Solo Something lost

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Something lost

Postby Cleon on May 12th, 2022, 8:03 pm

57th of Spring, 522 A.V.

Cleon had been sitting on the edge of his bed for almost half a bell when he looked up from the book in his lap. The impossible book from his impossible journey out into the jungle with someone he couldn’t even recall beyond the little note he kept from their first night in the Inn.

Although it hadn’t been that long ago, already his memories from that time were fragmented and scattered from the moment he had left the inn to the moment he had returned while the after and before remained crystal clear. It remained disconcerting to say the least, although this book was helping him recover some of what was lost.

He could remember flashes of insight, things he had repeated to himself over and over so that he could recall them now but their half of the conversation was absent. It was almost as if he had been talking to himself the entire time he had been out there.

Of course it was eerily reminiscent of their first night in the Inn which only troubled him further. Not because he was worried about his own sanity, but because he was worried about the sanity of the person who couldn’t be remembered.

There had been times in his life where he would have thought that almost a gift but that was before he had someone in his life that depended on him. Now he could see the horror in that curse because if Faye truly forgot him he didn’t think he could survive that sort of heartbreak.

Morose, he sat up from the bed to walk over and lean against the wall as he steadied himself. He felt like he ought to do something about the pain he felt in his chest, but it was hard to think of just what when his head swam from just walking a few feet. This curse was getting more troublesome by the day, and if he didn’t find an outlet for some of his desires, he was going to burst from the internal pressure.

Shaking his head vigorously, he tried to push such thoughts in the back of his mind as he turned back to the book. He’d left it open to the first page as the rest of it remained as blank as it had when he had checked it yesterday. The only thing that had changed about it was that the first page was different. He was very sure of that fact even if he was having trouble remembering the rest of the day.

WC- 425
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Something lost

Postby Cleon on May 12th, 2022, 8:05 pm

Today the front page went into detail about the sorts of plants you should avoid in the jungle, touching and eating for that matter. It was useful, but not exactly what he needed right now, and as he had already read the page several times over, he decided to close the book and stow it in his bag while he quickly decided to head to Randals surf shop.

While he was up, he might as well try and get some work at the shop done. Maybe he’d think of something along the way, and at the very least he could get a drink to steady himself. His hands nearly always trembled nowadays, but a stiff drink helped to still them somewhat so that he could at least try to be productive.

He got an inkling of an idea along the way crossing by a couple of Ixam that were lounging out in front of the Inn and recalled something he had been told about why they liked to hang around the Inn. By the time he reached the Surf shop, that idea was still yet half formed but that didn’t stop him from immediately seeking out Randal about it. He found the man in the workshop below, getting everything ready for the day as Cleon came upon him.

“Hey Randal. I’d like to do something for whoever is letting me and my sister stay at their Inn. I figure that with all the Ixam around it that they must take care of the Ixam or something like that, so I was wondering if I could borrow some wood to carve one for them.” Cleon said, feeling quite embarrassed when he said the idea aloud because he realized he realized how half baked the was. Blushing he tried looking at his feet but it didn’t cool the heat he felt flushing his face. “I know its not much of a present, but I don’t really have much to offer.”

To his surprise though Randal didn’t laugh, though when Cleon eventually did look up, he saw that the man was suppressing a sort of grin.

“Sure why don’t I help you. It could be something from the both of us” Randal said, and putting a hand gently on his shoulder, guided them towards the back of the shop where he kept most of the scrap wood left over from previous projects. Picking up a roughly square piece, he handed it to Cleon as he went to retrieve a few tools.

Cleon took a moment to study the square before looking up at Randal. “Thank you, I um.. Well I’m not particularly great at carving as I’m sure you realize. I am much better at acquiring things than I am making them.” Cleon professed, rubbing the wood with the ball of his thumb as he thought about how exactly he was going to help out.

Randal, still smiling, walked back over with a bundle of tools and a charcoal pencil. The tools he set down on the table, while he kept the pencil poised between his thumb and index finger as he took back the block of wood.

“Don’t beat yourself up about it. You have been learning quickly, and if you keep up with it you’ll master the skill in no time. Have you been practicing with the surf boards by the way?” Randal asked as he used the charcoal pencil to outline an Ixam on the wood, going over his lines a few times so they were bold and thick around the edges while using thinner lines to detail the interior. Cleon hadn’t known he had such a talent for drawing, and his jaw dropped open slightly before he remembered he was supposed to be responding.

“Yes, yes I’ve been taking boards to the Community pool as often as I can to try and get the hang of it. I managed to stand up on the board once which was pretty cool.” Cleon said with a slight grin.

“Good, good. Alright, I’ve outlined the shape, so I want you to cut it it. Just follow the bold line and you should be fine on your own.” Randal said, handing him the pole saw which he took gingerly, setting it against the edge of the block and letting it rest there for a moment before he started working his way across towards the bold line.

With the way the saw worked, it was less about the pressure he was exerting and more about the angular momentum. Rotating his wrist was a way he had learned to avoid unnecessarily straining his hand while he worked to match the bold line Randal had made. It looked a lot easier than he had made it out to be as had to follow the curving top line slowly to avoid cutting to much in the wrong direction and he hadn’t even touched the bottom yet where there were several small triangles he wasn’t sure he could manage with his lack of skill.

As he was coming to the tail, working the saw up the gentle curve while trying not to let his grip slip, Randal slowed him down with a hand, before taking the block of wood and tool from him.

“Why don’t you give you hand a break and let me finish cutting it out.” Randal said as the stairs creaked outside the shop and they both turned towards the noise. “Go ahead upstairs and see who that is up there and if they need help. I’ll join you shortly.”

WC - 925
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Something lost

Postby Cleon on May 12th, 2022, 8:06 pm

Nodding, Cleon did as he was told, coming to the top of the stairs just as the door open. Through it came in a familiar face, and a couple less familiar ones. Lexi came with two new friends this time, a short blond haired boy and another one with dark hair that looked like the broody sort he had seen about Syka every now and again.

“Have you decided to try your hand at surfing?” Cleon asked as he worked his way across the shop till he was behind the counter. The trio spread out a bit throughout the shop with Luke looking at the boards with Julian, while Lexi walked right up to the counter.

“That depends. Are these lessons free?” Lexi asked, a hint of a smile playing behind her lips as she leaned against the counter towards him. She noticed his reflexive glance downward, and arched an eyebrow mischievously.

“Nothing is free, but I’d be willing to barter.” Cleon said after clearing his throat, and suddenly found something interesting to do behind the counter that hid his reddening face from view. The only thing back there was a rag, and a couple of bottles that they used to pour drinks for guests. He felt a pang of temptation looking at the bottles but decided to resist it for the moment, instead focusing in on the silver charm on his wrist. Cleon smiled a bit. There was an idea.

“Oh really, well I’m sure we could come to an arrangement. Surfing lessons first though” Lexi teased as he stood back up from behind the counter with the rag, he started cleaning the counter. Julian and Luke started walking over then, and Cleon gave them a small wave, glad for the distraction.

“Hey, I don’t think we’ve formally met before. My name is Cleon.” He said as he reached out mentally towards the charm on his wrist, activating it with a thought. That was growing easier and easier to do the more often he did it, and at this point it felt almost like manipulating a tool. Then all of their thoughts came flooding right in.

WC - 357
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Something lost

Postby Cleon on May 13th, 2022, 4:20 pm

This is the boy who can’t stop gawking at everything with a skirt. He smells like he crawled into a bottle already. Wow, he really is staring. It would be easy to get him wrapped around my finger. I wonder what he does in this shop? I bet I could get a serious discount if these two hadn’t followed me here. Petch this place is so boring. Wonder if he will actually take us surfing or just blow us off like the rest of the adults.

Why is Lexi looking at this guy like that. I don’t like him. He reeks. I hear he’s a no good drunk, worse that Artik even. How did this bum even get this job? I wish I could wipe that stupid smile off his face. Oh look he’s frowning now. He must realize Lexi isn’t interested in him. This boy would never make it one chime in Ravok. Fool.

When are we going to go surfing? I’m bored. Lexi promised we were going to do something fun but all we are doing is talking to this stinky man. I’m hungry, and Lexi won’t let me go swimming. Doesn’t she know I can swim better than any of them? I’m not afraid like they are. Those waves are more my home than anything else is. Come on Lexi, lets gooooo.

The thoughts that came to him were not ones he had been entirely expecting, though they were along the same vein Kyle’s had been. Just orphan children struggling to adjust to their new circumstances. Lexi’s came first, followed by Julian’s, and then Luke’s, filtering his consciousness as a range of emotions flickered across his face.

Lexi’s smile curdled into something that was more suspicious, and distant as Cleon felt like he was watching the thoughts behind her eyes.

Blinking several times he forced on a smile as he drummed is knuckles hard on the counter top.

“I’m a bit busy right now. Orders to fill, you know. But I’ll arrange you all free lessons sometime. How about tomorrow even? We’ll meet by the community pool.

Lexi grinned at that, and Julian looked like he was faking a smile while Luke was the only one that wore his frown honestly on his face. Putting her hands on her hips, Lexi leaned away from the counter and looked at the other two.

“Well I guess we’ll get out of your hair then, but see you tomorrow okay?” Lexi said as she tried to push Luke along in front of her while Julian shot him a glare before sulking behind the pair.

“Sure.” Cleon said, working his jaw slowly as he watched them leave the shop and then leaned against the counter to take in a deep breath as he released it slowly through his nose. He had to be more careful about when he used that charm next time. Possibly wait till they were busy with their lessons tomorrow so he might be able to catch them off their guard.

After his initial experience with Kyle he was sure that these children knew something about the curses that they weren’t letting on about, and since then he had plenty of opportunities to explore his charm’s abilities, learning quickly that it refreshed every day but could only lasted for around five chimes.

As he was puzzling over just how he might provoke such thoughts Randal came up the stairs with the wooden piece he had been working on, and Cleon offered him a slight grin.

“You finished it?” Cleon asked.

“Yup. Take a look.” Randal said, showing the piece to him. Turning it over in his hand, he appreciated the details Randal had worked into the wood.

“Thank you for doing this. I think this will be appreciated by whoever looks after those Ixams.” Cleon said.

“No problem. I think its a good thing you are thinking of other people like that. I overheard you offering the those children a chance to learn to surf.” Randal said.

Cleon felt a pang of guilt as his face tightened. “I didn’t mean to volunteer your time or anything like that. I was going to ask-”

Randal held up a hand. “Its quite alright. I’ll be happy to hold a lesson for everyone tomorrow. I think it will be good for the surf shop. Certainly should drum up some interest.” Randal said patting him on the back. “Now go on and deliver this to the Protea. Just leave it out somewhere for them to find.”

Cleon nodded, holding the figurine carefully as he moved to do just that. “Thank you again. I’ll be right back.” He said as he left out the door and quickly went down the stairs.

It didn’t take him long to get back to the Protea. There were a few Ixams lounging about outside which drew out a small smile from him as he crossed up the front of the Inn.

Once he was inside through the front doors he found the common room mostly empty which wasn’t really a surprise. It was past lunch, and wasn’t quite dinner so everyone was off either working or settling business around the settlement.

Because he didn’t know exactly where they stayed in the Inn he decided to leave the carving on the main table. Then to make sure it was found, and draw attention to it he grabbed a couple of bowls and set them in a neat little stack behind the carving.

He then went to look for the scrap of paper he had gotten from the Innkeeper whenever they had met his first night here. The day they realized that there were curses at work in the settlement though he hadn’t known the extent at the time.

It took some searching but eventually he found it tucked underneath the edge of the bed. Unfolding it, his eyes latched onto something. A name. Tazrae. Immediately he headed back into the common room, and after folding the note till it showed only the name he tucked it underneath the carving before quietly leaving the Inn.

He still had a long afternoon of clerking to do, and that was usually when they saw the most traffic so he did his best to hustle back. As for the carving, he hoped no one would disturb it besides who it was meant for. It was just a shame he couldn’t remember even their name.

WC - 1,072
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Something lost

Postby Cleon on June 6th, 2022, 8:36 pm

Grade Award!

Cleon:

Skills:

Carving: 1
Logic: 2
Investigation: 1
Observation: 2
Rhetoric: 2
Socialization: 3

Lores:

Carving: Starting with a depiction
Carving: Trimming an outline
Julian: Has been to Ravok
Julian: Appearance and mannerisms
Julian: Dislikes Cleon
Luke: Appearance and mannerisms
Luke: Loves to swim
Investigation: Reading minds for clues
Rhetoric: Bribing with promises
Spiral Crown Charm: Appearance and usage
Spiral Crown Charm: Five chime time limit
Protea Inn: Location & Appearance
Leaving a gift for the innkeeper

Feel free to pm me with questions or concerns about your grade, and don’t forget to edit your grade request! :)
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)