[Stormhold Beach] Burning Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Stormhold Beach] Burning Questions

Postby Terminus Norin on December 23rd, 2009, 4:46 am

The place Terminus had chosen was a small grove of trees not so distant from the party that he would miss his cue to get ready, but far enough that prying ears would not hear what they should not hear. He stopped within the grove and said.
Now to the buisiness at hand. I am ready to hear what you have to say Leo Zaital He used Leo's family name as he was certain the man preferred that name. He was also sure that his worst fears and suspicions were about to be confirmed and much of the history he had been told would prove out to be true as well.
Its not wheither you win or lose but how you play that counts
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Words: 63849
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2009, 4:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: [Stormhold Beach] Burning Questions

Postby Leo Varniak on December 25th, 2009, 10:43 pm

It was a welcome respite from the crowd. Sometimes it seemed to Leo that people did nothing but eat and breed. If this many people were a crowd to him, he could only imagine what life must have been like before the Valterrian. There had been cities ten or twenty times larger than Syliras, and the thought was enough to send a small shiver down his spine. It truly seemed impossible. How could so many creatures possibly coexist together?

The place looked just fine to him, and if Sondra decided to join them, she would be welcome to. Leo's enemies were not the Konti - they were just another victim of his enemies. It remained to be seen whether they would become Terminus' enemies, as well. He stopped and cast a quick glance at the party, still puzzled at what was so entertaining about it. His hands were still tucked in the pockets of his nondescript trousers.

He could have asked Terminus about himself. Instead, he decided to let his answers speak for himself. Ivak had already marked him, after all, and Leo wanted to believe the god would not mark just anyone. "Well, there are a short version and a long version," he began. "Feel free to believe what you will."

"The short version is that I need your help to do something terribly important. In fact, I probably need your help to save the world."

"The long version is that I know a good deal of the truth about the Valterrian... or at least, more than they teach you as a kid. It's about Ivak, and how he was manipulated into blind fury by the chaos god Rhysol. Right now, Rhysol's greatest enemies in the pantheon are all gone. He is going to conquer the world unless he is stopped."

"Terminus, I am asking you to join me on a dangerous quest. The short-term goal is to rid Syliras of Rhysol's agents. The long-term goal is to free Ivak." He kept it at that - there was no need to use any more breath if he was going to say no. He had something to ask of Sondra, as well, but that would come later... if she didn't chicken out, that is.
Leo Varniak
It was a pleasure to burn

Words: 426121
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (2)
Donor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Terminus Norin on December 25th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Terminus listened quietly as Leo spoke out his worst fears and suspicions. It wasn't as great a shock to him as it would have been to others to fins Rhysol behind the Valterrain. His parents had taught him that there had to be other forces behind Ivak's rage and that those forces would have to be met in order to free him. He had also suspected that Rhysol was utilizing the power vacumn in order to take over.

However Leo proposed a quest that he knew wouldnt be easy and now that he was for sure Rhysol was invloved it might turn deadly. He thought for a moment about what he had to lose: Nya, his friend and confidant who knew more about him than any other knew. He knew she would go on without him and encourage him to fight if it wasi ndeed his destiny. Then his thoughs strayed to Avi for some reason...there was or could be a connection there, would undertaking this quest interfere in that?.

Amid his doubts, Terminus knew that he was destined to free Ivak, his mother had spoken such many times and though she wa snot blessed by Avalis, she tended to know things. He knew he had been drawn back ro Syliras for a purpose and it was a greater purpose. He also knew he should not rush where gods and goldings feared to tread wothout knowing everything there was to know.

Allright Leo I believe I was calledback to Syliras to aid you. However I need to hear everything you know. I want to know what we are facing, at least to the extent that you know it. He had not said yes, but he had not said no either, he simply wanted to know more.

Understand we probably are very different in how we view things.If we are to work together, we must accept that fact.

He looked to Sondra to see if she had anything to say and waited for Leo to decide to continue
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leo Varniak on December 26th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Leo tilted his head and listened to Terminus' response. Honestly, he could not picture this man setting fire to a priest of Rhysol in cold blood. But that, he suspected, was why Terminus was most likely a Tuvalik and Leo was a Zaital. "Of course you want to know more," he was not surprised, though he would have preferred it if Terminus had made more of a commitment beforehand. The mention of wiping bad guys off the face of the planet would have been more than enough for Leo.

"And of course we are very different," he continued, "I have been alive for twenty-two summers without meeting anyone quite like me, and I'm not expecting things to change anytime soon. I have no problem with that, though. My talents lie in burning the bad guys, and I am good at discovering things. Normally, that makes me a solo player, however it has been brought to my attention that it really takes a strong team to win this one. A team which can compensate for my... shortcomings, as well." He did not need to elaborate on said shortcomings - he was showing, not telling.

