Closed Hard truths and comforting lies II

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Hard truths and comforting lies II

Postby Farren on June 19th, 2022, 3:01 pm

18th of Spring, 522 AV (Flashback)

Farren did not expect to come out of an even larger dovecote, but looking around she saw that was exactly what it was and it wasn’t only stone doves populating the eaves that spiraled around the grand pillars to her left and right. No there were all sorts of doves here, kinds she didn’t even know existed, and a pretty one with a white coat flapped to the floor in front of her to peck at some seed on the ground. Farren smiled tentatively, still taking it all in. She was standing outside of two massive double doors, her back to a grand wall that wrapped around the place she was currently looking over. Over her head a blanket of stars stretched across a cloudless night, and the full face of Leth illuminated the tops of the buildings there with a silvery sheen.

It was so strange to see almost nothing made of the wood she was used to, with most of the buildings here being made of elaborately carved stone and more solid than she thought a structure had any right to be. Everything here was just so well made, and there were people here, plenty of them about even as the evening turned into night. They strode about the shadows laughing, joking, and distantly there were quite a few instruments playing. Here was a warm night, but not nearly as humid as it was back in Sunberth so she didn’t shirk her cloak just yet even though she was sweating under it. However she did let it lay loosely gathered about her shoulders as she took a few steps forward to look out onto the courtyard below.

Everything about this place had a pleasant design to it, and it smelled a far sight better too Farren thought, picking up the smell of nearby flowering bush as she took a sniff. It smelled sweet, almost honey like with small white flowers blooming from a deep green bush. As she took a step closer, she saw that they had little golden straws coming from their middle. Farren took another long sniff, savoring how much different the night air was here as she heard the great double doors open behind her.

Reflexively she tensed as she turned around to look up the stair and saw a man that she did not recognize looking at her with a warm smile. Farren felt strangely like she had been caught doing something she shouldn’t have, and stammered. “I’m sorry, I was just looking. I didn’t touch your busy. I’m new here.” She rattled off the information as quickly as it came to her head, not sure exactly who this man was or what he wanted to hear and feeling totally off balance because of it. To her surprise the man simply raised his hands and made a gesture like it was nothing.

“Feel free to smell or look at the flowers as much as you like. You can even pick one if you want. Their nectar tastes a bit like honey.” The man said in a tone that was equally as warm as his smile, and confidently he walked down the stairs till he was on the same one as her. Reaching to the bush on the opposite side of the stair, he plucked one of the white flowers then drew out one of the straws from the middle, holding it up for a moment before popping the end in his mouth. He grinned. “You should try it. Its quite the interesting experience.”

Farren gave him a confused look, glancing over at the bush on her side and back at the man before shaking her head. “No thanks, I’ll pass. I was- well, do you know where the Inn is?” She asked, biting her lower lip as she chanced a look down at her feet before looking back up at the man. It was the first time that she really, really looked at him. He was wearing a dark colored vest that didn’t cover much of his bare chest, and had on what she could only figure was a dark colored skirt that trailed down to his ankles with a slight gap up the side so he could move easily with it. She didn’t know what to make of this peculiar fashion choice but she kept her emotions mostly from her face as she looked back into those soft gray eyes of his.

Despite the skirt he was very masculine in appearance, with a square jaw covered in light brown stubble that merged with his shaggy brown hair that he wore short. The skin around his eyes was a little more weathered than the rest of his face that created deep wrinkles whenever his expression changed, but that wasn’t to say that he looked old. More like experienced which made them more handsome than anything else. As an amused looked crossed over his features, Farren belatedly realized she had been gawking and flushed with the realization, averting her face slightly as she brought her hand to her mouth.

“You really are new to these parts. Its alright, you’ll get used to the dress here eventually and maybe even adopt the fashion as I have.” He said, gesturing to himself before producing a small slip of parchment from his vest pocket. “This is a general map of the Outpost. It lays out the popular locations. See you are here.” The man said, pointing out a position on the north side of the map where the top of the wall started. “If you follow along this route here you can reach the Khamsin Inn within a few chimes at the most.”

Farren took the map, slowly following his finger before looking up from the map to get her bearings. It really didn’t seem that far if she was to go off of this map. Certainly far easier than traversing the breath of Sunberth. Still, she was nervous about doing so in the dark although in general the public areas seemed to be well lit. She traded a nervous look with the man before extending her hand. “Thank you. My name is Farren by the way. I’m- well I was in Sunberth before I came here.”

Recognition shifted within those soft gray eyes of his as his bright smile tempered somewhat. “You don’t have to fear the dark around here Farren. The Keiss patrol these streets, and keep everyone safe. No one will steal from you, or try to do anything you don’t want them to, rest assured. My name is Paul Resan. It is a pleasure to meet you.” He said, giving her a firm handshake as she looked around once more out onto the courtyard below. Farren wanted desperately to believe what he said was true, but she couldn’t believe such an impossibility on his word alone. Every instinct of hers was telling her quite the opposite as she pulled the cloak about herself despite the warm night. She threw over the hood of her cloak for a little bit more covering but still she felt exposed and vulnerable.

“Thank you Paul. I will be sure to keep that in mind.” She said, her words drifting as she picked out the route she would take through the courtyard before her. Then suddenly coming back into herself, she looked back at Paul and gave him a small smile. “I hope to see you again in the morning when the world is not full of shadows. Have a fair night Paul.”

“You too Farren.” Paul said, letting go of her hand and simultaneously reminding Farren that she had kept her fingers lingering there for far too long. Petch, she really was out of sorts tonight. She gave Paul a slight embarrassed nod as she started walking down the last few stairs and out into the well lit courtyard where quite a few musicians were busy entertaining any that passed by. The music was fairly eclectic with a range of styles that where so unlike the music that haunted the average den in Sunberth. It was almost good enough to make her want to linger, but exhaustion tugged at the corners of her eyes as her adrenaline had long since worn off. She needed a warm bed to pass the night, and preferably even a meal if one could be had.

WC - 1,393

Farren
Player

Words: 54755
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2022, 12:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hard truths and comforting lies II

Postby Farren on June 19th, 2022, 3:02 pm

She hurried across the square, hunched low under her cloak as she made her way across to where the map said she could find the Khasmin Inn. To her continued surprise this place was much bigger than she expected, the top of the stone building towering far above her and encompassing a courtyard of its own in the middle. A bit confused about where the entrance was, she circled around the building once before going through the largest set of doors to find herself in a small open area that then lead out into the courtyard in the middle. A woman with long, dark brown hair and hazel eyes appeared from around the side of a table she had been preparing dough on and dusted off her floury hands as she walked up to Farren.

“Hello miss, my name is Pashina. Will you be wanting a room then?” She asked in a chipper tone that immediately set Farren at ease, thankful to have been greeted by a woman instead of a man after the night she’d had. Farren nodded meekly, and brushed a lock of hair behind her ear as she looked at the woman whom was dressed in a gauzy light colored shirt, and loose flowing creme trousers that gathered at the ankles. Noticeably she also went barefoot, though her feet were clean. A small black and white spotted cat came out of the shadows then and brushed up against her leg purring, catching Farren off guard with a nervous giggle.

“Um, yes I would like a room. It doesn’t need to be a very large one either. Just something to pass the night in.” Farren said, crouching down slightly to give the cat scratches behind the ear before standing back up again. Naturally the cat protested with a plaintiff meow and head butted her leg which she dutifully ignored with a slight bit of amusement on her face. Pashina seemed to not be surprised at all, and instead was taking a look at the keys on her belt, pulling off one and handing it to her.

“Rent is two gold miza for the night sweetie. I’m afraid dinner has already come and gone, but I can bring you by a platter of snacks for a few silver miza. Right this way..” Pashina said leadingly. Farren picked up on the prompt right away.

“Farren, and thank you for the room Pashina. That would be fine.” Farren said, digging out the required mizas from her purse before putting them into Pashina’s hand as the skirted along the inside of the courtyard towards a room in the back. Inside the courtyard itself there was quite a bit of activity still going on with people lounging in chairs enjoying glasses of wine and cakes as they joked and jested with one another.

“The courtyard is open to all residents here, and I think you’ll find the company here more than pleasant to be around if you decide to stay here for longer than a night.” Pashina said, finally stopping in front of a door and gesturing for her to open the lock. “I’ll be right back with that platter of snacks, just sit tight. Oh, and welcome to the Khamsin Inn.” Pashina gave Farren a friendly smile, patting her on the shoulder before walking off at a steady clip, her bare feet pattering against the stone floor. Farren turned the key and opened the door to a rather well appointed room with better furnishings she had expected. She was taken aback about how beautiful and neat it all looked, though for two gold miza she reconsidered that she supposed it should look this good.

Still it was hard to believe this was actually real as she walked in, letting the door drift shut behind her. She trailed her fingers across the top of the wooden table before crossing the room to her bed for the night which while resting on the floor looked quite comfortable, though she resisted the urge to lay down, knowing she would have quite a bit of trouble getting up if she did so with the way her body felt. Instead she drifted over to the chair, sitting down on it and feeling immense relief as her body sagged into the chair.

Feeling at least a little comfortable now, she shrugged out of her cloak and stretched out on the chair as Pashina politely knocked on the door then poked her head through the crack she made in the door. “If you’re not decent I can come back.” The woman said, surprising Farren briefly out of her reverie.

“No its fine, come on in.” Farren said a tick later, and then gave Pashina a tired smile as the woman came in with the wooden plater and laid it across the table. On it was a pile of cookies, cakes and dried fruit that had her belly rumbling something fierce as she looked gratefully up from the platter to the woman that brought it. “Thank you Pashina.”

“Its no problem dear. Breakfast starts around the fifth bell and goes until the ninth. I hope I see you in the morning then, but if not, it was a pleasure running into you when I did.” Pashina said quickly as she hustled out of the room.

“Likewise.” Farren called out, the only word she felt she could get out before the woman left and closed the door behind her. Stomach grumbling, she looked over at the plate of snacks and decided to start with a light yellow cake that was sweet, but not overly so though it left her mouth feeling dry. Fortunately she had brought her waterskin along with her, and she took a pull of that as she indulged with the rest of the selection. It was just starting to come down to her just how much miza she had spent in such a short amount of time, and part of her felt guilty for eating like she was, but honestly she was too exhausted to worry about that right now. Besides she deserved a bit of enjoyment after the day she’d had, and maybe even a bath she thought as she looked over at the tub. That sounded like just the thing to. A nice warm soak to get the stink of tonight off of her before she got down to bed.

Smiling to herself, Farren decided to do just that, taking a brief moment to admire the soaps and oils on hand while the tub filled up. Thoughts of tomorrow drifted into obscurity as the needs of the moment became more prescient. Pretty soon she was enjoying that warm water all over, scrubbing the night from her skin until she felt like a brand new person crawling under the luxuriously soft linen blankets and perhaps she was a new person. This was the Outpost after all, where all manner of strange outlandish things could happen. Who said she couldn’t change herself anyways she thought as finally she drifted off to sleep.

WC - 1,174

Farren
Player

Words: 54755
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2022, 12:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets