Completed Dining With The Dead [Moritz]

The two pick up where they left off.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Dining With The Dead [Moritz]

Postby Alice Weaver on November 29th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Moritz's response confirmed one of Alice’s fears. He did not believe the entire story, it was too rushed, too cobbled together, and conflicted with prior information she had given just moments before. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. She should have predicted that something like this would happen eventually. Someone would get curious and ask why she was hanging around and she should have had a good believable excuse. Tracking a lost lover, avenging her death, something solid and easily believable but she instead tried to play fast and loose, keying the young spiritist into some of her motives because she did quite like them. Stupid and foolhardy, which would only make her life more difficult later down the line.

“I was originally from Syliras. And you are correct my family and life aren’t in Sunberth. I left because I don’t want to be a ghost for my family. I wish to be Alice and it's quite easy to be caught up on me being dead. My travels are only temporary, I hope until I figure something out that works for everyone.” She could hope that would be enough to tide Moritz over until she could get her thoughts and story in line but she doubted that. The endless curiosity she found endearing was quickly revealing itself to be a problem.

But he seemed to shift quickly enough away from her weak story and jump into talking about his mother which spun into a quite philosophical view of morality and the like. The more he spoke about his mother the less of a decent person she seemed. Willing to commit great sacrifice on others even when it wasn’t necessary to just gain a tiny bit more. Alice did find Mortitz’s idea on multiple paths greatly attractive. Never was someone limited to two or fewer options there was always another path that one could take. She had to believe in that as well since she was trying to take a different path than many others before her. As for his comment on that, what if someone’s ulterior motive was to just be a good person? Would anyone truly disagree with them living their life like that?

“If someone's ulterior motive was just to simply be the best person they could be, help those around them, and make sure their choices cause the least amount of suffering...I think the world would be much better off. But alas I don’t think that'll ever happen. There might be a few but not enough to make a difference because they will be taken advantage of and abused out of that line of thinking. A few bad apples spoil the bunch so to say. A noble cause, however, that is a nice way to think about life.”

Then Mortiz got to essentially the heart of the matter of why they met up again. To continue their discussion on truth. Ironic because she just started their conversation off with a lie… He gave a brief outline of what he believed that people lied because they either think less of the person or seek to gain something out of it.

“The truth is such a fickle thing isn't it?” She mused reaching down and brushed a hand across a fork, coating it in a bit of her shroud, picked it up and spun it between her materialized fingers like one would roll a pencil, gathering her thoughts. “Truth has so many forms and an individual's truth varies from one person to another greatly. People try to distill what the truth is through science, math, and repeated study but I feel truth is much more individualized. Like art or magic in that regard. You could hand two people the same tools, and give the same instructions, such as to carve a bird, and you would get two different carvings. Perhaps one would carve a duck while the other a passing songbird. Both completed the task, both carved a bird, both are fundamentally the same yet not.Lying is adapting yourself to someone's truth, you try to match what you think their carving would be. It can be done for a variety of reasons such as softening a blow, giving encouragement to push someone past their limits, or just to avoid danger.”

“An example of lying for encouragement would be if you’ve ever tried to do something or learn something such as maths yet you were doing terribly at it. Instead of telling you the truth that you are terrible at maths and by extension crush your spirit the teacher instead lies. Twists their truth to yours and creates a new truth by saying ‘You are doing great!’ --the truth you want to hear-- but follows it with “but here are some issues that you could work on’ --what their truth is--. That didn’t seem like a lie did it not? But it was. They wrapped their truth in your truth to soften the blow. Lying is everywhere because if one never adapted to another’s truth nothing would ever get done. We don’t like to admit it but we are all imperfect and hate more than anything to be reminded of it.”

“I am not trying to argue that people don’t lie because they don’t think someone is lesser than them or the fact that they stand to gain something from it. I am just saying that lying does have its place and is very prevalent because people’s internal truths are inherently different and we would struggle to work together otherwise.”
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Words: 184933
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2020, 11:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on December 1st, 2020, 3:18 am

Moritz once more found himself unsure if he should trust someones words or not. Having found her words odd and possibly false before, it was extra difficult to trust further one on a subject she had saw fit to lie on. And as with other things, lies broke trust and made people question if other things were true or not.

She was from Syliras, and wanted to spend time with her family, but didn't want to spend time with her family, and so was in Sunberth...

"That... doesn't really make sense to be honest. Have you thought through the whole being a ghost thing? I mean, it doesn't really sound like it. I mean, if you stop being a ghost, its not like that's the end. I don't dislike ghosts, but at the same time... I wish they weren't here. I mean if your here, it means you are holding onto something, something keeping you from passing on, right? You said that thing for you is your family, but because you are a ghost you don't want to spend time with your family. So... How is that supposed to work? I said I'd like to help you, but I've got to know what you really want to do. Seems like what you've said so far is an impossibility. And what happens if you take to long, and your family dies before you see them. How will you resolve things then?"

