Closed As they approach (Inka)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

As they approach (Inka)

Postby Karsynwa on July 24th, 2020, 1:13 am

15th of Summer, 520 AV

Karsynwa left the Kuahala Estates just after the eighth bell. Having gotten his morning excersises out of the way, he was of a mind to try out his recently acquired composite long bow, tucked away for now in a bow case he carried in his left hand. First though he had a friend to meet along the way, and a errand to run. The errand really could wait until afterward however he was keen to get it sorted soon. A feeling any Akalak could sympathize with when they lacked a piece of themselves. His only consolation was the fact that it might help keep his friend out of trouble. Though that was a big might. She had a streak for mischief that rivaled any Cerulean Karsynwa had come across.

He tried not to think about just that as he made his way up the winding avenue, feeling through the link the direction he should go. On his right he passed by the Almond Blossom, hesitating there for a moment while he looked through its ornate glass doors. A breakfast there sounded nice right about now, but he was hardly dressed appropriately for the establishment. Wearing his leathers as Rivarians so dubbed the outwear, he was clad in a leather tunic, leather breeches, as well as a pair of high cut black leather boots. Adding to this was an archer’s arm guard on his right arm, and an archer’s glove on his right hand. There was also a grey weapon harness worn over his clothing as he intended to visit the militia after training. The harness though was currently empty. Finally, slung over one shoulder was a quiver full of arrows he intended to practice with.

Suffice it to say, he’d be out of place there where a more elegant style of dress was the standard. Reluctantly he moved on, feeling the pull closer now. Unfortunately, it led him towards a tower he half expected when he embarked on the journey this morning. The Oath master’s tower. The building loomed over him, leaving him with an unpleasant decision to make. Did he wait for her and chance she would come out soon, or did he move on with his day while hoping for the best. Reluctantly, he quickly decided on the latter. It wasn’t a good look for him to be caught out shadowing her like this, and privately he berated his brother for having led him astray.

He took a moment to gather his bearings before he set off towards the gates. Put off by the failure of his first mission, he was leaning towards pushing his errand back a little further so he could get the restlessness out of his system. The more he thought about it, the more sense it made. If he went to the forge, he would have to back track all the way back up here. Backtracking up the steep side of the cliff during the heat of the day was not appealing in the slightest so he decided that it was in his best interest to go ahead with practicing now.

After pushing past the nagging feeling of leaving without his Lakan, Karsynwa joined the crowd that clustered around the gates.
Tukant - Common
Karsynwa
Player

Words: 239923
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2020, 7:24 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

As they approach (Inka)

Postby Inni on August 14th, 2020, 10:03 pm

As They Approach

15 of Summer 720

Inka would carry an Akalak child and she would survive.

This was her goal and no one would stop her, not even death, which remained to be her biggest opposition. Aware of her timeframe and that survival was unsure, she needed to be ready - Everything she knew and loved was left behind for this; How could she squander it now? The dangers of becoming Nakivak explained by others at Godiva's Refuge, it was more than just risking her life to aid in the survival of another race; it was securing a future for one who might not have one otherwise.

Gods, how she missed Inda and her mother.

Inka straightened the paper poised between her legs. On it, the Inartan had written a schedule. Every other day, she would rise early for physical training, alternating exercises until she found one that suited her. Running, swimming, trekking the city itself... These should do to strengthen her, but more than that, it would familiarize herself with this place as she had been instructed. In similar fashion, her diet would be strict. She would research fertility and birthing practices. In the evenings, she would go to the library to work on her Common Tongue and Tukant to improve her communication, and in any remaining free time, she would pursue her own crafts should she fail to find a sponsor.

What if no one wanted her? Inka's pen stilled and the room felt quiet. After all, she was no Konti.

After a beat of silence and with a steady hand, Inka wrote a reminder with each date of the Nakivak training sessions, classes that would teach her about her body and cycle by experienced women who had successfully followed through with their duties, and underlined them for good measure. She wanted - no, needed - to make a good impression... It would influence an Akalak's decision in choosing her as his breeder, recorded in a file that defined her strengths and weaknesses. She dripped the quill in ink:

Nakivak = Debt tragedy

I am no tragedy.

Inka lingered on the translation and folded the written plan up, knowing it was all up in the air until fate made its decision For now, she had been instructed to recover from her travels. But as Idalos often said: Two birds, one stone. Even if she wasn't expected to do much more, this was the perfect time to meet new people and become a recognized face in the community. The more she was seen around, the more likely she would be approached when it was time.

Inka slipped off the bed and stretched, reaching towards the sky as her back and shoulders arched. She felt the pull of her muscles and so she lowered, alternating to reach towards the floor and hug her legs while her hamstrings wept.

"Mm," she straightened, jogging in place to warm away the ache and then wandered to door of her room, where her sandals waited patiently by the door. Inka brushed her teeth and tied back her hair, dressing quietly before snagging her coin purse, city map, and locking the room behind her.

Another woman was heading to her room at the same time, and they waved in the hallway, "Good morning, Inka," she greeted, pulling her room key from her pocket.

"Good morning," the redhead parroted, taking her time with the pronunciation. She suddenly thought of her first night in the refuge, "You see Aetia, in this morning?"

"Hm, sorry, no... I think she is with her Talvis now."

"Oh," Inka's shoulder dropped slightly. It seemed that their schedule hadn't quiet lined up yet, but she knew she couldn't rely on one friendly face to make due in the city. Would she too have to spend so much time with her Talvis (which Inka learned was a patron, and not an Akalak's name at all, like she had thought!). Some of the Nakivak with gold manacles were gone for hours at a time, others days. One, whom she had not fully met and had only seen in passing, had moved out of the refuge entirely to supposedly live with hers shortly after she arrived, "If you see, say to her Inka go to get bow, like we say first night, yes?"

The other woman made a puzzled face, but seemed to gather what the girl was saying, "I will do," she smiled, "Have a good time."

"Yes," Inka moved towards the stairs, "Thank you."

Fingers running along the stone walls as she descended, she greeted the women in the common room and headed out the front door, down the stairs and into the fresh air.

It smelled like possibility.

'So...'

Inka shuffled down the path, rummaging for her map and trying to follow it with hesitant and frequent stopping steps. 'She said it was outside of the city... Is that safe? Is it... this way?' The curve in the road didn't seemed to be in the same direction, and she looked down, still walking, 'If the gates are here... And Godiva's is ... here....' Her finger traced the pathway, and a deep voice called out to her.

"Are you lost?"

An Akalak carrying a bundle of furs was watching her, smiling. His skin was midnight, tinged with red. Eyes of turquoise, he stepped forward in supple leather boots and matching attire, reaching for her map, "I can help you."

Inka turned the offer over in her mind, weary. She had expected something like this to happen, but not so soon. Nimi was right, "My Common is poor..." she thought that might have been something to dissuade him, but he gently took the map from her hands.

"Where are you going?" he asked, tapping the paper and crouching so not to loom over her.

"I.... do not know. I look for bow, and there is beautiful red head outside of city that has. Yes?"

His smile broadened, "A beautiful red head in the city, too." Inka furrowed her brow and then her face reddened - bold man. He was speaking of her? If this was all a ploy to get her attention...

"You say you help," Inka persisted, reaching for the paper in a flash of silver. He caught her hand, quite easily, and quicker than she had been expecting.

"I did," he finally tore his eyes from face and looked down at the bracelet bound around her delicate wrist, "What is your name?"

His touch was firm but gentle and she knew where he must have been looking. Her stomach dropped and she was suddenly embarrassed, "...Inka."

"Inka," he repeated slowly, as if tasting the word, "I am Rysaric. And you..." he smirked, noting the map, "-Are looking for The Stained Pelt. I go there often," He followed up with a series of directions, keeping them as simple as possible for the foreign woman, and then rose back to his full height, "I will take you."

"No-" She withdrew her hand, as well as her map and then shook her head, "No, no. Thank you. I go alone. I have to learn." she drummed her fingers nervously, "Important for... me in city. I must know way... so no help."

"No help," he smirked, but then glancing past her, his amusement seemed to darken as he noted other Akalak, "I will take you to gates only. Riverfall can be tiring if you go the wrong way."

She frowned. Bold and persistent.

"Fine. To gates. No help. Final offer."

Rysaric seemed to find this endearing and she couldn't tell if he mocked her or not, "Final offer."

