Solo Once upon a mountaintop

Adal attends the funeral of her mother, and learns what its like to live on her own.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Once upon a mountaintop

Postby Adal Karelyn on March 24th, 2022, 7:27 pm

10th of Spring, 522 A.V

It was a cold dark spring morning when Adal Karelyn touched her mother’s face for what would be the last time. Soon her body would be cremated, her ashes spread to the wind so Adal took her time memorizing the lines of her mother’s face. The well worn grooves guided her fingertips along like spiderwebs over a small, withered face. The texture kind of reminded her of clay. Like if she exerted a little pressure, she could shape these features as easily as she could with one of her sculptures. However, underneath that thin veneer of clay she felt the hard ridges of bone as there wasn’t much flesh left on her mother’s face. The little that there was clung to the bone underneath giving her face a distinctly sunken in feel to it as her fingers traced the sharp contours her cheek bones created.

Her fingers came to a stop just below her mother’s small, full lips. Adal felt as a tear blossomed in the corner of her eye then felt it fall before she heard it tap against her mother’s face. She smiled as her lips trembled.

“I love you mom. I- I’m going to miss you” She said softly, knowing that she would remember this moment for a long time to come. Drooly nudged her leg with his massive head. Adal reached out for him, scratching him behind the ears as she crouched beside her beloved dog. She kissed him on the forehead before resting the side of her face across the top of his head. “Oh Drooly, I’m going to be fine. We both knew this was coming and its alright to be sad sometimes.” She said. Her voice sounded like it was breaking. Inside though she felt as still as a glass of water.

With her hand she brushed past Drooly’s stiff outer coat to rub at the soft coat underneath. His smell was earthy and wholesome, body warm. Her closest friend in the world now that mother was gone. What was she going to do now?

Adal realized she’d never given it much thought, or rather she’d never given such thoughts any credibility. Her mother had been.. Overprotective for obvious reasons. Now though, what was she to do?

Taking in a deep steadying breath, she considered taking things piecemeal starting with what was going to happen before broaching the subject of what ifs. It would be simpler that way, and less overwhelming. Adal knew that outside of this room there were people waiting to carry on with her mother. It was time to say goodbye.

Standing up again, she felt her way to the table her mother lay upon. Her fingers touched the thick wool sleeve of her mother’s coat and walked there way down to her hand. Adal slipped her hand through her mother’s, giving it a gentle squeeze while she tried to remember when that pallid flesh was warm.

“Goodbye mother. We’re going to have a party for you now. I’ll make sure your going away party is a good one.” Adal said, letting go of her mothers hand as she took a step back. She could feel Drooly on her right, just barely brushing up against her thigh. Ready to guide her out if she needed it.

“Let’s go Drooly.”

The funeral was a cacophony of sound. People cheering, celebrating the fullness of her mother’s life instead of reflecting upon the end point of her cycle. People’s who’s voices Adal scarcely recognized, but who’s cheer was almost infectious as one after another came up to her with anecdotes about her mother. Particularly popular were ones about her wild youth, which Adal scarcely believed at first until she heard similar stories told from multiple sources. The most important thing she took from all of this was that her mother had a lot more friends than she had ever realized.

Adal was currently entertaining someone with a deep, rumbling voice that smelled like fresh cut grass cut with a whiff of ale. She did her best to smile pleasantly while the man regaled her with a tale of how her mother would sneak out most nights to get into all sorts of mischief around the peaks. Adal smiled when it was expected of her, and took a bite out of a pear during pauses in the man’s speech to hopefully get out of saying anything. It worked. For the moment anyways. The man needed little encouragement to continue regaling her with stories while she tried to seem thoughtful eating that piece of fruit.

Pears were her favorite. They had a mild, sweet, grainy flavor with soft skin that allowed her to take small, delicate bites.

Eventually the man wandered on to find a more conversational partner, and Adal started on her own wandering through what had been her family home. Here had once been a place she had known more intimately than any other in Lhavit, even Tain’s studio. Since her mother never moved anything from its assigned spot, she used to be able to walk this home unassisted.

Now though.. It was different. Furniture had been rearranged or taken out to accommodate the guests. Pieces to be sold off over the next few days as her mother’s estate was dissolved and turned into Kina. It felt wrong to leave it all behind. To part with all of this familiarity, but this was part of the process for her to move on with her life. She had no desire to remain here. Never had felt it to be her home. No, she needed to part with all of this to get on with her life. She would miss it. Of course she would, but it would be easier living on her own if she wasn’t surrounded by all of these memories dragging her back into the past. Adal needed a fresh start.

“Could you tell me a story of your mother?” A soft, feminine voice asked as Adal turned towards the scrape of boots. She smiled nervously. She recognized that voice.

“Nilen? What are you doing here?” She asked as she tugged at the scarf around her neck, and suddenly felt very flush. It had been a while since she had last spoken to the woman, but she’d always been very fond of Nilen whom had always been kind to her.

“What? You think I wouldn’t be here for your mother’s passing? Etna was a friend so of course I’d like to see her off.” Nilen replied. Adal heard her take a step closer, then felt the woman’s warm hands grab hers and then bring them together with her hands cupped between them.

“That’s not.. I just meant.. You’re a busy woman right?” Adal stammered.

“Not too busy to visit an old friend.” Nilen said. “Anyways, I was hoping I could get a story about your mother out of you. I’ve seen a lot of people telling you their own stories, but no one asking for yours so come with me dear, and tell me something special about your mother.” Nilen said, pulling her hands. Adal followed the woman, heard a window open, then felt a cool breeze and the warm sun against the right side of her face. Adal smiled.

“Well I don’t know if you knew, but she liked to sing when she didn’t think anyone was listening. One day I came home early from Tain’s studio, and I caught her humming a bawdy tune. Oh if only you could have heard how she fussed and stammered.” Adal giggled.

“An probably through in a few swats for good measure.” Nilen joked, gently touching Adal’s forearm.

“Oh there were some of those as well, but I was too busy laughing to notice.” Adal said with a smirk. Nilen squeezed, and Adal put her hand over Nilen’s. Feeling the smooth backside of the woman’s hand, Adal felt better than she had in days.

“What are you doing after this?” Adal asked, a thought on the tip of her tongue.

“I’m afraid its back to work for me. Why do you ask?” Nile asked as she guided Adal’s other hand up to her face. There Adal could feel the edges of the woman’s smile as her lips upturned into a grin beneath her finger tips.

“You remembered.” Adal said, half lost in wonder at the revelation. While her times with Nilen had been special for her, especially as a young girl with few friends, she hadn’t thought she’d be special enough to remember in this way.

“Of course I did.” Nilen said softly.

“I- I was just wondering if I could sculpt your face sometime.” Adal asked nervously. Nilen’s smile only widened under Adal’s hand, and gently she moved her hand gently across the curve of the woman’s cheek.

“Of course. Are you free later tonight? Lets say after dusk rest?” Nilen asked, and Adal eagerly nodded.

“Yes, I- where would you like me to meet you?” Adal asked almost breathlessly.

“How about here?” Nilen asked.

“That would be great.” Adal said, and found that she couldn’t stop grinning even if she wanted to.

“Okay then its settled.” Nilen said, and there was a chime that Adal felt Nilen turn her head towards.

“It looks like it is time to spread your mother’s ashes.” Nilen said.

“Will you come with me?” Adal asked, hopeful as she wavered there uncertainly for a long moment unwilling to part with Nilen’s company just yet if she could help it.

“Of course I will.” Nilen said, and together the two walked out of the house.

WC - 1,597
Adal Karelyn
Player

Words: 53090
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2022, 7:16 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Once upon a mountaintop

Postby Adal Karelyn on March 25th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Adal decided not to be there for the burning of her mother’s body. She wouldn’t have gotten much out of it anyways, and there were some smells she’d rather not know. Instead she waited outside with Nilen while the ashes were gathered up. Then she would be a part of the procession going up the mountain trail to release her mother’s ashes at one of her favorite spots. She’d heard the view their was quite spectacular. Adal knew it for the smell of a certain kind of flower her mother planted all around that spot. Her mother called them Keokina. They had an unmistakable sweet odor that was almost too intense on occasions when her mother had brought some indoors. She could almost smell them now, as if the memory of her mother was calling to her, although more likely it was carried by a stray breeze.

It was getting cold so Adal buttoned up her long wool jacket and shielded herself from the brunt of the wind with its half cape. She’d gone with a sleeveless dress, fur trimmed leather boots, and of course, her jacket with the half-cape sewn across the top. Adal had also brought along her scarf, which she wrapped carefully about her neck, piling so that it covered a bit of her ears, that which wasn’t shielded by her long hair.

More people were coming out now. She listened to them all walk outside, and murmur quietly to one another as the procession came together. Adal took in a deep breath, then slowly let it out. It was almost over.

Soon enough the gathering started to move up the mountain, with Adal following along with the help of Nilen and Drooly. The lack of sleep was catching up to her now. She’d missed morning rest getting everything situated for her mother and she felt a little sluggish going up the mountain. Luckily she had those two to help her so she managed to stay with the group as they made their steep climb.

Then suddenly it was time. She heard the whispers intensify as people abruptly shuffled around and something cold was pressed into her hands. It was smooth, and cold, and weighed less than ten pounds. It was her mother Adal realized, stroking the rough oval shape in her hands with the ball of her thumb. Adal gulped.

“Its alright. I’m still here. Let me walk you over.” Nilen said from her left, gently grasping her by the elbow before they started walking forward together. More shuffling, restrained coughing, quite words lost under the ambient noise. Adal suddenly felt quite cautious as Drooly whined. They must be getting near the edge. Still, she forced on foot in front of the other, trusting that Nilen would look out for her. When Nilen stopped so did she, and hesitantly Adal found the top of the jar with her free hand. It was difficult at first, the oval top feeling almost seamless in its fit, until she found the lip about a quarter of the way down. Then spreading the palm of her hand over it, she gripped it solidly.

“Do you want to say anything?” Adal asked, not wanting to open the jar just yet.

“Sure. Your mother was a kind woman in difficult circumstances who did the best she could for those she loved. I wish her all the best on her journey, and I hope we will meet again in the future. I miss her.” Nilen said quietly. Adal nodded solemnly.

“I miss her too. I hope she finds happiness in the next life.” Adal said, pulling off the top. Then slowly, she upended the jar, and briefly felt grit swirl around her before the last of her mother was caught with the wind. She shook out the jar for good measure before carefully replacing the cap. Her mother was free now to move on to her next life, just like she was free now to pursue her own dreams.

Suddenly her eyes felt wet and Adal realized she was crying. Nilen quietly guided her head forward till her face rested in the crook of the woman’s neck. Adal encircled Nilen with her arms, holding her tightly against the wind. There was no one else in that moment. Just the two of them standing there against a fierce cold wind off of the mountain. She hoped the Keokina would bloom soon. Her mother would like that even if she wasn’t around to see it.

WC - 751
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Once upon a mountaintop

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 2:17 pm

Much later when Nilen returned they enjoyed a warm cup of tea before Adal got the space ready to do her sculpting. Because of her condition, her mother had been meticulous about making sure everything had its proper place so that Adal could enjoy a bit of independence within the house. Because of this, she had no trouble finding her sculpting supplies, bringing them over to lay across the dining room table as Nilen took a seat across from her. Laying the items out one by one in a row, Adal felt each carefully before moving onto the next and finally taking her own seat with a slightly giddy smile. She was a bit nervous about sculpting Nilen’s face. Drooly sensing this padded over to lay his huge head in her lap.

“Thank you for humoring me Nilen, I know you must be pretty busy.” Adal said softly as she scratched her dog just behind the ears, alternating occasionally as her other hand felt for the piece of clay she had laid out.

“Oh Adal, its not like that and you know it. I’ve been meaning to come by to check on you and well as unfortunate as it was, it brought us together again.” Nilen said, her voice warm and comforting. She felt the woman’s hand grasp her shoulder and give it a gentle squeeze before hearing the chair creak as the woman reclined back in it. “Now how does this work exactly?”

“Well um, I need to touch your face and stuff, then I leave general impressions upon this piece of clay before adding the details.” Adal said as she stopped scratching Drooly’s head to cautiously reach out towards the woman. Nilen didn’t laugh at her like she would have expected. Instead the woman quietly guided Adal’s hand forward until her fingers brushed the side of the woman’s face.

Nilen’s skin was soft and warm where her jaw curved delicately downward into a small pointed chin. Tracing her fingers up the other side, she stopped where she felt the slight firmness of the cheekbone, using her right hand to mold the clay into the general shape of the jaw she had just felt. Adal decided to keep her proportions small as it would allow her to keep doing this with one hand which meant less time would be spent feeling Nilen’s face. It wasn’t how she normally did things, but this woman she had always looked up to had her heart jackhammering in her chest as her finger tips skirted along the firm outline of the cheekbone.

Meanwhile her right hand worked the clay, pinching what was to be the base of the head into a slender V before following up on the delicate arches of Nilen’s cheekbones as Adal felt them. She did that by using the edge of her index finger on the clay, using the slight curve of the flesh there to soften the outline she was making in the clay. Then Adal’s fingers reached the edge of Nilen’s nose.

Adal felt herself blush slightly, but Nilen remained as still as when they had started so she continued up the side of her nose before coming to the top of the bridge. With her thumb and forefinger to either side of it, she traced her way back down the nose before splaying her fingers, gently pressing against the flesh as she got more of a sense of the contours that she then replicated on her stick of clay.

To do this she gouged into the clay a tiny upside down v shape with her thumb nail before using her thumb to pull the middle into a rough triangle. Then she flattened it gradually until it matched what she was feeling on Nilen’s face. However it wasn’t yet done because to get the nostrils just right she had to incorporate those small pieces she had gouged out with her thumb nail. These little curved pieces of clay she went back to use to frame where the nostrils flared out then blended them in with the rest of the nose she had shaped until the skin of the clay was smooth, and the shapes as delicate as she could get them with one hand.

WC - 707
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Once upon a mountaintop

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 2:18 pm

Focusing back on Nilen’s face she started touching around the woman’s eyes, feeling up along her arched brow, the hair there almost silky as she traced the ridge before hesitating for a moment. Before she could think of exactly what she was going to say, Nilen spoke up.

“Its okay, go ahead. I’ll close my eyes.” Nilen said in a calm, reassuring tone. Smiling, Adal continued to trace her fingertips gently across the top of the woman’s eyes, feeling the delicate membrane of the lid as the edge of her fingertip felt Nilen’s long eyelashes. Eyelashes were still something that were well beyond her talent at sculpting but she still took great joy in feeling them as she did all parts of a person’s face. It had a way of making her feel more apart of the world which could get pretty lonely often.

To shape the slight depression of Nilen’s eyes into the clay, Adal pressed the flat part of her thumbnail gently into the clay where the bottom of the eye should be, and then used the edge of her thumb to shape a slight curve until the eye reached the curve of the brow. That she did by pinching the clay with her fingertips before smoothing it out till it was in line proportionately with what she had felt on Nilen’s face. What she ended up with were slight mounds of a gently sloping brow ridge that framed the delicate ovals that would be the woman’s eyes.

With that reference formed, Adal used almost her whole hand to feel the woman’s forehead, stroking it gently as she worked her way around its curve, and lingering where the hair pulled slighly at Nilen’s skin to form the braids she usually wore. When Adal had been younger, she had taken much delight in those braids as Nilen’s hair was quite unlike her own. It was thicker, and coarser which texture wise was an enjoyable change from what she had always known. She wasn’t quite there yet with the sculpting process though. Before she could get the the shape of Nilen’s head, she wanted a idea of her face all together, and still needed to touch her lips.

The thought made her smile nervously as her face flushed. Gradually she brought her finger tips around the curve of Nilen’s face before gently brushing across the underside of the woman’s lower lip. She had thick, full heart shaped lips that felt as soft as the rest of her skin. Again, Adal worked on shaping this part by pulling the clay up into a flat ridge before using the tip of her forefinger to smooth out two slight curves that she accentuated by carving a line between them using the edge of her thumb. Then to get the lips just right, she pulled down on the bottom lip, flattening it out somewhat before neatly parting her fingertips against the clay so that the lower lip protruded somewhat while the upper lip stayed stayed slighter and unrefined.

WC - 504
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Once upon a mountaintop

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 2:19 pm

Setting down her block of clay, Adal shifted in her chair before gradually extending out her other hand while biting her lower lip. “I need to get the shape of your head now, and then I’ll have everything I need to start sculpting.” Adal said gingerly.

“That’s alright, do what you need.” Nilen said encouragingly, helping her other hand along till it found the side of her face. With both hands it was easier to put the shape of her head together as carefully she pressed her fingers through Nilen’s dreads so she could follow along the scalp to where it met the top of her neck. Then working her way upward, she continued to feel it out from the top of the head, to where her hair parted for her face, then back down the sides so she could gently feel along the woman’s neck and underside of her chin.

When she felt comfortable that she had an accurate impression of Nilen’s shape, she pulled her hands away, and picked up her clay block with both hands, working out the rough shape in proportion the the woman’s face. This part was the easy part as generally speaking people tended to have roughly similar heads. Nilen’s neck was more muscular than those she was used to working with, but still had an elegance to it with how it matched up to the rest of her head.

“That looks really good.” Nilen said after sometime had passed between them in silence. Broken from her reverie, Adal shifted as she turned her face towards the woman, smiling a little.

“Thank you. It’s not finished yet, I still have to render it in the soapstone. I.. People say it looks pretty sculpted from that.” Adal blushed, not comfortable acknowledging that something she could do could look pretty.

Nilen gave her arm a gentle touch. “Well I look forward to seeing the final product. I am sure it is going to be fantastic.” Nilen said as Adal heard a chair creak, and Nilen walk over to stand beside her chair. Reflexively Adal stood up as well, and turned to face the woman.

“Are you going then?” Adal asked, a little regret in her tone.

Nilen took her hands and folded them between hers. “Yes, I’m afraid I am needed, but I had a lovely time with you today, and I promise to visit you soon. Before I leave though, I almost forgot that I had brought a gift.” Nilen said, and before Adal could as what it was, she felt as the woman slipped a delicate bracelet over her left wrist before clasping it. She then gave Adal’s arm a little squeeze.

“This is a special bracelet Adal. A magical bracelet that I think will help you know that you are on your own. It comes with two charms. A dog charm that will make all canines more amiable towards you, and a pair of silver lips that will allow you to fully understand another language. All you need to do is speak its name, and it will be done, however I must warn you that this can only be done once so make your choice carefully.” Nilen said as her hands drifted off of Adal’s arms. Adal listened as she took a step backwards, still slightly shocked at the whole thing as her fingertips gingerly traced the intricate edge of the bracelet that felt almost fragile between her fingers.

“I.. I.. How I can’t thank you enough Nilen.” Adal gushed, and took a step forwards to throw her arm around the woman. Nilen laughed, warm and bubbly as she returned the hug.

“Take good care of yourself Adal. I’ll be seeing you again soon.”

“I will, thank you, thank you! I will have your sculpture ready as soon as possible!”

“I look forward to it. Bye Adal.” Nilen said as they parted their embrace and Adal walked her to the door, lingering there for several long moments after the woman had left while her fingertips explored the delicate bracelet on her wrist. Drooly barked as if he had sensed the same subtle change she had. That their lives had suddenly changed in a miraculous way. She went to bed that night thinking about all the ways she could return the favor to Nilen for this great gift, and drifted off with all of the possibilities.

WC - 732
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Once upon a mountaintop

Postby Cleon on July 13th, 2022, 7:45 pm

Grade Award!

Adal Karelyn:

Skills: Observation: 5
Sculpting: 2
Socialization: 5

Lore:

The feel of dead flesh
The shape and structure of Irene’s face
Compartmentalizing trauma
Lhatvian Funeral Custom: A celebration for the life they lead
Irene was beloved by her friends
Irene had a wild streak
Pears: Soft, sweet, and with a grainy texture
Nilen: A friend of her mothers
Nilen: A childhood role model
Keokina: Flower with an intensely sweet aroma
Keokina: Irene’s favorite flower
Drooly whines to warn about ledges
Nilen: Was there for the spreading Irene’s ashes
The shape and structure of Nilen’s face
Observing with her left hand
Molding clay with just fingers
Making a general impression in clay
Pinching clay to make a V shape
Using a thumb nail to mold a clay nose
Subtracting clay using a thumb nail
Using pieces of clay to make nostrils
Using the base of a thumb to flare the nostrils
Blending the clay skin around the nose until smooth
What Nilen’s eyelashes feel like
What Nilen’s skin feels like
Using a thumbnail to make subtle divots for the eyes
Adding a curve to the clay eyes with the edge of a nail
Using fingertip placement to determine proportions
Pulling out the clay to form lips
Using a thumb nail to create detail
What Nilen’s hair feels like
A gift from Nilen: Charm bracelet
Dog Charm: Helps with befriending canines
Silver lips charm: Helps fully understand a language

Acquired items:

- A clay bust of Nilen
- A charm bracelet with two charms: A dog charm, and a silver lips charm.

Feel free to pm me with questions or concerns about your grade, and don’t forget to edit your grade request! :)
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)