Hot day by the bay (Event)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Vasin on June 26th, 2019, 10:48 am

Timestamp: 20th of Summer, 519 A.V.
Vasin licked the inside of his mouth and blinked having woken up with a dry mouth and eyes and a kinda sticky bed from having sweated through the night. Vasin had made the mistake of having a blanket over himself as he slept and woke up feeling rather parched. Vasin had stumbled through the morning barely awake and not feeling too well. Slowly making it through his morning routine which brought him to where he was now, standing just outside his cottage. He brought his waterskin to his mouth and took in a mouth full of water. The water tasted like the best thing he had ever drunk in his lift. He couldn't resist taking another gulp before corking it and wiping his lips with his wrist."Ah..." he paused standing there for a moment. It hadn't rained in awhile had it? The lack of winter this year only made things worse he found. He scratched his head before making his way down the sidewalk. Vasin wanted to figure something out to do today that wasn't Martial Society Related. It was kinda hot to be standing around under the sun today, then again, wouldn't that make it too hot to walk around? Thinking it over he snapped his finger deciding on what to do! He had been considering it for a while, but he decided now was a good time to try the local flavors. He rustled his coin purse and decided that he should have enough to try some stuff out.

There had been some food shortages though, so he wasn't entirely sure if he would have any luck. He thought about it a moment before nodding, realizing there was a sure fire way. Unfortunately, that sure-fire way was much more expensive. He would go and get more expensive or luxury food. Vasin figured there would be less of a demand for that kind of food and thus make it easier to find? Did that make sense? He shook his head unsure as he walked."Know what..." he said quietly to himself."I'll just get whatever I can find." Vasin shrugged deciding to keep it nice and simple. Walking the street Vasin took notice of a patrol of Waveguard. They were doing the morning rounds keeping an eye on the city streets. Vasin hesitated for a moment, wanting to ask if they knew of a good place to get a bite or a drink. But they were probably busy right? He didn't want to get on their bad side. He considered it a moment longer. Well, they weren't like the gangers of Sunberth, so it wasn't like he would be in a great deal of trouble if he annoyed them. Those thoughts enforced by years of living in Sunberth kept creeping up into his mind. It was a bad habit, and before he knew it Vasin was now approaching the Waveguard who immediately took notice that he was approaching.

"Hello! I'm new around here. Just moved in and all that." he said the two wave guard looking to one another than him. The lead would speak up first questioning him with a curious eye as he crossed his arms. The other one seeming to be sizing Vasin up."Can we help you?"

They seemed to be eying him with some suspicion, Vasin briefly pondered why. Or maybe, they just found him a bit odd? Didn't know what to make of him? Regardless, he didn't pause for long."Yes uh... I was wondering if you knew where I could find a good drink or bite?"

The lead one seemed to consider Vasin's question for a moment. They rubbed their chin before looking over to their fellow Waveguard."Any ideas? I know that the Kelp Bar tends to be well regarded..."

The other Wave Guard Smirked shaking his head a little."It is just well known, not well regarded. But the sailors and dock workers like the place. If you are new here its a good of a place as any. I'd try some of the local brews if I were you... uh... what is your name?"

The second Wave Guard asked eyeing Vasin over. Vasin would pause for a moment wondering if he should really give out his name. He shook the idea that he shouldn't out of his head. This was his home now, and these were the keepers of peace and all that."Name's Vasin."

His introduction was simple, short and he gave a part smile trying to be friendly. The first one raised an eyebrow at his short introduction."Vasin...? Just Vasin? No last name?"

They seemed a little skeptical of him. Vasin went on and explained the reason for this, though decided to leave out some crucial details. Those details being that he had a choice of last names, one being from his father whom he did not like as he used to, and the other of his mother which would probably get him killed if he blabbed it out. "Yep, just a last name. Grew up in Sunberth you see an--"

The first Waveguard would interrupt with a realization."Ah! Sunberth! That explains a lot. A crazy place. Terrible place to live. Glad you got yourself out of there... it's much safer here."
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Vasin on June 26th, 2019, 10:49 am

Vasin rubbed the back of his head a little letting out a breath. Seemed they didn't have high regard for Sunberth."Yeah, it isn't the nicest of places. Not much in the way for opportunity unless you are willing to stomp on others. When I got the opportunity to come here, I ran with it."

Vasin nodded through the other Wave Guard squinted his eyes a little."What did you do while there?"

The lead one joined in his arms crossed examining Vasin."Well, to be honest, I was a debt collector under a man named Goldfinger. Now, it was technically a legitimate business, even if it wasn't a fair one."

Vasin defended himself a little both the WaveGuard giving each other a look before looking back to him."Well, sounds like you are the Mercenary type, did you join up with the Martial Society?"

Vasin would quietly nod."Aye, I did indeed. Best way to put my skills to use. Can't undo what I became, just reshape the path forward you know? I kind of think of myself as an explorer. I even tried to map out some of the tunnels with a friend of mine."

The lead Waveguard laughed a little."True true, but what you just said it is pretty crazy. I've heard them tunnels are extremely dangerous. Also, I suppose if you want to be an explorer the martial society is the right place. University sometimes hires out mercenaries to protect expeditions."

The Wave Guard explained though Vasin had been betting on that fact. It had been under an assumption, but now it was concrete."Thanks, anyways what is the way to the Kelp Bar?"

The lead Wave Guard thought for a moment. They would start to give Vasin the directions. Explaining how many turns and all of that."Then you will see it. Can't be missed. Though before you go I should give you some advice. It's just going to get hotter today, so drink lots of water and stay indoors. Don't want to."

The other safeguard chimed in."What he said, but there is something else I wanted to ask you. Your shoes and clothes.... they seem filthy with dirt. What have you been up to?"

The Wave Guard had finally brought something up that was truly odd. Vasin would look himself over and make an 'Oh' expression before giving a slight chuckle."This? I've been clearing some land the past few days."

The second wave guard blinked and seemed suspicious."Clearing some land?"

"Yeah, I've been helping a friend of mine. Kelski. We are set up five miles beyond the mountains. She is going to be homesteading... setting up a guild there. I and my Mule have been clearing the land out there for her."

The two wave guard seemed a mixture between concerned and amused."Explorer Vasin eh? Sounds like tough work. Though I think I heard something about a Guild Building out there. Well, you stay safe now alright?"

"I'll be certain to!" With that, Vasin and the two waveguard would part ways going opposite directions. Vasin would follow the Waveguard's directions step by step over into the Sailor's Quarter. He had passed through here a couple of times now, on his way to working out on the beach. But he had not really explored this part of the city in fullness yet. It really was all still new to him. Even in Sunberth he had been discovering new things about the city all the time. It hadn't been until relatively recently that he had learned that Sunberth had a library. Though, Vasin imagined that Zeltiva had a whole lot more about its layout documented then Sunberth. While that was going on through his head Vasin nearly missed his turn. Stuttering to a stop he would turn and just down the street he could see it. The Kelp Bar as described. A weathered and beaten down appearance did little to dissuade Vasin, as he had seen far worse in Sunberth. Coming closer he noticed the salt stains that ran up and down the building, and the Sunbleached wooden boards that made up it's exterior. There was a sign out front that gave away the name of the place. The name 'Kelp Bar' was punched through a metal sheet in a series of holes. A simple even if not elegant solution to making a sign.

Vasin approaching the bar looking it over as he came to the main entrance. Placing a hand on the door he would turn the doorknob and push. Walking in he blinked a couple of times, his eyes adjusting to the light levels. The place was lit by a few lamps here and there, and the inside somewhat matched the inside. The floorboards creaked as he made his way over to the bar, though he noticed upon entering that everyone present had turned to take a look at him. Examine him and see who had just entered the establishment. They had the look of gruff sailors and dock workers about them. Getting a morning drink in, though there were not so many right now. Seemed things were slow going in the morning, and people were slowly downing their drinks. To Vasin, it looked like no one was in a real hurry to head back inside. It was cooler in here, but only barely due to the shade the indoors offered. Stepping up to the bar Vasin would take a seat on the barstool. It creaked and almost felt as if it was going to give way at any moment. But it held and Vasin stopped worrying as conversation gradually returned to the bar.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Vasin on June 26th, 2019, 10:49 am

A small quiet woman cleaning a mug with a rag approached Vasin after he sat down Saying nothing at first as Vasin was getting adjusted in his seat. She spoke in a soft quiet tone a neutral expression on her face."What'll you have?"

Vasin thought for a moment though wasn't sure what they had to offer. He would consider what to say for a moment before speaking up."What's on tap?"

"Kelp Beer and Water."

Her reply required no hesitation and had been nearly instant after the moment Vasin had asked. Vasin paused for a moment wondering if that was really all they had to offer."Well, I suppose I'll have some Kelp Beer."

One of the patrons next to him snickered at hearing this but didn't really interact with Vasin. The woman who was named Leon Moorfel would softly nod and then walk off over to the tap. Vasin would glance back at hearing someone new enter the bar. The other bar-goers did the same, but apparently, they were a recognized face and would resume what they were doing. Vasin watched as they went over to the parlor section and by the time he looked back to the bar, Leon had returned. She sat down a mug of flat green liquid."Here you go, a mug of Kelp Beer."

Vasin would tentatively take the mug and peer into it having never seen a drink like this before. He looked down the bar and saw that others were indeed drinking the stuff. Vasin gave it an experimental sniff and blinked at the stench. It was rather poor smelling like rotten dead fish in liquid form. It wasn't the worst thing he had ever smelled, and Sunberth had desensitized him in some ways. But it was striking that people were drinking this stuff. So, Vasin put it to his lips and gave an experimental gulp. Vasin sat the mug down and coughed in reaction wiping his mouth. Some chuckles and snickers could be heard around. It tasted just like it smelled, like dead fish of the sea. "This stuff is pretty strong!" Vasin remarked as he gave another sip taking it slowly one sip at a time. He could stomach it, barely. An older gentleman spoke up with a laugh having been watching Vasin. "It's an acquired taste laddy! Drink enough of it and you'll appreciate it's finer qualities! "

Vasin chuckled a little himself taking another sip barely getting the stuff down."I'm sure it is! Stuff certainly is unique!"

The older gentleman raised his own mug."Aye, it is! You won't find another drink quite like it in all the world! Though today is hot, so I recommend you drink some water afterward lad. You look like a working type. This stuff will dry you right out."

Vasin raised an eyebrow before sipping again."I'll keep that in mind. You think today will be that hot?"

"Of course lad! It isn't even midday yet and it just keeps getting hotter and hotter. I tell you, the lack of winter and rain is going to be the death of us! I bet by midday the Center of Healing is going to be overrun with people not having drank enough water. Even if the treatment is free, you gotta wait your turn!"

Vasin was made a bit curious. What the old man was saying made a lot of sense. He was going to have to make sure to drink some water."Thanks for the info! Do you know where the Center of Healing is?"

Vasin asked the Old Man who seemed to think for a moment."It is in the Old Quarter, by the University. The place is funded by the University or something. Ask around there, you'll find your way!"

Well, that was helpful but not as much as he had hoped. If what the old man had said was true, then there were going to be a lot of sick people from this heat today. As Vasin started really drinking his Kelp Beer he decided that he should do something to help. He was going to head over to the Center of Healing after this to see what he could do. "Thanks! I'll check the place out later."
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Vasin on June 26th, 2019, 10:50 am

Vasin would finish his drink in time, though would not rush through it not really feeling like downing the whole thing in one go. He didn't think he would be able to stomach it if he did. So, chatting idly with the other patrons as they came and went he could feel the heat from outside seeping in. Once he had finished he would have paid what was owed and make his leave. Exiting out into the street and taking a look around the Sailor's Quarter. It was hot and approaching midday the hottest part of the day. There was not all that much activity on the streets. Seemed people were either at work or indoors. It was certainly too hot for Vasin to go about exercising. The heat and sun touch his skin, it was uncomfortably hot out. So, he took his waterskin and drank from it having taken the advice of the other bar patron. He then wiped his face and would head up the street."Let's see how things are at the Healing Center..." Vasin muttered as he would make his way over to the Old Quarter. The sun beating down on him he wondered how dock workers or other hard manual labor jobs could get anything done today. But, he supposed that when something had to be done, it got done.

As he approached the Center of Healing Vasin looked up at it, the building rising up over some of the surrounding and smaller buildings. This place, this quarter, in general, had a sort of... different? Yes, different feel to it. There were a lot more grand buildings visible. In Sunberth such buildings were a rare sight indeed. The Castle/Keep of Sunberth or the two guard towers being the only things so tall that he could recall. Then again, the slag heap was fairly tall as well. His memory of Sunberth was interrupted by a peculiar sight. Across the street appeared to be two sailors carrying a passed out sailor towards the Center of Healing. They seemed to be in a hurry, but they were struggling as well. Faces hot and their clothes dampened with sweat which came out in patches. Vasin stopped and watched for a moment as they hurried along up the street. That was probably what the older timer had warned him about. Subconsciously he reached for his water skin and then took a sip.

Approaching the Center of Healing now in front of it Vasin saw that people from various directions were heading towards it. All of them heated or injured in some way. As the midday was setting in it seemed that the toll of people suffering from the heat was rising. He wondered as he stood there what it was like inside. Through the front entrance at this instance, he could see a large number of people had gathered inside. Probably waiting their turn to see someone who could help them. Seemed that they were having some trouble keeping up with the influx of patients at this point in the day. There didn't seem to be a stop to people arriving in sight either. So, Vasin considered for a moment if he would really be able to help now that he saw it. He didn't know these people either, and these trained professionals were doing all they could. He paused and shook the selfish thought from his mind. He wasn't in Sunberth anymore, this was his new home, he had to try and at least act like it.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Vasin on June 26th, 2019, 10:51 am

Vasin found a number of people waiting to get in, waiting for their turn. he watched as patients were wheeled in and as patients left. The doors constantly swinging open and closed. Slipping on through as a patient was carried in Vasin found himself in the infirmary. Leather type beds lined up in rows with curtains drawn or closed around them. The room was rather large and spacious, it felt more like a gathering place then what it was being used for. People that Vasin figured looked like they could be healers walked up and down the rows of beds tending to the dick as they lay there. Though as he stared on he felt someone tap him on the shoulder Glancing over he saw a short brown haired woman with stunning green eyes. She looked at Vasin disapprovingly before speaking."Excuse me, but you will have to wait for your turn. We will see you when we can."

She had obviously taken Vasin for a patient who had grown impatient and snuck his way in. This was made obvious as she started making motions to try and usher him out."Wait for a second, I just want to help. I figured since it was so hot today that I could help out."

She seemed to pause for a moment looking him over. An eyebrow raised she would speak after giving a sigh."Do you know anything about medicine or healing?"

She asked this question trying to gauge how she could use him if at all. Vasin shook his head not knowing much of anything useful about either."Afraid not, but I'm sure I can help in other ways?"

She seemed to consider him for a moment before apparently making her decision. "Sure you can. Alright, we can use the bodies and we need to keep the rotation up. What's your name?"

Great! Vasin smiled a little glad she had decided to let him help out."My name is Vasin. What can I help with?"

"You? You can go around and give the heat stroke and dehydration patients wet cool rags for their foreheads and give them water. Go over to the right corner, we have rags and troth of water there. Also some water skins. Now go! Don't just stand there."

She waved him off and Vasin set off down one of the isles moving past the beds. Going to the right corner of the room he found the water troth as described. Some rags were hanging from the side with one end in the water and the other outside the troth. A touch showed they were cool to the touch. There were also some empty waterskins next to the troth with the rags. Grabbing a waterskin first Vasin would run it through the troth filling it before corking it. He would then take a few of the rags into his hand. They dripped as he lifted them up so he waited a moment wanted to not leave water on the floor. After that was done he turned around and started off down one of the lanes of beds. Coming to the first bed there was an only man who looked half awake. Upon seeing Vasin they grumbled something under their breath."I'm here to give you water and to replace that rag, sir."

Vasin informed him rather plainly as he came up next to the old patient and would remove the current rag and put a new cool one on his head."Thanks, the thing stopped working a few minutes ago. Can I get some of that water now?"

The old man asked straight to the point after Vasin would uncork the waterskin and give the man a drink. After they had gulped down some water Vasin would move onto the next bed. There he would do much the same except now for a child whose mother sat next to them a worried expression on their face. He replaced the rag on their head and gave them a drink of water. The child gave an appreciative nod obvious warn out from the ordeal. Though the mother spoke up instead."Thank you, kind sir... do you know when he will be better?"

Vasin would shake his head not knowing, as he was not actually a healer or a Doctor."Afraid not... when a Doctor comes by they should know."

Vasin moved onto the next doing much the same as the last two times. This one was a sailor who had obviously overworked himself under the sun. He gave them a cool rag and a sip of water. Though Vasin took to wiping the drinking surface down each time feeling it was cleaner. The sailor simply grumbled thanks to Vasin before Vasin would move on.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Vasin on June 26th, 2019, 10:51 am

Vasin went up to the line until he ran out of both rags and water. Heading back he dropped off some of the old rags putting them on the side of the troth. He then refilled the water skin and grabbed a few more wet clothes and going up to where he had left off. Giving out water and cool rags as he went along he noticed that as people left with a good bill of health, more people came in. No one was stopped at any point between entering and leaving. There was no exchange of money, which Vasin found a bit odd all considering. It couldn't really be free right? He was curious, so when he saw the Healer he had encountered at the start over by a patient he was approaching Vasin decided he would have a chat after he gave the next patient a new rag and a sip of water. "I was wondering, why does it look like no one pays for the treatment?"

Vasin's question gave the healer pause who looked then at him curiously and with some confusion."You seriously don't know? It's because the University Pays for it. The University funds the Center of Healing fully. Because of that no one who is a citizen or on a visa has to pay for healthcare in this city."

Vasin blinked, it was his turn to be a little bit surprised and confused."Do they pay for all of this? Just like that? Why would they do that? I thought they were just school."

The Healer shook her head with a somewhat curious smirk."They are much more than a school as you would call it. Politically they are very connected into all matters of Zeltiva. That is something you will find the longer you stay. They pay for the Center of Healing simply for the betterment Zeltiva. Plus, people like them more for it."

Vasin considered this for a moment. He had heard of Gangs giving out soup to the needy in sunberth, and the way she worded it sounded a lot like that."So this is politically motivated? Does that mean that the council has a lot to do with this place?"

The healer shook her head."Not that I know of. Though I'm sure there are members of the council that have an interest. There are also ancient families that put money towards funding us. Though I think I may have misrepresented our relationship to the university a little. You see we are an extension of the university, not separate from it in a traditional sense. They are very protective of the university, so I personally don't think their wishes for this place are selfish as you are implying."

Vasin scratched the back of his head."Sorry for implying... I'm just not used to such... kindness..."

The Healer considered what he said for a moment wondering about something obviously. Though, clearly, something was eating away at her at that moment as well. "Where are you from? You don't seem like a local? Also, I can't remember but did I ask your name before? Sorry, it's just really busy."

Vasin smirked a little though he thought he had given his name earlier. He could just be misremembering however, no harm and giving it out as many times as needed. "That's alright, my name is Vasin... as for where I am? Sunberth."

The Healer laughed a little though at the mention of Sunberth she seemed to give it some thought. "Well, that explains your view. But don't worry, stay around long enough and you won't be second guessing every person you meet soon enough... Though... Ah nevermind. Anyways, we still have a lot of people to help, so no more standing around and chatting. "

Vasin would give a nod having learned a couple of new things about the University and Zeltiva as a whole. Seemed that the people here regarded the University rather well. it was different, being in a city that thought well of it's learning institutions while in Sunberth the Library was pretty much unknown. This altruism as well was not something he was used to. Though, he wasn't sure if he completely trusted that idea. It could just be all big talk and pride. He shook the thought from his head and continued down the line. Vasin would find himself helping people by giving them water and cool rags well into the evening.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Ambrosia Alar on January 20th, 2020, 1:03 am

Grades!

Vasin

Skills
● Drinking +1
● Endurance +2
● Investigation +1
● Land Navigation +1
● Logic +1
● Medicine +2
● Observation +3
● Planning +1
● Rhetoric +1
● Socialization +1

Lores
● Planning: Going with the flow
● Location: Kelp Bar
● The Kelp Bar: Well known but not well regarded
● Zeltiva: Safer than Sunberth
● Rhetoric: Defending an old profession
● Leon Moorfel: Owner of the Kelp Bar
● Kelp Beer: Foul smelling and foul tasting
● Kelp Beer: Will day you out
● Location: Center of Healing
● Drinking: Knowing how quickly to drink certain drinks
● Medicine: Treat heat stroke patients with cool, wet rags and water
● The Healing Center: Doesn’t take money
● The University of Zeltiva: Funds things about the city
● The University of Zeltiva: Politically powerful

Comments

Vasin, I love how varied your writing is. Each thread seems to hold something new. Keep it up. If you feel I've missed something or if you would like lore rephrased, just send me a PM. Thanks for the read.
Ambrosia Alar
"The kid's got smiles for days."

Words: 242735
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Mentor (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Donor (1)