Through the turbulence

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Through the turbulence

Postby Cleon on May 13th, 2022, 5:40 pm

58th of Spring, 522 A.V.

They ended up having to wait till about mid afternoon for their lessons because the wind and rain that morning had kept them inside until it had run its course. Once freed though Randal and Cleon gathered up the three, along with little Brea and Kelton tagging along till they had quite the crowd going into the community pool. While Kelton and Brea were playing in one of the outflows the three older children along with Cleon gathered by Randal who had brought along three boards with Cleon’s help.

“Okay, we are going to do this one at a time. First Cleon is going to show you all what he has learned then we are going to let the girls get a try, and then the boys, okay?” Randal said as he was getting the first surf board into the water.

Not waiting to be asked, Cleon waded in after it until he was waist deep in the pool with his arms balanced across it. He didn’t look at anyone, just focused on the board. Because he didn’t really have anything suited for the water, he went in without a scrap of clothing, something he would have never been able to see himself doing at the start of the season. Now though with his inhibitions lowered, and the general easy going nature of most Sykans he found that he didn’t half mind it on his trips to the pool. It was a lot more refreshing this way, and he didn’t run the risk of ruining any of his clothes this way.

He tried not to pay attention to any giggles or whispered remarks as he climbed onto the board, pushing himself up till his arms were straight and then throwing a leg over the side. After having practiced that particular maneuver several different times during the season, he found it not too difficult thought he still struggled to find his balance as he found his seat.

Arching his back, and placing a hand in front of himself he managed to keep himself upright after holding that position for a chime. When he looked over, he saw that Randal had brought another board into the water and was swimming in after it. He gave the man a broad smile that faltered a bit when he met Julian’s gaze who was obviously glowering at him. Luke seemed to be flitting between watching Brea and Kelton play in the runoff and Randal, not paying him much attention which was find. Lexi on the other hand was just the opposite, although she alternated obviously between looking him and Randal over in a way that made Cleon feel self conscious of how he had been frequently caught looking at women.

Fortunately Lexi was clothed in a wrap that hid the bits that would have caused him to blush further, although the shape of her curves underneath the fabric was more than enough to make him try and avoid directly looking at her during the lesson.

WC - 500
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Through the turbulence

Postby Cleon on May 13th, 2022, 5:41 pm

He didn’t much pay attention to what any of the children were wearing, or even what they were doing for that matter. He was focused on not falling off this board in front of Lexi, and not ogling Lexi's body too obviously.

It was strange. He was pretty sure she wasn’t as young as the rest of the orphans, and this only seemed to confirm it. In fact, he suspected she was his age or maybe a little older but he had heard rumors that she was supposed to be younger.

“Okay Cleon, try standing on top of the board and I’ll simulate the sea.” Randal said, taking Cleon way from his contemplations. Nodding a little nervously he leaned forward on the board till his hands were flat like he was going to do a push up, then he extended his arms to their full length before shifting his weight forwards.

With Randal guiding the surf board along it was a bit different than what he was used to so he wobbled as he sought to pull his right leg out of the water, catching a glimpse of Kelton and Brea staring at him out of the corner of his eye. Trying to block them out, he gripped the side of the board as he stayed as still as he could manage across the top of it before bringing his knee up and onto the board. The next movement he made quickly, doing the same with his left leg so that he was straddling the board on all fours.

For a solid tick, he thought he was going to slip off going with the momentum of Randal’s movements but the man wasn’t pushing him along particularly quickly as there wasn’t that much room to maneuver in the pool. So once he had adjusted to the pace, Cleon shifted his weight so it was balanced between his arms and legs before he slowly inched back to sit on his legs which were currently bent underneath him. However before he could extend them he toppled over into the water with a splash and came up to the sound of much giggling and Randal giving him a big sympathetic smile.

“Not bad. Better even.” Randal said to him as he held the board still for Cleon to reach it. Still not quite so attuned with the finer points of swimming, he felt himself flop across the pool like a lame fish, slapping at the water with his arms and legs before he remembered he could let himself float to take off most of the work. Still that required him to allow himself onto his stomach instead of treading water vertically, but he did it anyways because any hesitation at this point would just make him seem more awkward than it already looked. There were still a few giggles going about, and he could hear Julian saying something to Lexi. Fortunately he couldn’t make out the words, just mouth noises over his vigorous splashing as he changed up his strokes to be more deliberate.

WC - 510
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Through the turbulence

Postby Cleon on May 13th, 2022, 5:42 pm

With his arms pushing the water out to his sides, and his legs kicking off the water to keep him abreast of it while on his stomach, Cleon did his best to position his body in a way that he would reach the board without much more effort and once he had grasped onto its edge he pulled himself astride it, and took a breather able to keep himself afloat with just his legs as Randal guided them towards the run off.

There Brea and Kelton grabbed a piece of board before Randal guided them over to where Lexi and Juilian were. Cleon blinked, looking about for Luke and panicking when he didn’t see the boy but then he surfaced out of the water close by and he released the breath he didn’t know he had been holding.

“I wouldn’t worry about that one. Boy’s a natural born swimmer, better than any fish I’d reckon.” Randal suggested quietly as they reached the edge of the pool. Although he didn’t have much trouble touching the bottom of the pool with his feet, Cleon did his best to keep afloat at an angle so he could keep practicing swimming with his legs, and happened to look over at Brea who seemed to take an interest.

She was treading water much the way he first had upon entering the pool for the first time, and seeing that he decided to help while Randal was speaking with Julian and Lexi.

“Do you want some help?” He asked as he slowly found the ground with his feet before standing up. At this part of the pool the water went up to about the middle of his belly when he stood up out of the water, and when Brea nodded, he reached out to offer his hands, hesitating only for a moment when he realized how many arms she had.

Brea giggled. “You haven’t met an Eypharian before have you?” She said as she gently took his hands with hers. Well two sets of them at least while her lower arms she used to haphazardly paddle at the water. It was an odd feeling, but Cleon tried not to let it show on his face as he guided the girl away from the surf board so she could thrash freely.

“Do you want to try next?” He asked Kelton as he looked over at the boy briefly. The kid gave him an odd smile as he shook his head and swam over. He could tell just by watching that the boy had at least some experience although he wasn’t very graceful, mostly treading water in a forward paddling motion that he had seen rats do back in Sunberth.

Cleon wrinkled his nose at the unflattering comparison, and was suddenly glad that Kelton didn’t have the same power his charm granted him. Speaking of, he suddenly remembered the whole point of this exercise. The reason he suggested it in the first place and felt briefly embarrassed for having forgotten after seeing Lexi’s body bared for the pool. Even more uncomfortable having that thought now he thought blinking several times.

“You’re doing great. Lets swim over to them to see what they are up to.” Cleon suggested as he guided Brea along by the hands, letting her get a feel for paddling while he walked backwards in the water. Kelton kept up easily enough though the going was slow for the boy, and when he started to lag Cleon stopped to let the boy grab his arm, dragging him alongside Brea then as he worked to be closer to the rest of the group. He wanted to make sure he had everyone together before he used his charm.

“-now you are going to fall, but its nothing to be embarrassed about. I still fall on occasion. Hmph! You just need to learn how to fall safely and watch your head when you come up. Now Julian why don’t you try to get on the board. Bahhh” Randal asked. He made quite the sight deep into the stages of his curse, looking more bestial by the day. By now the transformation had fixed itself in these magnificent horns that framed his shaggy head. His nose definitely protruded much farther now, with a slope to it before it flattened giving the lower half of his face an almost oval shape. Not to mention how much hair the man had now. Still, he wore it well, better than others had their curses, but he could see how much it wore on him. The fact that he remained so kind and generous was a testament to his personality.

Everyone for the most part was used to his particular difficulty with speech though he could see some of the younger children suppressing smiles whenever it happened, and he couldn’t blame them for their mirth. Neither did Randal seem to let it get to him as he guided Julian on top of the board to let him get a feel for the balance of it.

Reaching out mentally towards where his charm was, he activated it, bracing himself for the rush of thoughts that were sure to come with so many people around him.

WC - 870
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Through the turbulence

Postby Cleon on May 13th, 2022, 7:24 pm

Because he was looking at Lexi, hers were the first that started to filter in. A rush disjointed mess that didn’t at all line up with her flirtatious outward mood. It was almost jarring.

Is this when they’re going to do it. Have someone come out of the jungle and snatch us up? Is it because they found out? How could they, I’ve been so careful. I even shifted my posture around and control my voice. How could they have found out that I am eighteen? I bet its one of these brats that found out and snitched on me. Probably Luke. I wish James had never picked him up out of the water and-

Cleon shifted his gaze towards Luke who was to his surprise, watching them all rather carefully. His thoughts were much more ordered, strange even, almost like he was walking into a half empty room with the voice echoing around him. Although he couldn’t quite put his finger on it, he was sure that Luke wasn’t entirely human whatever he was. Just a creeping feeling he got tingling across the back of his neck as the boy’s thoughts slid through his mind.

Is this really what human’s do for fun? Brea seems to be very intent on that hairy fellow, Randal. I wonder why? I don’t care I guess. I’m just glad that the boy Kyle is not here. He is snoops around too much. I am positive he is up to something. What does Julian keep looking down at and-

Luke’s thoughts abruptly cut off as the boy looked at him. Cleon looked away afraid of meeting the boys gaze and coming away with the distinct impression that the boy knew he had been reading his thoughts. Coming off of that unsettling suggestion Cleon looked about the pool settling on Brea who was still treading water holding his hands but paying far more attention to Randal now.

Whens it going to be my turn on the board? I want Randal to teach me how to surf, and swim. I think he wants to too. He’s just trying to not show favoritism in front of the others. I hope he picks me next. Maybe I should splash to get his attention. We look a lot alike when I think about it. I’m pretty sure he knows my mother, and that he’s secretly my father but embarrassed to tell me. Adults are so stupid sometimes. He should just tell me so we can start being a family again.

Bewildered and not getting anything useful he turned to look at Kelton who sounded a lot more afraid than he looked.

Are we really just out here to learn how to swim and learn how to surf? I think this is just a trick to get us away from the commons where everyone can see us. They want to split us up so they can get rid of us in the jungle without anyone noticing. I wish that bitch Lexi hadn’t forced us all to come out here so she could moon at Randal and Cleon. I’m glad Brea is here though. She’s always been nice to me and it isn’t so bad.

His gaze flicked over to Julian then, well aware his time with the charm was running thin. Julian’s thoughts were more of a mental grumble easy to sort through as he worked his way onto the board.

I hate this place. I hate Randal, and goofy looking Cleon. I wish I was doing anything else. I can’t believe I got this petching rash. I know I should got see someone about it, but what if its a STD. Oh gods please don’t let it be an STD. No one will ever want to touch me if it is. I wonder if Cleon would no-

The charm winded down, and the thoughts left his mind. Cleon blinked several times to adjust to the lack of thoughts coursing through his mind as he watched little Brea was still seemingly star struck by Randal. She could hardly focus on her own swimming because of it just paddling away without keeping herself afloat much. Cleon just had to smile at the sight of her so enamored with Randal. It was too adorable.

WC - 712
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Through the turbulence

Postby Cleon on June 6th, 2022, 9:13 pm

Grade Award!

Cleon:

Skills:

Logic: 1
Investigation: 1
Observation: 3
Socialization: 1
Swimming: 2
Surfing: 2
Teaching: 2

Lores:

Teaching: Showing how to climb a surfboard
Kelton: Appearance and Mannerisms
Surfing: Riding a simulated wave
Swimming: Letting your body do most of the work
Luke: Good swimmer
Teaching: Showing Brea how to swim
Lexi: Worried about slavers
Lexi’s secret: Actually eighteen
Luke: Can sense mind reading
Brea: Thinks Randal is her father
Kelton: Doesn’t trust Sykans
Kelton: Dislikes Lexi
Kelton: Likes Brea
Julian: Thinks he has an STD
Julian: Dislikes Randal
Brea: Is an Eypharian

Feel free to pm me with questions or concerns about your grade, and don’t forget to edit your grade request! :)
Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)