[Surya Plaza] Nightlife (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Tao on January 13th, 2011, 4:34 am

Late Evening, 55th Winter, 510

Thread: Open

It was later than he usually stayed out. He felt a little guilty about it, deep in the back of his thoughts, because he did have work tomorrow, and the quality of his work had been slipping lately. The first half of his winter had been so quiet and uneventful, and now everything was happening at once. It gave him a lot to think about, and kept him awake much later than he liked.

So, over the last week, he had taken to going for a walk after work and he had eaten, exploring the nooks and crannys of Lhavit that he didn't have quite memorised and trying to exercise away the extra tension. It was much easier than actually dealing with the issues at hand, and he was slightly optimistic that if he kept it up, he could add some muscle to his frame and he wouldn't be quite so skinny.

He was heading in the direction of Surya Plaza for no real reason, stepping in time to the pulse and ebb of the glow of the buildings of the city. He remembered asking someone if Lhavit had a heartbeat on one of his first few nights in the city. They had laughed at him, but he still wasn't unconvinced.

Even though it was getting late, even for the Lhavitians, he was sure that the Plaza would still be crowded. Who knew who would be around at this time of night? (Hopefully no one dangerous, he added silently.) Sometimes there was music and dancers, and this late, vendors would be practically giving away their wares so they could begin cooking for the next evening. While he never jumped in and participated, it was still entertaining to see.

And the gods knew, he needed the distraction. A little out of breath, Tao slowed down as he approached the Plaza, smiling to hear the faint sound of music.

Last edited by Tao on February 7th, 2011, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tao
Indesicive Stargazer

Words: 114213
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2010, 4:15 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayven Aracev on January 13th, 2011, 5:57 am

Kayven smiled as the booming nightlife of Lhavit flowed around and over him. He had spent the last three days simply settling in, taking stock of his surroundings. He did this mostly at night, when the shadows were deepest. To his dismay, it was never truly dark in Lhavit, for the buildings themselves were ornate sources of luminescence. While it did wonders for the city’s innate beauty, it was a nightmare for anyone who did not wish to be seen, which was perhaps the point. But wherever there was light, there must be shadow, and it was to these places that Kayven clung, watching; waiting for the right opportunity to present itself.

He had yet to connect to many humans here, which would be essential to his plan. Kayven knew he would never gain admittance to the Dawn Tower on his wit and merit alone without some filthy, petching human to vouch for him. To be fair, he couldn’t say that he blamed the humans for their suspicion given his race’s reputation. This was Kayven’s other dilemma. As the eldest, and as far as he knew, only, child of the Aracev Web, he was obligated to perform the harvest which he had neglected for the past seven years. Although actively harvesting women would directly undermine Kayven’s efforts here, there was nothing stopping him from seeking out viable candidates for when he left. He did have an impeccable memory, and time spent in the city would only make the residents that much more trusting and vulnerable.

Making his way to the heart of the Suryan Plaza, Kayven kept his cowl drawn, the eerie light cast by the buildings giving his lower facial area an eerie array of shadows that shifted as he moved. But here, amidst the throngs of filthy humanity, was no place for a hunter. He needed vantage, height. He needed to climb. He spotted a likely alley way up ahead and ducked into it, his lithe figure twisting as needed to stick to the shadows. It was times like these where Kayven was glad he chose to go barefoot, rather than fumbling around with pesky shoes. The cold stones felt smooth beneath his calloused soles as he pressed himself face-first against one building, the tiny hooks in his hands and feet easily finding holds in the stone.

Kayven ascended carefully, staying away from the street-side of the building where the lights were brightest, and keeping to the bottom of balconies when they were encountered. His was truly a race bred for hunting, how could any deny that in the face of such a remarkable ability? Once he was several stories above the street level, Kayven began making his way once more towards the plaza, until he could look out on the throngs of humanity milling about aimlessly. They shopped and gawked and conversed while Kayven stalked above them, pressing himself into a shadowy crevasse between buildings to observe.

It was late, even for the lively folk of Lhavit, and pickings appeared to be slim. Older parents meandered with children on their backs. Too difficult a target, families, as humans tended to notice when their mate suddenly vanished. The elderly were, often as not, unfit for childbirth even if they were still fertile. Of course, bearing a Symenestra child, the health of the mother was hardly a consideration. Kayven sighed, despairing of finding a suitable mark tonight when he caught a glimpse of a figure dressed in flowing robes that slightly concealed their body, but what Kayven could pick out was decidedly feminine. Dark haired, the female seemed to be only vaguely interested in the shopping and general tourism to be had, standing back from the crowd rather than leaping in. Isolated and probably local. She would make a good contact for Kayven initially. If he could impress her enough, she may be his ticket into the Dawn tower. And perhaps, if she was suitable, she would be accompanying Kayven upon his departure from Lhavit, whether she wanted to or not.

Carefully inverting himself within the crevasse, Kayven carefully picked his way back down to street level, pausing a moment to collect himself. His face-obscuring cowl he left up, in the hopes of imparting some mystery upon the woman, who was likely unused to interacting directly with foreigners. Sliding out of the alley-way, Kayven kept his golden irises locked on the woman as she milled about, doing his best to stay out of her line of sight. As he drew nearer, the Widower got the vague sense that something was…not quite right exactly, but he pressed on, undaunted. Drawing lithely up beside the woman, Kayven offered a close-lipped smile. “Good evening, milady. I could not help but notice that you are without company tonight, a grave tragedy if I ever saw one,” his voice was sympathetic with just a touch of melancholy. “My name is Kayven Aracev,” the Widower continued, “and I would be quite honored to receive the gift of your company, as I myself am also alone this night. Might I inquire, as to your name? You can trust me.” Kayven added just a touch of his personal Djed to that last statement, a touch of Hypnosis that would hopefully catch the woman off guard and find her more susceptible to Kayven’s more…visceral charms.
Kayven Aracev
Player

Words: 16404
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Tao on January 13th, 2011, 8:54 am

Gods, the people here are so lively.

Upon his arrival to the plaza, Tao's eyebrows had shot up in surprise at the amount of people still milling around, particularly the children running rings around their parents. They would all be exhausted come morning, when they had to trudge off for their lessons. He didn't envy the teachers who would be dealing with them.

Trying not to fuss with his robe too much, he found himself a place by the musicians that were still playing, the soft harmonies of the different instruments combining to become a soft melody, background noise to the hubbub of the night. He had never much been a fan of music before coming to Lhavit, but it was so much more common and gentle that it washed over him day after day until he found himself tapping his foot with the rhythm and humming a song long after he had gone home.

It was also the most easy way to be social that Tao had ever seen; no one cared who you were when you were listening to music together. You were together, and there was music, and that was all there was to it. Tonight was different to a concert or a festival in that he was the only one giving them his full attention. The rest of Lhavit was doing what they always did in the night: thriving.

He had used to watch the people moving around the Plaza, listening to snippets of their words to work on his language skills, trying to determine any local customs that it would not be wise to violate, and learning how to pick out potential dangers from the people. Not everyone had good intentions, even in a scholarly city like Lhavit, and he had no intention of being robbed. But it had been months since he had first arrived here, and he knew how to handle himself now. Even if he rarely put the knowledge to good use.

To his dismay, the musicians soon finished what seemed to be their last song before beginning to pack up their instruments. That was a sign, if nothing else, that it was getting a little too late to be out. He would have turned and started his walk back home then if he wasn't very determined to ignore his problems for as long as possible. Even if that meant he was out with no money and nothing to do.

Keeping out of the way of the crowds, Tao adjusted the sleeves of his robe once more, scowling as it itched. The stupid garment looked good on him in that shade of midnight blue, and it was warm for the most part, but the long sleeves just tickled his forearms like no tomorrow. He was going to check and make sure there wasn't a loose thread when he got home. Preoccupied with the robe, he didn't noticed the man approaching him until he was standing directly beside him.

He let out a startled yelp as the hooded man spoke up, turning to face him quickly. He couldn't clearly see the man's face, though his golden eyes were distinct in the shadows splayed across his features. He recognised those bright, golden eyes, even if he had never seen the man before, and his blood ran cold at the thought.

Vendaril.

For a second, instinct took over, and he took a pointed step away from the Symenestra, eyes widening with surprise and fear. The his mind kicked into play, calming his very frayed nerves with the logic that not every one of his species was a bipolar insane person like Vendaril was. Inhaling a deep breath quickly through his nostrils, he forced himself to relax and listen to what the man was saying. If it was something along the lines of 'I'm going to eat you!', then he could start panicking again.

Thankfully, the Widower - Kayven Aracev was his name - didn't seem to mean any harm, instead trying to woo him into spending time with him, and in Common no less. Like Vendaril had been, he was politely spoken and friendly enough, though something about his words seemed slightly more sincere than what he remembered about Vendaril.

It was only after he considered all of this that he realised that Kayven thought he was a girl.

It's this stupid robe! It makes me look like a girl! Now what do I do?!

"I..." He spluttered, fear and nervousness giving way to complete embarrassment, his cheeks flushing red. He quickly ducked his head to hide his reaction, fisting a hand in the side of his robe. "I'm... ah, not your type? That is, not your gender. I mean... well, I'm not a milady."

He shook his head and laughed nervously, trying to diffuse an awkward situation quickly. "But I'm Tao, if you're still interested."

"... In talking, that is."

Damnit.

Tao
Indesicive Stargazer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayven Aracev on January 14th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Kayven frowned as the woman took an involuntary step back from him. Such fear, while not entirely abnormal, was still unexpected, but only meant that Kayven would have to try that much harder to put the woman’s fears to rest. Except, as the Widower noted when she started speaking, that it wasn’t a woman he had targeted after all, but a man, and a rather awkward one at that. Kayven could understand the awkwardness, though it was not the reaction he would have produced had someone mistaken him for a female. The embarrassment on the Kayven’s Symenestra features were perhaps less noticeable than on a human, he simply grew a shade grayer though he did his best to cover it up as quickly as he could. A fool! How could I mistake a human male for a female? Have I been that long out of practice? he thought to himself as he thought on how best to salvage his blunder.

Plastering a thin smile over his features, Kayven reached his hands up to delicately draw back the cowl, exposing his bald pate to the chill night air. Hopefully being in full view would work to dissuade the man, Tao, from his uneasiness. “A pleasure to meet you, Master Tao,” Kayven began, extending one careful hand, as he had noted was a human custom. “You have my apologies, it has been some time since I interacted closely with humans, and it would seem that my sight does not distinguish easily between human forms, one of you looks as much like the other, I’m afraid.” An obvious lie, but Kayven got the sense that Tao hadn’t interacted with many Symenestra before, and might actually believe the false fact. To help the man along, Kayven worked a little more Hypnotism, attempting to instill a sense of contentment within Tao. Emotions were harder to work with than words, but Kayven was competent in his ability to soothe the human’s fears.

Kayven let his smile grow wider, just enough to show his teeth, but not quite enough to bare the length of his fangs. “Of course I am still interested, as I said, male or female, humans are all much alike, are they not? I told you I desired company, and you have the look of one who desires the same, yes?” All the while, Kayven kept that smile on his face. Kayven pointedly did not bring up Tao’s reaction to him, nor the fact that he was Symenestra. The Widower knew all too well his race’s reputation, but felt that as long as he left it unmentioned, it would not be brought up here, at the most crucial point of a relationship. Kayven silently uttered a prayer to Viratas, God of Blood and, by extension, all connections and relationships, as far as Kayven was concerned. With luck, this Tao may yet prove useful, even in spite of Kayven’s hideous blunder.
Kayven Aracev
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tao on January 15th, 2011, 6:55 am

If Kayven was embarrassed about his blunder, he took great care not to show it. He adopted a polite, apologetic tone as he explained the mistake, drawing back the heavy cowl to reveal the rest of his face. His skin was pale and moulded to the bones, drawing a sharp contrast to the dark hair amassed around his lips and chin. Tao was not too interested in Kayven's appearance, however; his attention was focused on the elongated blackened fingernails that pulled the cowl away. It was all too easy to remember the distinct click click sound that similar claws had made under his chin, a casual threat on his life.

But Kayven was not Vendaril, and he did not seem threatening, no matter how stern his face seemed as he looked down from his towering height. Until he turned and struck at him, there was no reason that he could not give him the benefit of the doubt. He had been looking for an excuse to stay out a while longer.

He took the extended hand and shook it lightly, noting that Kayven could not be local; even if speaking in Common did not give it away, the fact that he did not know the traditional greeting in Lhavit was a bow was quite telling. A kind of relief swept over him; a foreign Symenestra would be already be watched quite closely, especially in the evenings when the Shinya were most active.

His eyes slid away from the man's face for a few moments, darting around as he picked out the distinct uniform of the Shinya and where they were stationed. It wasn't surprising to see many of them standing around, keeping a careful eye on the crowds. If Kayven were in any way wise, he wouldn't dare make an attack in a place like this.

Armed with those reassurances, he took a deep breath and forced himself to relax.

“It's very nice to meet you, Kayven.” He replied finally, deciding not to make a fuss about being mistaken for a girl; his explanation sounded plausible enough. “Though you should be more careful about gender before you approach someone, you know. Many people would get very offended.”

Like me. But I'm an idiot who decided to wear this dress robe, and that's hardly your fault. He added silently, huffing a little under his breath at his own stupidity.

“Since you still want to talk... I suppose you could start with what brings you to Lhavit?” To distract himself from his embarrassment (which was still making him flush quite prominently), he quickly changed the subject. When he was working as a waiter, it had never failed to make a customer happy when they were given the chance to talk about themselves. It had rarely failed him in the real world, either.

Tao
Indesicive Stargazer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayven Aracev on January 15th, 2011, 7:24 am

Kayven smiled as the man took his proffered hand, pumping it a single time before withdrawing, careful to keep his nails from scratching the other man, who had seemed fixated on them as Kayven removed his cowl. The Widower smiled slightly, curling one side of his mouth up just enough to show the barest hint of fang on that side. ”Do not mind the nails,” Kayven said, slightly and honestly bemused. ”While some of my more…barbaric, cousins might make use of their nails as weapons, mine are simply ornamental and for convenience. You wouldn’t believe how difficult it is to keep them filed.” The black-clad Symenestra chuckled lightly at that, as if he were sharing some inside fashion secret.

The man’s gaze faltered for just a moment as his eyes darted past Kayven. Without turning to look himself, Kayven tried to guess what the man was eyeing, most likely the guards, who were especially active at night. Surely Tao was not still afraid of Kayven, after not one, but two doses of the Symenestra’s magic? While Kayven was certainly no Master Hypnotist, even his basic parlor tricks could have an effect when used properly. Still, Tao seemed to be visibly relaxing, which meant Kayven’s magic, in conjunction with his charisma, was producing exactly the right effect. With any luck, Kayven would do nothing to spoil his progress. Either this Tao was simply distrustful of everyone, or he had recently had an unpleasant encounter with another Symenestra. Given the gregarious nature of humans, Kayven was inclined to lean towards the latter, though he had no way of knowing for certain what that encounter may have been, or even if he was correct.

When Tao admonished him for mistaking the genders, Kayven nearly laughed aloud, instead contenting himself with a light chuckle. ”Yes, I suppose you are right. I myself would be…quite unhappy, had the same mistake been made in reverse. Again, I offer you my sincerest apologies.” That part, at least, was Viratas’ honest truth. Kayven had never been so embarrassed, nor made so grave a mistake, in all the six years since he’d left Kolinor! Wishing to distract Tao’s mind from the thought of the Shinya, Kayven decided to turn as if to walk forward, motioning Tao to walk beside him as the man asked his question of Kayven’s motives. So, the Widower thought, perhaps he is not the cowed little girl that he appears to be. Kayven quickly assessed the man, looking for any sign of martial training or concealed weapons and found…none. Whoever this Tao was, he was certainly no warrior, and was either incredibly off guard, or naturally trusting and/or weak-willed to succumb so easily to Kayven’s manipulations. Just a few more strings….

”In truth,” Kayven began, ”I am here because I was exiled from Kalinor. Only those who wish to partake in the Harvest are given sanction to travel, you see.” Another lie, but this one was at least only half true. The majority of traveling Symenestra were on harvest, and Kayven had been forbidden to leave by his grandmother, the Aracev Matriarch, but as the oldest son, he was hardly an exile. ”I had no desire to take part in that…blood game,” Kayven did his best to impart a sense of loathing for the Harvest into his words, all the better to convince the civilized Tao that he was a “reformed” Widower. ”I had heard, that the Shinya open all who come in peace here with open arms, and in truth, I fancy myself something of a wizard. I’ve heard wondrous things about the three major families here, and how they each specialize in a school of magic.” Kayven paused to let that sink in before drawing a nearly sincere frown and a touch of petulance to his voice, ”And yet, I fear that I will be denied admission to the Dawn Tower, solely on account of my race. No matter that I was exiled for wishing for something better!” There, the trap was set, the lies spun, all that remained was to see if Tao would walk into the spider’s web….
Kayven Aracev
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tao on January 15th, 2011, 8:19 am

Any apprehension he had about the Symenestra slowly eased as they began to speak. He couldn't completely relax knowing that the politely spoken man in front of him was one of Vendaril's kind (after all, Vendaril had been nothing but polite to him at first, hadn't he?), but there was very little to suggest that he was a bad person.

He was surprised that Kayven picked up on his wariness of his nails, and even more surprised when he made a joke about them. He made a point not to eye them again, not wanting for the man to feel uncomfortable about something that was simply a part of who he was.

“I accept your apology, so don't worry about it.” He said as the Widower finally showed some embarrassment over the gender confusion. That seemed like an honest emotion, and it softened the lines around his eyes, making him look more friendly than his initial impression of a stern, hardened man.

Very much eager to move past the fact that he could be so easily mistake for a girl, he followed after him as he began to walk forward, curling his lip as he noted that the larger man's long strides were equal to two of his own steps.

Then Kayven did something that Tao did not expect. With a frown and a sudden change in tone, he openly and fiercely condemned his own kind.

“I... don't know what to say.” He said, eyes widening with a mixture of shock and disbelief. While he didn't understand the specifics of some of the things he referenced, like the Harvest, he could not deny that the anger in the Widower's voice was not sincere.

But it was still felt... off. Like family, he had never considered that there could be naysayers of a species' actions from one of that species itself. You simply had to accept the reality of the people that you were, imperfections and all.

Perhaps it was an exaggeration, an attempt to convince him that he meant no harm, or to paint himself in a better light so that he would be accepted for training. Such an exaggeration would be necessary, given the cautious air of the Lhavitians towards the reputation of the Symenestra.

There was no reason it couldn't be true though, Tao considered, a small frown crinkling his forehead. He simply could not say either way. He was fairly sure that Kayven meant no harm to him at the moment, and that he wasn't a bad person at heart. It seemed unfair that he would be denied lessons simply for having black nails and fangs!

He looked up at the man, feeling a little sorry for him despite his questioning of the man's story. “It seems unfair that they wouldn't even give you a chance. I guess they're just trying to protect themselves. I'm... sorry to say that your kind doesn't have a good reputation, and if you meant ill will, it would be foolish if they were to give you more ways to attack.”

Pressing on before Kayven could take offence, Tao scratched an itch on his wrist as he continued to speak. “You'd probably have an easier time if you got someone respected to vouch for your good character. I don't disbelieve you,” or quite believe you “but the Dawn family would be better convinced by someone that they trusted, wouldn't they?”

Tao
Indesicive Stargazer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Una Nox on January 15th, 2011, 4:14 pm

;)Tao said it was alright for me to enter, but if you do find me a hindrance to where you were going with the plot, Kayven, be sure to tell me to pack my bags

Una was used to making the best of her nights, and ever quite social as she was lately, she was almost always making her strolls through the city alone. That thought brought a certain sense of irony into her thoughts, as she was now wondering would she be surrounded by people if she was trying to slid past unnoticed. The thought lingered in her head as she was smiling slightly as if she actually had a reason at hand, if one was even needed.

Her pace led her through people both male and female alike, most of them human as far as she could notice, but it was not like that mattered. The way of her feet was being redirected quite often. „Petchin crowds“ she thought as each new group represented but another wall of the breathing labyrinth. And it was A labyrinth she did not want to get lost in, nor did she have the wish to take part in such puzzles. As much as she hated the crowds, she hated being completely alone even more, therefore it was easy for her to choose the lesser of two evils in her oppinion; She was not so sure of her choice anymore tho....

For a second she found herself thinking how this night looked much like the one on which she had met the awkward man from the tea house. Tao was his name, was it not? His sudden departure ended Una's night quite early that time, and not in the most pleasant of ways, and she could not help but wonder if all male chefs were so strange. Maybe that was the reason there were so few of them these days? That was a reality, in Lhavit at least, that is, not a particularly logical one in Una's mind, but still present.

Tao was cute in a sheepish way, he had a slight air of attraction to him, he was quiet, and he...... was right in front of her. Suddenly twitching as if she had been deep in thought, Una glared at him with a sharp glance as if she was expecting him to move aside. A man was with him, one as sleek, as tall and as pale as Vendaril, but the lack of hair motioned to him being a stranger, so Una almost completely disregarded his pressence.

She did not really expect an apology, nor was she looking for one, but on that night, not so long ago, she was left wondering if she had done something wrong, and she did not like to re-evaluate her decissions; Not now..... not ever!

She had let her thoughts slide back to Tao, the one in front of her this time. He usually looked feminine, but now, he actually looked to be more of a woman than before. If he was going for such an effect, he definetely had managed to pull it off.
Una Nox
May Priskil guide my blade

Words: 40495
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayven Aracev on January 15th, 2011, 5:32 pm

^_^No worries, the more the merrier!

Kayven held his breath slightly after his explanation was done. Would Tao buy in to the lies? Had the anger been too much, too forced? The Widower did his best to put these thoughts out of his head, for they did nothing but undermine his confidence in his abilities, and confidence was everything to a Hypnotist. How could he persuade others to believe his lies without believing a little himself? He had heard stories, of Master Hypnotists so caught up in their own web of manipulations that they completely lost who they were; Kayven had to suppress an involuntary shudder at that thought. To be lost in one’s own web of lies, and not even know you were lost…that was truly a fate worse than death, as far as Kayven was concerned. This possibility did not dissuade the Symenestra from using his power as he wished, it simply meant he must be very careful about when and who he chose to manipulate, already he was coming close to his limit, unless he dared push the boundary and risk overgiving himself.

The Widower listened to Tao speak, nodding solemnly and trying hard not to smile like a loon when the man repeated the thought that Kayven had had all along: the need of a respected member of the community to vouch for his good character. Whether Tao believed all of Kayven’s fabricated backstory or not, he had arrived at precisely the point Kayven had been aiming for. There was a thrill of success in Kayven’s gut that he fought to put down. Despite his initial success, there was still much work to do. It still remained to be seen whether or not Tao was the person Kayven needed, but perhaps he could even be a voucher to the voucher, so to speak, helping Kayven win the good graces of a more influential individual through his own testimony of Kayven’s good character. Webs within webs, Kayven thought as he prepared to build upon this success, this initial foundation for all of Kayven’s plans in the city. By the venom of Vayt, this would be a glorious beginning!

Kayven needed only one more thing to see if Tao was indeed as useful as the Widower hoped he would be. ”And yourself, Master Tao? What is it you do here in beautiful Lhavit?” Kayven had no effort forcing his curiosity, for it was one of the few true emotions he allowed himself to show at any time, this would be the final piece. As Tao was about to answer, however, they were stopped by a human woman standing directly in front of them, glaring daggers at Tao. A spurned lover, perhaps, though Tao hardly seemed the sort. Regardless, she could be just as useful, perhaps. Kayven, not wanting to be caught up in the same faux pas he’d committed with Tao, took careful stock of this newcomer. Long, auburn hair; decidedly feminine curves beneath her simple garments; and a face that managed to beat Tao’s in marks of attractiveness, made this newcomer a female for certain. But there was something else about her, something different that few women possessed that Kayven had seen. His golden eyes traveled just past her shoulder to the short sword strapped diagonally across her back. Was she a fighter then, and perhaps a local, to carry a blade so openly with the Shinya around? Regardless, she was either a help or a hindrance to Kayven’s plan, and if she proved the latter, she would be removed from the picture.

Locking his golden irises on hers, trying not to bristle at having his carefully laid plans interrupted, he put on his best smile. ”Good evening, milady,” he began, much as he had with Tao, with a polite and respectful voice, attempting to gauge her reaction. He dared not resort to more Hypnotism, not so close to his limit. Already his mind felt as though he had been too long without sleep from the simple manipulations he’d already put in place on Tao. Cocking his head in curiosity, Kayven smiled as he posed his next question: ”Would you care to join us this evening? I confess I know little of the city, and am always open to making, new friends.” He hesitated just a tad on the last words, for friends were something Kayven had not had in a very long time, and truly did not wish to have. Friends were a weakness to be exploited, an open wound just waiting for salt. Kayven did not have time, nor patience for friends.
Kayven Aracev
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tao on January 16th, 2011, 12:06 am

:DIt's always nice to have more people!

Tao couldn't help but wonder if his answer had not been what Kayven was looking for. After a few brief nods that masked any real emotion on the matter, he quickly changed the subject, putting the spotlight back on him. He felt a sharp twist in his gut as he considered the circumstances of his life in Lhavit, the very thing he had been trying to avoid!

Once upon a time he would have said the simple answer, the one that was honest and hopelessly naive. I've come to see the stars, to start a new life, to move on. That had changed as time had trickled on, or was rather in the process of changing, and left him with no clear answer.

He turned his head slightly to eye the Koten Temple, overshadowing the rest of the Plaza with its vibrancy. He had done his best to keep his back to it all evening, not wanting to contemplate if he had a future there or if it was just another silly daydream that would turn out to be disastrous. After all, was he the sort of person that could serve a goddess happily and willingly? Was he even suitable for that kind of life?

“Well...” He began slowly, turning back to Kayven as he scrambled to improvise an answer that didn't sound as flaky and uncertain as he felt. He was met with a surprising sight that made the words die on his lips. And a cold shiver run down his spine.

He recognised the displeased looking woman standing in front of them; they had drunk that terrible boiled leaf drink together, and talked because there was no one else available. The dark look she was giving him for apparently existing in the same space at her spoke lengths to the disaster that night had been.

Tao had always felt guilty for the way that he had bolted from the tea house, too wrapped up in his own thoughts and feelings to consider how rude it really was. Perhaps now was a chance to make an apology. He didn't want any more enemies in the city, especially ones who carried around swords and looked like they knew how to use them!

Kayven intercepted the inadvertent staring match with a smooth and polite greeting before he had a chance to speak. The Symenestra had infinitely more grace than he did, leaving him feeling very self conscious as he attempted to speak up.

“H-hello, Una.” He said, his voice going soft and his tongue tripping over his words. He began to fidget with the sleeve of his robe, looking anywhere but directly at her. The apology came out in a rush seconds later, as he knew that if he faltered he would lose his nerve. “I'm sorry I ran out on you so unexpectedly that time. It didn't have anything to do with you.”

Tao
Indesicive Stargazer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next