"Stop that," she muttered, watching him heft up his belongings and them motion for her to lead. She pushed her shoulders back and continued the way he had instructed, and she was surprised to find that he kept his word - staying quiet as she figured out the trail. He didn't seem to tire, but didn't mind that they stopped once for her to catch her breath. Once, she forgot whether she was supposed to take a turn or continue walking straight, and he hooked her elbow in fluid redirection which she jumped away from in surprise. She shot him a look. But later, when it happened the second, and then third time, Inka's pride was buried and Ryaric's presence didn't seem too bad. He seemed content enough to walk beside her, whistling idly as she grew more confident with recognizing where she stood on the map and when the gates revealed themselves, Inka's discomfort at being approached faded and she smiled broadly.

"Thank you, Rysaric." a crowd had gathered by the gates and she saw his dark head bow in satisfaction, "I did need much help. Sorry I was... like... wild rabbit."

He laughed loudly, "Like wild rabbit?.. I think the word your looking for is skittish," he quirked a brow, finally sighing at the goodbye, "Stay close to the others when if leave Riverfall. It can be dangerous in the plains, but the Pelt isn't far. It was nice to meet you, Inka."

Bowing, Rysaric turned on his heel, leaving the woman to run towards the crowd in a bundle of bouncing curls. That wasn't so bad! Now all she had to do was find the beautiful red head selling bows, "Excuse, excuse," Inka's hazel eyes scanned the colorful mass of individuals before her, feeling only slightly less intimidated when she noticed one without a weapon. He was very tall, around seven foot if she had to guess, and unlike Rysaric, his skin was cool-toned. She would ask him; he didn't appear to have a face tattoo, which was one of the warnings she had been given and she'd have to get used to approaching Akalak one of these days, "These people move to go outside city? I need to go to Stained Pelt for bow but told to stay with group for being safe," she tucked the map into her pocket, glancing around at the others before drawing her attention back, "I am Inka, Inarta from Windreach."
Inni
Player

Words: 18358
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2020, 3:15 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes

As they approach (Inka)

Postby Karsynwa on August 19th, 2020, 2:40 am

Naturally he was a bit confused at the traffic around the gate. It reminded him that the city had changed in his absence. The Bluevein was lower than he had ever seen it, and now it seemed there were new stipulations for entering the city via the land gate. At least, that was how it appeared to him watching the people file out of the large white tents that had been erected around the city’s gate. These people who emerged from the tents usually found someone in the crowd he had joined before heading further into the city.

Meanwhile those going out through the gate filtered through a smaller tent where several Akalak guards lounged within. Karsynwa was about to alter his course in that direction when a woman approached him. Not the woman he had been lingering about for. A different one, with red hair and eyes that were a greenish brown. Which color was more prominent depended on the way the light hit her he saw as she turned her face towards him. His eyes flickered over to the silver shackle on her right wrist, before meeting her gaze.

Over there. I go too. My name is Karsynwa.” He said slowly, picking up on the fact that common might not be her strong suit as well. Her accent was strange to him which meant she likely came from someplace distant. She’d spoken of a place called Windreach, and idly he wondered which direction that was from here. He’d only been out towards the east but he knew there was plenty of land to travel in any direction you went from Riverfall. Yet another horizon he had yet to explore on this journey of his. “You want come with? I go practice with bow.” Karsynwa asked as he lifted the case up in his left hand and pointed with his right to the smaller tent that was welcoming people filtering through to go out of the city.

An Akalak muttered in Tukant behind him. Karsynwa only caught snippets as the man’s voice was low and he’d been in the process of talking with Inka, however what he did catch made him stifle a grimace. “boys too young.. Nakivak” Naturally Finaewa suggested that instead of hiking all the way to the smithy later, they just retrieve his Lakan from that welp of a girl so he wouldn’t have to bear such slights to his honor. Karsynwa reminded him he still had his hands. Finaewa conceded the point, then asked why he had yet to do anything about it. Karsynwa pointed out the fact that he had just extended an offer to this lady and now was not the time to form petty grudges.

Point made, Karsynwa gave a cursory look around before making his way to the smaller tent. There a guard was about to wave him through when he saw the woman trailing along behind him, and arched an eyebrow. “Morning. You aren’t taking that Nakivak out onto the grass to hunt are you?” The Akalak asked in Tukant, his voice laced with suspicion. Karsynwa’s eyes widened perceptively as he looked down at his bow case and then back at the man quickly before laughing lightly. “No. Only just ran into her. She’s new, and seeks the Stained Pelt, same as me.” He said genially before extending an arm towards the guard. “Not that I figured you for the sort, but you are missing your Lakan so I had to ask.” The guard replied in a cool town, narrowing his eyes slightly before grasping his arm back.

Karsynwa sobered up at that. “Keeping an eye on another woman. She’s with the Oathmaster now.” He said solemnly, and at that, the guard cracked his first grin. “You make a habit of collecting women like such? Please, you’ll have to tell me this story some time so that I might learn and do the same.” The man’s smile was almost feral now, and Karsynwa smiled hesitantly in response. “Come down to the lodge and I’ll tell you anything you want to know. First round is on you though.” He chuckled to diffuse the tension, and reached out to pat the slightly shorter Akalak on the shoulder. “I’ll come soon then.” The guard said, joining in with a light laugh of his own. Karsynwa nodded, and with a slight wave towards Inka, he made his way out of the tent.

Outside the gates, they had only just begun to make their way to the Stained Pelt. First they would have to walk down the main road to reach the Ferry they would take across the Bluevein. Then once across they would have to follow the road on down till the reached the Stained Pelt tucked against the outer wall of the city. So needless to say, they had plenty of time to talk on this trip of theirs. Something Karsynwa struggled with during the first several chimes of their walk together.

How long you come here?” He asked after a time, looking over at Inka as he asked it so he could watch her reaction. Not that he intended to learn anything particularly illuminating about it. Just that he’d gotten a knack for it during his travels and wasn’t one to let a moment go to waste. There was always something to be doing at any given time, and you never knew what information might be important later. After she had some time to answer the question, he followed it up with another similar one.

This Windreach. It far from here? What look like?” Karsynwa was careful as he asked this sequence of questions, and he would stop asking if it looked like he was pressing her for too much information too soon. Last thing he wanted to do was offend a Nakivak. That was something that few reputations survived, no matter their accomplishments. Hard to carry on your bloodline when every woman in the city had heard something against your character. He didn’t know from personal experience if they all talked with one another, but he knew of an all woman establishment in the city that could facilitate that. It had been a part of his training when he was younger to observe such a place, though they wouldn’t let him inside given he was male. Karsynwa dismissed the thought as instead he focused on what the woman was telling him, cycling that information into what he had already observed about the woman.

Not long after their discussion, they came to the spot in the rode where it split crosswise. Ahead it continued to go straight along the river, but now to the left and the right there was a road as well. The one to the left lead to the north, and deeper into the sea of grass while the one on the right dipped towards the river, leading to a well made dock along the Bluevein’s banks. Usually, the water of the Bluevien ran up almost to the start of the dock but the lack of Winter had not been kind to her. The water instead lingered half way down the posts all the way at the foot of the dock, and more distressingly still, the Ferry had been beached upon the large stretch of muddy shore to the left of the dock.

Instead of using the Ferry to cross, several people were boarding canoes that waited along the edge of the river, and with a heavy sigh, Karsynwa joined the line to cross the water. Thankfully the wait was not longer than a few chimes. The mud sucked at his boots as the time came for him to cross over to one of the canoes, and he turned to offer a helping hand to Inka before climbing after her into the canoe. Nothing about the journey across the water felt right to Karsynwa, but he brooded on that in silence. The Bluevein didn’t have the same zest to it, hardly fighting them as their guide paddled them across. It disappointed him, and made him wonder if this was going to be how it was from now on. Would the Bluevein dry up to a trickle if they had any more Summers like this? The thought filled him with dread as his eyes fixated on the looming shore opposite them. Not much longer to the Stained Pelt, though he was having serious doubts now as to if he would be able to concentrate on the lesson after witnessing the river.

My thanks” Karsynwa said softly in Tukant as the Akalak came up onto the shore and helped Inka off. Following her, he stepped lightly off the canoe only to plunge inches deep into the muck again, having to trudge his way up the bank before they got solid ground underfoot once more. “This not river. This stream.” He complained after a few chimes of them walking along the road towards the Stained Pelt, as he idly wondered what she’d thought about the scene behind him. Of course, that got him thinking about what a shame it was she hadn’t seen the Bluevien in its full glory, among other things. He shook such negative thoughts out of his head as he alternated between which boot he scrapped the mud off of on the rough hew of the road.
Tukant - Common
Karsynwa
Player

Words: 239923
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2020, 7:24 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets