Completed Dining With The Dead [Moritz]

The two pick up where they left off.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Dining With The Dead [Moritz]

Postby Alice Weaver on November 27th, 2020, 11:52 pm

45th of Fall, 520

The forty-fifth of the season rolled around quite quickly, that amount of time seeming to flash by. Time waited for no one. Alice soon found herself back in the Outpost plaza where she had that fateful, if rocky, meeting with the young Spiritist, Moritz. She first offended the young Kelvic by instantly bringing his age into the equation, mistakenly thinking that the child-looking figure was lost and needed help. Just how wrong could one be? Moritz, while he may have looked like a child, neither spoke nor acted like one. The only hint to his age would have been his seeming naivete about the way the world works with his very firm and unmoving stance on telling the truth.

But besides that little tidbit that the two had a slight disagreement on, Alice found Moritz refreshingly straightforward, blunt, practical, and most importantly, useful. They both had something to gain by working with one another and both sought to capitalize on that. Hopefully using that wish to grow and develop to forge a strong partnership between the two, leading to both gaining what they wished to gain in the end.

Let’s just not scare him off with what I what out of this partnership right off the bat, shall we? She chucked to herself while passing through the Sunberth Dovecote, entering the building, wrapping a bit of her shroud around the door, and pushed it shut behind her with a small force of will. Finding herself alone within the small, silent room. The gentle coo of the birds it was named after could be heard somewhere just out of sight. The area was calming and relaxing, Alice knew this was one of the few places you could go to be isolated from the world for a scant few seconds. But all good things must come to an end and as soon as the door latched shut behind her she began to count to three in her head before turning around. She reached a strand of her cool, gossamer thread down to the infernal contraption, now a bit practiced at using doorknobs without hands. She turned it underneath the soulmist, slowly and with much concentration before the door popped open with a faint thunk! Swinging open to reveal a much larger Dovecote than the one she entered in Sunberth.

Alice drifted out into the open without a sound into the larger area, hanging to the sides as to not disturb the few people that wandered in and out, spreading out her soulmist to fade into the background. It was all well and good to be a ghost but people tended to be nervous of them, avoiding detection or at least making yourself less noticeable was for the best. It was...mostly successful to say the least. The few merchants moving in and out with a purpose missed the hazy, translucent woman, glancing over what they were not looking for. But the man’s whose sole purpose was to greet those entering and exiting and dovecote was harder to avoid.

“Well met, Spirit.” He spoke calmly while she tried to slip out into the plaza beyond. “I hope you find what you need in the Outpost again, a pleasure to have you back.”

Alice stopped herself briefly, giving the man a short curtsey while dipping her head. “The pleasure is all mine.” Greeting done, she slipped out of the large dovecote and into the plaza proper.

The dovecote fell away behind her while the architecture bloomed in front. The walls rapidly expanded to form a large squared area surrounded by arched apartments marked with swirling blue decorations and stuccoed roofs. A few musicians strummed their instruments providing a calming atmosphere as they moved their way around the central pond and the few trees planted about it. The sound fading in and out as they moved closer or farther away in their busking quest.

Keiss acolytes stood underneath the shade of the apartment, brooms in hand, maintaining the entrance area of the Outpost, all while keeping an eye on the few people moving through the plaza to ensure no one got out of hand. If one strained their hearing they would hear the hustle and bustle of the Bazaar just through the arched path and could see flashes of movement as people walked beyond.

‘Walking’ along the ground to attract a bit less attention she maneuvered to get out from under the sun that hung fat in the sky, casting its warming rays down through the clear sky, coming to rest underneath a balcony that shot off from one of the apartments. The shadow wrapping around her form and made her seem more substantial as she waited for Moritz to show up whenever he would. She realized that they never specified a time so she decided to show up in the late morning and was content to wait as she had nowhere to be and a few hours early wouldn’t do her any harm.

Briefly, she wondered if she should find a more conspicuous place to rest as she was getting partially consumed by the shadows around her but ended up shrugging, figuring that finding a ghost would be a good exercise for young Moritz.
Last edited by Alice Weaver on January 2nd, 2021, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Words: 184933
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2020, 11:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 28th, 2020, 12:40 am

45 Fall 520

After last meeting Alice in the outpost Mortiz had found himself quite tired. Perhaps it had been the excitement of a new place, or of the events that had transpired. In truth Moritz felt it was more likely related to his possession which was still new to him even if Alice was decent at the task. He knew though that it was all a part of his training, and so took it in stride, but still felt various aches and strained areas for a few days. Nothing too bad had happened though, and within a few days even those small aches had faded away to nothing. By the time they were planned to meet for the second time such things were but a distant memory.

Moritz headed through the door of the Dovecote to find himself once more in the outpost. He was generally equipped the same as before, clothes on his body, and pack on his back with some general items. Some money, a few random tools, and the like. The main difference was that rather than his normal boots he was instead wearing the sandals that had been purchased on their last meeting and visit. Otherwise he looked more or less the same as before.

Entering the plaza he saw some motion off to the side, an realized it was Paul waving to him. After their numerous and in depth talks he was not surprised to find the man remembered him. He did not however come up, limiting himself to a passing wave, as Paul was currently talking to someone else. A new person to the Outpost perhaps? He was unsure, but had his own things to do and so on this day did not investigate further. Instead he began moving about searching for Alice. He was unsure which of them would see the other first, just that they were to meet in the initial plaza, but knew that his finding Alice also depended on how much she was hiding or trying to reveal herself. Likely she would see him first then, which meant moving about was his best bet.

In truth Alice had not been there long when Moritz arrived, perhaps a half bell at most. Mortiz was used to rising early and at odd times being in Lhavit, and so felt it made the most sense to arrive early in the day if they were to spend whatever part of the day in discussion and meeting. And so he had arrived earlier in the day as well, but not too terribly early. In truth in the moments after his possession had ended he had been quite tired, and so had not thought beyond setting a date and place for their meeting, let alone a specific time and specific place for their meeting.

Doing his best to make himself visible Moritz headed around the periphery of the plaza, checking around to see if their were any signs of a ghost nearby. As he moved he did occasionally feel a cold twinge which he vaguely related to a ghost being nearby, but was unsure where specifically the ghost was. Just a general feeling that one was somewhere close by, relatively speaking, rather than anything so specific as a certain direction.

If not interrupted Mortiz would make his way all the way around the edge of the plaza to complete a full circuit, stopping only to inspect the large fountain and surrounding area on the north side of the outpost on that wall which was much larger and more noticeable than other smaller bits of water about the place.

WC: 603
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Alice Weaver on November 28th, 2020, 1:42 am

Alice lurked within the shadow of the building, passing the time by practicing something that Mortiz mentioned and she all but forgot about till she was here again. That being if it was possible to materialize only a portion of her form at once. She did eventually see the value in it. Her touch could become dangerous or so she heard from the whispers of the people around her throughout her time in Sunberth. People muttering to “not touch a ghost” for it could be quite painful depending on the ghost. If she could materialize say just her hands maybe it would be quicker and more suited to delivering a quick tap. Though her touch seemed to only provide a minor shock at this point it might grow stronger as she gained proficiency.

So that is how she killed the time. She reached out from her center core and much like she wrapped something with soulmist to move it she focused on just wrapping where her hand would have been, were she still alive. Spinning the shroud that crafted her body faster and faster, pulling it down and stretching it much like one would a piece of clay, forming it into the rough shape of a hand. If she could have sweat she would have been. The concentration of flexing such a specific ‘muscle’ pulled her mind in an uncomfortable direction as she had to keep the false mass of spreading across her body while also condensing it down into a complex shape. After a few chimes had passed she let out a sigh as she released the strained, wispy material, the half formed hand drifting away as it meshed back into her body.

“Damn. That’s harder than I thought. Interesting though. Something worth looking into.” She mused to herself glancing up to see what has changed during the time she was so internally focused. She noted with a small amount of surprise that walking in a meandering circle was Mortiz, brightly colored hair once again making him stand out amongst a crowd. She watched as he head swiveled slightly, granting him an overview of the plaza, his eyes lingering on the shadow Alice was cloaked in before skipping by as if he sensed something but wasn’t quite sure where it was coming from.

Ah. So is he not good enough to pinpoint me yet? Only know that I am around? She thought to herself as she watched him begin a loop around the plaza. As he was approaching the place where she had sequestered herself away she decided to cut him a break and reveal herself. She took a step out into the light while simultaneously reaching out from her core to grasp at her frayed edges, this time spinning and layering the soumist over her entire body, finding it easier than forcing it all to one spot. The false mass bloomed across her chest and raced down her arms and legs, giving more depth to her dress and red locks. The form was still far from perfect as she looked like smudged charcoal on the edges and sporadic flickers that rippled throughout her, further disrupted the illusion as she fully emerged from the shade.

“Hello, Moritz. Lovely to see you again. I hope you have been fairing well since our last meeting?” She spoke warmly. She noted that he was wearing the sandals they bought together which for some reason brought a larger smile to her face.
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 28th, 2020, 2:24 am

As he had passed the large fountain near the one side of the plaza, Mortiz noticed it also had a board near it. From his pass he could see various papers and things written and posted on it. He was not close enough to see what any of them said, but noted it as something to look at on a later date. A possible point of interest to consider.

Having passed that Moritz continued on his loop around the plaza, watching as best he could but not truly expecting to find a hidden ghost. More so he was expecting Alice to see him, assuming he was there. Considering things Moritz quickly came to the conclusion that if he had not run into Alice once he had made a few rounds he would find a spot to sit and wait where he could see people entering the outpost at the dovecote.

Of the two of them his distinct appearance and hair were also more visible, particularly when compared to a ghost, and so that was another reason he felt it was logical to be the one to be noticed rather than the ghost. The further around Moritz got in his loop the more he was left to wonder if the slight sense he was noticing was even Alice. Perhaps it was just in his head, or perhaps it was another ghost. He did not consider his skills and senses regarding ghosts refined enough to be truly reliable, so he could not in truth say neither were possible.

It was as he was passing a shadowy area where it was harder to see due to the lack of light that Moritz noticed some motion. Pausing in his walk and swiveling to more directly see the motion Moritz tensed and prepared himself to move if needed. However when he saw that the person or figure he was seeing was Alice he let out a breath and untensed his muscles ready to launch into motion if needed. Seeing as she was so visible, particularly having stepped out of the shadows, he assumed she was once more materializing her form to appear alive. Or at least more alive, since it was still quite clear upon a direct inspection that she was not truly alive and solid but simply pretending as such.

An illusion of appearance and mass and solidness, something that ghosts appeared innately capable of doing. Moritz waved back at the ghost woman spoke to him in greeting, returning the gesture.

"Hello Alice, how have you been? I see your still working on your materializing. I've been fine enough, just keeping busy at home and things. How about you, what have you been doing?"

Turning about Moritz tried to find some Keiss, hoping to ask for some directions. He soon saw what appeared to be a pair across the plaza, sweeping and cleaning.

"You said we should find a place to meet and talk and eat and things. If you don't know of a place I suppose I could ask one of the Keiss."

Assuming that Alice did not have a place to offer, Mortiz would head over to the Keiss to question them.

"Excuse me, me and my friend are looking for a place to sit and talk, possibly to get something to eat as well. Do you know of a place for that?"

Reaching into his bag Moritz pulled out a copy of the map of the outpost which he had been given on his first visit. Seeing it one of the Keiss reached out and began tracing lines on the map.

"We are here. There is a place that seems to fit what you need, called the Courtyard Cantina. Just go around this way here, and then down this way, then it should be... Here. Then you are there."

Mortiz nodded, tracing the route including the start and end point several times, before putting the map back in his things. Once more he tried to mentally picture the map in his head, rather than referring to the actual paper map. If he wanted to learn how to navigate better he needed to work on remembering where things where, which meant not overly relying on the paper map to do so.

"Thank you, your assistance is much appreciated."

The man simply nodded and waved Moritz off before returning to his work. Moritz in turn headed back to Alice to tell her of the new information, repeating the mans directions if she had not already followed along and listened. If she had or once he had repeated the directions Mortiz would spend a moment to orient himself before heading off in the direction he had been given.

WC: 784
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alice Weaver on November 28th, 2020, 2:57 am

As she stepped out of the shadows and cloaked herself in false mass, she watched Moritz tense with a slight bit of alarm before relaxing as he noticed who it was. The spiritist quickly corrected himself however once again settling back into his cool and calm tones responding to her question before inquiring about her own state.

“I am glad you have been doing well and I’ve been fine. Flitting too and fro with really no plan in mind being dreadfully bored. I really should find something to occupy my time with. I was just working on my single body part materialization before you came by so funny you mention it.” She watched as he turned to look for a pair of Keiss asking if she would like to go with him to get some food and talk asking her if she knew of a place. She snorted at that question, unable to help herself. “I must say I do not particularly know the location of restaurants in the area. I am not big on food you see?” She gestured to her flickering, semi-solid form. “Best to ask the Keiss as you said.”

And Moritz did just that. Crossing the plaza to speak to a Keiss acolyte that was sweeping the smooth cobblestones. She didn’t know why but the Keiss unnerved her a bit. She had an inkling that a few were most likely like Madeira and would have no problem dealing with someone who had her...condition. Hence the reason why Alice hadn’t done anything that probably bordered on a grey area within the law and why she was so persistent in asking Mortiz if he wanted to go through with the possession. She had no wish for Keiss to catch wind of a ghost possessing what looked to be a child and galavanting around. And to find out what they would do about that situation.

So she watched from afar as Moritz pulled out a map and seemed to ask for directions. The keiss helped without any fuss, tracing something on the map for him to follow. Moritz then turned back to relay the information he had received from the Keiss to Alice. A location called ‘Courtyard Cantina’, supposedly a popular dining spot and a reasonably comfortable place to have a nice chat. She made a lead on gesture not caring really one way or the other where they went, she sure wasn’t going to be eating the food so that choice should firmly rest with Moritz.

She walked beside Moritz as he took off in a direction, seeming confident enough about navigation, as she prepared herself to try and avoid contact with the bustling crowd that the Outpost attracted. “So Moritz,” She began. “You said you were studying last time we met, no? How have your studies been going? And what have you been studying? I must admit I am a bit out of touch with what schools are teaching nowadays. Sunberth is not big on classrooms more...a hands-on style of learning you could say?”
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 28th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Moritz found the thought of a ghost being bored a bit... Odd. A ghost was someone who had died, yet refused to move on. refused to be reborn, instead clinging onto their current life. Or unlife in truth, since they weren't properly alive. They clung to what was left of their life due to their need to keep living and doing, and yet... Yet from what Alice said she was not doing much. Instead she was eager to meet and do and interact, almost coming of as she was more bored and lonely than anything else.

This seemed odd to Moritz. He could not imagine clinging on after death, but he also couldn't imagine doing so and then not doing much of anything with it.

"Is there not much to do in your city? What city did you say you were from? I'm from Lhavit, it seems like there is always something to do there, but not sure if that's more about me or the city. Of course I'm still young, so I spend most of my turn learning, I don't have a job yet like older people. Mmm.... Could a ghost have a job? Not sure what you'd be able to do really, not being able to easily physically do things. And its not like you need clothes or things, just soulmist. And that would come from a spiritist, though I suppose they need money to buy the things to make it, so I guess you could use money to buy soulmist from a spiritist... Or to pay money to recompense them for their costs. Yeah, not sure. Not sure what my mother gets from ghosts to give them soulmist she makes."

Her comment on food made sense, ghosts not needing to eat food directly. Still though, he was fairly certain she had been the one to bring up eating before, so he had figured she might have some idea of where they might go. But now that it was clear she had not and did not, it made sense somewhat.

"Oh, you tried it out? It was just a theory I had from what I had seen. How did it work? I'm kind of curious. Always nice to see some evidence and experience to back up you supposition. I mean you can look at things logically, consider things from every way, but until you actually go out and do it you never know how close or far away you are from things in your theory. Eventually you have to actually try to confirm things."

Focusing for a moment in his mind he tried to further refine the mental picture of a map he was slowly creating. Filling in another spot, the cantina, and comparing it to other places around it to better get a frame of reference on where it was positioned. He still had to refer to the map at times to refresh his memory, but slowly he was filling in details and needing it less and less when moving about the Outpost. Similar to when he was home and going from and too a known place.

As they walked Alice seemed to pass the time by asking Moritz more about himself. What he did, what he was learning, and things.

"My studies are going fine. I tend to move up classes pretty fast so I'm not with the same kids long, but then it makes sense, seeing as I appear to age faster than the other kids. I mean a few seasons ago... How old did people think I was? Well, that's just natural for me. I can't tell though if I learn faster because I age physically faster, or if I'm just better at learning than them. Or maybe the other kids are just dumb. Or maybe I'm smart. I suppose any or several of those could be the reason."

Moritz of course was referring to his nature and aging as a kelvic, but as was common with the young kelvic he often forget others did not know he was a kelvic and were not so good at detecting them. Which meant some of what he said might not make sense, or appear to be half a statement out of context... Which would therefore not make sense.

"Anyways, I suppose I learn the normal things. Reading, writing, math, and stuff. We do a lot of group projects, working together on things. I also started taking an extra class, each of the younger students picks one extra subject that is mainly for older people, and gets to take lessons in that. I'm learning how to cook, though I'm still pretty new at it. Peeling potato's and the like. But I guess once we get better we will be allowed to do more. I mean we just started learning this season, so it makes sense they wouldn't do it all right away and would build up to harder things. Do they have a school in the place you are at? Sunberth? You said people learn, but you didn't say if there was a school or not. What do you do in Sunberth mostly? You said you were bored a lot lately, but didn't say what you actually did when you did things."

As they got to the end of a segment of the path where there was a turn Moritz hooked around and changed their direction. He did not think their destination was too far, but then the entire place was not that big. Of course part of that was his sense of scale from Lhavit, a mountain city built across several peaks rather than one consolidated structure. Things were more spread out and there was more empty space in Lhavit, whereas here everything was inside one big wall and was limited in terms of overall space. Growing out was not an option, or so it seemed, which meant anything new would require either growing up or replacing something there before. An interesting thing, but not something very applicable to Lhavit.

WC: 1,004
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alice Weaver on November 29th, 2020, 1:28 am

Moritz seemed to show some confusion at the fact that she said she was bored but that made sense. Ghosts were typically go go go until they completed their reason for staying out of the natural cycle before fading back into it. His confusion was then followed, in the typical Moritz fashion, with a good few questions. Was there not anything to do in her city? What city was that? Could a ghost have a job? ...Actually, that was a good point. Could she have a job? She could see no reason why not. She'd actually be quite good at it she felt. Her form not needing rest or other comforts so she could hypothetically work for all hours of the day. And she would eventually need money to pursue her end goal so it was definitely worth attempting at the very least.

“Ah no. There is plenty to do in Sunberth it just doesn’t quite go along with what I had in mind. The city originally seemed like a good idea as a place to practice some of my abilities but I quickly found it to be...lacking in many other things. It does quite disagree with the Syliras girl within me.” She chuckled. “As for if I could get a job I see no reason why not? I do have ways to interact with the world physically and I do not require much rest or food so I could make up for my slower pace with longer hours. Eventually, interacting with the world should be less of a problem I hope. It sure is something to look into since I do have a use for money later down the line, but buying a spiritist’s time or soulmist is not the worst use of money I could think of. Also, I would assume that your mother gets favors in return. There are a lot of people with my condition who can do things that others can not. Or she simply enjoys helping others and that is why she does it? I wouldn’t know who your mother was, Moritz. But if you are anything to go by she sounds like a lovely person I would be overjoyed to meet.”

Mortiz then showed some excitement at her mention of attempting a localized Materialization and asked how it went. She felt he was partially entitled to that information since he was the one to gave her the idea to try it.

“Well, in my brief attempt while waiting, I found it quite difficult. It is breaking a sort of muscle memory for me, having to contain the ‘shift’ to only a small part. The hand, though it is generous to call it that, that I formed was rough, unsolidified, and quite blurry. Perhaps it's simply a matter of working at it till it becomes second nature? But I think there is some promise in it.”

Next, he answered her inquiry about his studies listing off a few topics he learned every day, and she couldn’t help but find herself being a bit jealous. Having dreamt of being able to learn some of those higher-level topics and being able to call herself a scholar. But school was expensive and even dead she only had one hundred Mizas to her name, barely enough for a few seasons of classes in academies... if they would even accept the dead woman. A thing that caught her attention though was the mention that Moritz was rarely with the same students as he quickly moved up. At first, she thought that was just because he was naturally gifted before he mentioned that he seemed to age faster than his peers and by extension learned faster?

Before bringing up a possibly sensitive question she addressed the one about her temporary residence of Sunberth with a smile as he misunderstood her joke about the lawless city. “There is no school in Sunberth to learn from. I more meant people that grow up on the streets learn skills from their betters or the local gangs. Mostly on how to steal, not mathematics or language as you do. As for what I have been doing lately I have been drifting about Sunberth attempting to grow myself and take advantage of the lawlessness, but I quickly found that it wasn’t my cup of tea so to speak. So now I’ve been spending a good deal of time in the Outpost making connections with those like yourself and perusing the library.” She took a brief pause before taking an unnecessary breath, putting on a gentle tone in case she offended the young man.

“Moritz. You said you aged differently from your peers. Do you mean mentally or...physically? You are not human either, corrected? Your eyes are really the only giveaway as people have been known to do crazy things with their hair from time to time, especially those that look to be your age. But what really made me question it was that when I was possessing you it felt as if there was another layer beneath your soul, almost like another body that could come out with the flip of a switch. I decided not to poke around because I felt it rude but I just am genuinely curious. I hope you do not find this line of questioning crass or rude…” She quickly added, putting her hands up in a preemptive placating gesture.
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 29th, 2020, 2:35 am

Sunberth. Moritz had heard it mentioned a few times, but did not know much about the city. Now that she mentioned more about it, it did not seem... Good. Least not as nice or good as Lhavit. Lhavit of course was a city all about balance, with rules and laws and enforcement of those laws. Ruled over by a goddess. Sunberth on the other hand, did not seem to work that way.

Her ideas on a job did make sense, to a degree, but Moritz was unsure if he fully agreed with the logic. Yes she could work longer hours, but any movement of an object or such thing would mean a drain on her soulmist and powers. Unless she had a ready supply of soulmist on hand to replenish her when some was used it would be possible she would end up drained and unable to do anything. Also with most jobs involving interacting with people, how would most people feel about a ghost serving their drink or some such thing?

"Maybe. Though I think it would be a bit more complicated than that. I mean what if you needed to do something taxing, which strained your soulmist. Either you would need some fresh to revive you, or you could end up drained and unable to do much of anything. And if that happened unexpectedly, well that could go poorly at a job. And my family are Spiritists, so I'm used to ghosts. But most people aren't. So filling a job that interacts with a customer directly, I could also see that being a problem."

Noting one thing the woman had noted, Moritz realized he still did not know one thing about her. Why did she cling to life, or the half life unlife as a ghost, rather than passing on?

"Speaking of that, what is it that you are wanting to do? What is your goal? You mentioned needing money, or it being useful for your plan or for what you wanted to do down the line, but what is that? I mean you have held on as a ghost, you must have something you desire or want to do. What is that? I'm curious, perhaps it is something I could help with."

At her comment on his mother, Moritz smiled. A rare thing for the boy, to give genuine grin.

"Ah, no, I don't think then you know my mother well from what I have said. I don't think I am much like either of my parents. I think I have learned from their mistakes, and am my own person in that regard. She is not the type to do something for nothing. In my experience even if she seems to be doing so, if you look deeper she had a ulterior motive or something she is getting out of it. I don't think she's one to do something just to help someone. At least not without expecting someone to see and to have it added to her name. But then like I said, ulterior motive. For her the family comes first, even if it is to the detriment of others. Even if another option that would also serve the common good but not help her family as much, she would choose the family. So you were probably right the first time, she is likely getting favors in exchange for the soulmist."

The thought of doing that made sense, and was likely common practice among Spiritists, but Moritz was unsure how he felt about such things. Was it right? Was it wrong? He was unsure. But knew that just because many other people did it, that did not make it right and good.

Hearing of Alice's attempt at partial materializing was interesting, and Moritz ponder it for a bit as she described it.

"That is interesting. So you think it is harder, because your normal and natural use of materializing is with your whole body. I wonder if you continued to practice partial usage if you would get better, or if it was only bad because it was your first time. But I would think it would be less draining on your soulmist than a full bodied materialization, so there is still that too consider."

"That is too bad. Maybe someone should make a school there. In Lhavit the city runs the school, or funds it in part, I believe. For older students you must pay, but for younger students up to a certain age it is free for everyone in the city for certain basic lessons. You know, writing, reading, math, and a few other things. Things any proper citizen should know, or that they want to have know. Plus the one extra class before you graduate, to learn about one of the trade skills the school offers."

As she asked another question, worded in what Moritz felt was a somewhat odd way, he realized the woman did not know he was a kelvic. Where kelvic common in Sunberth? Did she know what a kelvic was? Moritz was unsure, once more lacking knowledge due to his somewhat sheltered life and upbringing in Lhavit. He had never traveled to other places, seen new people, or gone on a voyage. He was unsure he wanted to do any of those things, but still... The option surely was out there.

"Uh... Physically. Maybe both, that is what I'm unsure on. I know I age faster physically, as I'm a kelvic, but I'm unsure if that means I age faster mentally or not. Are you familiar with those, kelvic? I'm not just as this, I can also change into my other body, as an Okomo. And I seem to age as my Okomo side does. I'll be two years old come this coming first of spring. How old do I look to be? And my hair matches my pelt, its normal for an Okomo. I didn't do anything with it."

