Solo Fresh faces

Karsynwa continues his investigation

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Fresh faces

Postby Karsynwa on December 1st, 2020, 2:37 am

31st of Fall, 520 AV

Ever since Morwen had abandoned Mizahar, the seasons had been unpredictable. Destructive. This fall was no different. Following a blisteringly hot summer, the gales of Fall blew much of the rich topsoil away from their farms and knocked down a few of the trees in the orchard that had been unable to survive the long summer. Then a storm came. A dry storm that lashed out with lightning and high winds that came screaming across the cliff face. While most of the city managed to scrape by with only minor damage, two places experienced the brunt of the storm’s wrath. Raven’s Perch, and the grain fields the Akalak’s used to supplement their stocks. Lightning struck the Raven’s Perch in such a way that part of its arched roof collapsed. Several of its patron’s were injured in the accident, but fortunately the fire was able to be put out before it could do much damage. The same could not be said for the grain fields where the lightning also struck.

There a fire had time to grow before anyone noticed it so the focus had to be on containing it rather than putting it out. All hands that could be summoned in time were called to help with the fire, piling up large mounds of dirt in order to break its momentum. The focus at first was on protecting the orchards, then on saving what was left of the fields. In the end they managed to preserve their orchards while saving a little under half of the fields. Unfortunately the grain had yet to be harvested so that crop was lost to them. It put them in quite a pinch for their resources, so Karsynwa was sent out to survey the damage first hand on behalf of the Kuvay’Nas. The other members of his squad were likewise sent to other areas to scout out the devastation in order for a comprehensive report to be made.

The mood was somber out in the fields as he stood before a swathe of blackened land. Smoke hung heavily in the air. Karsynwa wrapped the bottom of his hood over his nose but still the acrid stench made it through the cloth. Ahead of him farmers simply stared at what was left of their land. He did not want to talk with those despondent souls, not yet anyways. Instead his eyes panned over towards the orchard, and his feet soon followed.

It looked to him to have been a near run thing for the orchard as the mound of earth that had been piled between it and the blackened field was uncomfortably close to their trees. People were working that mound now, trying to settle it back into the ditch it had come from. Others were walking between the trees, gently tending the orchard. He realized then that he didn’t know much about farming or growing things. His studies had always been of a more martial bent, even when studying things like language. It had always been about how to use it like a sword instead of using it to create. That wasn’t a difference he was used to acknowledging but one brought about by Arrel’s recent death. For the first time he felt mortal, and there was a great fear that arose from feeling that.

WC - 551
Last edited by Karsynwa on December 1st, 2020, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tukant - Common
Karsynwa
Player

Words: 239923
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2020, 7:24 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fresh faces

Postby Karsynwa on December 1st, 2020, 2:38 am

Date, Season, Year

Finaewa thought little of his musings. His brother was of the mind that death was nothing special. Just an inevitability that could be avoided so long as he kept his instincts sharp. Karsynwa found that reasoning cold. Heartless even concerning it was about his former mentor. He preferred to dwell on the life Arrel had lived rather than what he had become in death. A shade of his former self. They both struggled on what to do with him now.

From the orchard a woman approached, and Karsynwa withdrew from those thoughts, focusing on the familiar face. The woman he had taken to the medical center. She wore clothes that were in a fine condition now if a bit plain. She wore a simple white dress with a light blue brocade pattern at the bottom. It faired nicely with her long, dark red hair and the golden horns that sprouted from just behind her temples. Her copper skin seemed to almost glitter in the sunlight. He almost wanted to reach out and touch her when she favored him with a slight smile.

“Hello there.” He said as she approached, his eyes meeting the glowing amber of her irises.

“I’m afraid we never got the chance to properly meet.” She said, her voice soft as she extended a hand. It was small in his though she was almost of a height with him. Gingerly he squeezed it before letting it drop between them. Trouble knit his brow as he remembered he’d asked the medical center to notify him when she had been released. She noticed this, and favored him with a concerned glance.

“Something wrong?” She asked.

Karsynwa shook his head. “Its nothing. I am just glad you are safe. My name is Karsynwa by the way.” He said, tipping his head forward as he said his name.

From the look on her fine features he could tell she was not satisfied with his answer but she let it go at that. “My name is Arabele, and thank you for that. The doctors said that it had been a slow acting poison. Without you there, I’m afraid I might have died on that tavern floor.” Arabele said, her voice genial as she spoke. Lines of worry still creased her brow but her smile was as bright as ever. Karsynwa regretted putting her so ill at ease. This business with Arrel had left him unsorted and now there was the matter of this poison to discuss. Somehow, this didn’t seem the best place for it.

“So did they grab you to help out with the orchard or did you work here already?” Karsynwa asked as he gestured around them.

Arabele laughed. It was a sweet, carefree sound to Karsynwa’s ears that mollified him in a manner. “The former I’m afraid. Barely out of the bed when they decided to sort me out to help with the Orchard. Not that I mind now I’m here and the hard work has been done. This place is beautiful.” Arabele said as her eyes flicked up to the tree branches overhead. Karsynwa smiled.

WC - 517
Tukant - Common
Karsynwa
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fresh faces

Postby Karsynwa on December 1st, 2020, 2:38 am

Date, Season, Year

A bird chattered overhead only it was actually a Copperin when he looked up. The strange foxlike creature looked at him with its large eyes, cocked its head and then promptly flew away. Arabele giggled. She was much more cheery apart from that tavern Karsynwa couldn’t help but to notice. Again a dark cloud threatened his thoughts as his mind wondered why a woman like this would find herself in such a place. There were still so many pieces missing to this puzzle. Karsynwa met her eyes once more.

“Well if you are hungry, I was thinking about lunch and wouldn’t mind the company.” Karsynwa said, carefully watching her now.

“That sounds lovely, but I don’t know.” Arabele looked around at the orchard. Karsynwa put on his warmest smile as pulled the cloak off from his face.

“I’m sure they won’t mind if you take a little break, and if they ask, I’ll just say I needed your help with something. They’ll understand.” Karsynwa said, and turned sideways to gesture to the landgates that loomed not far off from their present position.

There was a brief indecisiveness in her expression before she smoothed that away by running her hand through her dark red hair. “I suppose I could eat, and you did save me.” She said, beaming at him for a heartbeat before she walked towards him. Karsynwa took a moment to register that before he lead the way, choosing a place that was a decent ways off, but hopefully not too far away. He wanted time to talk.

“What did you have you do with the orchard?” Karsynwa asked, trying to fill the silence as he worked out how exactly what he wanted to know about her. Honestly, his mind was distracted somewhat by her beauty so he had to look away in order to focus his thoughts. Still, he could hear the smile in her voice and couldn’t keep his eyes pulled away for long.

“Clearing dead branches, picking up rotten fruit, raking up dried leaves, that sort of stuff. I suppose along with being a potential fire hazard it was just stuff that needed to get done with the orchard.” Arabele shrugged, folding her hands carefully in front of her as they walked through the land gates. Karsynwa was studying her posture when she looked up at him.

“What about you? Were you there to help as well?” She asked, meeting his eyes squarely. He felt almost caught in that ruddy gaze, and forgot himself for a tick.

“In a way. I was there to see the extent of the damage to the fields and check to see if any more help needed to be procured.” Karsynwa said carefully once he had caught himself, and she took the slight hesitation with a frown that quickly resolved itself into a neutral expression. Curious control of her features he noted allowing his eyes to wonder to the city that opened up before them. He found the path down they wanted, and took it while glancing at her occasionally.

WC - 509
Tukant - Common
Karsynwa
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fresh faces

Postby Karsynwa on December 15th, 2020, 5:59 am

The Blue Bull was close to the land gates so that’s where they went. They took their light lunch outside on the steps to enjoy the weather. After the poor weather from the last few days, it was nice to see clear skies for a change. Between them was a platter with a simple spread of fruit, olives and cheese. Karsynwa rolled a ball of soft cheese between his fingers before popping it into his mouth. A silence had settled between them since the food had arrived. He had almost forgotten his reason for bringing her here after their conversation had lapsed into a more casual air. Now his mind was coming back to that point as his eyes focused on her face.

“How did you know Arrel?” Karsynwa asked, putting it bluntly as he remembered he had a job to do. A responsibility to the Kuvay’Nas and his friend to find out if there was any truth to this poisoning. If the question surprised her, she did not show it on her face. She made a point about finishing a plum before responding.

“He came to me soon after my fall. Arrel wanted to know if I had found a place to stay, work to do, things like that. Then someone came in with information for Arrel so he left.. That was the last I saw of him.” She said, her eyes lingering on his. Karsynwa chewed on the inside of his lip gently as he worked that out in his mind. It was in line with what the man in the tavern had said, however it seemed the owner had been holding back on him. There had been no mention about this man before which he found curious.

“So you fell recently then?” Karsynwa said, following up as he raised his eyebrow slightly. He had learned a few things about the Ethaefal over the years. Particularly about their strange ability to shape shift with the day night cycle, and about their general physical characteristics. About their fall however the details were vague. These other worldy people simply appeared full grown in a body of water. It must be as disorienting for them as it was for his people to find a place for them once they appear. Perhaps that was why they came so beautiful he thought cynically as he watched her delicate features puzzle through her response.