At her comment on his motives and thoughts Moritz smiled, shaking his head.

"That is like when two people with weapons drawn meet. If neither put it away, a fight is bound to happen. Someone has to be first, if peace is to be had. Trust but don't be foolish, and be ready to defend yourself if you agree and go first, but still someone always has to go first in those types of things. If everyone though that way, that it would never happen, that some people would ruin it, then that thought in and of itself would be the thing stopping it from happening. If you want to make things better, someone has to go first. I feel like an easy first step to that is to go first, to be a good person. At worst no one else follows, and you've still added your good into the world. If better, then maybe someone else will see your actions and follow your lead. Either way, the world is better off for you going first."

Frowning again, Moritz shook his head at some of Alice's thoughts. He clearly did not agree with some of what she said, and in truth did not agree with quite a few bits. He found if nothing else gaps in her logic and reasoning, gaps which needed filling in and made her come to bad conclusions.

"The truth is the truth, for any given situation. If you ask two people the same question, and get two different answers, it simply means the situation has changed not the truth. If someone asked each of us our name, we would give different answers, because we are different people in different situations. But neither has lied. We are simply not in the same situation, and so the truth does not require the same answer. If I pick up a red apple, the truth is it is red. No matter who picks it up, it is red. That is a fact. But if you took that same apple and put it in a dark room with no light, is it still red? You can't say the truth is changing, it is just the situation. What you just called lying, I believe that is fundamentally not what lying is. It is just a easy excuse to seem to explain a lie of fact, when it is not a lie to then make other lies okay."

"You said you would lie to encourage someone. But I believe that is a bad premise. For instance, what happens if someone points out your lie of encouragement? If that happens, which is likely if someone did a bad job and knows it, then not only will they lose trust in your word, but also feel worse than if you had told the truth up front. why not just encourage, but without lying? Such as.... Putting in a good effort, or keeping at it, or not giving up. Those are all good things, which would not require a lie by saying you did something wrong. "

"Your way, your line of reasoning for lying, is flawed, because it assumes people are foolish. That they will not see through your lie. That they do not already know they are doing wrong. That they are not doing other things that are worth value, even if not succeeding. If any of those are true, then your so called good lie could do more harm than good. And once you have told one lie, will they believe you next time when you say you did something correct, or did a good job? The prior lie will bring into question the truth of all that came before and after. A liar is known to lie, and so once known as a liar more lies are expected."

Holding up his hands, Moritz looked down at his palms for a moment, examining them.

"We are flawed. Yes. But denying those flaws does not fix them. Addressing and overcoming them does. A truth wrapped in a lie is not sweetened, it is tainted by the lie, making people question the truth you said. If I act on your supposition, then I am thinking less of people, trying to baby them for not being able to handle things. Which is the same problem I brought up with lies to begin with. And as I said before, that is never for the other person, it is for you."

"I know not everyone is good, I understand that. But i think everyone has the capacity to be good. And I think if people see one person being good, most, or enough, will follow suit. I would rather hope for good, and fall short, than expect bad and not be disappointed by finding just that. Because the problem there is, it gives no option or chance for those who are good, who do want to hear the truth of things and improve. If you force someone into bad, you can only get bad."

Pausing for a moment, Moritz met Alice's gaze again with his square eyes.

"I think the real question is, why you lie. Because you think people will not understand, and so do not give them the chance to do so. Or because you think people will understand, and do not want them to, and so you lie."

WC: 1,133
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Alice Weaver on December 2nd, 2020, 1:12 am

Moritz once again did not believe her and as she felt that this storyline was quickly going downhill, she was being a bit two-faced really. Hiding her own motives and as she tried to tell Mortiz a bit of what he would want to hear, very ironic considering their current topic. Most people would have just written off the fault in her logic as a ghost being a ghost. The poor lost and confused souls who can’t even make sense of why they are around. But didn’t work with someone who was training to become the middle man between those ‘poor and lost souls” and the world. It was quite frustrating and she found herself stuck between a rock and a hard place of her own design. What also hurt more was the fact that he seemed genuine in his want to help her in her goal, stating that he didn’t like that ghosts were around anyway.

“Is that why you became a Spiritist, Moritz? That you don’t like us spirits around and wish to see us gone? That’s very sweet of you. And I guess I’m being confusing because I am still fleshing out exactly how I would accomplish my goal. Ghost are no less inclined to poor spur of moment decisions either. I truly went to Sunberth looking for an easy place to practice and possibly find a body to...occupy. But I was quickly disillusioned of that. Anyways. I am figuring it out and pulling pieces of the puzzle together. I’ll clue you in when I have a more solid idea. No more poorly thought out ideas for me.”

His response to her idea that having an ulterior motive to be good and helpful will only lead to the person being abused out of having that notion was what she would have expected. Ever the idealist Moritz was turning out to be, but perhaps her death has just left her a bit jaded in hindsight. He spoke of the idea that two people must have initial trust and be ready to be the first to ‘lower the sword’ so to speak.

“Who really wants to be that first person, however? Who wants to take that risk of exposing their neck by letting their guard down. The world is a dangerous place and there are more predators than prey. But I do suppose you have added some good to the world with that first step. Syliras wasn’t built in a day after all. Maybe through small acts like that, you might convert a few minds but widespread it runs into issues of there are many people who are just out there for survival. Not that they are malicious just that they want to continue to live healthily and happily and lowering their guard to be ‘good’ jeopardizes their survival. Have you ever heard the phrase ‘mercy is for the strong?’ Only those that have the power can risk that chance of being nice for if it backfires they lose less than the poor widow down the street. Many things, like what you said, sound lovely on paper but die a horrible death out in the real world.”

And, unsurprisingly, he also disagreed with her stance on lying. Once again taking a very firm stance that lying was inherently bad and was nowhere near as good as the truth. She seemed to struggle with a response for a few moments, trying to resist the urge from saying that his age is what makes him unable to understand. He hasn’t moved about the world, been burned from telling the truth enough to understand when lying was applicable and when it was not. When the truth wasn’t needed in that very moment. All that mattered was getting some words out that wouldn’t hurt the other person dangerously on the edge.

“Lying is just another form of communication, Moritz. That is all there simply is to it. No one is thinking the other foolish or lesser than themselves. The apple is red. The apple is vermillion. Who is right? But who really cares? Both know what an apple is but one might just be closer to the ideal ‘truth’ of the color of an apple. It’s the way the world flows and everyone knows they do it so you watch out for it. And you can pick quite a bit of truth from someone’s lies anyway if you know what to look forward. You are very idealist Moritz, most young adults are. And that why I think I am struggling with this. I wish to preserve some of that passionate idealism without crushing it under the weight of the world. It seems like a weak response but this the World and its truth, and lack of it, is something that has to be learned and experienced. I don’t think I have ever met two people that could agree or even changed someone else mind on a topic like this. I won’t be able to change your mind and you won’t be able to change mind. We just believe in our own truth, false or no, too much.”

She finished with a sigh. Clearly not happy with what she managed to come up with but having to deal with it. The sigh was also tinged with exhaustion as a bit of her shroud was starting to wisp away revealing more and more of her etherealness every second.
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on December 7th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Moritz knew Alice was lying. What she was lying about, that he was less sure on. Why she was lying, he was also unsure of. But from what he had heard her say he was fairly certain she was lying.

This only seemed to magnify their topic of discussion, its importance, of truth and lies. If he could not trust what she said because she lied, then her lies.... Well they did not make much sense when trying to convince someone of something.

Shaking his head, Moritz looked at Alice.

"No, I became a ghost because my mother wanted me to. Its the family business. I told you before she is a spiritist, and the one who taught me. Well she also feels very strongly that I should follow in her steps, whether I want to or not. Maybe I would have chosen to become one anyway, if given the choice. But she never really gave me a choose, more so she just told me it was going to happen as soon as I was old enough to talk. I guess I'll never know what I would have picked, since I was not really given the choice."

Pausing for a moment, Moritz sat and thought before continuing.

"But now that I am one, I am going to use it as I see is right. And helping ghosts to pass on, to not need to be a ghost, that seems to be a pretty good way to use it. And something as important as the reason you are a ghost, the reason you are clinging to life... I mean, it seems hard to believe that could be something you haven't thought through all the way. If you didn't know it, didn't know why you still exist, would you?"

"No one wants to be the first, that's the point. But if someone doesn't take that first step, then forever things will stay the same with you at odds with the other person. Only through a minimum level of trust, a first step, can things change. Which is why its so important each person tries to be that person. And as I said, taking a first step at trust isn't the same as just dropping everything and exposing yourself as defenseless. Answer me this though, if you don't trust anyone, how will you ever find anyone to help you? To be an ally, to give you aid? You trusted me didn't you, at some minimal level? We both took a step there, and did not just assume and act upon the worst someone might be or do. Not trusting anyone is fine, but there are two problems with it. One, if you act only alone you will forever be alone. And two, should you ever find yourself in a bad spot, where you can't get yourself out of it by yourself, then you will have no one to help you. Those seem like two pretty big problems to me,"

Considering Alice's further words, Moritz thought some more on the idea. Some people were not bad, they just acted on their own survival. Moritz smiled, looking at Alice in the eyes again.

"That seems pretty simple. If someone only acts out of their own interest, their own survival, then make their survival and betterment tied to your survival and betterment. If you also act only to make things better for you, and not everyone, then helping someone is a problem. But if you act to help everyone, then helping someone else if helping yourself, and them helping you is them helping themselves. That's one of the reasons I'm learning how to fight. So I can help and protect others. But also so that its not worth it to others to try and do anything, that the risk outweighs the reward of starting something."

