Playing a Housewife/homemaker?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Ruth Wavedancer on December 28th, 2018, 9:42 am

Hi,

So this site looks really good and I'm excited to play, but the character concept I had in mind was (starting out as, anyway) a housewife - although her husband would have a job so it's not like there's no money going in.

Is that feasible? The job system you've got here seems like it could work, but also might not, depending. I could easily do two job threads as a housewife (it's not as if there's no work involved!) but then I don't know how the pay would work, so if the answer is 'no', I completely understand.
Ruth Wavedancer
Player

Words: 6083
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2018, 9:35 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Luminescence on December 28th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Welcome to Miz, Ruth! :)

Playing a housewife is not impossible, but you would most likely need another job of some sort, since I don't exactly see someone being paid to stay at home. However, it's something you can discuss with the ST of the city you decide on. You'll also want to take a look at the wiki page on NPCs, since you have to pay the expenses of personal NPCs, and not the other way around.

If you haven't already, I recommend hopping into our Discord chat (there's a link on the home page and in your welcome PM); there's always someone around to answer questions!
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Postby Ruth Wavedancer on December 31st, 2018, 11:43 am

While I realise she wouldn't be actually earning money per se, I figured it could work IC with her husband earning the money and it going to them both (as you say part of it would go into him as the NPC), and OOC with the two job threads being done as a housewife. So the job/income mechanic would still work as it normally does, and I wouldn't get any advantages like getting money without doing the OOC work for it, or getting a free NPC.

NB: I was interested in potentially going to Lhavit, as it looks like a really cool city to be in. Can I assume that as the ST there it wouldn't work for you?

Thanks for letting me know about the discord - I'll definitely check it out! :-)
Ruth Wavedancer
Player

Words: 6083
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2018, 9:35 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Luminescence on December 31st, 2018, 1:51 pm

NPCs cannot earn money for players; even if you are still doing two 'work' threads, if your character does not have a job, they will not be paid for it. So unfortunately no, that wouldn't work in Lhavit. To be perfectly honest, simply due to the way NPCs work, I don't really see that specific set-up working anywhere.

However, if you wanted to discuss other potential options in the same vein, I would be more than happy to do so; simply shoot me a PM. :) And do let me know if you have any other questions about Lhavit!
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)