"I didn't know you could sense that through possession. But I suppose it makes sense. I am not just one or the other, I am both, even if I only inhabit one at a time. Though I would advise against shifting me willing nilly if you possess me again. I need to undress beforehand, or else I risk destroying my clothes. And if I do it to often, shift back and forth, I will need to rest and eat something to get my energy back. It can be draining to shift too often, though it happens all at once."

As he finished talking Moritz and Alice rounded a corner, and he heard the sounds of dishware and eating and talking. Another few steps and he saw the restaurant in question.

"Ah, this must be it."

The Cantina was an odd place. Open iron gates leading down a hallway. No ceiling, leaving the building open to the air. There was however cloth stretched across the top to give shade to those underneath from the sun, but still letting light in. Wooden chairs and tables, many with people at them and eating food. Looking around Moritz did not see any indication on seating, and so headed along with Alice to find an empty table. Once he found one, covered in clothe like the others, he pulled out a seat to let Alice appear to sit without passing through it, and pushing it in should she take the offered seat. Then he would go around the table and seat himself.

WC: 1,247
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alice Weaver on November 29th, 2020, 4:08 am

Damn. Those were some very relevant points about working a job as a ghost that she had neglected to take into account. She would run out of energy to manipulate the world and what people would want to be waited on or work with a dead person? That would be sure to unnerve a few people. She guessed she forgot to take into account the superstition about ghosts when she was with Moritz. He seemed so calm and composed when interacting with her. She forgot that most didn’t willingly spend time around ghosts if they could help it. That was very much not the norm she had to remind herself. He then continued on and threw a question her way, one that was unexpected and sent her mind racing.

Why was I hanging on? Why not pass on? And he offered his help in completing my goal. Oh, dear. Do I give him the full truth or a fake story? I feel the actual truth is a bit...crazy? ‘Oh, I died unfairly so am trying to find a way to return to the realm of the living out of spite. Also, I am deathly afraid of the other side!’ yeah sure. That would give over just great… Half-truths, half-truths are a good compromise Her internal thoughts collected and prepared, she quickly hid the hitch in her step, continuing to smoothly glide beside him.

“Well, as you are well aware I’m sure, ghosts don’t have happy endings. Hence the reason we choose to become a ghost. But unlike some others, I have people I left behind. I wish to be reunited with them and live out a life to the fullest.” She partially lied. She did feel awful leaving out the other very important bit that, in all honesty, she was afraid. Afraid of the void that awaited her in the cycle. She wished to spend more time on this side with so many interesting people and places that were unfairly ripped away from her. It was crazy to be so afraid and so selfish to want to continue on, hence why she kept that bit to herself. She doubted she would reveal that to anyone but herself…

“Anyways!” She quickly dove into what he said about his mother. “That seems just like what a mother would do. Her family is the most important thing to her so it makes sense she would prioritize it. And besides everyone has an ulterior motive even if they don’t think it there always is one.”

“I would assume less of my body would consume less of my soulmist, yes.”

“You are quite lucky to have that opportunity. I hope you take, and it seems you do, your education seriously. You have an opportunity I dare say many would kill for.” A slight bit of longing crept into her voice. Mortiz then went on to explain that he wasn’t a human at all. He was instead a race called a Kelvic! A species that had the ability to shift back and forth between animal forms though it destroyed their clothes and took energy to shift back and forth. Interesting. At his age, she blinked.

“Two?! You are only two? You look as if you are ten summers and speak as if you are a full-fledged adult! No wonder you took offense to me calling you a child if kelvics age that fast. I was very wrong in assuming your age in the grand scheme of things.” After she had finished her shocked outburst they rounded a corner and their destination appeared in front of them. Wrought irons gates lead into a building open to the air, the only barrier being a cloth covering to provide some element of shade. They both approached a table and before she could wrap the chair in soulmist to pull it out, Moritz beat her to it. The gentleman-liked to act pulled a slight smile to her face as she did her best to ‘sit’ in the chair and appear as normal as she could. Waiting for him to take a seat and with a tiny bit of nervousness while waiting for him to react to what was said during the walk.
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 29th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Moritz was many things, logical and complete in his thinking were both prominent among those things. He tended to overthink if anything, but also thought things over and considered them fast. Which meant he was often good at thinking out outcomes and other perspectives before other people did or could. He did his best to be fully logical, which meant tossing aside assumptions and preconceived notions and only thinking based on what was confirmed. Sometimes this resulted in odd ideas, but at others it meant he came up with good ideas others would not think of.

He also tended to have an odd train of thought, one that was logical to him but often seemed to come out of nowhere to others. The connection was there if looked for, and made perfect sense to Moritz as a linear progression, but to others it seemed odd and confusing. Random.

Listening to her answer, Moritz was struck by the oddness of it. Many things she brought up did not make sense, particularly to his logical mind used to feeling for and finding faults or missing bits. Absences in stories, uncompleted chains of events, statements that either needed more explaining or were missing info or were false. False. Moritz then considered that it was possible Alice was lying to him. He had sprung a question on her suddenly, and she had given an immediate answer. Logically that meant if she was lying she did not have time to work out her story in advance. Which meant it was more likely to have issues, inconsistencies, and failings within it. So far he had felt she had been honest enough, except in a few cases where she lied in an effort to help or protect him, something he firmly did not need. She was already professed her issues with his views on the truth or lying, and they did not fully agree with Moritz own views. She had seemed to come back his way somewhat on that front after realizing and admitting she was lying for the very reason Moritz said lies were commonly made... But was that just an act? A means of gaining his trust?

He did not think she was a total liar. She had not tried anything untoward while possessing him. Of course, that could just mean she had bigger plans for him, or wanted him for something later. He could make her soulmist, be a source of energy for her, and so staying on his good side while also honing her skills was a good idea. It was in her self interest to make him like her. But was she lying now? Moritz could not say for sure, but he felt certain something was missing from her story, and that it was not by accident.

"Really. You left people behind? Were are you from originally? You said your in Sunberth now, but also said you were bored there and had nothing to do. Which makes me think you either don't care for the people there, or your family isn't there. But if your goal is to spend time with the people you left behind, your family, why not spend time with them? Or go to where they are, if not in Sunberth?"

"I mean, if living with those people is boring, not of interest, it seems to indicate your interests lay elsewhere... Just a thought, a logical supposition really. I could be wrong about that. Possibly."

Alice seemed keen to change the subject, something that Moritz was learning was suspicious. He felt a bit like he was interrogating he ghost, poking at her words and checking for lies, which in truth to a degree he was. The more he spoke to people, the more he got a sense of lies, the more he began to see trends. People often made a statement and then tried to change the subject when a sensitive topic they did not want to talk about came up. People often lied. Which logically meant when something they did not want to talk about came up, it was feasible they would lie and then try to change the subject to another thing. But knowing this now, having seen it several times and realized it for what it was he was keenly aware and ready to instead pounce on that thing.

"Yes, my mother does care about her family first. But when it is to the direct detriment of others, particularly when it doesn't have to be, or when it would not harm her family perhaps only lessen their gain, then I do not believe that is right. By that logic someone could do anything. Kill an entire family, take all their possessions, and move into their home. If one was able to do that and get away with it, then it would clearly be better for you, but quite bad for another. But that sees it as an either or thing, either kill or do not. But the truth of the matter is there would be many other choices, ones which could be mutually beneficial to both families, rather than just one."

Having turned from his interrogation for a moment, now Moritz seemed to be questioning things on a moral philosophy level. Considering right or wrong, the greater good, and the impact of ones actions.

"Its like with anything. Someone might say the only choice at a crossroad is to go left or go right. But that isn't true. You could stop there. You could go back. You could forge a new path. There are many choices one can make, beyond just yes or no. Lies or truth. Yes, often people have ulterior motives, I suppose even myself, though I try to make my motive clear. But sometimes a persons ulterior motive is simply to be a good person, to make a decision that makes as much good for as many people as they can without making anyone suffer, and to think through your actions and their impacts. Is that so wrong? And can you say that if people lived like that you would disagree with them or their choices?"

As the conversation continued Moritz kept his same matter of fact tone, even as the subjects went from lighter to heavier. Such was his way, and it made it troublesome to try and figure out what if anything Moritz took as serious, and what he was more or less focused on in a discussion.

"Almost two, I will be two come spring. So not quite yet. And now that we are here, I think the original purpose of our talking further was about our discussion on truth and lies. You had said you wanted to discuss it further. But did you ever explain your view on that? I think I made my basic view clear. People either lie for themselves, because they will get something out of it directly or indirectly, or because they think lesser of the other person. But either of those end badly, by whatever name you call it, and in the end are both to serve the person lying and never the person lied to."

WC: 1,192
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next