As Alice once more tried to explain the merits and reasons for lying Moritz listened. Listened, but disagreed. He did not begin to formulate his answer until Alice was done, wanting to fully consider her words and argument and not to blindly only consider his own thoughts and reasoning. Once she was done talking however, he considered and then began again.

"If someone told you that the way the world worked was that you should rob me, stab me in the gut, and leave me to bleed out, and to then give my things to them, would that make it true? Just because someone says something, does not make it true. Just because you are told something, does not make it true. Just because you have heard it said that is how things are done, does not make it true. None of those are based on fact, logic, or reasoning. Those are just things you have learned, have been told, and have accepted as true. I accepted nothing as true. And in so doing, have kept an open mind, and made my own decisions about how things work or should be done. I listen, I consider, I take advice, but I always consider them fully before blindly following how someone else does it."

"You have grown up lying, have grown accustomed to being told it is okay, and so have come to accept it. But that does not make it true. I have stated the facts of lying, of what it does, of the harms it can make. Of its alternatives. If you do not want to consider my words, I cannot force you. At the end of the day you make your choices, and I make mine. But as always, I ask you to consider. What is better. To only tell lies, to easily say them, to expect them and to only see them. In which case, everything stays the same. Or to hope for something better, to hope for more, and to try to make that a reality. To take that first step, to allow it to happen. If you fail, nothing if worse off. But if you succeed, then things are better. I would think the latter with the chance of change, of making things better, over the confirmed way of keeping things the same, would be preferable."

As the two of them spoke Moritz noticed something about Alice physically or at least visually changing. Where she had before seemed somewhat... Solid... Now she was once more growing thin. Weak. He assumed this was from the strain of overexerting herself in trying to appear solid for so long.

"Are you okay? You have held your form for awhile. I could try and make you some soulmist, if you would like..."

WC: 1,102
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alice Weaver on December 8th, 2020, 12:43 am

As Moritz listened to her speak she could feel him tear each word apart and analyze it, comparing it and then slotting it into its own space if it was deemed to have merit or if not, tossed to the wind, removed but not forgotten. It was intimidating to say the least and showed that Moritz had the potential to grow into someone that would be strong and could very well implement his desires for a truthful society, as much as she internally scoffed at it.

What was surprising was the fact that Moritz never wanted to be a Spiritist in the first place, it was just a role that was forced upon him by his mother. It was something she could sympathize with as she was too blessed with a mother that pulled her into a profession without her having much say in the matter. But unlike her, who still harbored resentment toward her mother for tying her wings, Moritz did not seem to mind. He simply brushed it off as he’ll never know if he would have liked to do something different anyways, since he wasn’t given the choice.

Wow. That was a tad soul crushing. To just pick an option that was neatly placed in front of you and call it a day? But she supposed that a few people might be ok with having a set path in life, it must take the stress out of deciding what you were to do when you left your family if you never leave the family hm? Though he did seem to not mind his path and intended it to follow it through with a passion, declaring that now because he has this power he is going to use it. And yet again he targeted her reason for staying around as a ghost the boy would just not let it drop.

“Maybe you don’t deserve the whole reason yet, Moritz? Have you ever considered that angle? And who are you to judge whether I can exist or not?” A tinge of venom came through her voice, hands tightened in her dress before she calmed herself. “I apologize that was rude.” But elaborated no further.

Now came the point where the kelvic got to respond to her statements, pointing out her arguments flaws. About how even a minimal level of trust can have a great impact on the way two people interact with one another and that to show trust one doesn’t have to entirely drop their defenses. Followed by the question that if you can’t trust anyone how will you ever find someone to help you? An ally to give you aid? And bringing up the fact that Alice trusted Moritz on some basic level when they first met. Fair.

“I feel that was more you trusting me in that regard. Allowing a ghost you just met to possess you and violate your soul? Some might call that trusting others stupidity but I figure you are right. I did have some trust towards you that was mostly garnered from me thinking you were a lost child in need of help, not some grand spiritist and that just set the tone.” She finished with a shrug. “And I don’t think I ever said to never trust. I just said to be aware that most will lie around you as it's just the way things are currently and that you’d be foolish to accept otherwise. Trust is built up over hundreds of small actions, maybe giving a flower or even as extreme as sharing a body with another soul…”

He then went on to mention something about how if someone is only out for survival you should just integrate yourself to their survival or act to help all and then they will see you as beneficial and become trusting? A sound theory. Next the young Spiritist went on some grandstand about how he accepts nothing as true and therefore has kept an open mind. He draws his own conclusions and considers them fully before following how someone else does it. He continued on it a bit of a personal attack saying how Alice has grown up lying and grown accustomed to being told its ok, and that is why she thinks it was. Finishing it off by saying that each has to make their own choices and that neither can force one to change or consider each other's words. And then he gave a choice or perhaps an overview of what two different lives could look like. One could continue on with lying where you only saw lies and never moved forward or one where you extended trust and either failed, and were no worse off for wear, or you succeeded and moved on forward.

“Many people have lied their way to the top. I would just like to point out, many leaders had to lie their way up with honeyed promises to get to that power to deliver those promises. But then I guess that would be an end justify the means sort of deal so, therefore, a bit moot.”

It also seemed the Spiritist noticed her falling apart before his eye too.

“Ah just a tad tired. A few minutes is the most I can do yet I’ve been pushing myself to stay longer and it seems I am reaching a hard limit. If you wish to try and practice making your own soulmist I would not be opposed to being a tester.”
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on December 10th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Moritz canted his head and Alice lashed out at him, puzzling over the female ghost. Had it been something he had said? Or was it from her growing tired from her usage of soulmist? Or perhaps a combination of both? He was left unsure, though could clearly see the ghost had become agitated in the moment.

Puzzling for a moment, Moritz considered things before responding.

"I'm not, and I never said I was. You decide that you exist, being a ghost. My question was just what that reason was, not that you had one. I suppose if you did not... Well what does happen to a ghost who stops having a reason to be one? I suppose they would just... Pass on. I mean otherwise, how would a ghost ever stop being... Well a ghost. And when someone dies, how else would they... Well not pass on right away, and therefore become a ghost. I suppose that makes sense... Your reason to be, is why you do so. Mmm... That sounds right. Though I wonder if that's the whole thing."

Pausing for a moment in thought Moritz considered things a bit further before speaking again.

"And I'm not offended by your anger, that's fine. Nor do I expect you to tell me your entire life story if you are not ready. My problem was you telling me something false, as a lie, not that you did not tell me everything. I would rather you just say you do not want to tell me, than you lie about it. I suppose... Mmm... Maybe that is one reason, another reason, I do not like lies. If you do not have info, you can work with that. Bear that gap in mind to your thinking and considering. But if you have false information... Then you must work on that, if you do not know it is false, which could lead to other things going astray if it is based on that false info. I suppose that is another reason to avoid lies, going down the wrong path."

Moritz smiled at Alice's words on trust, seeing the fault in the footing of her words.

"Yes, but isn't that my point exactly? I took the first step, a reasonable amount of trust, and in part due to that you were more willing to trust me. Perhaps my apparent age came into factor, I mean I'm not even two yet, but still... I would think your trust in part came, or was.... Uh what is the word.... Building thing? No... Uh... Fac... Whatever, in part my trust made your trust possible. But at the same time, my trust was reasonable, based on logic, and not overextending. I did not blindly trust, but also had a reason for trusting as I told you before. I could have fought with that logic, denied it, and refused any trust. Instead I followed logic, and because of that I trusted to a limited degree."

As it became clear Alice was growing tired, and also that she would not easily be able to continue without aid, Moritz waved for one of the passing servers inside the restaurant.

"Ah, have you decided what you want?"

"Uh, not quite. I have not been here before. Do you have anything that does not have meat or animal products? I do not... Partake, of either."

"Let me see... Yes, we have the kebabs, I could get you some of those. It is skewers of roasted... Well in your case vegetables... On a bed of rice. And I can have them abstain from the cheese or cream. How is that?"

Moritz nodded, before motioning at Alice.

"I also need to make some soulmist, for my companion here. Do you have... Let me see... Could you bring me a bowl, and... Uh something to crush some of the food with?"

The woman smiled, nodding and quickly moving off. In a chime or so she returned with a tray with several items laid out on it.

"We've served spiritists before, and we do attempt to well serve all of our guests. This should suit your needs. Also I had one of the cooks sterilize the knife, so it should be safe to use, but you may want to wait a moment to let it cool. It is within the small cloth. The food should be out in a moment."

As the server moved off Moritz looked over the tray, seeing the various items on it. First was a stone looking bowl, with a odd tool inside of it. It looked like a tiny club, with a rounded tip, but was also made out of stone.

"Alice, do you know what that is? Some kind of... Stone bowl and baby club?"

Moritz was once more left unsure, having run into something he had not seen before. Alongside that, with a lift of the cloth to check, he found a small knife that was slowly cooling but looked quite clean. He had not considered the fact that cleaning the knife, such as with heat, was a good idea. But now that it had been brought up he felt it made sense. There also another bowl, this one more normal, made of ceramic.

Lastly was a roll of thin white cloth, a long and even strip that had been rolled upon itself. It looked even more pristine and clean than the one the knife was nestled in, and Moritz was left unsure what it was for.

"And what is this thing for... Its some kind of cloth but... Not sure what she expects me to use it for..."

Pausing for a moment Moritz turned to Alice, wondering if she knew. He was good at figuring things out from context, but had not thought of such things before and so was at a bit of a loss as to their intended usage.

WC: 980
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alice Weaver on December 12th, 2020, 1:11 am

At least it appeared that her anger at being poked and prodded did not have a lasting effect on Moritz as he just waved it off as if it wasn’t a big issue. That she didn’t need to tell him her whole life story nor the idea that she owed him one. That was correct she supposed. She could have just declined to say anything and avoided this entire path. Well, live...er die and learn? He did make the suggestion that instead of trying to lie to him about it she should just say nothing as the false information could cause things to go astray later down the line. He of course tied that into another reason for not lying. He was quite good at finding those spots to twist the knife into it seemed.

His next few words were on her idea of that first step of trust that they both took with one another with the impromptu possession. He then stumbled over a word seeming to not know it, asking in no clear terms the “building thing.” Her eyebrows furrowed together as she tried to piece together what word the young kelvic was trying to use. Find herself drawing a blank with those few unclear hints. Laughing lightly to herself.

“You are going to have to be more clear with that. Building thing? Do you mean foundation?” Though she was genuinely unsure if that was the word he was trying to use. Besides she found the slight break in his well put together composure quite adorable and endearing.

While waiting for a response the server came over to take care of the young man and Alice found herself insituatinall shrinking away from the woman, not wanting to get too close and perhaps a person just doing their job ghost burn from her icy touch. Though the server didn’t seem all that bothered by the ghost's presence, gather Moritz's order who apparently did not partake of meat or animal products. A dietary restriction or just a preference? She wondered to herself. He also asked for materials to make a soulmist which perked Alice’s ears. She never did see how Maderia made that wonderful material and it seemed now was her chance to witness its creation. Though it apparently involved a sterilized knife which gave Alice a feeling that it was not for the faint of heart to make….

The server scampered off before returning with a tray full of materials along with a mortar and pestle. One that Mortiz seemed to examin before he asked her if it was a “stone bowl and a baby club” choking back a laugh, he was only two, after all, she answered him.

“That is what I assume to be a Mortar and Pestle, Moritz. It's a tool used to grind spices and foods into a fine powder or mush.”

He also got hung up on the strip of cloth that was very obviously a clean bandage, wondering aloud what it was to be used before while turning to Alice seeking some enlightenment it seems.

“A Bandage, Moritz. It's to wrap a wound to stem the blood flow. If you cut yourself you pull it tightly around the area and the pressure stops the flow while also absorbing some of the escaped blood so it doesn’t run everywhere. Have you never used on before? Though I guess if you were never badly cut there might have never been a reason for one…”

“Anyways, is it only simple household ingredients that are needed to make the stuff of ghosts? Not like powered gold or perhaps an eye of newt? Just some simple foods and a knife? What is the knife for? Cutting the stuff smaller? No. That's what the pestle is for and it wouldn’t need to be sanitized either if that was the case. Ah. Its blood isn’t it? A good few magics use blood as... what was it? A Catalyst? At least that's what I’ve gleaned from my drifting. ‘To spot a mage look to the scars on their arms.’ That would also explain the bandage now that I think about it.” She finished looking for the Spiritist to either confirm or deny her thought process, as he was sure he would while paying rapt attention to the process in front of her. Alice’s form ripped itself apart even faster now that her focus was elsewhere.
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on December 13th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Moritz frown in concentration, shaking his head at the ghost. She had offered foundation, but that was not right... Not right for what Moritz was thinking. It was a.... No... And Moritz found he could not quite recall the word, like something tantalizing on the tips of his horns but not coming off.

"No, no, its not part of a building, but it sounds like... A type of word for a type of building. Not part of one. Its a... Fah, or fuh, word. It means to make something possible, is a fah or fuh word, and sounds like a type of building. But I cannot recall the word. But the point is, what it means. Making it possible."

For a moment Moritz puzzled over the missing word, but quickly waved it away and passed on to other topics if Alice did not further follow the topic.

At the odd stone bowl and stone club thing, Moritz nodded. From Alice's understanding that was a mortar and pestle, used in grinding and crushing things into powder... Or in the case of less fine material, mush. Which was a needed step in making soulmist. Curious about her response, Moritz attempted to further clarify something.

"Which is the mortar, and which is the pestle?"

Understanding what it was used for, Moritz know better understood what the intent was. He put food in their, crushed or mushed it up, and then could add it into the other bowl to be mixed and used in making soulmist.

The odd thin cloth in turn was used to stop bleeding, which also made sense now that Moritz was told its use. One had to cut their flesh and bring forth blood to create soulmist, mixing it into the thing to make it properly.

"Ah, that makes sense then why she would add it. Clearly a more experienced Spiritist than I has been here before, and knew better what to ask for. My first time was... Simpler. This I think would only be my second try, not counting the few times on the first day I did it when I was being trained initially in it. I've never used a bandage before. We just did a pin prick on our first try. As for the mortar and pestle, it sound useful. If I'm to do more of such things, I should probably purchase my own."

At the question on the materials used in making soulmist, Moritz thought back to his own first lesson. Yes the materials were simple, a few food items from different sources. Some blood mixed in. And then it was chewed and mixed in the mouth, inside the body, and turned into Soulmist by literal magic. Magic or magic? For a moment Moritz pondered on the capitalization, if it was proper or not, but quickly turned back to address Alice's question.

"It is true, but also not true. Honestly this part, getting the ingredients together, that is the easy part. Imagine if... Someone handed you a pile of leather. And then said, make a pair of boots. You have everything you need. Would you know how to turn that leather into boots?"

Pausing for emphasis while instructing the ghost, Moritz smiled for a bit before continuing.

"Soulmist I think is the same way. When I was instructed in its making, most of the time was spent on the process of magically turning the materials into soulmist. Not on what to use. Those were passed over with only a brief contact. The recipe is simple. Three food items of a different source. A bit of blood. And then all of that is mixed into one thing, which the spiritist by means of magic... Changes it into soulmist similar to that shrouding you. Honestly, I barely understand that part well enough to do it, let alone enough to explain it. But I will try nevertheless."

As he finished talking, the server returned once more, this time with a tray holding a long dish. This was placed before Moritz, giving him a chance to examine it. As she had said it was a bed of rice covering the plate. On top of that were three long skewers, each with heavy chunks of vegetable along it.

Moritz puzzled over them for a bit, unsure if he simply was not familiar with the plants or if they looked different from how they were cooked. Each of the three skewers had four chunks on them, spaced out such that they were against each other but left room at the ends to hold the skewer.

Each of the skewers had the same pattern, red, green, yellow, orange.

One by one Moritz tried each of the items, working through one entire skewer while leaving the other two for later.

The orange one was a bit sweet, a solid thing which seemed to mash as he took a bite. It was also quite soft, though crisp on the outside from the cooking.

The yellow was somewhat sweet, but had more of a punch to it. More of a bite than the sweeter orange one.

Green was not really sweet, but had even more of a bite to it and was also somewhat hot in the non heat sense.

Lastly was the red, which had an odd blandness to it Moritz was not familiar with either.

"I'm not sure what these are, but they all taste pretty different."

Moritz then repeated his thoughts on each ones flavor or lack thereof, in case Alice wanted to add anything.

WC: 922
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alice Weaver on December 14th, 2020, 1:12 am

The word she provided was apparently incorrect as Moritz shook his head and frowned, an expression she was quickly being to associate with him shepherding his thoughts. Not necessarily that he was angry or upset as the expression would imply. So Moritz took another crack at trying to explain word without using the word itself, a challenge that was the bane of many school children… Saying it was like a word that sounded similar to a building yet was not itself a building. That it meant to make something possible and began with a fah sound. It meant to make it possible.

“So not foundation...but to make it possible but sounds like a building. Fah...Fah- To make possible. A place. Facility?” She paused and blinked to herself before hesitantly offering a word, unsure if that is what the young man wanted. “Facilitate? Is that the word you were looking for? An uncommon one at that anyways.”

Moving on from that waiting to see if she guessed right or wrong with her impromptu vocab quiz she moved onto Moritz's next question. This one was blessedly straightforward.

“The bowl is the mortar and the, as you put it, ‘baby club’ is the pestle.” She still struggled to keep the slight note of laughter out of her voice at the ‘baby club’ comment. She felt that was something that was going to stick with her for a long time. Something that Moritz might never live down with her but that was just part of being a child. Your parents and friends held all the silly things you’ve ever said over your head for eternity. She still hasn't lived down a few things and she died!

After she mentioned what the bandage was for he clearly understood. Mentioning the fact that they must have dealt with another, more experienced, spiritist here before. He said that he never had to use a bandage before because he only used a pinprick when he made soulmist once before so a wrapping was unnecessary. That brought up a few questions.

“When you say more experienced in relation to the bandage. Do more advanced Spiritists need or use more blood? Hence the knife and not a blade? And this is only your second time making it so I get to be the test dummy? Wonderful.” She jabbed at the end but with no heat in her voice, making it clear that it was a friendly jest with a rueful grin as he continued on his explanation.

Creating Soulmist was not an exact science apparently. It involved taking food items from three different sources and the blood of something, she assumed the maker, and converted it somehow. Magic explained that away she supposed. It seemed quite strange. Why was it important to have food from three different sources? Why couldn’t you just scarf down a bloody loaf of bread and call it a day? Or why separate items. Could one not just scarf down a piece of cake that had flour, milk, and eggs in it?

“Why from three different sources? Is that important. I know you said you don’t understand it fully but I wonder if you know. Like could you eat a piece of cake that has milk, flour, and eggs in it and that count as three different sources? Or maybe some type of baked good? If you don’t know I could probably ask someone I met called Madeira. I really should direct my ghost questions at her to be honest...she seemed scarily competent at all of this.” And she made a circular gesture with her fading hand leaving a trail in the air as the server walked by and deposited a meal in front of the Kelvic before darting off to take care of the other guests.

Moritz then went through sampling each of the kabobs he was given, describing the taste out loud and she could only assume he wanted her to identify the roasted veggies that were steaming along happily.

“Ah let's see here.” As she leaned over the table to get a closer look. “It looks like an orange and yellow squash, the green one I think is a zucchini and the red one is a pepper? Gods it's been forever since I’ve even looked at food. Appears I am a bit out of practice.” She sighed to herself. “You might want to ask the server to confirm that since I am very unsure. It also doesn’t help that I can’t smell them either…”
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on December 28th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Moritz nodded as Alice reasoned out the word he could not think of, facilitate. Making something happen. And being a word similar to a word for a type of building, but not building itself.

"Yes, that's it. Facilitate. Its the only word I could think of then, does that not happen to you ever? You know the word you want to say, does a bunch of other words pop into your head when you think of one? Only I couldn't completely remember the right word."

The odd tool was oddly named, the bowl being the mortar and the small club the pestle. He was unsure why they were called that, but according to Alice they were and he had no reason to doubt her on such a thing. Particularly since he did not recall ever seeing one before, and had no idea what it was until he saw it.

Shrugging once more as he went over the equipment, Moritz went from one tool to the next as he spoke.

"I didn't say that, and as far as I know that isn't true. I meant more experienced because they knew to ask for it. I didn't ask for it, but she brought it out when I explained what I was doing, so clearly someone else was more experienced and knew what to ask for whereas I did not. And no one said you had to take the soulmist, if you don't want it."

Since Moritz was not directly getting anything for his gift of soulmist, simply helping a bit a weakened ghost, it would be simple enough to not make that offer. Or to take it back as a means of negotiation if she was unhappy with his attempt.

"Though I would think some less well made soulmist would be better than none."

Perhaps if he had been looking at Alice's face as she spoke he would have gotten the jest, or perhaps not. Regardless he did not and continued on inspecting his tools.

At her comment on the items and cake Moritz did meet Alice's eyes, shaking his head.

"That isn't what I said either. I said I was going to mash all this up and mix it, so why would that be different from a cake. I didn't say I needed three different items of food, I said I needed items of three different sources. Not sure why, but that is what I was told. The first time I did it, we used a cracker. By source I would think it means... Where it came from. Like you can't use beef from a cow, and milk from a cow, two things from the same source. You need at least three sources of ingredients, whatever form the final thing you use is doesn't matter. Its all gonna get mixed up anyways."

With Alice mentioning Madeira Moritz froze in surprise, turning to face Alice. He did not think there was a good chance that the Madeira Alice had met was another one. How many spiritists by that name could there be? Surely not too many.

"Madeira was her name? The other spiritist you met? I suppose you met my mother then. She is the one that instructed me, being my mother after all. Or I would say its likely its my mother, how many spiritists by that name could there be. Probably not too many. So probably her you met."

As Alice gave the vegetables names or what she thought they were, difficult from their cooked form, Moritz went through and added one of each type of vegetable to his bowl, or mortar. Then he added in some scoops of rice and took out the pestle. With that done he began smashing and grinding, turning and twisting the small stone tool to crush the vegetable matter into a fine paste. This took several chimes, until all of the lumps were removed. When he felt no more resistance, and when it on inspection appeared as a single oddly colored paste in the stone bowl, Moritz moved on to the next step.

Taking the small knife he chose a spot on his arm, carefully making a tiny and shallow incision near the inside crook of his elbow. A soft meaty part of his flesh which did not often come into contact with anything and so seemed safe to mark. Wincing at the feel of the blade on his flesh Moritz made the tiny incision, and then held the wound over bowl. Pumping his hand a few times until a bit of blood dribbled out Moritz felt he had added a sufficient amount of blood. Then setting aside the blade he took up the length of cloth bandage and wrapped it around the wound. A moment later a small bead of blood welled out and stained the bandage, only for him to wrap another layer on top of that, and then a third. Since it had been such a small cut it was not overly bleeding.

With that done Moritz began mixing the food again with the pestle, this time spreading the blood through-out. This took another chime or so, before Moritz was satisfied at his mixing. With that done He took a lunch chunk of the material in his hand, and then popped it in his mouth. And then he did as he had before, he chewed. Chewed as a cow at some cud, mashing the pulpy blood tinged mess in his mouth.

As he did he focused his mind, picturing himself as a rainbow hewed outline with Okomo horns. Then he pictured the small mass in his mouth as a smaller version of that. As he chewed he imagined the two slowly melting into each other. Separate, and yet part of the whole. Disparate, and yet united. Slowly molding back into one, as by the nature of the blood it was connected to him. Such was the beginnings of the process of making soulmist as he had been instructed.

WC: 997
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext