items used in work strapped around his waist, Anja was ready to go.

The pair emerged from their personal tent blinking into the light of Syna. Dawn was only just creeping its way across the horizon, but Pavalion showed signs of having been awake for at least a full bell. The zibri and the horses grazed merily among the circle of tents and the large pavilion. Nearly the moment the two emerged from their tent, two heads lifted from their grazing and trotted over to meet their partners. Anja greeted his strider fondly. Rivian was the most handsome strider that Anja had ever known, but he would freely admit his bias to anyone who asked. The strider was as gold as the gem who marked their clan, and had a mane and tail as black as night. Rivian’s black tipped nose bumped gently against Anja’s chest as the horse nickered quietly.

“Good morning, friend,” Anja said affectionately. His hands moved across his mount’s head and neck without a need for thought, searching for any possible injuries or rough patches of skin that might need tending to. “Anything troubling you this morning?”
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Spiritist's Kin

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on July 8th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Rivian bumped his head harder against Anja’s chest and backed up a few steps, a sort of ‘no need to worry about me’ gesture. “If you say so,” Anja chuckled, though he still eyed his companion’s figure out of the corner of his eye. Anja wouldn’t put it past the strider to ignore an injury so as not to be left out of the daily events.
The man’s fingers found unpracticed knot work in his mount’s mane. “Has Lok been at you again?” Anja asked. The horse had no reply, but his eyes were amused and knowing.

Meanwhile, Syla had finished greeting her strider. Kestra was as pale and golden as Syna’s light. This morning she glowed faintly, as she often did when there was no worry of attack. The strider was at least as much of a show off as Anja’s wife was. Anja offered his hand to Kestra, who sniffed it politely before turning back to her rider. Anja turned to Rivian. “Have you seen Lok today? He is up, isn’t he?”

Rivian whickered an agreement. Lok slept with the other children in the pavilion, so he tended to get up when their Ankal did, before everyone else. Anja scanned the circle of tents, his eyes roaming across moving bodies until he found a shape that might match that of his son, considering it was smack in the middle of a pile of dozing dogs and hunting cats.

Anja swung himself up onto Rivian’s bare back. Even for a short distance, it was more natural to ride than walk. Anja urged Rivian into a trot that crossed the confines of the camp and pulled back on his mount’s mane as they approached. Lok bounced from the pile of animals like a spring, prompting a grin out of Anja.

“Diakh! Good morning!”

Only just ten, Lok was a ball of barely restrained energy. His long dark hair was coiled with a single simple braid, that knowing Lok had been done himself.

Anja reached down and lifted Lok up onto his strider’s back. Rivian’s ears twitched in a sort of ‘excuse me I don’t recall you asking permission for this’ way. Anja flicked his strider’s ear. The horse was extremely permissible for a strider, and didn’t mind having family members on his back, much as he pretended to protest.

“Good morning gapeo,” Anja told his son fondly. “Were you at your knot work on Rivian this morning?”

Lok nodded eagerly, a grin on his face. “I’ll be the best knotter soon!” he told his father. “When we next go to Endrykas, everyone will marvel at it!”

Assuming he stayed with it until they returned. But Anja didn’t say that. He would not be responsible for discouraging his son from anything. “If you keep practicing you will be great at it,” said Anja. “What is this about dogs now? Your mother told me this is your new interest. I was not gone so long as to miss this new thing, was I?”

Anja walked Rivian back towards where his wife waited, and listened as Lok excitedly talked about training and diets and scenting. The boy’s gestures in Pavi were loud and exaggerated, just as the boy himself was.
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Spiritist's Kin

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on November 11th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Grades Have Arrived

Anja Nightwalker