“Yes. I am fortunate I suppose for I was found quickly in that cold sea.” Arabele said, her soft voice trailing off as she picked up a olive. “I don’t suppose though I was the fish that those sailors were expecting to catch.” She smirked, and Karsynwa couldn’t help a small smile of his own. He could almost imagine the surprise on the sailor’s faces as they fished someone like her out of the water. Finaewa was more suspicious. His brother noted the hardness of her gaze, and the stiffness of her posture. Karsynwa reminded him about the nature of their conversation and his position with the Kuvay’Nas, all good reasons for her current attitude. Additionally it was hard to tell what was normal for one of her kind. One that had just recently fallen.

“I imagine so. I hope you have found your stay here pleasant so far.” Karsynwa said. His eyes softened somewhat. It was hard to think her capable of any sort of subterfuge. Her eyes were too open and honest, her face too kind with its angles. He realized he was being biased though he didn’t think it much mattered here. There was no way she had anything to do with his mentor’s death. At least if there was nothing more that happened between them. He supposed he still would ask around to make sure that they hadn’t interacted beyond that, but he knew in his gut he wouldn’t find anything that contradicted her statement. Though he couldn’t be sure why that was aside from the fact that he felt he had a pretty good ear for detecting deception.

That kind face now was working over his words, concentrating on something beyond the olive pinched between her index finger and thumb. He watched as the hardness of her amber eyes mellowed. There was a slight crease above her brow, delicately curving across to the left. Her nose crinkled slightly before her eyes met his.

“I have.” Arabele said, hesitation evident in her voice before she continued. “Though it has not been without its trails. It is not easy starting from nothing.” From the way those last words sounded coming out from her mouth, he could feel that she did not like being put into such a position. That she was a strong soul not keen on having to depend on the generosity of others. Finaewa wanted to laugh in her face just to see how she responded. Karsynwa recoiled from the notion, and focused on reigning his brother in, worried that he might do something they both would regret.

“That it is not. If you are looking for an apprenticeship, you might try the message square. Either you could find someone who needs one, or you can advertise your talents.” Karsynwa said, feeling a little better when he saw her face brighten up.

“Oh really? Where can I find it?” Arabele asked, pulling out her map before unrolling it across her lap. Pushing the platter back, Karsynwa moved to sit closer to her as he leaned over to look at the map.

“It is quite close actually, just down from the gate here.” Karsynwa said, pointing out a location across from the Gideon Arena. Her hand brushed against his own as she put a finger on the space. Reflexively, he withdrew his hand to rest across his lap, but couldn’t help a pleased grin.

“Thank you, I’ll be sure to try that.” Arabele said, her eyes still studying the map as her finger traced the way back to the Blue Bull. Karsynwa took the opportunity to stand up, and dust off the back of his leathers. He’d stretched this out long enough, and he still had other work to do.

“Consider it my own thank you for answering my questions today. You have given me something to work off of.” Karsynwa said. He was actually pleased that he had a solid lead to work off for a change, even if that meant backtracking to the tavern to try to find out who the man was. Suppose he could ask Arrel, but he didn’t have a clue about where he could find the ghost. Still, he had more to go off of than when he started which was saying something.

“Happy to help. I hope I see you again.” Arabele said, looking up at him with a warm smile. After returning the expression, Karsynwa turned back towards the gate to pick up where he left off with the field.

WC - 1,152
Tukant - Common
Karsynwa
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fresh faces

Postby Karsynwa on December 15th, 2020, 6:00 am

The rest of his investigation of the farms was short lived. There wasn’t much to learn beyond what had already been established. It had been a natural fire, and one they had been fortunate to have caught when they did. Unfortunately much of their grain harvest had been consumed by the blaze. The council would have to convene about this soon and Karsynwa wasn’t opposed to sitting on the meeting when the time came. A member of the Kuvay’Nas or two usually sat in on the public meetings to keep the rest of the lodge informed. As he grew older, he found he didn’t mind such an activity half as much as he did when he was younger. Perhaps that was because he had been gone so long from the city that he missed everything about it. He certainly found himself spending restless nights pacing the city while steeped in memories.

He moved on to pick up his next task which took him deeper into the city. Back to that hole in the wall tavern that gave him a distinctly foul impression. Whether that was because of its grungy appearance or the proprietor, he couldn’t decide. His thoughts were too tied up at the moment with what had happened in the tavern the last time he was there. An there was always the possibility that he was imagining these gut feelings of his. He hadn’t exactly come to the tavern with a clear head.

Karsynwa liked to think he had at least some clarity now. There was still that ache and the anxiety that Arrel’s death had left in him. Likely they would stay with him for a while yet. Would he ever get over it? He didn’t like thinking that way. It detracted from his focus which felt razor sharp at the moment so far as this investigation was concerned. He had a lead, and right now that would have to satisfy.

He didn’t bother knocking on the Rat Hole’s door. Simply pushed it inward, letting it creaking open all the way before he stepped across the threshold. The air was greasy with smoke making Karsynwa suspect it was probably poorly ventilated. That, or the owner was trying to cover a smell up. Odd thing to want to do within the confines of the city. Karsynwa took another cautious step inside, eyes alighting on a familiar figure behind the bar.

“Curious discussion I just had. One of your patrons, that Ethaefal that had the bad reaction you remember? Well she remarked that he left with a man who had information. An fortunately I remembered how good you were with faces the last time we met, so I was wondering if you might be able to point him out to me?” Karsynwa asked as he walked up to the bar. He was trying to be convincing, making firm eye contact while he spoke. While he thought he had done a decent job framing his question, he could see the reaction as it crossed the man’s face. It wasn’t what he necessarily wanted to see, but it was hard to mistake the amusement the man wore on his features as anything else.

“Anything to help the Kuvay’Nas. Now I don’t think the young man left a name, but I can tell you he was a human. Odd taste in dress, he favored dark colors that contrasted with his pale skin.” Tom said, counting off his fingers as he rattled off the attributes of the man. Frustration started to build within him as Finaewa remarked this man was playing him for a fool. Gritting his teeth, he sucked in a steadying breath through his nose when he caught a glance from Tom towards the corner of the room.

“Anything else?” Karsynwa asked as his eyes followed to see a man lurking there. He didn’t have a drink, or look like he was there for a pleasant chat with the proprietor. In fact, the man only had eyes for him. Eyes that scrutinized his every move. His eyes settled on Tom once more though he kept an ear out for the other fellow now. Tom favored him with a disarming grin as their eyes met.

“In fact I do, but maybe we could do a little trade.” Tom said, winking slightly. When Karsynwa narrowed his eyes at him, the man held up his hands to pat the air inoffensively. “There, there now, I’m just curious about the welfare of my friend.”

“Your friend?” Karsynwa asked, his lips tightening into a thin line. It was getting harder to think with Finaewa badgering him. Constantly adding his own thoughts and opinions on everything that was said. That was easy enough to handle when they were in line with his own, but Karysnwa felt more confused than ever now. He had so many feelings tied up in this place it was hard to sort out up from down.

“Yes, the woman you left with. I like to consider all of my patrons as friends as I find I really get to know a person when they come to my establishment.” Tom said, with a smile that Karsynwa wanted to believe was genuine. He didn’t have time to argue the point as his brother became more restless. Realizing he was getting too agitated, he started seeking ways out of the conversation.

“Ah, she is doing fine now. Just recently left her helping out with the orchards. Now what do else do you know about this man?” Karsynwa asked, shifting so he faced the door at an angle, though he was obviously uncomfortable with the fact that this put his back to the man in the corner.

“That is good to hear, thank you for passing the news friend. Anyways, aside from the fact that the man has light blue eyes and a close cropped beard, he’s also been seen recently at the Mist residence. At least as of two days ago.” Tom said, still smiling that wide smile of his that showed off his well kept teeth. Karsynwa felt recognition upon hearing that name, though it had been many years since he had been to the location. Remembering faintly the older spiritist that had helped him as a child, he wondered what a mage wanted with Arrel, or why hadn’t Arrel mentioned this to him.

Forcing himself to relax, he offered a stiff nod towards Tom. “Thank you for the information. If you see him before I do, point him in my direction please. I’ll make sure you are rewarded for your effort. I’m staying over at the Cora apartments.” Karsynwa said slowly as he puzzled over the information.

“Of course. You have a pleasant rest of your day sir.” Tom said, and with that, Karsynwa left the smoky tavern. Outside his head felt a little clearer with the blustery fresh air blowing across his face. Still, the turmoil simmered beneath. He decided quickly that he needed to go somewhere to relax, and then pick up the investigation later. The Mist was not going anywhere, and he didn’t have a way of finding Arrel anyways. So with that decided, he decided to wrap up the day in a warm bath. After all, much had been learned today.

WC - 1,210
Tukant - Common
Karsynwa
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets