Closed Stray Dog Strut

Tythos ventures to the city for the first time. [Solstice]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Stray Dog Strut

Postby Tythos Everstorm on June 23rd, 2019, 11:05 pm

1st Day of Summer, 519 AV.

As the season changed, Tythos spent most of his time camped out by the bay. He made sure that everything about his camp encouraged visitors from the Processing Center to drop until access to the city was open. He grew fond of the little temporary tent tavern he operated. It was a social element that he enjoyed about cooking for people, but he was starting to miss being in a city proper.

The first moment the thought of going to the city entered his mind was good enough for him. He made sure to tell the morning crowed he'd not be there to cook meals in the morning just to avoid any awkward interactions in the morning.

He marked the first day of the season by awakening at first light. Not due to any internal clock, but mostly due to the fact that the inside of his tent was hotter than normal. It was not hot from the weather, even though the temperature was a bit hotter than the past spring mornings.

No, his temperature was increased by the heated dog breath hitting him repeatedly in the face. Bogdi, his large Falivan Elk Dog, had climbed into his tent to lay next to him sometime during the night. It was a rather amusing sight seeing the bulk isur and large dog huddled together in the one person tent.

Image“Bogdi…get out!” Tythos exclaimed as he ran a hand along the large dogs head. Bogdi put his olfactory skills to work as it sniffed the side of Ty's face before opening its eyes. They both seemed to yawn at the same time before Tythos literally lifted and put the dog out of the tent.

After slipping out of his tent, he began the quick process of breaking down his tent, and putting away his cooking pot and campfire tripod. As was his normal way of carrying things around, he tied his backpack and kit to the end of his rock crusher hammer; A massive hammer so big and so heavy that only the strongest of individuals can wield it and even then only with two hands, to turn the weapons staff into the handle of a makeshift bindle with his stuff hanging from the hammer like a bindle bag.

The weapon with the added bags made it obviously heavy to carry around. To less the strain, Tythos wore an open black gambson to use the padding of the armor to relieve a bit of pressure. He gripped the haft of his hammer, then lifted the rock crusher to rest over his left shoulder. It lessened the stain even further as he used his isurian arm to support most of the weight.

"Bogdi, to heel!" The Isur exclaimed sternly. It caused the Falivan to rush to its owners side from where it was assaulting a bit of shrubbery with its nose. "Come on boy, we've a city to see." He started to absently sing to himself as he ventured up the Sanikas Pass towards the Sanikas Road.

"I've dug a tunnel and climbed a hill,
swam an ocean and spun a wheel,
the only time I've lost a meal was when I had to eat six day old veal,
and when oh'when did my flagon run dry,
now I know I can fly through the sky...."

It was a small little rhyme that Tythos repeatedly sang to himself to pass the time. He didn't sing it well, but who was there to impress along the road other than Bogdi who wandered about ten feet ahead of him on the path.

By the time he stepped foot onto the Sanikas Road, Tythos's song was song between heavy breaths. The trek had turned from a normal stroll into a bodybuilding endeavor. A loaded weighted carry to build strength by hauling metal weight around over a long distance. This demanded that his posture be perfect, forcing himself to stand tall as his lower back was forced to bare most of the strain.

The further he walked the tighter his core burned to keep his proper posture. It was a full body workout that he could feel slowly grinding at the lat muscles in his back, hamstrings, and also in his shoulder and grip strength as he would shift the hammer to his opposite shoulder after every one hundred or so steps.

"I've dug a tunnel and climbed a hill,
swam ....an ocean and ....spun a wheel...."

The song he sung started to match the rattling of the pots clanging within his bag, aided by the drum beat of his heavy booted footfalls. Tythos kept no track of time along the way, he only knew the that he's sung the tune more times than he could count until the Sanikas Gate was right in front of him.

Tythos watched as Bogdi ran up the short steps to run off down the the darkened hallway with excited interest. He made his way up the steps where his night vision allowed him to spot the dog hind end turning down the hall.

The Isur walked with a clatter of pots until he found the dog standing half up on a stone bench annoying some old man who appeared to be sitting within an alcove at a stone table. His attention was momentarily drawn to a pot cooking over a light fire that appeared to be the old mans morning meal brewing.

"Bogdi, to heel. Leave the man to his meal in peace." His left arm wrapped around the haft of his weapon to securely hold it, leaving his right hand free to pat against his thigh. It was a simple command he used in attempt to beckon the dog back to his side after wiping away the sweat that had accumulated on his brow from the trip.
Tythos Everstorm
Weather the storm.

Words: 32577
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 8:49 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Stray Dog Strut

Postby Solstice on July 3rd, 2019, 5:33 pm

Much like a switch being flipped as the Wind Tower flares yellow, the first day of Summer was already sweltering. Many of the eagles had already began complaining about the heat, annoyed at their patrols and hunting schedules, and gossiped about the possibility of finding some way to dodge them. Val had been privy to all the gossip circulating through Wind Reach, mainly because Imsun found it great fun to share the information with him. There were some things that Imsun wouldn't tell Val of course; the Wind Eagles loved their secrets. But Val's time spent in the Gate house didn't seem quite so dull with Imsun chattering to him in the back of his mind. Whether it was books, eagle gossip, or conversation from traders or young Inarta hoping to learn a thing or two from an old and wizened Endal, Val rarely found himself bored.

As the heat rose in the afternoon, Val had sent to the Reimancers for some relief, and shortly afterwards he had been gifted with a slab of ice sitting on a large tray. The ice kept the room at a mostly comfortable level, and Val was cool enough to actually drink tea and prepare his meal; although he had been sure to keep the fire banked low and allow his lunch to cook slowly at a low temperature. As Val listened to Imsun chatter (apparently one of Astrid's granddaughters was courting a group of males?) and paged through a journal on a traveller from Syliras that he'd borrowed from the Enclave, he paused as he heard the sound of rapid footfalls echoing through the cavernous hallway. A moment later, a friendly, wet nose had been thrust into Val's hands.

"Hello," Val answered the dog mildly. He set his book aside, setting a scrap of paper between it's pages to mark his spot, then reached forward and rubbed the friendly creature behind its ears. As he did so, the Endal glanced around for the animal's master. The man wasn't far behind his dog, and his great booming voice echoed through the tunnels.

"Better do as he says, Bogdi," Val whispered to the dog conspiratorially. After the dog had returned to his master, Val favored the man with a smile.

"Welcome. It's always good to see Isur in Wind Reach. I'm Valtrrrik Imsun, the gatekeeper." Val regarded the newcomer with an evaluating but non-judgemental look. Even for an Isur, the man seemed exceptionally strong, if a touch weary and sweaty from travel.

"I take it you came from Thunder Bay?" Val said, a thoughtful finger reaching up to stroke his gray mustache. "Sit down for a spell. You look beat. Cool yourself next to the ice." Val gestured towards a stone seat that was positioned just in front of the ice block cooling the room. "Make yourself comfortable. And tell me what brings you to Wind Reach." Imsun's chatter faded away as he tapped into Val's head, quiet in anticipation. Imsun was just as interested in the stories of newcomers, if not more. The pair didn't get out much anymore.
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Words: 184384
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2018, 3:05 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Stray Dog Strut

Postby Tythos Everstorm on July 20th, 2019, 6:41 pm

No sooner had the large dog returned to Tythos’s side did the Isur allow the considerable heft of his hammer to fall towards the ground in a controlled decent. Tythos left the weapons and supplies where he stood in the main area before entering the alcove to take a seat at the table area.

Once he’d sat down, Tyythos pointed at the ground near his overstuffed backpack. “Bogdi, stay.” He commanded sternly to the Falivan Elk Dog. Bogdi responded by sitting down next to the back, but as Tythos continued to point his finger the dog lowered its head to lay their slightly prone. That was the reaction he was waiting for before turning his full attention to Val.

It was always difficult to judge just how old humans were since they aged so rapidly. The joke of life was that Tythos and and Val could have both been born near the same year since the Isur was around eighty one years in age.

“Greeting Valtrrrik Imsun. My name is Tythos from the family Everstorm of clan Coglias. I did make the journey up from Thunder Bay. However, I first arrived there sometime last season from Sunberth. The past seasons overflowing river kept me there. But, I decided to camp out by the Processing center for some few days longer.”

Tythos removed the padded armor he wore to leave himself shirtless. The cooling ice was proving to do his body good in the heat. "I'm here because I enjoy cooking, but I'm not the best at it yet. Unlike the static, repetitive, motions of weight lifting. I've found that I learn a lot about someone and their tastes when you share a meal together. If you need a shorter reason, then I'm here because of 'food wanderlust'."

He leaned in slightly towards Val before asking with an inquisitive tone. "I have a question, Gatekeeper. You wouldn't happen to know where I can get a job as a cook? Also a place to rent a room and a place one may freely practice wrestling. I enjoy cooking, but one needs other hobbies... or maybe I should ask about how to even get into the city to begin with."
Tythos Everstorm
Weather the storm.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Stray Dog Strut

Postby Solstice on July 25th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Val nodded thoughtfully and was quiet as Tythos introduced himself and explained his intent in the city. As he spoke, the elderly Endal continued to stir the pot at his feet, watching it closely to be sure that it didn't burn. The food cooking wasn't anything particularly special; just some grains gathered from the nearby peaks and some herbs and spices to give the food a pinch of flavor. The result was a grey, unappetizing, porridge-like substance. If Val had wanted, he could get something much nicer delivered from the Communal Kitchen: roasted meats and vegetables, perfectly seasoned. Perhaps even something cooked by Chef Davoid, the fiery and no-nonsense head of the kitchens. Endals, even elderly ones, received the best of the best. But Val preferred simplicity in general, and was happy to make his own, subpar meals. With age his ability to perceive flavor had faded. He liked simple, and asking Chef Davoid to give him simple was practically an insult.

The elderly Inarta raised a curious eyebrow at the Isur as the man finished his explanation. Val could hear Imsun chuckling in the corner of his head. It was hard to blame the Wind Eagle. When one thought of the Isur, 'cook' usually wasn't a profession associated with them. Val supposed there had to be cooks among the Isur somewhere, but perhaps they never left Sultros or cared enough to talk about their talents with an Endal gatekeeper. The Isur's comment about food had Val studying his own pot of food as he considered the man's questions.

"How familiar are you with Wind Reach's way of life?" The Endal queried. "The people of Wind Reach are given everything they need to survive in exchange for work and adhering to our caste system. Living spaces and food are among those amenities that everyone receives. Depending on your caste you have more mealtimes, or better food or better quarters." Val took a moment to stir the pot of grains, and examined the darkened grains rising from the bottom of the pot in the bottom of his wooden spoon before returning back to stirring. "If you wish to join the city then you'll need to talk to the Valintar. You can think of him as our leader. He'll assign you a caste and give you a job. Likely in the Communal kitchens if that's where your talent lies."

Val stroked his mustache once more as he examined Tythos. "If you have only marginal talent then you'll likely be put in the Chiet caste, at least until your talents improve," the man added. "They're the worksman class, and tend to do a little bit of everything." He chuckled slightly and heard Imsun chuckle as well in the corner of his mind. "As for wrestling, I'm sure you'll be able to find Inarta willing to spar with you at the Fighting Pits."
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Stray Dog Strut

Postby Tythos Everstorm on July 26th, 2019, 6:28 am

For all his personal interest in Cooking, Tythos never seemed to comprehend what the profession of being a chef really meant. But, his voice was clearly filled with exuberance at the prospect of it. His darkened chestnut colored eyes drifted from Val to the wooden spoon stirring the porridge.

"That does not look... appetizing. If you need it, I've some salt you can use if you need it." The Isur always carried the pouches of simple seasonings and salt that came with his chef's kit with for just these types of moments, then held the salt pouch out towards Val if needed.

"I assumed the Wind Reach way of life was similar to other humans lives, though with a heavy does of birds and volcanoes... Or rather, I believe your people are human? What deity is important to your people existence as a race? Like Izurdin is the father of Sultros? And if the Common language is not spoken here, then I will need to learn your native tongue. I assume the city has a library or place of learning for such things?"

Tythos also didn't really understand the concept of a caste system, but he compared it to the clans of Sultros where each group of people had their own traditional talents. "Worksmen drive industry. If that is where I must start, then I'll be happy do so." He'd found his roundabout way of connecting a hobby love of cooking to Izurdin, which made him smirk at his own thought.

"If only wrestling ability could make food taste better." He joked at the comment about his marginal cooking skill, then canted his chin upwards slightly in thought. "What caste title do you as Gatekeeper have the honor of holding? And since I need to see your Valintar to be given work, then I shall visit the Valintar-King of Wind Reach... where shall I find him?

Tythos had to glance back over his shoulder upon hearing an odd noise. Bogdi had wandered back over to his backpack out of canine boredom. He watched at the dog bit down on a javelin that protruded from his backpack, then started to run around with it in the main gate house area. The end of it tapped against the floor like a lost blind man trying to find their way.

"Bogdi!"

The command from the dogs owner made it stop suddenly, then look to stare at Tythos. The isur would then put the salt pouch away after Val's use or denial of it, then point at the ground. "Come. Here." The large dog was well trained enough to listen to those basic commands as it lumbered over towards Tythos with the javelin clutched in its maw.

Once Bogdi planted its hind end down close to where Tythos had pointed, Ty yanked the weapon free from the beasts jaw with his green isurian hand. "This is not a dog toy." He spoke in a deeply displeased tone while shaking the javelin. Tythos wasn't sure if the dog could understand him, but from the expressions Bogdi made he could tell the animal knew it was being scolded; or Ty was just anthropomorphizing his pet far too much.

"Now, Stay. Laydown." The dog laid down once more, only this time with its eyes locked on the Javalin that Tythos now laid across his lap. He turned to look back at Val with a slight awkward smirk. "I've a leash. I'll keep him reigned in before walking about the city. Don't need him running around getting into trouble once I do find some matches at the Fighting Pits. "
Tythos Everstorm
Weather the storm.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Stray Dog Strut

Postby Solstice on August 5th, 2019, 7:14 pm

The gaze that Val met Tythos with was a grateful but firm as he gave a quick shake of his head. "That's kind of you to offer," Val said. "But I prefer my food bland and flavorless. Comes with getting older. Live to an old enough age and I suppose even an Isur will understand." The elderly Inarta chuckled dryly and offered Tythos a smile.

"When I was young, I traveled to many of the cities across Mizahar," Val said. "And in that time I saw a great many different kinds of people and different ways of living. I would argue that no humans really live in precisely the same way, but I don't think there are any cities that come even close to the way of living that we have here in Wind Reach. We are humans, but we are also Inarta, and there is great meaning behind that." Val gave his meal a few more stirs, and even more brown bits began coming up off the bottom of the pot. The effect was beginning to give the porridge a more consistent color, grey flecked with brown. Val smiled at the look of the food and continued talking.

"We don't have a patron deity the way you Isur do. There are Gods we give homage to; Zulrav for his aid in protecting the skies for our eagles to fly, Rhaus for his gift of music and rhythm to keep us entertained during the long winter months, Laviku for the bounty he brings us from the fish and whales we catch to feed our people. But a primary God? No, the Inarta worship no Gods in particular." Val scooped a small portion of the grains into his spoon and brought it to his lips. He smiled at the flavor, then returned to stirring.

"In this city we speak Nari." The Endal repeated the phrase again, this time in his home tongue. "You will have to learn to speak it, and quickly. Common is not heard here nearly as often as other cities." He paused, and smiled at Tythos. "I can teach you Nari if you'd like. I'm well versed in many languages."

As Tythos moved on to ask about Val's caste, the elderly man smirked. "Ah, I am an Endal myself," he said pleasantly. "The highest of ranks. An eagle rider. I suppose my age makes me a bit of a special case. I can't fly patrols or hunts with my partner regularly anymore. Our bones and joints ache too much to keep us in the air for long. I was given this assignment as a reward for many long years of service. Imsun comes to visit me from time to time, but he's often up in his aerie as well."

"As for the Valintar, well...he is not difficult to find. If you head straight down the main tunnel into the interior of the city, you will find it very quickly. You'll know it when you see it, it's an impressive stained glass atrium. If you get lost, simply go to any Inarta you see and say this," Val cleared his throat and said clearly, slow syllable by slow syllable in Nari: 'Where do I go to meet the Valintar?'. Val rapidly changed back to Common. "Now repeat it back to me," Val added, and made sure that the Isur's pronunciation was adequate before continuing on.

"Someone should be able to help you." Of all strangers in the city, an Isur was the most likely to get a friendly response from the normally Xenophobic people. If Tythos had been any other race, Val would have asked Imsun to ask the other Wind Eagles to call an escort for him.

Val couldn't help but chuckle as Tythos' dog wandered off and began to play. "You'll have to take care with your friend there," Val said, an uncharacteristically serious expression falling on his face. "Wind Reach is a city of birds. Bogdi may not try to tangle with a Wind Eagle, but there are many smaller birds in the city as well. Crows, finches, falcons. If your friend tries to chase any of them, then the city will not be kind to him. Birds are sacred here. It is one of the worst crimes to harass, injure, or kill a bird. You will have to keep a close eye on your friend and make sure he does not get up to that type of mischief."
Solstice
The Sky Awaits

Office
Featured Contributor (1)