He gave a tiny shrug. "You are under no obligation to help out. The task is very dangerous, especially for those who do bear the mark of Ivak. Our predecessors here are dead. Murdered. They formed a triad, a group of three called the Circle of Zai. The Azenth keep these triads around in every important place, and they take care of Ivak's business in his absence. Most of them are being picked off, though. They disappear, like in this city. The Konti in Syliras are certain that the old triad members are all dead, and I believe them. The perpetrator is still around, and it murdered a Konti not long ago... spiritually, and before my eyes. This scum of Rhysol, the "Black hand", has committed at least four murders here, probably many more. It must pay."

Leo's voice was calm and cadenced. He really did not have a serious or a non-serious voice; it was always the same, and he could have started talking about the weather in the same tone if he'd wanted to. "Father Glav from the temple of all gods agreed to serve as a member of the triad until I can find a full-time replacement, but I still need another to make three. With you, we could start right away, and we might get a visit from Ivak himself too."

"Now, about the Valterrian... you need to understand that Ivak and Kova had a baby who survived the cataclysm," he said, slowly, "her ghost showed me a vision of his birth. I am a descendant of that baby, myself, and Rhysol wants to kill me twice as bad because of it. I can only assume he is afraid that I might free Ivak in the future, though right now I have no idea how."

"So, anyone close to me may be in deadly danger," he smiled faintly for the first time since meeting them, "but on the bright side, we can take part in a grand battle for justice. We can save the world." He really liked the idea, apparently, and in his mind there was no doubt as to whether the advantages outweighed the risks. "You too, Sondra, can avenge the fallen Konti, and make the enemy pay for taking that innocent life." Because she obviously wanted to avenge her fallen sister, right?
Leo Varniak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Terminus Norin on December 27th, 2009, 3:06 am

This time it was Terminus who tilted his head and focused his blue eyes in concentration. He was formulating his answer as Leo spoke. For him things were never black and white, there was always room for grey. He could tell from the start that Leo was a black and white individual and several things were forming in his head. He spoke again quietly when Leo spoke.

I have lived for 25 summers myself and there are few like any I have met during my travels. My talents lie in brewing and releasing as well as the dance of fire. I see myself as taking on the mantle of balancer, Ivak is a balancer ..so am I. My bloodline is mixed, My Father is an Avisata and My Tuvalik blood comes from my mother

He smiled and listened to Leo more before speaking again
You are a man of action, that is needed. We need one willing to right the wrongs and do what it takes. You also need one of peace, one whos function is not to kill or burn but to negotiate. I can do either if need be, when it comes to Rhysol I have no qualms about killing. But some things require a soft touch.

Leo spoke of the Circle of Zai and of triads. He had heard the referance from his mother who was a historian of sorts, but untill now he had not known the purpose of the Triads. Rhysol would most likely hunt down these repositories of power and snuff them out., He also knew that justice needed to be meted out for the murders and chaos Rhysol had caused and Ivak needed to be freed, he had paid long enough.

I agree with you that this Black Hand must pay. He or she has done uncontionable things in the name of their defiled god. I understand that if we reform the Circle we will be targets as well.

H elisented with Interest as he spoke of being descended from Ivak and Kova's offspring, this changed things a bit. For one thing it would increase the danger and for another it would mean they would be a bit closer to Ivak in the long run.

You are right that the danger is increased simply by your bloodline. However that makes you a bit closer to Ivak in many ways too. Even if you do not worhship him.

Terminus thought about this for a while, digesting all that Leo had said and werstling with his Doubts. Finally the burning in his breast won out.

No I'm under no obligation to help you. However I am devoted to Ivak and I believe he drew me back here for a purpose. I believe you have shown me that purpose. Leo Zaital...you have your second. I will help you reform the Triad and do the work of Ivak untill we find a way to free him. Let us fight for justice and save the world...if it wants to be saved

He looked to Sondra who had been silent up to this point and waited for her to respond
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sondra on December 28th, 2009, 7:48 pm

OOCMy sincerest apologies, I have been lately overwhelmed, but will try to give better notice in the future. Thank you for leaving space for me. :)

Sondra arrived late to the discussion, entering as Leo had begun his second phrase of explanation. She had lingered by the table for a time, debating the possible content of what would follow. The invitation reminded her of grander days when she had been a counselor to the complicated mechanics of a wealthy house. When her head and conscience had been clear enough to give judicious commentary.

The Konti initially lacked the noble interest of either party, choosing to follow mostly out of curiosity.
What conversation and revelations followed turned her dumb. Mute shock spread over her, interspersed by a doubtful twist to her mouth.

Eyes were on her, inquiring what responses were stumbling through her head.
"I--," She made a few false starts, flustered, "It's--, Well--"
The Konti took a deep breath, picking through the haze she had so eagerly welcomed into her thoughts in the year or so before. She had been cultivating a numbing force and escapist life with most her capacity. The White Witch, that clear-headed and scrupulous pillar of her master's house, had been dismissed from her consciousness in a hurry, but Sondra found herself scrambling to call her back.

The mind does not forgive abuses so easily, it allowed only a sliver of her past clarity, but it was enough to make her tongue move decisively.

"I do not feel any especial offense for the sake of my race, though they seem to be enmeshed in the affair already. Nosy as they are."

"If this all is true," she still needed some convincing, "Your prestigious lineage and the Black Hand ghouls. I'm game."

She paused, feeling an obligation to be frank.
"But don't take me for a champion of lighter gods and goodness," she was almost smirking at the thought.
"You two seem better fit for Knight-like endeavors. I'm more accustomed to picking the lesser of evils. But I'm not so far gone as to enjoy the idea of Miza rotting even further. I am willing to help in any matter that snuffs Rhysol in a meaningful way."
There was a hint of disgust as she continued, "People are wicked enough without his encouragement."

Sondra finally reached the point she dreaded.
"I know you're hoping I can contribute the traditional Konti role. We're rare and usually make for good counsel." She was embarrassed by her next admittance, it proved she was still had Konti sensibility despite her best efforts.
"And I can't say there isn't some idiotic compulsion in me to hope this might be my grand calling instead of the last six years of mire."
She made a decisive gesture with her hands, "I'm not foolproof and all I see are bad things. Truly."

Drawn out by the men's admissions of private facts, she bluntly offered,
"I read sins by touch. Some future, mostly past. And I do a little fortune telling."
Sondra shrugged, "I might prove useful enough."
Her topic veered, "But, fellas, I'd like to meet this Father Glav character for some assurance. My hide isn't worth much, but I'm real fond of wearing it."
Sondra
The Sinspeaker

Words: 141440
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Leo Varniak on December 28th, 2009, 11:47 pm

To be honest, Leo had doubted that they would easily believe him. To him that felt like the harder part of the task, for he had imagined that once convinced of his sincerity any rational good-willed creature would want to join his cause, even in a lesser role. Instead, there had been faith in his words but some amount of hesitation in committing to the task. It was... interesting. Leo's understanding of people, appalling as it was, was growing by leaps and bounds.

He listened to them both - the firedancer and the sinspeaker - and it slowly dawned on him, as he gauged their doubts, that a normal person would not have wanted any part in this. For people were, if not petty, at least unwilling to risk themselves unless it was absolutely necessary. He had sugar-coated nothing about the task, and neither one had declined. Leo suspected he should be grateful.

"Thanks, both of you," he said quietly, somewhat surprised in retrospect. He felt like someone jumping off a roof, landing without a scratch, and finally realizing the magnitude of the danger he had been through. "I assure you this is all true. Father Glav can confirm a part of the story, though he knows the rest through my own words. I think only Ivak himself can give the ultimate proof. Glav believes he is likely to show up in some form, were the triad to be reformed. Only one way to find out."

"We all have our motives for doing what we do, but I will never question them," Leo added, reflecting upon Terminus' and Sondra's words. Terminus was mainly driven by religious conviction, whereas Sondra seemed to be seeking redemption, or new purpose. He could not truly understand either at this point, as his respect for Ivak started from the head and not from the heart, and he could not fathom what a Konti's sight may be like. "Myself, I do this because I am this. For me it's not a choice but a basic need like air or food."

"I don't mind dying for this cause," and he meant it, "but I do know the difference between giving one's life and wasting it. I am not hoping to dilute the danger looming over my head by sharing it, either. Provisions have been made to aid your safety as much as possible. There is a building to be used as a base and a cover business, with plenty of money to start one up. I have not touched it yet, as I am no good with money. The place is as safe a harbor as one can find in Syliras... if still unfurnished. Your help would not come without some level of comfort."

Leo himself saw little need for the colorful gemcoins except to feed, clothe and buy basic necessities. A deeply spartan young man at core, he viewed luxury as the crib of weakness, but he would welcome anyone with enough talent to jumpstart a simple cover business. This ordeal was forcing him to open his views in ways he would not have considered before.

"If you agree, let us meet tomorrow in front of the Temple of all gods, late in the morning." He was thoughtful enough to make it late in the morning, so that rest could be had and hangovers mitigated where applicable. His insomniatic self could care less what hour they met. Night, day, no big deal.
Leo Varniak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets