Completed Sand Here, Sand There, Sand Everywhere

Syka Tour and Work Orientation

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Sand Here, Sand There, Sand Everywhere

Postby Selene Curare on May 17th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Spring 62nd 520 AV

The morning light filtered through the umbrella of leaves above the bungalow. The air was sweltering and sticky making Selene moan in discomfort. Pelly shoved her, “Sh.” She demanded. The curly haired blond was still asleep from the late night prior and didn’t want to be disturbed. Selene closed her eyes trying to get a few more chimes of sleep before she sighed, resigned to an early morning. Rising from the sweat soaked bed she moved towards the other room, sparing a glance for the two motionless forms in her bed.

Pelly was curled around her son, both chests rising gently in slumber. If only she had been that still all night, Selene complained remembering the fitful slumber of the Svefra that had disrupted her own sleep. Their skin and hair were wet with humidity’s dew and all their aerobatics last night, Selene thought as she dragged her feet into the living room. Her long black nails scratched against the hardwood making low sawing noises, Not as loud as she saws all night.

Selene was cranky. The night had been long, everyone had left angry and sick when her ill-cooked food had given everyone food-poisoning. Worst of all, the stress of the failure and hormones had gotten the best of her and she’d ended up a sniveling snot nosed beast in the arms of Pelly – admitting the truth behind her pregnancy and her likely doom in a few moon’s time. I’m sure she’ll be awful embarrassed when she wakes up, I’ll have to give her an out so she doesn’t feel obligated to make good on a drunk promise, Selene decided as she rustled up some fruit, too proud to admit how desperately she hoped the Svefran woman would remain in Syka with her.

Selene pierced the yellow shell of the banana and let her venom dribble down the inside of the thick exterior and begin degrading the soft interior. Leaving it on the counter to prepare itself for breakfast the light shadow of a woman slipped into her usual loose gown, tucked her hair into a chignon before wrapping her scarf around her head and over her shoulders to protect the fragile skin that had been wounded by the sun the day before. She belted the pouches to her hips where it loosely gathered the dress to her flesh. Her stump made a clicking on the ground as she moved as quietly as she could through the home, hoping to avoid waking the two sleeping figures.

Once she had applied the kohl along her top lid and spiced her lips with the daily red stain she retrieved the banana. Turning it upside down she pinched the puckered flesh until they cracked open slightly and she threw her head back tipping the soupy contents into her mouth. She ran her fingers, pinching the walls together to push every last sugary drop into her mouth. It wasn’t as satisfying as flesh, but was a sufficiently sustaining breakfast.

Eventually I’m going to have to join the humans hunting… She thought forlornly, worried the hunt would highlight their differences and drive a wedge deeper between the Sykans and the outsider. She dwelt on the concern as she made her way toward the Mercantile. It had been pointed out to her the previous day while arranging the bungalow rental, and was where she’d been instructed to meet James’s daughter, Juli, to arrange the specifics of her job. If James is right, though I have my reservations, It’s not my race that’s so entirely off-putting, but my apparent uselessness as a disabled pregnant infamously frail creature. So while hunting for my daughters new mother, I need to make myself as useful and self-sustainable as possible. I suppose that would mean contributing at least as much food as I require to the settlement. I just hope James is right and hunting with the others doesn’t make the situation worse. She fretted.

She was consumed with her thoughts as the Mercantile came into view. The structure was like an awkward long-legged creature perched on the sand on long posts. It covered itself with thatched roofing and hovered protectively over a couple unrecognizable individuals sucking eagerly on pipes beneath it. Selene’s imagination painted The Mercantile as a huge Blue Crane perched on top of eggs as it surveyed Syka.

“You’re Selene right?” One of them, identity shaded, asked between puffs. It was a rhetorical question, since a simple description of her clawed hands, pregnancy, or stump would be sufficient to identify her in the small colonization. Selene nodded regardless, and stepped out of the sun. Her eyes relaxed gleefully once she was out of the sun and its almost painful brightness on her sensitive eyes. She looked back and forth between the two female forms eyeing her.

The taller of the two women wore kohl almost as heavy as Selene, but it was applied with an artistic hand able to create an exotic curled wing tip at the outer edge of each eye. Her hair was a tussled bird nest of chestnut hair making her look as chaotic as the other looked controlled. She wore large glittering jewelry on her fingers, wrists, and around her neck making her the most adorned woman Selene had seen in Syka thus far.

It was the smile that Selene recognized, the asymmetrical curl of the lip. “Oh hello, I saw you at the barbeque last night,” Selene acknowledged. The woman wore a bikini with sheer fabric and clinking metal discs that danced with each hip dip she made while shifting her weight.

“Yes, I’m Rainmere. Rainmere Shantu, local seamstress and firedancer, as you witnessed last night. Although I’m not sure dancing was what those stomachs really needed last night,” She laughed twirling a strand of hair with her finger.

The two women laughed as hard as Selene flushed. “Don’t worry about it, everyone will forget soon enough. But maybe stay away from the kitchen for a bit boo,” She added, “Dahling, I’ll see you soon,” She kissed her fingers and bat them at Juli, “And my dear boo, I heard you’re to be the local weaver now. I hope you’ll slip on down to see me some time, I could use some delicate hands to help sew beachwear when you’re not busy. Besides, a Symenestran dancing partner! I’ve seen a show once and it was logic defying. I’d love to see another one in action close up!” Her voice was a wobbling dance all on its own and she was throwing words over her shoulder even as she left as if determined to have the last word. She was out of easy earshot before she finished speaking and the rest of her words faded in the distance between them not allowing Selene to correct the misconception.

Selene turned back to the woman Rainmere had indicated was Juli.

Word Count: 1,145
**Template credit to Lumi**
Last edited by Selene Curare on May 30th, 2020, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selene Curare
Player

Words: 55555
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2020, 12:05 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Selene Curare on May 19th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Spring 62nd 520 AV

Juli was a bejeweled salamander of a creature. She had the thinly muscled, covertly graceful, dazzlingly threatening appearance of a cave creature. Her dark brunette hair was parted down the center and tucked behind her ears. Her wide blue eyes levelled Selene the same way James had, it was the friendly evaluating gaze of a leader who knew their opinion mattered, an opinion earned rather than a self-important inherited importance. She didn’t look smug or arrogant, but held herself with calm self-importance and Selene smiled to herself, Like father, like daughter. It had been said enough about her and her father.

“Take a seat,” Juli offered one of the boulders the two women had been leaning against, “I’m Juli obviously, dad said you’d come by this morning so we can talk about weaving and if you’re up for it I can give you a tour. Can you get around alright?” She asked evenly, glancing at Selene’s stomach and leg. She hasn’t made her mind up about me, or she’s like Tony and better at remaining politically neutral. Selene considered. The smile Rainmere had put on her face from the dancers boisterous and obvious warmth was replaced by a serious thin lip.

“I’d prefer to stand. I’m fine to get around, although the sand slows me down.” Selene replied stubbornly. Dern, I would have preferred to stay out of the sun Selene grumbled glancing distastefully at the burning sand beyond the protected patch they were in at the moment. Everyone else seemed struck indolent and deliriously content by the heat, but it would take Selene time to appreciate the heat.

Juli’s eyebrows raised slightly in response, but she also seemed pleased and nodded, “I always appreciate when given a chance to tour a newcomer about. Everyone comes with such a unique and exciting story.” Selene winged, hoping the tour wouldn’t turn into a walking interrogation. “Yet despite all their adventure they are ubiquitously impressed with Syka.” Juli added proudly.

“Shall we begin?” Selene gestured towards the sun soaked beach, cutting the sharpness of the question with a pleasant small smile that hid her fangs.
“Let’s,” Juli nodded, the sun making her hair shine healthily. Selene followed Juli into the sunny path she had followed between home and the shop. She lumbered, As clumsy as a human, She thought sourly, her mood turned by the heat of the sun and her hormones.

Juli strode the few chimes to the commons in silence, Selene at her hip. As they approached Juli glanced at the Sym through half-lidded eyes, “Your hair is done so nicely, do you always so it up?”

Selene nodded, “Yes, I’m usually bent over a loom so I got used to pinning it out of the way. Now, it seems rather bothersome to have it falling in my face all the time. Although, my friends say it makes me look too severe.”

Juli nodded, “Yeah, it does,” she tucked a fallen strand of hair behind her ear. Selene scowled at the back of her head, Bitch, she was already growing annoyed with the tour guide she would be spending the day with. However, when the dark haired beauty turned back to wink at her, she was suddenly ashamed. Don’t be so set on seeing the worst in everyone Selene, she’s just teasing you. Loosen up.

Taking her broad-brimmed hat off Selene undid the chignon and flicked her hair free. Her hair fell, crinkled from the chignon, down to the small of her back and over her shoulders. “Better?”

“Much!” Juli nodded enthusiastically and the two exchanged a wry look. She’s a cleverer, more beautiful, more independent version of Pelly. The thought filled her with instant shame. Pelly had been a loyal friend, patient mother, and Selene often felt underserving of her sacrifices. Here I am, comparing Pelly, a dear friend, against someone I’ve known for a few chimes. Mind your manners and your mind Selene. She lectured herself.

“Syka is sprawling, since the first settlers here were given free land in exchange for the risk they took, everything has been built around the pieces of promised land. We’ll grow into ourselves, Dad says.” She explained as they walked among the posts holding the common meeting grounds above them and scaled the stairs. Selene leaned against the railing as she eased her large stomach and wooden prosthetic up the steep staircase.

“This is an area called the commons. It was built when the founders realized how difficult it was for people to gather together and socialize in such a sprawling place. We used to gather on the beach, but well…” she gestured at the sky, “sometimes it feels like Syna never sleeps here.” Selene looked around, feeling a little like an awkward monkey up in the trees like this. The area had a roofed portion and an open portion with several assorted chairs, tables, and people doing various recognizable and unrecognizable tasks.

“Most everything happens here. We naturally spend a lot of time apart by the necessity of surviving here so lots of people like to work on personal projects here for some much needed socializing. It’ll be a great place for you to weave, or get to know your fellow Sykans.” Juli gestured as they walked along the sun warmed boards. Her voice and hands moved with the wrote laziness of an experienced tour guide.

“Are there any other weavers?”

“Not solely, Tony does some weaving of the Isuas cotton but most of his time is spent gardening and cultivating that plants. I’m sure he’ll be eager to have a hand catching up on everything he’s cultivated.” Selene choked back a laugh, Oh yes, I’m sure he’ll be thrilled she thought sarcastically recalling her first interaction with the man. Juli caught the snort, and threw the Sym a curious look. When her questioning glance was met with silence she continued.

“Isuas is Syka’s textile export, it’s notoriously strong and dyes vibrantly, but Tony is so busy we never export as much fabric as we can cultivate. Although, given how many new discoveries are made every season I’m sure there’s plenty of materials as promising as Isuas out there somewhere.” She looked greedily into the jungle. The resources in Syka were limitless and Selene, who usually endeavoured not to think beyond finding a safe haven for her child, couldn’t help but quiver with the anticipation of the discoveries to be made. You can’t think like that, you can’t let it distract you. This isn’t your future to wonder at, the only thing you get to worry about is making sure she has a home after.

Word Count: 1,104
Selene Curare
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Selene Curare on May 30th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Spring 62nd 520 AV

They walked the perimeter, Selene watching the ground careful not to catch her leg in any of the wooden ridges. “We don’t have a way to preserve food yet, fortunately it’s very abundant so it’s easy enough to get your own. But, if anyone goes on a hunt or catches more than they can eat it can be brought here to be shared as well.” Selene nodded, although the sharing of food meant little to her with her dietary restrictions. Anything she shared from here she’d still have to prepare for herself regardless. Besides, after last night she wasn’t sure anyone would want to be sharing her prepared meals either.

Next, they moved around the buildings tucked into trees with Juli pointing out the various buildings. “That there is the communal forge, it doesn’t have a lot of supplies – bare bones. But, it has enough to get by. We don’t have a blacksmith here right now – we’ve tried to bring a couple but living in Syka isn’t for everyone. So, for now, people make their own supplies or we important the goods. You can use the tools and the forge, but you’ll have to pay for the fuel and any consumables. Mostly people make nails and fish hooks and so on. Have you ever done any blacksmithing?”

“No, we’re a little too delicate to do much blacksmithing – the impact of the hammer would probably break my bones”…Nope, I can’t say that. The issue is already my uselessness… “I haven’t had the delight,” Selene reprised.

“That’s too bad,” Juli shrugged though as if she didn’t really believe what she was saying. “Artik Gulfwave here runs the forge.” She gestured to the broad meaty blond hunched over an empty bench with a glass in his fingers. “He’s not the friendliest sober – but in true Svefra style he’s quite the drinker, storyteller and fisher. I’ve heard from more than a few ladies he’s a fun time if you’re feeling lonely. I don’t think he’d shy away from you just because you’re pregnant,” Juli informed her crudely making Selene cringe.

“Are you joking?” She broached,

“No not at all! He doesn’t seem to discriminate and –“ Juli halted and glanced over her shoulder at Selene, noting her disapproving stare. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend. Artik is just a bit of a joke to the women around here, but we all keep going to him anyway.” She shrugged shamelessly. Well...that was unexpected…I guess every community has one…

“Sure, back home, there’s a guy like that.” Selene thought, taking Stu’s advice from the previous night.

“We all knock him, and yet still let him knock us,” She winked and was grateful to see the woman have to cover her face to keep from laughing hysterically. Viratas…she’s beautiful! Selene though as the thin cheeked woman continued to guffaw.

“Here I thought I’d offended your sensibilities. You’ll fit in well here Selene Oceangem.” Petch…it’s already caught on…I’ll definitely have to talk to Pelly tonight, Selene cursed to herself.

The next building looked much more permanent and more delicately than any of the other structures they’d come across. It had several wood stoves and a variety of utensils, pots, grills and other devices.

“It’s beautiful, what’s this floor made of? Why is it so gorgeous?” Selene asked, the first floor that wasn’t made of dirt, sand or wood. The floor was made of white fractured pieces of some substance, and what Juli said was a communal garden run by local volunteers. Selene gazed around herself at the stone walls that reminded her of home. My favourite building, it’s like a warm cave.

“Well, wood is flammable so time was taken to make the kitchen as safe as possible. The floor is made of oyster shells so it can be swept more easily. Wooden planks can hold food between them to attract pests and the like. You’re welcome to cook here…wait…I heard about last night…maybe you shouldn’t cook here,” Juli teased, “but there are vegetables being tended to here by anyone and you’re welcome to help yourself. You just have to help tend, weed, water, and trim anything else here. Actually, as a weaver you could help make more raised garden beds. We always encourage people to make things for the community before they make things for themselves. Making garden beds for Syka, rather than your own home. That sort of thing.” Juli explained, “We all benefit more if we use our expertise to help each other rather than everyone having to be a jack or jill of all trades. Doesn’t that make sense?”

Word Count: 765
Selene Curare
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Selene Curare on May 30th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Spring 62nd 520 AV

“Actually, yes it does. Life here looks raw and rough, with no amenities. It would be too hard to make it here on your own. I think I’m starting to understand how important community really is here,” Selene nodded, gazing at the kitchen. “I mean, I imagine it was so expensive to import or make all these cooking implements and mining all this stone, construction, carpentry, cutting wood, finding the vegetables in the jungle and learning what’s edible. I can’t imagine having to make one of these in every individuals home.” Selene felt awakened to the difficulties of the Sykan way of life and understood Tony’s anger and anxiety at her presence.

“Yeah, so far we’ve protected everyone and kept them alive. But, it’s a hard life without a lot of the things people normally take for granted. But, we have sun and water and the energy here is different from any other city you could be in. It’s relaxed, wild, and wholesome.” Juli spoke of Syka like a lover and Selene softened from her earlier grumpiness as they wandered away from the kitchens to the next building.

“Over there is the drinking water. It rains incessantly in the spring but rarely in the summer. We collect water off all the houses roofs when it rains and store it in barrels for the community to use. You can keep one or two barrels of water from your roof at your home but the rest are brought here to be used by the community. Wasting water is unacceptable, so please don’t use it without regard. It’s only for drinking and some cooking, you should be able to wash in the ocean and non-potable water.” She gestured to the stacked barrels before they approached a small structure that Selene wouldn’t have noticed if Juli hadn’t pointed it out.

“Those are the kilns, you can fire ceramics or glass there. There are tools, clay, and potters wheels located there and as usual any perishables you must pay for. The community events center has locked, but can be unlocked by Nesra Arlea, Syka’s potter. She’s from Syliras and brought a lot of expertise from there. I know her quite well since she supplies the Mercantile with most of its pottery, and she’s a very warm intelligent girl.”

“Maybe we could have a girl’s day sometime and invite her? Drinks, swimming….dancing?” Selene broached as they wandered away from the kilns.

“Delightful, I’m always in for a swim. Especially if it’s a fun bunch of women. What about tomorrow? I’ll invite Rainmere, Nesra and Uta and you can bring that gorgeous blond friend of yours, Pelican is it?”

“Pelly? Yeah, she’ll probably enjoy a day away from her son with the girls. Who is Uta?” Selene gushed gleefully. It was easier than I thought to make friends here She exhaled with relief and Juli grinned at her.

“Inspired, it’ll do you well to get to know everyone and settle in before you get inundated with work anyway. We’ve been aching for a competent weaver! Uta is the local naturalist, she harvests the herbs and plant-life we use for medicines, bug repellant, sunscreen, and anything else we need.”

“Oh yeah, I was told you’d tell me what you needed me to work on.”

“Yes, well anything someone requests that’s for communal use you can go ahead and work on. Just keep track of it so we can charge anyone who abuses it. Otherwise, we desperately need Isuas fabric since Tony struggles to keep up with the cultivation and actual processing of the fibres. Besides that, burlap bags for our food staples, blankets, ropes and baskets. We’d also really love if we could have some woven furniture. Right now a lot of them are quite heavy wooden constructs and some fabric or reed woven pieces would be easier to move around and use less expensive material,”

“That sounds well within my skillset. I can certainly weave fabric, baskets, ropes, blankets, and bags. The furniture will need some trial and error. But, the basics of the others shouldn’t be hard.” Selene promised, trying to sound optimistic and useful. She had experience weaving ropes and baskets in Kalinor and wasn’t daunted by these requests. However, while she had learned the main fabric weaves she knew she was very slow compared to her fellow Sym’s.

The two enjoyed the rest of the day exploring the cobbled pathways and exploring Syka’s beach long after the tour had ended. The sun was beginning to set when Juli called it a night, and the two hugged farewell. Selene made her way back to the bungalow, and as she entered the house she smelled the classic spicyness of Pellys cooking.

“You didn’t think you should come by for dinner?” Pelly frowned at Selene, having just burped Crane after his dinner and settling him down for a nap.

“Oh, I was getting a tour of Syka and getting information about my work. What did you make?” Selene explained, wandering over to the pot and inhaling the spicy smelling soup.

“And your tour and orientation took all day? You left me here with a party to clean up while taking care of Crane? After last night of all nights?” Pelly scolded quietly. Oh crap…

“Oh…I’m sorry. Juli and I got caught up…[/i] Pelly was frowning deeper as she explained and Selene quickly stopped, gathering that a more in-depth conversation wasn’t going to get her back in Pelly’s good graces.

“I’m sorry, I should have come back earlier to clean up and check on you.”

“Yeah. You should have.” Pelly left the room to tuck Crane into bed and when she didn’t emerge Selene assumed she had retired to sleep as well. Peeking into the room she saw the blondes tangled up with each other and settled down to eat alone.

Damn…I don’t deserve a friend like that She thought as she sipped the spicy soup.

I don’t deserve a friend like that Pelly was thinking as she tried to sleep, her body aching from the effort of cleaning vomit, making food, collecting firewood, and acting as a buffet to a living creature in the hot sun.

Word Count: 1,029
Selene Curare
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets