Open Don't back down (Job thread)

an attack that forces Dash to defend someone from his own kind

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Don't back down (Job thread)

Postby Dash on September 25th, 2019, 10:18 pm

4 Fall 519 AV

"I'll be changing so I can track faster if I catch a fresh scent. You'll need to work harder to keep up and just hold my things. I can't talk when I've shifted so you need to pay attention to see when I need your help." It was probably the most Dash ever said to a person in a full season but he knew Kitt was the best Dek they had.

The dark haired woman nodded quickly in obedience but swallowed nervously at the thought of spending a whole work day with him. The Inarta avoided him for his feral ways, rude silences and unusual behavior. But the poor Dek had no choice at the summons. Were she able to protest, she would have and she opened her mouth in a quietly garbled fricative of sound.

Dash was already a little more short tempered than usual after a nightmare last night and being overtired really didn't help his mood. The Avora's piercing yellow eyes turned dark as his pupils got larger and he worked hard to tamp down his rising temper. Even a shyke sucking Dek couldn't stand him! A stuttering mess that couldn't manage to string together two whole words in a row, was trying to reject his simple, reasonable orders and it galled badly.

Kitt's pervasive fear smell soured the air around her and she visibly trembled before the angry Red Wolf Kelvic.

"It is much better to walk alone in the right direction, rather than following the flock in the wrong direction."** he nearly growled at her, the pitch of his voice very low and rough. With great effort, Dash reined in his ferocity and made a strong attempt to get his point across to the mute but blatantly terrified woman.

"A Dek was killed in the kitchens yesterday for stealing food. Right now, every living Dek in sight is likely in for a solid death by beating from every Inarta but me." He paused on the last few words knowing that despite his exact coloration, they would never consider him one of them.
Exasperated, he finished his monologue in an unmistakable growl.

"Just for existing right now, as a Dek, there's a chance they'll kill you for breathing. I give you a choice. You are released to go back and wander til someone sees you or walk with me, and I will protect you. I give you my word, I won't let you come to harm under my watch today."

Disgusted with the unnecessary and ridiculous incident, he stalked off with long angry strides. Now he had to prepare for yet another morning of begging for a live body to just exist near him in order to hunt! Dash was done with words. They were petching useless.

The disgruntled Avora was far too enraged and disillusioned to even notice the sound of Kitt's bare feet scurrying quickly to follow behind him.

**quote used from FearlessMotivation.com**
Word Count: 485
Total: 485
Last edited by Dash on October 8th, 2019, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dash
Wolf Breath

Words: 50563
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Don't back down

Postby Dash on September 26th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Savage bursts of wind screamed across the exit of the Warrens and he stepped past it, heedless of his direction or physical presence. Angry thoughts both blinded and deafened him to what he would normally embrace with the enthusiasm of greeting an old friend.

Rain sizzled in heavy horizontal sheets of icy water while the air surged around him in harsh bursts of sound and movement.

"Hey are you the shyte licking Dek's sister from yesterday?" an angry voice suddenly yelled from somewhere behind Dash and he turned to listen to the outburst.

Kitt! Was she following him? Priskil dammnit!

Dash sprinted back to the entrance, plowing into the trio of bullying Chiets with all his pent up rage and teeth bared.

"She's MY DEK, back off!" Yellow eyes blazed fiercely, and his skin shimmered on the verge of a wolf shift. Faster than the average eye could follow, he put himself between Kitt and the trio. His hands clenched tightly at his sides and he struggled hard to keep on to his temper. Dash knew he could shift forms and kill them if he chose. Just because he could, it didn't mean he ever would.

"Why you want her ugly ass so bad? Is this bitch gonna warm your furs, dog? Is that the best you can get--a skanky ugly dumb bitc--"

Dash punched the loudest guy in the mouth. Just once. With an extreme show of self control, he turned his back on them. He grabbed Kitt's arm, nearly dragging her along beside him at a fast walk to get her away from the stupid troublemakers.

"I keep my word. They won't harm you."
Driving hard rain slashed at their faces and he continued to pull along the bedraggled woman till they reached the somewhat protective shelter of a large tree with low branches. With swift motions, he removed the pack from his back and shook out his sturdy Katinu to place it over Kitt's shoulders.

"Deks need better coats if they're expected to work well outside in this weather." He paused and looked at the shivering woman, her worried face and dark eyes eloquent with unspoken thoughts and feelings.

"My shirt's here in the pack too if you need to borrow it for now." Dash paused for a moment, a memory of past interactions surfacing. His expression closed down and his cheeks flushed red.

"If you don't mind smelling like wet dog, you can use the clothes. If you do, put them back in the pack. Take a chime to get your bearings." The last part was probably more talking to himself rather than advice to her and he looked down at the ground for a moment.

Her feet were so disgustingly filthy that even the driving rain was having a hard time cleaning the multiple layers of filth. After a few chimes, it revealed more. Infected blisters, scratches and bruises covered her feet like a pair of ill fitting shoes and it gave him pause.

"There's new boots in the pack you can use too, I only use them in snow. Again, if you don't mind the wet dog smell, that is..." His voice trailed off, still unsure. It was stupid that he had sturdy boots of good quality that he rarely used for a season and a half at most. She obviously needed a warm Katinu and boots and he didn't. Dash shrugged, not sure what else to do or say. Dek were still humans with needs and he was not. Nor would he ever be human.

Kitt gathered the heavy, beautifully crafted Katinu around her shoulders, her slim fingers trailing along the material with a soft touch. Digging through the pack, she crammed her feet in the boots so fast, she started falling over.

Dash whipped out a quick hand under her elbow to steady her and she jerked back in sharp fear, falling back heavily. Her dark eyes were pools of nerves, glued to his face for a clue to figure out what he would do.. to her. Her dirty little face was a picture of uncertainty, hunger and naked terror.

She looked like a bedraggled starving dog that had been beaten too many times to trust even a helpful touch anymore and he slowly withdrew his hand back to his side. Slowly, he shifted his weight to move sideways to her, squatted down to make himself smaller and faced another direction entirely. His position shielded her from the worst of the wind and he spoke quietly. He heard her standing up, but didn't look at her.

"There are two food rations in the pack as well if you're hungry. I don't need them."

Again, he was deeply ashamed and this time, even his ears turned red hot. He wasn't hunting enough if their best Dek was starving. As an Avora and a hunter, he wasn't providing enough. Kitt was evidence that he didn't hunt enough food for his pack if the best of her caste was in this much need. And was so damaged.

Dash tried to think of something to say while he heard her eating so fast he thought she'd choke for sure. Her fingers trembled over the dry tasteless rations like they were the finest gourmet meal life could offer.

"Drink from the water skin too so you don't choke. I'm gonna shift when you've finished eating. All you have to do is follow me while I try to track. I know you can track too, and you're good at it so if you see anything let me know. In the pack, there's a bar of soap that has a really strong scent. Throw it toward me to get my attention when you need to. You can keep it. I hate the smell and I'm never gonna use it."

As he finished speaking, the rain slacked off to bring some relief, thank Priskil!
The faint sound of her soaking hair slapping up and down in answer, let him know she'd nodded a yes. Dash glanced at her from beneath his lashes, careful to be as subtle as he could without moving to face her directly.

She'd smartly draped the quiver belt in a loop around her hair both to keep it close to her smaller arms and make it a roll band to stop the rain from dripping into her eyes.The boots were a little big but looked to make her very happy and she held the soap to her nose with a smile. Kitt showed that a quiet life was a smart one and he knew she'd be alright to continue.

*CS note, 2 rations & new katinu, given away.
Word Count: 1102
Total: 1587
Dash
Wolf Breath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Don't back down

Postby Dash on October 1st, 2019, 4:20 am

Disrobing quickly, Dash took wolf form and looked bursting with vitality. His ears forward with both tail and nose pointed sky high, he paused to take in the wind. The wolf jumped up playfully and tugged a single leaf off the tree above him, carrying it in his mouth like a great prize find. Dash sat back on his haunches, hopped up in the air and dropped the leaf at the highest point he could reach. With keen eyes, he watched it catch in the east to west wind and looked up at the direction the clouds were moving.

Kitt was in the process of putting his clothes in the backpack, folding them neatly and efficiently. Her hands moved with the ease of long practice, bespeaking years of hard work and endless motion She'd stopped shivering and watched the wolf with nervousness, but not the horrified terror of only a bell before. Her dark eyes paused over the leaf and she also took note of the direction. It was the most basic wilderness survival aid that even the youngest Yasi knew. Drop a leaf in the air to see if it catches the wind for more than two ticks. The highest clouds generally tend to move east west so it was a fair indicator of wind direction and speed. She nodded but watched the animal carefully.

With yelp bark of joy at his freedom of movement, he trotted into the forest to follow the breeze and scout for a scent. Kitt walked quietly behind him and he was glad she had a good step, unlike most noisy Dek who tried to scare away things from them in the forest. This would be a great day for hunting!

A rodent scent caught his attention and he tested the air to get a stronger hold on the direction. Everything was rain soaked so it made things more challenging. Dash liked that. A lot. The spotted raccoon leaped along the tree branches, just tantalizingly out of reach of his gaping jaws. The young wolf leaped and gave chase, following from the ground and face bashing into a few shrubs along the way.

He bark yelped to try and get the raccoon moving toward the farthest branch for his plan. If it was out far enough, he could shove his paws and weight against the skinny tree to knock it to the ground. It had worked before, so he was more than happy to try it again. Gotcha! It scurried to the end of the branch in a panic and Dash shoved both paws against the trunk of the tree, swaying it hard. With swift and savage glee, he sprinted for the spotted raccoon and gave it three swift shakes. The claws and teeth were flying so he shook it again and bit down harder. He felt the pulse stop and the life ebb away an---something smacked him HARD in the back of the head and he turned, growling and bloody-muzzled.

Kitt looked terrified as a very skinny, very hungry looking solid black wolf stalked toward her--and went for her throat!

Word Count: 517
Total: 2104
Dash
Wolf Breath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Don't back down

Postby Dash on October 8th, 2019, 3:44 am

Bloodshot orange eyes met unblinking yellow, the soap simultaneously catching the interest of both wolves. The huge black beast was thin with ribs stretched against ragged black fur and long yellowed fangs on full display. Desperately starving, it flattened its ears to its head. A low growl started from somewhere deep within, a rumbling chamber echoing its sound off the trees in a clear threat. The black wolf only had eyes for Dash now and this was no empty posture to stall a fight. It snapped its teeth with a sharp sound, all fangs at the ready. Only one of them would walk away alive. Or maybe they'd both die.

The red wolf's yellow eyes glowed brightly and the pupils nearly disappeared in their intensity. Large white teeth snapped three times in succession and he raised his ears dominantly forward and ready to fight. Dark auburn fur raised from the back of his neck to the tip of his sky high tail, making him look twice as large. Head raised, all four strong legs squared, Dash remained silent and rock steady. He knew he was younger, healthier, smarter and defending someone. Losing wasn't an option and if he didn't win this fight, he would at least die fighting. Dash would stand by his promise to Kitt, even if it meant his life. Besides, this was HIS territory. HIS people. HIS Wind Reach. They'd have to pry it from his cold dead paws to take it from him.

Kitt tried to scoot slowly backwards and the noise had both lupine heads turned on her. She froze, her mouth open in a quiet squeak of protest and the lean black wolf leaped for her with starvation driving every muscle and sinew to its utmost. The speed was astounding and for all its bones, it was fast with hunger.

Gaping yellow jaws met a mouthful of red fur and Dash took the full running impact of the dark animal. Mud and wet grass squelched beneath him as he hit the ground hard enough to shake the nearby trees. Swiftly he spared at look at Kitt,

"RUN" he thought at the Dek.

Using all his not inconsiderable weight, Dash rolled to his feet and shoulder checked the black wolf to spin it around and keep the focus solely on him alone. The black wolf didn't care what it ate today as long as it ate something, predator or prey. Faster than he could counter, the black wolf wrapped yellowed fangs around the furry red neck, spraying saliva down both their faces and growling savagely. Dash moved with the shove and passively ducked his head in an attempt to slip out of the death grip. He shook his head rapidly side to side and the black animal left him with a deep gash down the side. He pounced upwards, aiming for the dark grizzled face while snapping his own teeth across the black muzzle in instant retaliation.

Both wolves fought hard, bled and growled with tufts of black and rust fur falling to the mud unnoticed in a flurry of movement and rage. Already, the skinny black wolf was panting hard in an effort to keep up, his resources quickly used up. Dash didn't fare much better as he had no experience with fighting his own kind ever before. He could only go by instinct and he sorely lacked the endurance of an older, wiser, natural wolf.

The pause was only a chime as they stared each other down, the ebony animal standing far taller than the red one. It bled freely from its muzzle and was now missing an ear. The red might've bled from a neck and side wound but the color made injuries almost impossible to see. The rain started back up, pelting both of them as nature was the only witness to the wolves' normal fight for life.

In a whirl of black rage, the beast rushed forward and the red one met him with teeth fully extended, both their paws on each other shoulders like an elaborate dance in which only they knew the steps. Until more mud happened and Dash was pushed into the tree behind him. Relentless hunger ate at the black beast, desperate for a taste of blood and it wasn't going to stop now that it had prey in sight. It dove in for the kill, teeth ready to rend the vulnerable red stomach.

Word Count: 737
Total: 2841
Dash
Wolf Breath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes