Closed Skating in the City

Zach and Dev go skating.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Skating in the City

Postby Zach Grasswind on December 11th, 2019, 3:11 pm

22, Winter, 519

Snow fell in lazy spirals as Zach walked, delicate flakes of white drifting through the air in random patterns. It was some chimes after the noon rest, the afternoon sun reflecting brightly off the snow-covered skyglass. The Drykas was wandering somewhat aimlessly. He had made a quick and successful foray into the forest in the morning, and that left his afternoon wide open.

The fluffy snow was still somewhat of a novelty to Zach. The arid grasslands never used to get much of the stuff, definitely not on the level Lhavit was currently experiencing anyway. The hunter turned to make his way through the Surya Plaza, reaching to flick up the collar of his coat against the frigid air. Ahead of him he could hear sounds not unlike those you might hear at a festival. Laughter was punctuated by the chinking of cups, and there was the hum of constant chatter beneath it all.

As he stepped into the Plaza, Zach was greeting with a curious sight. A large area of the Plaza had been roped off and within the boundary people of all ages were gliding around on a shining surface. He squinted at it, eyes narrowed against the reflections being thrown off of it. Was that a sheet of ice? He had never seen so much of it before, and he certainly had never seen people running around on it quite like this. No, they weren’t running at all. Looking closer, he could see knife-like contraptions strapped to their shoes. The most proficient of the ice-runners sped across the ice in complicated loops, while others slowly inched themselves around the edges.

Around the ice firepits were burning, the scents of mulled wine and cocoa drifting through the air from those clustered around them. Zach took in the scenes before him, eyeing the ice warily before someone approached him, a pair of the knife-shoes in their hands.
“Want to skate?” The man pointed at the ice with the shoes. Zach smiled and shook his head. He wouldn’t even know how to stand upright on those things. He did however know someone he thought might very much want to try it.

He made his way through the groups of people, stopping to grab a couple of cups of mulled wine as he did so. Zach then headed for the bridge that led to the Shinimaya Peak, weaving around the steady streams of people heading in each direction. Soon enough, he stepped off the other end of the bridge and headed up the small rise to the Nine Lives.

Shouldering the door open, hands still wrapped around the still-steaming drinks, he ducked inside. The shop appeared empty without Ember in her usual spot, and he made his way over to the counter and placed the cups down, the smell of the mulled wine gradually filling the little space. Zach listened for a moment, trying to hear if Dev had a customer with her out in the back. Only when he was certain that she didn’t, he called out.

“Dev?” Zach kept his eyes on the doorway that separated her shop, waiting for her to appear. He would smile when she did, holding out one of the cups to her.
“Can I convince you to close early today?”
Last edited by Zach Grasswind on December 18th, 2019, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Words: 193110
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Skating in the City

Postby Dev'Ania on December 18th, 2019, 4:14 am

22 Winter, 519

Dev’Ania sat in the back of her small shop writing away in her notebook as she usually did with her free time. The room was encased in a cloud of smoke from a burning incense lit on the round table she sat at. The Seer looked down at the open notebook in the glowing candle light. The page was blank as she thought about what she was going to write. After a few ticks, she decided on just writing about her plans for the day and how she was feeling.

In reality, she had a pretty uneventful and boring day. The snowy weather slowed down business more than she thought it would. She could have closed the shop for the day, but she didn’t want someone to need a reading while she wasn't there, so she settled on staying at the shop all day. She arrived early after dawn rest and had been there since.

As for how she was feeling - she was content. Even after everything that had been occurring in the city for the past couple of seasons, things were beginning to calm down. The fortune-teller still had moments of sadness over losing her mentor, but in this moment she was neither deeply sad nor overly happy. She dipped her quill into the small vial of deep black ink and began to write.

Diary,
Today is proving to be a very quiet day. I guess everyone is just deciding on staying home and out of the snow, but I am still going to stay here all day. I hope Ember is warm and comfortable at home. I would hate for her or me to get sick. I don’t expect anyone to show up for a reading today, so this would be a great time to refine my skills and come up with new card spreads to do.

The Konti finished writing in the book. She wiped the excess ink off her quill and placed it between the pages of the notebook. She waved her hands over the pages to hasten the drying of the ink.

Dev’s ears caught the sound of the front door opening. ‘Perhaps she was wrong about no one leaving their house today,’ she thought to herself. She stood up out of her seat. Just as she stood up, she heard a familiar voice that always brightened her mood.

“Dev?” Zach called out her name from the front room. Dev’Ania appeared in the doorway to the front room, catching sight of the hunter. “Can I convince you to close early today?” He held out a cup of steaming liquid which she accepted.

“Actually, today is seeming to be a quite uneventful day, so sure! What do you have planned?” A smile spread wide across Dev’s face as the smell of the drink wafting into her nostrils. “This drink smells delicious! What is it,” she asked as she took a small sip of the liquid.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Words: 137250
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Skating in the City

Postby Zach Grasswind on December 23rd, 2019, 10:03 am

Zach’s smile widened, crinkling the edges of his eyes, as he caught sight of the pale blonde Konti stepping through the doorway from the back of the shop. She appeared to be as equally pleased to see him, and he watched her as she sniffed at the drink he had bought.
“…What do you have planned?”
Zach paused for a tick before grinning again. “It’s a surprise.” Truthfully, he wasn’t entirely sure what to call the activity, and figured it would be easier to just show Dev when they got there. The Drykas hoped it wouldn’t be a disappointing surpsise.

He joined her in sipping at the steaming drink, the dark liquid rich and sweet. “They said it’s called mulled wine.” He took another sip. It was like nothing he had drunk before, and a couple more tastes confirmed that he did, in fact, quite like it. “It’s good, right?”

The hunter swept his gaze around the room, ever curious about the trade Dev’Ania practiced. “Has anyone been in today at all? I would have thought this time of year would be popular for fortunes.” If he was going to have his fortune read, Zach would pick the Winter season. There were festivals aplenty where anything could happen, and the next year was on the not too distant horizon. He would never have thought himself one to believe in such things normally, but the more he got to know Dev, the more curious he had become.

“Are you ready to go?” Zach smiled at the Konti again, and would wait for her to gather her coat, or see to anything she needed to finish in the shop before holding the front door for her. He headed down the little slope back to the bridge, matching his pace to hers. As they walked, Zach debated on whether or not he should offer her his arm, but the mental conversation with himself went on for long enough that by the time he had decided it would be polite to, enough time had passed that he thought it would be awkward. He almost laughed at himself – since when had he ever been awkward around anyone?!

Thankfully, it didn’t take them too long to reach the Plaza, and as the pair approached Zach turned to Dev and swept an arm out at it. “Ta-dah! I think they call it skating.” He watched her for a reaction, hoping that she would be excited. “I don’t know how they got a sheet of ice this big here, crazy, right?”

He watched people zipping around on the special blades for a moment, letting Dev’Ania take in the sight for herself. His gaze then flicked to the people around the rink, looking for the man who had approached him earlier with the ‘skates’. Upon spotting him, Zach pointed him out before leading Dev over. The man helped the pair of them find skates to fit their feet and after he had managed to get his on, Zach stood up, wobbling on the razor-thin blades unsteadily.

He shot a glance at Dev, a wry smile on his mouth. This would either go surprisingly well, or rather disastrously. He half shuffled, half wobbled his way over to the edge of the ice sheet, and when the Konti had joined him, he would help her onto it and then join her, before attempting to copy those around him and skate.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Words: 193110
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Skating in the City

Postby Dev'Ania on December 29th, 2019, 3:13 am

“Mmm, mulled wine. It tastes delicious too!” The Konti licked the sweet liquid off her lips after taking another drink of it. “Oh, a surprise! Let me make sure everything is put up quickly and then I will be ready to leave.” She put the cup on the counter before walking back into the back room and blowing out all the candles and putting out the incense as she continued to converse with Zach. “Yeah I was thinking the same, but I guess everyone would rather stay warm than seeing what their future has in store,” she chuckled. “At least I get to spend a nice day with you!” Dev exited the small, dark room and returned to behind the counter. From underneath it, she pulled out a neatly folded cloak. She unfolded the cloak and wrapped it around her shoulders.

“I’m all set!” Dev’Ania exited the shop and waited for Zach to exit after her and close the shop’s door. The sky was full of gently falling flakes of snow that covered the ground in a very thin sheet. As the pair walked across the bridge onto the other peak, Dev’Ania stayed close to the hunter’s side. Just being near him made her stomach feel like it was full of butterflies. Thankfully the cold weather was a good excuse for her blushing face. The stroll to Dev’s surprise seemed to be a quick one because of the subtle awkwardness between the two.

A smile spread wide across the Konti’s face as Zach presented the “surprise” to her. “Skating?” Dev asked with a giggle, “This looks fun! Thanks, Zach, for bringing me here.” Dev hugged the hunter tight. She let go suddenly with a clearing of her throat and patted down her clothing. She approached the skating area and watched as people dashed by on the bladed shoes. She saw them on her way to the shop this morning but didn’t pay close attention to see what it was they were doing.

Her eyes followed the swishing motion of their feet as they moved on the skates. After observing the others for a chime, Dev’Ania followed Zach to get their own pair of the skates. With the help of Zach, Dev wobbled onto the sheet of ice. Surprisingly it wasn’t too difficult for her to balance herself of the thin blades underneath the shoes. She stood in one spot holding out her hands to keep her balance. She thought she was ready and tried to push off as she saw another person do. As she pushed off with one of her legs, she became unsteady and fell to the ground.

The Konti looked at Zach and began to laugh at her mistake. “I’d say I am on my way to being a master at this!”
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Words: 137250
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes