Spring Showers (Gemma)

Dev'Ania and Gemma spend a rainy day together.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Dev'Ania on March 12th, 2019, 12:36 am

8th of Spring 519 AV

It was obvious that the weather was not going to be the best today as Dev'Ania sat, staring out of her window. The sky was gray and the clouds - usually white and puffy - were gray and gloomy. These were the type of days that Dev liked. They made her feel calm and relaxed. It was clearly going to rain sometime today, but it was Dev's only free day, so she wanted to still go out to enjoy her day.

She got dressed, making sure to wear long pants and boots. It wasn't the most flattering outfit, but it was best to protect again the cold rain that was bound to come during the day. She stood looking down at the boots that covered her wedded toes. They were getting old and she definitely needed to grab a new pair while out today.

Exiting the apartments, she observed the sky above her. With no exact plan for the day, as usual, she decided to go see what Gemma was doing for the day. Hopefully, she wasn't working. The streets of Lhavit were surprisingly full despite the weather. Dev thought that they might be less busy since it was going to rain, but she was very wrong.

The Konti made her way to the Parker residence in the Okomo Villa. As she approached the residence, she heard an odd sound come from behind her. Hearing the sound, Dev'Ania flicked her head around to investigate where it came from. walking lethargically behind her was an Okomo, occasionally stopping to sniff around. Dev'Ania was immediately amazed by the sight. This was her first time seeing an Okomo up close. Her actual first time was when she arrived in Lhavit, but that was in the dark of night, and she couldn't really see all of its features.

Excitedly, Dev'Ania ran up to the door of Gemma's house and began to knock on it, hoping someone was home. "Hello, is anyone home!" Realizing she was beginning to get loud, she lowered her voice to avoid scaring away the beautiful animal.

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Words: 137250
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Gemma Parker on March 15th, 2019, 6:34 pm

There was a frantic knock at the door, startling Gemma from her herb mixing. She had been bottling a cream that would be used for treating burns. It used the same underwater goopy plant used in Tulja, but rather than mixing it with tropical roots, she had added a Vyfox infused oil to make a cream rather than a poultice. A cream would last longer and potentially . She had all the ingredients on the table and was just putting the oil on the stove in the double boiler to make it into a salve when the knock came.

“Just a tick!” She said as she scrambled to drop the wax into the boiler and clean her hands. She rushed to the door and found Dev waiting for her. She realized that she had not yet heard the woman shout, so she had not recognized her voice.

“Oh, Dev! Hey! What’s up?” Gemma asked, delighted to see her friend.

“Where are my manners, come in, come in! It’s pouring!” She said, stepping aside to let Dev in.

“I’m just finishing up making a cream if you want to watch. Sorry I haven’t gotten around to showing you any herbalism like I said I would.” She went back over to the stove and began stirring the now melted wax into the hot oil, adjusting the heat a little so the oil didn’t get too hot and ruin the medicinal effects.

“Oh, you’re all wet! There’s a towel in my room if you want to dry off.” She said, gesturing toward her room with her head while she stirred.

“We can totally do something if you want. I just have to finish this quick.” When the oil was done melting the wax and had been stirred, Gemma moved the container over to the table with hot pads and poured the hot oil into a large container. She looked up from her project, now needing to wait until the mixture cooled before she could add more.

“What did you have in mind?"
Gemma Parker
Player

Words: 219685
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Dev'Ania on March 25th, 2019, 1:58 am

Dev’Ania stepped into the house, shielding herself from the falling rain. The rain didn’t bother her. It actually was quite refreshing to feel the cool rain fall down, soaking the scales on her skin. Her wet clothes dripped on the floor, making a small puddle where she stood. Gemma was busy with making her cream. It did intrigue her to watch Gemma as she worked, mixing and pouring different liquids.

“Take your time finishing your cream. It is really cool to watch you, actually.” She continued talking as she walked into Gemma’s room. Spotting the towel on the end of her bed, she began to pat herself dry, returning to where Gemma worked away. “I figured I would come to visit since I had nothing to do. I didn’t really have anything specific in mind, but I guess it would be nice to go out and get some new stuff to help stay dry from the rain. I saw a couple of nice things at the market if you want to stop by there?"

She tied her damp hair into a neat bun to prevent it from getting into her mouth and eyes. She took a seat across from where Gemma was busy working and continued to observe her.

"Oh! Sorry for yelling out there. I might have gotten a little over excited," she let out a chuckle, "I saw an Okomo. It was so pretty and I wanted to see if you had anything to feed it? Like a small treat? Or maybe we can get something while we are out?" Dev paused between her sentences, almost as if she were a small child asking for something they knew they might not receive.

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Gemma Parker on March 27th, 2019, 12:29 am

Dev came out of Gemma's room, drying her hair with Gemma's towel. It was cool that Dev was able to feel at home here. Gemma hoped her mom would be proud. She shook her head lightly and breathed. She didn't need to always be thinking about what her mom would think or say. Her mom was never home anyway.

Dev suggested that they go shopping, and Gemma chuckled. Good old Dev. Always shopping. She couldn't complain, though. She had to admit that she appreciated the woman's fashion sense. "That sounds great!" She said. "There's some Bromegrass in the back that they're always munching on when they get a chance. There might be some just to the left of the back door that you could pull without getting too wet. He might even come up to the door if you call him." She chuckled as she got back to work with her cream.

She had a bowl of Tulja Goop on the table, which she now poured over cheese cloth and into another bowl. She grabbed the corners of the cloth and pulled them up into a bag with the goop in the center before wringing the goop out so that only the water was left. This would give the cream a smoother texture. What was left in the cheese cloth was something akin to drying swamp mud, which she grinningly offered to Dev.

"Wanna touch it?" There was a daring look in her eye. If dev did touch it, it would probably feel something like fiberous Okomo droppings. Not that Gemma knew what those felt like. Of course not.

With the water now separated from the goop, Gemma slowly poured it into the pot of oil, within which the wax was already hardening. Gemma kept stirring to keep it liquid, and as she added the water, the oil, wax, and Tulja water began to combine into a dark cream.

"That's all I need to do for now. It'll cool and I can dole it out later. Did you find any Bromegrass?"
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Dev'Ania on March 28th, 2019, 3:27 am

The Konti was excited to hear that Gemma, indeed, had something to give the cute okomo as a treat. Gemma had informed Dev about the Bromegrass in the back of her house. “Awesome! I will go get some really quick.” Dev’Ania headed to the back door. She opened it revealing the pouring rain. Water dripped off the roof, splashing into forming puddles on the ground. She squatted down, holding the door frame to keep balance, and pulled a handful of Bromegrass. In her hand, it was wet and slippery, but she didn’t mind. Without a container to put it in, she stuffed the Bromegrass into her pocket.

She returned to Gemma, once again, watching her continue with her cream. She was still excited to feed the okomo ad wanted to go find it right then and there. She didn't want to seem too much like an overjoyed child, so she decided to wait until the two Konti's left the residence. Hopefully, the creature would still be close.

Dev watched as Gemma handled what looked like mud. A questioning look spread across Dev's face as Gemma dared her to feel the substance. "Ew! It looks so weird." She looked for a tick as if she were not going to take up her dare. Yet, she reached over the table and poked the substance with one of her fingers. Upon touching it, a look of disgust could be seen through her wrinkled nose lowered eyebrows.

"Wow, that felt so odd!" She sat back down with a small giggle. "It was a bit squishy." Gemma continued with pouring and mixing her mixture, making it into a cream.

At the mention of the Bromegrass, Dev'Ania quickly remembered it was stored in her pocket. "Oh yes! I did find it. I was thinking we could feed it together when we left for the market." She pat her pocket with her hand to indicate that was where she put it. "I didn't where else to put it, so I put it right here in my pocket."

Dev'Ania stood from her seat and walked over to the door to look for the okomo. She looked around for a couple of ticks before spotting the animal. "Oh, I see it. It is about to walk away, but if we go now, we may be able to feed it before it leaves."

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Gemma Parker on March 29th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Gemma was pleased to see that Dev had found the grass to feed the Okomo. They had plenty of it growing all around Okomo Estates, and she had seen the Okomo munching in it in the past.

"Sure, let's go. I don't know if I'll be able to shop much, since I haven't planned out my expenses for the month with school and supplies and such, but I'd love to go with you. Maybe I can find a piece or two." She said. She flipped up the hood on her dress and slipped on her gloves, whincing a bit at the pain in her shoulder. She instinctively stretched a little bit to try and work out the soreness, but she knew that it wouldn't help. She sent a short prayer to her goddess, causing her gnosis mark to light up with power as she laid it gingerly over her inflamed shoulder.

"We might have to go a bit slower than usual, sorry. I keep trying to do business as usual with my mixing and herbalism and in the moment I don't notice it too much unless I really overdo it. But I'm telling you, as soon as the task is done, the pain is right there waiting." She confessed.

"But as long as you don't mind waiting for me to change slowly, I could really use the distraction." She said.

"Ready?" She asked as she went to the door, pulling it open. Outside, the Okomo was still hanging around, but he had already started to sniff at some of the decorative grass around her house.

"Can't have that, now, can we?" She said, to Dev with a smile. "Maybe if we feed it it'll walk with us into town, what do you think? It might bring good fortune. But I guess you wouold be the expert on that, wouldn't you?" She said.

"Hand me some of the grass, I wanna try this." She held out her hand while keeping her eye on the Okomo before her.
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Dev'Ania on March 31st, 2019, 10:03 pm

Dev'Ania pulled her hood over her head. It was still damp from before, which made it cold. She was definitely going to get a cold from the chilling rain. "It's okay if you can't shop for long, or get anything. I know what it's like to have to watch your expenses."

She watched as Gemma winced from pain in her shoulder. She always hated to see people in pain. It made her feel bad for them. She watched, shocked to see that Gemma could heal herself, just by saying a couple of words. She knew it had to be some type of healing gnosis mark, but she didn't know from which god or goddess, or exactly how it worked. MAybe it was similar to her Divination gnosis.

"I really don't mind slowing down a bit for you. I can see how much pain you are in. It must really suck. I know how much you like to stay busy, but it is important to take care of yourself and rest. Or else, it might get worst." Dev'Ania gave a stern look to Gemma. She didn't want Gemma to do too much and hurt herself even more. "Well, I think that is enough of a lecture." Dev smiled and giggled a little.

As Gemma opened the door, Dev stepped out into the rain. Luckily, it had become a light drizzle and was no longer pouring. The ground squished under her feet as she walked slowly over to the creature. The two women noticed the okomo sniffing at decorative grass. "Oh no, we definitely don't want it to eat that. It might upset its stomach or make it choke!"

Dev took out the pile of grass from her pocket and held it firmly in her palm. She divided the pile in two and handed one to Gemma. She chuckled at Gemma's comment of Dev being an expert in fortune."Yeah, I guess I am," she replied shrugging her shoulders. "I mean it has been a while since I have told a fortune. Maybe I should read yours sometime."

The creature stood sniffing around as the women approached it. Dev snuck closer quietly to avoid startling it. When she got closer, she began to call out for it. "Here little okomo. We have a tasty treat for you to munch on. Much better than that yucky decorative grass!" The okomo looked up at them and started approaching them. "That's it, fella." Dev's hand met the okomo's mouth. The animal's wet, leathery tongue could be felt rubbing against her hand as it scooped up and ate the Bromegrass. "Well, that felt odd." She turned to Gemma, wiping her hand onto her cloak. "Your turn."

Last edited by Dev'Ania on April 5th, 2019, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Gemma Parker on April 2nd, 2019, 4:53 pm

Gemma tried to take a deep breath but coughed a deep chest cough, hacking up some phlegm. She groaned. "I just cannot shake this stupid pneumonia. Dang. I really need to get waterproofing oil for my clothes. At this rate I'll be sick all season." Her voice what raspy.

"Don't you go getting sick too, ok? At least one of us has to be able to haggle in the market if we're gonna go shopping." She said, grabbing her satchel and flipping up her hood.

Gemma saw Dev eying her as she healed herself, and she chuckled before coughing again. "Oh, have I not shown you this?" She asked, shaking her head. "Crazy how we've been hanging out and it's never come up until now." She removed the glove on her right hand and showed the mark of Rak'keli to her kinswoman. The mark was fading from its silver glow back to its innate black color until it looked almost like a tattoo in the shape of a winged serpent that wove along the back of her hand and wrist.

"It's a mark of Rak'keli. Mom says most Konti get a mark from either her or our matron deity at birth. I can sense my mom's mark, and your face confirms that this is new for you, so does that mean you have the other mark? I never really asked my mom about what it does, and I haven't thought to ask you about it. Basically mine lets me heal simple wounds almost instantly. I can also soothe muscle soreness like in my shoulder, though it's not perfect. To really heal my shoulder and lungs I'd need a second mark, but that might never happen. My mom said a second mark wasn't uncommon back on Konti Isle, but she doesn't have one, and she's been with The Opal Order for years. I kind of secretly hope I'll one day be able to impress Rak'keli enough to warrant a second mark, but I don't know. I kind of feel like she doesn't even know I exist but for my use of her mark. Maybe when I travel to Konti Island someday." She trailed off and out her glove back on before heading out of the house.

“Thanks, we’ll have to go slow if you want me to keep up with you. Sorry to slow you down.” Gemma lowered her head, but smiled. It was nice to have someone softly caring for her and telling her to rest rather than beating her down and making her feel bad.

Dev went out and started feeding the Okomo, and Gemma chuckled at her distinction between Bromegrass and the "decorative grass" she had mentioned.

"Dev, Bromegrass is decorative grass. My dad just prefers that the Okomo leave the stuff he actually uses for decoration alone if it can be helped." She giggled again. It was cute that Dev didn't know anything about plants when something like that was obvious to Gemma, who had grown up around plants all her life. But Dev was a very different kind of Konti.

"I really do have to teach you more about plants some time, don't I?" She said, taking the remaining grass from Dev and approaching the Okomo with a soft smile.

"Here, watch this. Did you see how he pulled back a little when you fed him? If you offer just the top of the grass and then let him eat it more slowly, he'll be more comfortable. Then just rub his neck while he eats and talk to him. She approached the Okomo and modeled her instruction.

"Hey there, big guy. You full yet? Nah, you have room for more, right?" She offered the grass, and the Okomo took it after only a moment's hesitation. Gemma instinctively cleaned her hand off after getting the Okomo slobber all over her. She laughed, even though the rain was falling and her breath misted in the air.

Dev offered to tell her fortune, and Gemma frowned. She had never had her fortune told. “I don’t really know anything about fortune telling. How does it work? Is it a kind of magic?” She asked as she patted the Okomo once before turning away and heading toward town.

“Do you already have your purchases in mind?” She asked.
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Dev'Ania on April 5th, 2019, 3:04 am

Dev'Ania hit her palm to her head, gawking at her own ignorance. Plants just were not her thing. Thank the gods she had Gemma to teach her. She probably had millions of facts on various plants and herbs just waiting to spill out. A lesson on plants was much needed. Gardening wouldn't be such a bad skill to take up.

"How embarrassing. I really have no idea about these types of things, but I really would like to learn more. I admire how you are so educated on the topic of herbs and plants at such a young age."

She apparently did not know a lot about feeding okomo either. Dev stood back and watched as Gemma fed the okomo, letting it take its time instead of giving it all at once as Dev had done. It had been a while since she had been in touch with nature. Since living in Riverfall. Yet even there, she did not explore the natural world. Here in Lhavit, the only animal she had been around was Ember, and Ember was very choosy over the foods that she feasted on. Even though Ember was a cat, she didn't think there was much of a difference between a cat and okomo eating. Clearly, there was.

Dev was surprised to know that Gemma had never had her fortune told. There was finally something Dev'Ania could teach Gemma! "What! You have never had a fortune reading? Fortune telling is not really magic, but it is more of an art of entertaining. Some fortune tellers just use it to manipulate people, but the good ones, like me, are honest in our readings. There are different ways one could have their fortune told, but the most common way is with tarot cards, which is my favorite way. Each card in a tarot deck has its own meaning. Someone having a card reading would pick the cards randomly and they would be used to interpret their fortune. A lot of people use it to know about their future. I, of course, also have the first mark of Divination, so I can also see into the past. Well, sort of." She uncovered her the symbol of the Seer's Lily, showing it to Gemma as they began walking into town.

"I don't really know what to get yet, but-" Dev'Ania stepped into a puddle of mud, stopping her in the middle of her sentence. She could feel the wet mud squish between her toes. SHe looked down at her foot, a look of surprise set on her face. At the tip of her shoe, there was a small opening. Well, it was decided new boots it would be. "Ha. Actually, I guess I will be getting some new boots." she giggled and showed the hole to Gemma. She was curious about where the opening had come from. "They are a bit old, I guess. Good thing the Azure Market has a variety of things!"

Dev'Ania skipped ahead, jumping over puddles and holes full of mud. She stopped and turn to see Gemma behind her and skipped back to her side. "Sorry I am dragging you along. I know you aren't feeling well. Maybe you should go back home to rest?"

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Spring Showers (Gemma)

Postby Gemma Parker on April 6th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Gemma laughed heartily when Dev facepalmed. “Don’t be too impressed,” she said. “I’m basically only good at one thing, and that’s more because of who my parents are then anything I’ve done. You’re good at a bunch of stuff I suck at. And in a city like Lhavit, where you have All Things Wild, The Starry Chalice, and The Catholicon, even knowing just the basics is enough for most people. I actually used to help my dad give little community classes on herbalism. Maybe I could just show you some of the simple stuff for home use,” she offered, her voice gravely and unappealing to Gemma’s ears, but with Dev she didn’t feel the need to be self conscious.

“It doesn’t have to be as mystical and mysterious as some people think. Obviously there are witch doctors who pour their ingredients into a bubbling cauldron before handing you a florescent pink vial of who knows what to solve all your problems, but in my experience, a lot times the hardest part of herbalism is just getting reliable information about how to make something. Then it’s just following some simple instructions. Like for example, if you know how to make tea, you already know how to make an infusion and a decoction. They’re literally just really strong tea. So then all you need to know is how long to boil something for, and boom. You’re an herbalist.” She shrugged and kept walking, brushing the slobber off of her hand from the Okomo.

“And oh my goddess, do not get me started on the age thing. I mean you’ve already been here for like two seasons, right? So you’ve probably seen this already. But people here don’t seem to understand that just because we look like we’re super young doesn’t mean we can’t do stuff. I mean I admit it, I’m not even twenty yet. But really? Some days I can’t even treat a patient without someone making a comment about me being too young to be a doctor. Which, no, I’m not technically a doctor, but they don’t know the difference.” She realized she was ranting and getting a little worked up, and winced. Her mother would scold her for talking too much.

“Is that the same with you as a fortune teller? You’re still doing that, right? Working as a fortune teller?” Gemma asked.

Gemma laughed at Dev’s incredulity at her never having had her fortune told. “Nope, I’m a fortune virgin.” Gemma giggled at her own joke. She then listened to Dev’s explanation about how it worked, and was fascinated.

“Wow. I guess we both have professions that are easily misunderstood,” she mused and nodded in understanding. When Dev showed Gemma her mark, the younger Konti’s face lit up.

“Whoa, that’s your mark? I thought it was just a pretty tattoo. Whoa…” She got close and touched the mark with both hands as if she was trying to smooth out the already perfect skin to see the mark better. She was a few inches shorted than Dev, so her eyes were at the perfect height to see the girl’s mark.

“I saw this when you came over last season for dinner, but I didn’t think to ask about out. Mom probably knew what it was, but she didn’t say anything.” She cleared her throat when she felt the the phlegm build up.

“What does your mark do, though? You said you can see the past, but only kind of?” She asked, continuing to walk with Dev.

“Aww, I hate it when that happens,” Gemma said, lamenting over Dev’s now soggy boots. “I’m sorry. Do you wanna go back to my house quick and put on a pair of mine? I have a spare pair if you want, but we’d have to go back.” But Dev was already skipping ahead, seemingly not in the least bothered by the wet shoes. Sadly Gemma knew she didn’t have the energy to do any kind of skipping herself, so she was just sloshing through the puddles. It was a good thing she had good boots.

“I mean we can go back, but I still wanna hang out, no matter what we do. We’re almost there anyway, so maybe we can just rest somewhere with a fireplace and let me warm up before doing more shopping. I’m up for anything. I’m just enjoying hanging out.” She smiled genuinely.
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)