Closed A gentle suggestion (Askalynn)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A gentle suggestion (Askalynn)

Postby Cleon on July 2nd, 2022, 1:11 pm

7th of Summer, 522 AV

Early morning and late afternoon were among Cleon’s favorite times to be out on the deck of the Protea Inn, looking out onto the water. He had a new blend in his pipe today thanks to his magical tobacco tin. This one was a strange collection of yellow petals blended with tobacco to give it a smooth, sweet finish that lingered on the tongue. He was taking his time with it, with slow drags and deep inhales that he tried to keep inside of him for as long as possible before breathing out a puff of smoke through his nose and mouth. It was something of a morning ritual for him now. Checking his tin and smoking its contents. He had last season partially to thank for this habit, but he knew that wasn’t the whole of it. His compulsions were missing, and he felt much better because of it, however in their absence he’d lost something of himself because he had become a different person over the course of last season.

With the absence of those compulsions, it left him with no choice but to face the hard choice of those feelings and thoughts that lingered. Smoking was his way of avoiding those hard choices. For now anyways, so long as it worked to occupy his mind on during these idle periods and supplementing his evenings with drink.

Another puff of his pipe, and the cherry went out as he cashed the bowl into his palm and then dusted his hands off. He almost brushed his hands onto his brand new cream isuas breeches, but managed to resist the urge at the last moment. On this fine afternoon to better enjoy any stray breezes he was dressed simply in a pair of breeches and a set of sandals, and his mark of Laviku as currently swirling across his upper chest where he could just barely see it out of the corner of his eye. He yearned to go out to the sea just then but wasn’t sure if he would have time. He'd promised to meet with Uta late, and that woman had been far too kind to him for him to miss out on conferring with her.

So instead he turned his attention to the silvery bracelet on his wrist, and the small golden satchel intertwined within its links. He brought his mind to one of the books stored within, and a blink later it was in his hands. It was a rather large book, bound in thick leather that had been dyed a dark red but the most notable thing about it was the bright green eye fixed in the center of it, and just below that a toothy maw that gaped at him.

“What do you want?” It groused.

“Nothing really. Just to talk I guess.” Cleon mused, standing up and holding the book gingerly before him so it was facing him. “Are you willing to be a little less ornery if I show you around?”

“Would it matter how I answered?”

Cleon laughed, shook his head slightly and just started walking.

“Y’know. If you were less rude, maybe I wouldn’t keep you stored away for such long stretches of time so how about we start over. My name is Cleon, what is your name?” He asked, with a slight smirk quirking the corners of his lips.

If a single eye could eye roll, this one did an admirable impression. “Can’t you read dear boy.”

Cleon squinted at the book for a moment, then turned it over in his hands to have a look at the spine which read Silas Wordsmith’s journal on Morphing.

“I don’t understand. Which part of that is your name? Silas? Can a book have its own journal?” He mused aloud much to the disgruntlement of the book in his hands which huffed and puffed and did an excellent job of letting its displeasure be known.

“Of course not fool boy. I was created by Silas. I am merely a book and so do not have a name. I suppose though if you must call me something, Silas will do.”

“What’s morphing?” Cleon asked.

“Its something Silas spent a great time studying.”

It was Cleon’s turn to eye roll now as this had been a common refrain coming from the book since it had come into his possession early last season. The book was as stubborn as it was grouchy on this point which made Cleon think that it certainly had to have some secrets worth keeping if it was being this evasive. Of course that made him all the more interested in what it was possibly trying to keep from him, but so far he had been unlucky in his attempts to convince it in divulging any of its secrets.

Cleon sighed, and felt on the verge of putting back in his charm when on a whim he decided to keep it out for a little while longer. After all he still had some time to kill and it was amusing irritating the book. He decided to settle on one of the swings that lined the stretch of beach that shared the name, and was on the verge of taunting the book when he saw a woman that he did not recognize which was rather remarkable in a settlement this small. Cleon gave the woman a wave after setting the book down in his lap, and called out to her. “Hello there. My name is Cleon. Are you new here?”

WC - 919

Last edited by Cleon on July 3rd, 2022, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Askalynn on July 2nd, 2022, 7:57 pm

Askalynn sat by her lonesome on Swing Beach, enjoying the vast blue, both the sea and the sky. Her shirt had the sleeves rolled up all the way to her elbows, making the weather just a tiny touch more bearable than it was for her. It was still her first week in Syka, and adapting to things took time. She started learning, though, and she forwent wearing her boots around the beach. After all, she felt more comfortable that way. More in touch with her inner self and with nature, or so she felt.

Absentmindedly, she drew a line in the sand with her foot, only perking her head up to spot a bird flying overhead. She didn't exactly feel like spreading her wings just yet, however. But it did get her thinking. How many things could she learn about this place just by flying around? Higher, above the fauna and the lush flora of Syka. Up, above, in the clear, endlessly blue skies.

The sound of waves breaking against the shore was soothing. Askalynn closed her eyes and gently rocked herself back and forth on the swing. Not with a lot of momentum, but just a tiny bit to keep the swing going. Slow, gentle motion that helped her cool down a little bit. She thought about Riverfall and her family, who she started to miss already, despite only being away from them for a week. In the way of friends, she never exactly had a whole lot, so that was a sacrifice she willingly made. Yet, there was always a draw, some sort of pull that kept her thinking about things. Some things, she couldn't simply meditate about late at night. It just felt wrong and inappropriate. Not in a bad way, but she would just thoroughly struggle meditating while thinking about her family and how they're doing. But, life had to keep on keeping on. And she was no exception — as she had to do much of the same, too.

Her mind started to wander. Wander, but going nowhere in particular. The lack of direction, always lingering at the back of her mind, started to slowly seep into her daily thoughts. What was she doing? Was she doing it right? There wasn't a way to know — at least, not just yet. She had yet to face many challenges, and surmount many obstacles that would surely be along the way. She knew this, as it was a reasonable thing to assume — or so she thought. The only thing she really knew about Syka, from speaking with people that visited it, was that the people were good. And so far, that has been her experience. People that she ran into have been nice, welcoming and pleasant overall, with a strong sense of community and individuals that contributed towards it.

Still, she didn't feel like the missing piece of the puzzle that would fit in just perfectly. Of course — she was but one Kelvic in a place where she knew no other. The downside of that was that finding someone who she can relate to on a more spiritual level would be a bit more difficult, at least initially. But on the upside, she felt more comfortable, knowing full well that her kind aren't being enslaved by others. At least, not to her awareness.

Time went by so slowly, and it was safe to say that Bowsahr spent a good chunk of her afternoon on Swing Beach. Very few things distracted her from just sitting there, taking it in and enjoying the sun. A nice tan was almost guaranteed, given how much time she had spent out and about. It made sense, after all. Askalynn opened her eyes and glanced down to her pendant. Rubbing the smooth backside of it with her thumb, she flinched as she heard a voice over to her side.

"Huh?" she murmured.

"O-oh! Oh, hello! Hi, Cleon! Yes, yes. I am new here, I moved in from Riverfall some days ago. My name, me, I am Askalynn!" she introduced herself and returned the wave with her right hand, letting go of her pendant with the other. Her brown eyes darted up and down his form before settling upon the book. She couldn't help but find herself staring for a moment too long. Who would bring a leather-bound book to the beach? Yet, it looked a little strange. As if it were out of place — or so she felt. There was something about that book, something that she couldn't exactly place her finger on.

"Do you come here to read often? I see that you have a book, yah do! What is your book about? Is it a story of old, or is it more of a codex?" she asked, her brown eyes finally hiking upwards to meet his muddy greens. She wasn't shy about eye contact, no — but she tried to not be over-assertive with it. Being too blatant and over-the-top with it would only make other people uncomfortable. She locked eyes for a few moments, then distracted herself by looking away, as if trying to spot someone, or something else out in the distance. In the meantime, her left hand was brought back up, thumbing over the heirloom pendant once more. While it had no special properties of its own, it held a special place in her heart all the same. It meant something to her, and that was special enough for Askalynn.

She slowed herself down on the swing, anchoring her feet in the sand, turning her body towards Cleon some more. Her skin, in comparison, was paler than his — but that was to be expected, really. After all, she had just moved into Syka, and spent most of the time in Riverfall trying to dodge the summer rays. Being here meant adapting to new things — climate and temperature being one of those. But, she embraced change! Embraced it in hopes of finding guidance that she sought, so being exposed to the elements wasn't exactly a bad thing.

1005 Words
Askalynn
Player

Words: 22899
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2022, 1:19 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cleon on July 3rd, 2022, 1:12 pm

Cleon’s smile was a tentative one as he wasn’t quite so used to someone speaking the way Askalynn did. Fortunately it was not Blue Vision he had smoked earlier or he might not have been able to concentrate at all. He followed along. Nodding every once and a while, then looked down at his book, turning it over so it was face up. Just then it occurred to him how odd this must look. Him talking to a book that looked more like a monster than anything else while prancing around shirtless on the beach. The only thing that could have completed the odd image was his sword which he had regrettably left back in his room. He was still unfamiliar carrying such a weapon, and that blade looked eerily similar to the one he wielded in his visions. Cleon turned his attention back to Askalynn, his gaze flicking up from the pendant she was toying with to her face.

“Nice to meet you Askalynn annnnd, not quite.” He said, looking briefly down at the book. “This was more of a spontaneous thing. I was thinking about going swimming but decided to do this instead.” Cleon paused for a chime, searching for the words to properly answer her question about the book in his lap without coming off a bit too strange. Then he realized the impossibility of that task. It said something about how much he had changed over the course of last season that the least odd thing about him now was how lightly he was dressed, and the bright blue mark of Laviku on skin that seemed to be constantly in motion.

“This book? Well. I suppose its a book on morphing whatever that is. I’ve tried to figure it out for a little under a season, but I just can’t get it to open.” He laughed, then felt a pang of apprehension as he studied Askalynn’s face, wondering how she would react. There was still a bit of that fear in him. A fear of the unknown that went hand in hand with the expectation that there were people out there that hated magic even more than than he did when he was living back in Sunberth. He had a long time to come to terms with his miraculous rescue from the water which went a long way to prepping him for the events that would unfold in Syka scarcely a season later, but still there was this hesitation within him where others were concerned.

This woman though had kind, innocent face and her questions demonstrated a curiosity that he could appreciate given his own leanings in that direction. He looked down at the book and thumped it on the ‘forehead’ with a flick of his middle finger. “Hey! Don’t be rude. Introduce yourself to the lady.”

The eye spitefully glared at him from the center of the cover for a long moment, but then as something seemed to occur to it, the book closed its eye and mouth till it looked seemingly inert. Cleon blew out a long sigh, and rolled his eyes before smiling apologetically at Askalynn. “I’m sorry for my friend’s rudeness. He’s usually much more talkative that this.” He turned the book over in his hands so that it was face down. The creepy face was still a bit disturbing to him, so he tried not to look at its features as much as possible.

“So you said Riverfall? That’s interesting, and you moved here as well? Where are you staying?” He asked, and then looked briefly embarrassed at himself. “I mean, if you don’t mind saying. I stay at the Protea Inn with my sister but we’re looking to get a place of our own soon.” Cleon went quiet then to let Askalynn respond, his eyes going back to study her face then the pendant she wore around her neck. The way she touched it reminded him a lot about his own memento. A little bit of ribbon he kept in his pocket to remind himself of the sister he had left behind in Sunberth. Cleon chewed the side of his lip, and resisted the urge to retrieve it just then because it would look more than a little passing strange to reach in his pocket just then. Instead he occupied his hands by feeling out the cover of the book. He leaned forward slightly, elbows resting on his knees.

“Do you know anything about magic?” He asked hesitatingly, and looking almost sick after the question left his lips. “I… well I just ask because Spring was a very unusual season for me and quite a few strange items have come into my possession since then only I don’t know how to make sense of any of them. I never knew about magic before coming here, and yet this place seems ripe with it, and well, a good many magic users seem drawn to this place from what I can infer. Magic users? Is that even the correct word for it?” Cleon shrugged, looking down at his book now, apprehensive about how her expression would change. “This book likes to taunt me about how much I don’t know. I think that is why it hasn’t opened for me yet.”

He stroked his thumb down its spine, and then looked across the beach towards the water taking in a deep breath. “I’m sorry. You don’t have to answer any of that. Its a strange question to ask someone who has only just arrived here. Anyways what do you think of Syka so far? Do you like it? What made you decide to move if you don’t mind my asking?” There was something tied to Riverfall that he remembered a bit too late. Tazrae explained to him all to well what it was like for women in Riverfall whom were constantly being pressured to marry an Akalak. Cleon immediately regretted having asked, but the words were out there now. He tried to change the subject.

“I’m relatively new here myself. I came from Sunberth. It was a long journey to get to here, but it was worth it, even after all we went through to get to this point.” He said softly, his mind starting to drift towards particularly poignant memories from last season. “While I am certainly not the most experienced Sykan here, if there is ever anything I can do to help, don’t hesitate to come find me. I’m usually either at my job which is over at that shop over there, or at the Protea Inn which is that way.” He said, pointing the buildings out as he spoke. Tapping upon the cover of the book with his fingertips, he smiled slightly.

“I wonder if sentient books can swim.” The green eye flashed open. “Whoa there!”

WC - 1,136

Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Askalynn on July 4th, 2022, 1:29 am

A book on morphing. She let that sink in while listening to him talk, but a smile crept up on her face and it wasn't long before she was fully showing it to him. Magic fascinated her by default. Sure — Hypnotism and Projection were disciplines of Personal Magic, both familiar to Askalynn. She dabbled with both of them, so hearing about more magical niceties, naturally, intrigued her. This was only helped by her being very open-minded towards expanding her knowledge and learning new things on the way. This, here, was no exception. Just by talking to Cleon for a moment — she learned that he had a book on morphing. It was a learning opportunity, or it seemed so. Hope springs eternal, after all.

Askalynn's eyes fixated upon the book — moreso, the eye on the book itself. It held a curious appearance, and it was definitely going to be an interesting object to learn more about. Her eyes went up to Cleon's face and then back down to the book as he flicked in, grinning. She found it intriguing and exciting. And after spending a little bit of time in Syka, maybe this was just the thing she needed in order to get herself more involved in the place. After all, if she became friends with the book that Cleon had, maybe, just maybe — she would be able to learn more about it. And with this, she would most likely be able to put her knowledge into something beneficial for the community. It would, after all, anchor her into Syka with a more strongly outlined sense of purpose, and establish her as a person a little bit more.

It could very well be the perfect stepping stone, or even a springboard for further presence within Syka.
The young Kelvic canted her head to the side as Cleon inquired about Riverfall. Just as she was about to part her lips to speak, he continued. Once she got the break from Cleon to answer, so she did.

"Yes, yes. Riverfall! I have moved here, a few days ago. I stay, over — over there." she gestured loosely towards the Ranchos, proudly smiling. Although Askalynn was merely renting the place, it's sort of started to feel like the home away from home. Spacious, airy and most of all — with an excellent view.

"I rent one of the over-water ranchos from Randal. Yes, yes! Randal, one of the founders. He was nice, very nice. In fact, I quite like him. A bit zippy, the introduction. It was a little bit zippy, but I liked it. Moved quickly, which was interesting."

Her eyes darted to the book, then to his elbows which rested against his knees. "Magic?" she repeated, narrowing her eyes at him. She saw his facial expression change, but waited for an elaboration. One which she got just a few second after.

"A little bit, yes, yes. I do, a little bit. My father taught me this, he did. I also relax, let thoughts take over my whole being, then I shut them out. I close them all out, close my eyes and listen. There is something, you see, something about life around and life within you that keeps you going. You get itchy, fidgety, you move but you don't. You think about, the things you think about — the things you're feeling, at that moment! And it's great, it is. You... slowly start to delve into the unexplored. Into the strange, and the secret!" she went on, seemingly rambling for a moment.

"Sorry. Sorry. Meditative practices — great for being in touch with yourself. Your inner self." she concluded and let out a soft sigh. She arched an eyebrow as he went on to explain how the book taunted him. She found it a little bit funny that he was being pushed around by a book, but all the same — the book was no ordinary bound paper. It was a magical book at the end of it all.

"I like Syka, yes, yes. Smooth and shiny sand, very nice." she said, gently kicking some sand towards the sea with her foot, cracking a smile at that. She made sure to not kick up a huge cloud of sand that would fly all over the place and get into someone's eyes, though. Now that would've been truly rude.

Askalynn paused to take a breath before continuing; "I moved... hm. I moved, because..." she frowned a little, but proceeded to soldier on and answered it regardless. She puffed up her chest and let it all out in one breath; "Because I felt a lot of pressure, pressure I couldn't do anything about, normalized pressure from others living in Riverfall! It was, hm. It was not good, not good at all! It wasn't very bad, mind you! I haven't felt unsafe, but I felt..."

She trailed off, humming to herself for a few moments, facing the sea while contemplating an answer.

"I felt..."

"Caged?"

Askalynn shrugged her shoulders. It wasn't the best explanation, but it was more than evident how she tried to paint the picture for Cleon. Maybe a bit too vividly, however.

"I, thank you! I thank you, Cleon, I do. I'll seek you out should I need help, sometimes, sometimes I feel a little lost and out of place here, but I'm starting to suspect that might be normal." she said, blatantly gesturing to the book.

Askalynn emitted a giggle as Cleon wondered if the book could swim. Then, she jolted a little bit as the book responded in kind.
"Oh! Ah! Ah, hello, book! I'm Askalynn. What is your name?" she asked and waved, knowing full well it can not wave back. Probably.

948 Words
Askalynn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cleon on July 5th, 2022, 10:17 pm

When it was his turn to listen, he did so intently, listening to what she was saying rather than how it pertained to him. It was a skill he was working on, and one he had to make an honest effort at everyday. Askalynn for her part talked fast, and Cleon had a funny idea that if he read her mind then, her thoughts would be pretty much the same as the words that were leaving her mouth. She wasn’t like any woman he had ever come across, and having grown up with three sisters, he felt that was really saying something about the uniqueness of her personality. Having spent sometime in Riverfall himself, he wondered what it was like for her coming from a city like that to a place like this. He’d only stayed there briefly, but everything was different there to what he had known back in Sunberth, and even some of the cities they had stopped at along the way. Once, he’d almost considered staying there but he was glad he didn’t. Such a city wouldn’t have been kind on either of them, especially for Faye. They were better off here, at the edge of the world. As far away from Sunberth as possible.

Petch. He was doing it again. Once the topic of magic was touched upon, he felt a small bit of relief that her reaction was a mild one and that she seemed to have some familiarity to it. The way she described it though… well it wasn’t like anything he’d ever heard of, but he supposed he’d never tried to do what she did either. It was interesting to say the least, especially because Askalynn seemed quite passionate about it. He wondered if she knew the same sort of magic that Tazrae did to make her eyes glow or if hers was a different sort like the charms on his wrist. Cleon almost laughed at the thought. Of all the things he pictured himself doing, talking with this woman about magic on the beach was certainly not one of them. He didn’t know how he had imagined this conversation going, but he was pretty sure it wasn’t anything close to this. Shyke, the fact that he was even talking about magic at all with a stranger was a great leap for him, and he supposed he had the book in his lap to thank for that.

Cleon brushed the hair out of his eyes and then touched the gnosis mark on his chest for reassurance. The water pooled around his fingertips which always gave him the impression of waves licking at a dock’s pilings. He smiled, and kicked a bit of sand as he flashed Askalynn an amused look. His expression softened somewhat to hear what he had expected her to say of her experiences in that city. It was a gentle way to put it at least. Cleon decided not to dwell on the topic, and fortunately his little taunt managed to get a rise out of the book in his lap which Askalynn reacted to enthusiastically. This time Cleon did laugh which drew out a glower from the book. Its eyes darted towards Askalynn accusingly.

“I do not have a name. I am a book”

“He’s kidding. His name is Silas Wordsbottom or something like that.” Cleon chided, turning the book over so that it could fully face Askalynn. He was deeply amused by the fact that Askalynn took to greeting the book so freely, and couldn’t help but to smile wider as the book sputtered at his little slip of the tongue.

“Silas Wordsmith. Wordsmith. Its on my spine you little shite!”

Cleon rolled his eyes, and patted the top of the book. “You know, maybe if you weren’t so rude I would remember stuff like that. You ever think of that?” Cleon asked.

The book let out a long sigh before briefly grinding its teeth together. “Fine. I won’t insult your intelligence so long as you don’t do anything stupid.”

“But you insult everything I do.” Cleon countered.

“My point stands.”

Cleon frowned slightly as he slowly realized he had just been insulted. “Maybe we will go for that swim. What do you think Askalynn?”

“Whoa there. No need to be hasty. We can talk about this.”

“Oh really? Now you want to talk? About what?” Cleon asked.

“Well I meant you two can talk and leave me the petch out of it. Is it really so much to ask to be left alone? I was doing so well in that library before you and your friend came along and took me away from my friends.”

“Oh so you guys talked? Really? You were all so chatty while we were in the library I must have forgot.” Cleon said sarcastically.

The book huffed. “Well, not really. But it was nice being around such intellect. Now I find myself surrounded by dullards that don’t even know what magic is? What do you even need a book on morphing for if you don’t know about Djed?”

Cleon smiled. It seems like the book finally let something interesting slip. “Djed, well that I know a little bit about. I know it used to be used to fuel great sky ships, and that it can be found in everything.” He said parroting what he could remember from last season. The book seemed honestly surprised for a moment, but then went back to looking stern and gruffly up at him then across at Askalynn.

“You girl. You sound like you have a better head on your shoulders than this one. Can you kill him for me?”

Cleon’s jaw dropped open slightly. “Wow… you are rude.”

“You threatened me first.”

Cleon shook his head, and then quirked an eyebrow over at Askalynn. “Do you know any magic that will shut him up? Or I don’t know, make him nicer?” He asked, not really being serious as he flashed the woman a wry grin.

WC - 999

Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Askalynn on July 7th, 2022, 1:31 am

"I do not have a name. I am a book." Askalynn repeated with a smile on her face, watching Cleon as he butchered the author's name. She found it amusing, yet, the book itself was something she found bemusing. But, that was the interesting part. It wasn't exactly clear to her, how the book came to be or who the actual author was, but a feeling inside her assured her how it would be okay. She watched the two engage in their back-and-forth, enjoying the free source of entertainment. Not to say that she was bored — far from. She loved Swing Beach and what it had to offer, and just lazing around doing next-to-nothing in the summer heat was great. Some things were simply more fun, though. And that was normal, and to be expected, even.

Her thoughts wandered not at least for the moment, and she instead focused on the conversation at hand. Just why would a book be so disinterested and disenchanted with humanity? Askalynn found it endlessly fascinating, interacting with different kinds of people from all kinds of different backgrounds. There was always something new to learn about them, always something strange to think of, and each and every single person in this world harbored their own thoughts, motivations, goals and secrets. She couldn't help but wonder — does all that apply to sentient books? What made a person — a person? Was it the presence of thought, or articulation of such?

Either way, she nodded her head once.

"Silas Wordsmith... Silas Wordsmith. Oh! Oh, why, that is a lovely name, book! Your author, Silas, holds a wonderful name. I quite like that, actually. I do." she said and rose from the swing, walking over to Cleon and his friendly book companion.

Looking to Cleon as she inched closer, Askalynn explained: "I don't think that the book, magical as it is, would enjoy swimming. Oh, oh, it would quite hate that, actually! And, I wouldn't be mean to the book, either. The book knows what the book does... if the book is a morphing book, it knows exactly that! Try to imagine you were book. Try to, try it!"

Askalynn said with a smile on her face, casting a glance upon the... strange looking book. She thought of it as such, at the very least.
"The book knows book things, such as resting in the library surrounded by its book peers, and book friends! The book, on its own, is also a library in some special kind of way... if you think about it, the book also holds bountiful, plentiful knowledge! A plethora, myriads of wise thoughts rest within a single page of a book, Cleon!" she said and darted her eyes between the two. She was getting into maybe a little too much. Her dark brown eyes settled upon the book's eye. She established eye contact as the book addressed her, and it didn't seem like she was going to let go. Much like a predator would lock eyes with prey, her stare had a little more purpose than that of the average person.

"Can I kill him? Can I? Maybe. Probably? I believe I can, yes, yes. Yes, book. I can do that. But, book! Pray tell, book. Why would I kill him? He has been nothing but nice to me, and from what I see, he treats you more as a friend than he does treat you as one's book! I believe that, the books in the library — they would envy you and the sights you see. The stories you'd get to tell them, the knowledge you bear!"

She paused to take a quick breath, spreading her arms out almost theatrically as if to emphasize on the point being made.

"Presented with splendor of knowledge, you are! Book, you are! It is a gift, that. A gift that you should cherish, for it is truly precious. And much like you, yourself, happen to be a library of knowledge, you are being walked through many of those, at all times." Askalynn said and bent forward a little, the eye contact with the book becoming more intense by the moment. She thought quick, and she thought that trying to subtly influence the book to accept the knowledge it was being exposed to as something positive instead of only seeing it in a negative light. She thought it would be beneficial, not just for the book — but for all three of them.

For Cleon, it would open up a great learning opportunity and help him further himself as a person.
For Askalynn, it would give a better sense of purpose and identity, but also provide a learning opportunity.
And for book? Well, the deal for book wasn't exactly the best. But it wasn't exactly being played for next-to-nothing. Sure, the two would be getting a sweeter deal, but the book? Being sentient, it would get to learn more about those who aren't Silas Wordsmith, its creator.

"Book."

She started.

"Why would you want to kill him, anyways? How would you be, then? What would you do, book, what? You can not move, not that I know of, at least! For you are a book, and books do not have legs, or wings. You have nary a chance of spreading your wings to fly, book... so I ask, what would come of you? I would lug you around, until you ask someone else to kill me! The cycle is damned and self-perpetuating in all the bad, evil ways! Evil, I say, book! I say that because killing him would not be good to you, either." Askalynn said, pointing to the book, then to Cleon.

Then, she finally broke eye contact to spare Cleon a look. It was one bridling with joy and excitement, and she struggled to contain it. This wasn't just shown in her facial expression, though. She kept shifting in place as if to get a better look of the book in Cleon's possession, but she wasn't ignoring him, either.

Asked about magic, she wafted a hand before shaking her head to and fro.
"The book just needs you to keep being nice with it! You need to kill it with kindness. Isn't that right, book?"

1038 Words
Askalynn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cleon on July 12th, 2022, 2:08 pm

Cleon listened to Askalynn, deeply amused by the way she spoke to the book. For once, it didn’t have room to get in a sharp quip. In fact the book even seemed a little overwhelmed, its single eye fluttering in the middle of the page in a way that almost made Cleon laugh. His smile deepened. He was even beginning to hope that she could crack through where he had failed but the book remained quiet. At least he got to enjoy the show Askalynn put on. She was surprisingly helpful and cavalier for a complete stranger. He wasn’t exactly sure about how he felt about that just yet, but he thought he rather liked it.

When Askalynn had finished speaking, the book stopped fluttering its single eye and went completely still, almost as if it had never been animate at all. Cleon sighed, turning the book over in his hands a few times before he looked up at Askalynn with a grin. “I think you did just that.” He joked with a slight smile, and turned his wrist about so the golden charm along the underside of it was exposed. “Do you want to see a magic trick?”

Before Askalynn could answer he touched the book to the messenger bag charm and it disappeared in a wink as Cleon’s fingers closed on empty air. Cleon looked down at his empty hand and laughed. “Kind of a poor magic trick, I haven’t exactly worked out the routine yet.” He said a few ticks later when he had composed himself, and concentrating on his empty hand once more he made another book appear there. A slim, leather bound journal appeared in his right hand while in his left a small ink pot appeared in his palm and a quill between his fingers.

“I’d like to write down what you just said. I think I’d rather like to remember that. Kill them with kindness.” Cleon remarked, gently biting the tip of his tongue as he opened the journal to its first blank page after unstoppering the ink pot on the ground between his legs. He had to lean down to dip the tip of the quill in but that was better than spilling it all over himself, at least that was the thought process anyways. Putting quill to page he started to hastily scrawl out the words, cross them out because they looked like chicken scratches, and then start over again just under the first word slower this time. It didn’t look much better this time, nor the third, but at least it was somewhat legible if he squinted, and remembered what he wrote down. Cleon blew across the page of the book several times as he looked up at Askalynn.

“I’m not much of a writer, but Uta’s got me practicing so I can keep good notes about plants I learn about. Do you write?” Cleon asked still blowing across the page and then giving it a glance over. It looked dry to him, but he wasn’t sure how to be sure without smudging it. Frowning slightly, he decided to tuck part of the book underneath his leg to hang off the side of the swing while he put the ink pot and quill away. Like the book earlier, they just vanished as he touched them to the charm his wrist and concentrated on putting them away. He made sure to double check that he stoppered the ink vial before doing so. He had a slight worry that it would come loose in the charm and get all over his things in there because honestly the magical item was a great big mystery for him that he didn’t fully understand.

He looked up at Askalynn and smiled again. “What do you like to do for fun? I’m partial to swimming myself, or having conversations with inanimate objects as you’ve probably noticed.” He said, his smile turning into a slight smirk as he adjusted his gaze to look out onto the bay. The sunlight glittered off of the water invitingly, reminding him that he needed to take a board out soon to catch his first wave. It would go poorly, but not as poorly if he never tried at all. He felt a twinge of excitement of the thought of getting out onto that water and trying to ride those waves. Out there would be a world apart from the community pool and he had no idea what to expect, but he knew it would be good. Cleon tapped his leg, and smacked his lips. He could go for a drink now that he thought about it.

“Would you like a drink?” He asked as he got up off the swing to grab his wine bottle which he usually left empty and washed clean so it would be ready for any occasion he decided to use it again. He didn’t like to waste his gifts so he had gotten a lot of use of it so far, and always made a point to finish off the bottle before cleaning and putting it away. Typically he kept it in his backpack, but he found that it slipped into his messenger bag charm rather nicely so he had alternated to use that for now because there wasn’t much of a risk of it breaking in there. Still he had an idea to make a show of it so he played at reaching behind a nearby palm as he focused on drawing out the bottle, and once it was in his hand he stood up straight, chuckling when he saw the look on Askalynn’s face. His acting had been all sorts of wrong and he recognized immediately that he had not fooled her in the slightest.

Walking back over to her, he bit off the cork and then touched the small wine bottle charm on his wrist to the mouth of the bottle and pictured pouring in Bluevein gold when he suddenly realized something. “I just realized. You might actually know this wine. I acquired it from a merchant out of Riverfall. Bluevein gold he called it. I… well, I kind of got a taste for it last season and it has been my go to drink of late. Do you like wine?” He asked as the small bottle started filling the empty glass, and within a couple of chimes the container was completely filled up, and Cleon removed the charm from the mouth of the bottle. “A gift from Sivah I think. Whom else would seek to fashion such a thing.” He mused as he took a swig and then tipped the bottle towards Askalynn. The wine had a warm, buttery taste with citrus notes. An unusual combination for Cleon, but that was sort of why he liked it.

Whether or not she took the wine bottle, Cleon would sit back down on the swing and slowly start rocking back and forth, his eyes flicking back towards the water. “I met someone a while back that said we are all connected by a vast invisible web, pulling us along our guided paths, the general structure of our futures known well in advance. If you believe that, then everyone we meet we were all destined to at some point or another and that they are all put in our path for a reason.” Cleon said, speaking his words slowly as he thought around them, following the logic of what he was trying to say to Askalynn. “If that is true, and I’m inclined to think it is, then I feel fortunate to have our paths cross today Askalynn for you have helped me a great deal.” Cleon’s smile was faint as he continued to look out onto the water. He took another swig of the wine, and let its warmth pass through him before he spoke again. “Do you want to go out for a swim?”

WC - 1,321

Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Askalynn on July 18th, 2022, 1:31 am

Askalynn had a peculiar way of speaking. While it wasn't something that was bad, it was definitely an unusual way of going about things. The way she spoke to the book was the way she normally conducted herself. She had that kind of contagious spirit that, when started, helped get things rolling — snowballing, even. It was that positivity and energy that really made it.

"I did!? Did I do that? Eep! Book! Wait, book, no!" Askalynn cooed playfully as the book disappeared. She pouted, then looked up to Cleon from his now-empty hand. Then back to his hand. And finally, back up to him. Furrowing her eyebrows, she raised her index finger before softly, gently, slowly wagging it at Cleon. "You made the book go... poof!" she said and flailed her hands outwards, motioning every which way as if to explain how the book came about its undoing. The de-manifestation of it was certainly interesting, and while she understood projection to a degree, she couldn't make her limbs suddenly disappear from the realm of reality, so it interested her. A lot.

"How!? How did you do it? Teach me, tell me, tell me!" she said while stepping in place, acting as if that was going to speed things up along the way in some way. Who could fault her, though? The prospect of a magical book was very exciting, doubly so when its owner could make it disappear. It was, at the very least, extremely fascinating to Askalynn. She heard Cleon explain that he hasn't exactly worked out the routine, and that piqued her interest a little. If he hadn't mastered the routine, but he made a book disappear into thin air — a magic book, none the less — what was it that he could do if he mastered it and worked it out to its completion? Many questions raced through her head, and putting them all out at once would mre than likely just overwhelm poor Cleon and make his head spin. She knew that she could be a little bit too much to handle in dialogue at times.

Part of the charm, of course.

"You haven't worked—you, no? No, you haven't! But that was great! I liked that, that was nice! I like nice." she explained as her eyes danced over the journal that Cleon had produced. She watched the tip of the ink quill sink into the pot, then she observed him writing. The way he worked the quill was far more refined than how she used to do it. The way she did it was more crude and a whole lot more jittery. This wasn't to say that she were illiterate, just that she got overly excited about the idea of putting ink on a surface and creating something — the idea of creation with this gel-like substance was one that brought a lot of happiness and joy to her. And rightfully so, as creation was, and shall remain to be — the basis of great things. Then, she saw him strike through his own word with ink, watching him re-do it before blowing over it. Her eyes flitted up and down the page, then settled back upon Cleon — her gaze meeting his.

"Do I write? Write, me? Not really, no! I am not much for writing, scribbling. Scribing, as one may call it. Scribening? Scribbling? I don't know! I don't." she confessed with a shrug of her shoulders while looking Cleon up and down. The way he carried himself was interesting — he didn't feel or have the aura of someone who was a stiff. No, quite the contrary. Cleon looked — to her eyes — like someone who belonged here, in Syka. For one reason or another. However, she struggled to put her finger on it. It was a little bit difficult. It was, in a sense, more than a feeling. But also difficult to articulate at this point in time. And another book gone.

Askalynn's eyes widened. The magic he was doing was more than likely simple to him, though it astonished her on a few different levels. She tried to figure out where those books went. Was it some sort of magical library that only Cleon had access to? What of the other books, were they all magical, too? She couldn't exactly comprehend the happenings and the inner workings of it, and asking right out would probably be seen as a little bit too direct and rude.

Or maybe...

"Wait! Wait, wait, wait." Askalynn shifted in spot, observing Cleon intently. She took a deep, deep breath before posing the question a little bit quicker than she should have. She felt like it was a touch too soon, but fighting back the urge was simply proving to be too difficult of a task at the present.

"Where do your books go!? You make them disappear, you make them vanish, you make them... you make them gone!" she explained, gesturing wildly with her hands and an aura of over-excitement to her. She was like that — excitable and energetic. But this, paired with a new place under the sun, who could blame her, really? Not that Riverfall was bleak and dreary, far from. However, Syka was simply different and felt warmer to her. But, understanding she had cut him off in his own question, she shot answers back hastily. "For fun! I meditate. I meditate and reconnect to myself, my body, my soul — through thinking and sitting! In... in no particular order! I enjoy... walking. Looking. I like to watch the sea! The sea is relaxing, it is. Soothing waves crashing against one another and the shore, pillars... eternally clashing one against the other, rocking back and forth, nurturing life, life and opportunities! For... for everyone. Water — sea. So beautiful, so dangerous. Don't you think?" she counter-batteried the question and was caught on the back foot when asked about a drink, her eyes upon the wine bottle that Cleon had carried with him.

She tilted her head as he failed with his trickery on her, but nodded along as he mentioned Riverfall and Bluevein gold. While she heard of it in the past, yes — she never consumed it. So in one way, it was an enigma and an anomaly to her.

"Yes, yes. I'd like to taste it! And, swim? Swimming... no. Maybe not now? Maybe? I don't know — maybe after a drink, see how it is?" she shrugged, having a hard time making her choice.

1076 Words
Askalynn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cleon on July 20th, 2022, 4:05 pm

Cleon smiled wryly. “Well I can’t claim any sort of credit for that trick. Its thanks to one of these charms on my wrist that I am able to perform such a feat. Here, its this one.” He explain, holding up his wrist so he could point out the small golden satchel hanging off of it. “This was a recent gift, and I’ve been mostly using it to hold books and writing materials since books don’t seem to do very well here. Except magical ones I guess.” Cleon reasoned, tapping the little charm to set it spinning for a full cycle before he lowered his wrist. He was still looking down at the charm bracelet when he remembered how he’d acquired this bracelet, and he had a soft little chuckle.

“The bracelet itself has magical properties. It can’t be removed, but surprisingly it hasn’t bothered me much. I can almost forget I am wearing it sometimes.” He said, hesitating a moment as he touched the skull charm with a spiral crown. “As strange as it might sound, a crow brought me this bracelet last season. I think Eywaat put this gift in my path for a reason, but I can’t be completely certain of that. I talk to the gods and goddesses often, but they do not talk back. Not with words anyways, though they have put quite a few things in my path.”

Cleon looked up at Askalynn and chewed his lower lip. “Do you worship any deities?” He asked as he took another sip from the wine bottle and reached over to pass it along to her. The flavor was nice, and pleasantly cool on that hot summer afternoon. He wondered if that was an incidental side effect of pouring it straight from the charm before consumption. That wasn’t something he had exactly experimented with, though now that he considered it, cold wine would be quite refreshing on a day like today. Perhaps he would give it a try later on down the road with the opportunity was afforded to him.

His eyes on Askalynn, he watched her as she took a drink from the bottle before his eyes flicked back over to the sea. The water looked almost peaceful with waves coming in sporadically to lap against the beach. It had been a hot day, and a part of him yearned to wade out into that cool water. To stretch his legs, and perhaps explore what lies underneath the waterline. He had a way to do that now. Comfortably, so long as he kept one of those pieces of candied fruit handy. Perhaps not today though if Askalynn was going to go swimming with him. He didn’t want to overload her with even more information while they still had so much to discuss.

He touched another charm on his wrist, this one a leaf that looked a lot like the ones he knew back home back when the seasons were in order. The leaves would change all sorts of colorful shades like this one on his wrist. He still didn’t have a clue what this particular charm did, though he suspected he would find out eventually. Of course, he could probably find out now if he mediated on it, like he had with the snake fang, but he didn’t feel like that just now. No, he’d rather soak in the day, and enjoy the water while it was still light out. His days were quite busy so it was nice to enjoy his free time like this while it lasted.

Cleon took another drink from the wine bottle when Askalynn handed it back to him, and let the warmth suffuse him for a moment before taking another slight sip. Then handing it back or setting it aside, he stood up and stretched for as far as his arms and legs would allow. Then he grabbed a couple of candied pieces of fruit out of his bag, popping one into his mouth and tossing Askalynn another before he started to make for the water. “I’m going for a quick swim. You are welcome to join me or linger here. I’ll only be a few chimes if you decide to wait on the beach.” He said quickly, stripping before he reached the water and ran until he could dive under the water.

Swimming had never come naturally to him. Quite the opposite in fact, Cleon’s first experience ended up with him fighting all he could to not sink like a rock though over the course of last season he’d managed to somewhat stay afloat on his own volition. With the candied piece of fruit safely under his tongue, he didn’t really have to worry about diving under the water for it allowed him to briefly breathe beneath the waves as he swam deeper into the sea, pulling himself forward with hurried, jerky strokes that lacked any sort of rhythm. He was forgetting his lessons but he didn’t much care at that moment, just simply reveling in the fact that he was surrounded by water and breathing as easily as if he was still above it. Turning about, he oriented himself with the surface before he turned around to dive a little deeper, swimming down, down until he could grasp on the sandy shelf below him.

With his arms anchored he was left with a little more control over where he went, kicking his legs to propel him as he crawled along the sandy floor. While it wasn’t as vibrant with life as the jungle, it was rich in its own ways with vegetation and fish swimming about, darting from one shady nook to another. Cleon smiled, following a stripped orange fish with his eyes for a chime till he saw something glittering on the sandy bottom. Arching an eyebrow, Cleon sorta crawled/swam towards the object and when he reached it, he felt something solid just underneath a thin layer of sand. He felt around carefully, keeping himself mostly in place by kicking his legs out behind him as he explored the long, flat object buried in the sand. The glittering part turning out to be a rusted handle of sorts attached to a desiccated wooden chest. Cleon carefully cleaned off the sand with his fingers, extracting all that he could before giving the handle a firm tug, then another with his legs braced against the ground until finally his efforts succeeded in pulling the chest free from the bottom of the sea floor.

He didn’t stop to look at the state of the chest though as his mind was now on how much time he had left with this candied fruit that was quickly dissolving under his tongue. A little panicked, but in that fresh pulsing excitement sort of way, Cleon climbed the sea floor which was fortunately only a couple chimes walk away till he eventually surfaced, hauling the dessicated chest behind him and digging a great furrow in the packed sand. He’d smiled over at Askalynn whether she chose to remain or swim, and pulling it along until he reached the dry sand at which point he let go of the handle and took in a deep breath after swallowing the remnant of fruit that remained in his mouth.

“I don’t know what this is, but it looked interesting.” He said after he’d managed to catch his breath somewhat, and then crouched down to inspect the chest. Half of its top was missing giving a good look of its sand filled interior which he proceeded to paw through, curious if he could find anything. Digging into the wet sand, he felt what at first he thought was another handle only thiner and there seemed to be two of them oddly enough. Wrapping his fingers around the object he pulled and surprisingly didn’t feel any resistance as his hands came free holding two iron torques that surprisingly didn’t show a lick of rust, although they were covered in algae. He set them aside to inspect them while allowing Askalynn to explore the contents if she wished.

WC - 1,348

Cleon
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)