Completed Lessons in liberty

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Lessons in liberty

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:48 pm

62nd of Spring, 522 A.V.

Adal didn’t always just sculpt faces. Sometimes she liked to venture out of her comfort zone, sculpting whatever came to mind. Today that was a small stone house, and she started with a block of soapstone, a chisel, and a hammer. Sitting on a stool with the block of soapstone on the table before her, Adal started at the top. Chiseling away at an angle away from herself, she knocked bits off the edge of the block until she achieved a slope she was satisfied with. She then did the same to the other side before switching to the point chisel and a heavier hammer.

When she found the edge of the slope she wanted to work against, she made sure the head of the chisel was angled so the force of the blow would go up and out, maintaining the incline she wanted. Then gripping it firmly, she went through the motion of striking the back of the chisel slowly with the hammer before winding up to do a heavy strike. There was a satisfying clink as the head of the hammer made contact and Adal felt her other hand jolt, although she didn’t think she’d managed to chip away any of the soapstone. In fact, she was pretty sure she hadn’t because it didn’t feel right, although she checked the indentation with her fingertip just to make sure.

Then slowly this time, she took another few practice swings at the back of the chisel before really winding up the hammer to hit it. There was a clean clang of metal on metal that mixed with the sound of cracking stone as the pressure she had exerted chunked off a large slice of it following the earlier groove she had made. A bit more satisfied, Adal continued along that side of the soapstone, carefully hammering off large pieces until she had half of her pitched roof done.

She had considered making it like the one for the small house in the park, but it had been a while since she had last felt the shape of it so she was worried she’d only end up making a flat circle which wasn’t what she wanted at all. There was a chance that her mother had several shapes Adal had played with as a child, but it was a little too late for that now. Shortly after her mother’s death, Adal had sold the home to another family before giving away much of her belongings andkeeping only her mother’s ring which she now wore over her left thumb. A warm reminder of the woman who had raised her to overcome her disability to an extent. That extent of course being sculpting.

It had been uncommonly hard at first, with more than a few hammer blows hitting her hand instead of the chisel, but Adal found that as long as everything remained in its proper position, she could navigate almost as well as any sighted person. An for those times she couldn’t, there was Drooly to help keep her from walking into any trouble. Well, had Drooly.

A strange air had come over Lhavit. People were more tense than usual because the animals around Lhavit had become more aggressive of late. All animals in fact, including Drooly who was not to be let outside for any reason by order of the Shinya. While Drooly was fine in her presence, he was apparently a danger to others, and Adal really couldn’t argue that point with the Shinya when Drooly had snapped at the man. Adal liked to think that Drooly was fine with her because of their long history together. She had known him since he was a pup and she a slip of a girl, but part of her knew that her charm bracelet had something to do with it. Had Nilen known about the strange aggressiveness of animals before she had given her this charm? It was a question she did not have the chance to ask yet because although Nilen had promised to visit her again soon, she hadn’t seen the woman since her mother’s funeral several tendays ago.

Of course Adal didn’t hold that against her. With the city so out of sorts over this, she expected that her friend was very busy trying to figure this out, and suspected she would see the woman again when some sort of solution had been reached. Still she wished that Nilen would visit soon so that she might clarify a few things about what was going on with the city. She desperately needed her guide dog Drooly back at her side. Not just for security and companionship either.

Without him, she didn’t dare to stray farther from her apartment than Talin’s studio, so she spent most of her time there rather than be a shut in all day. Still she didn’t know a great many people and most were only just passing acquaintances so she spent most of her time in the studio left to her own devices except for the occasions when Talin could spare a moment too chat with her which she always enjoyed.

Like Nilen though, Talin was also just as busy so Adal was left alone more often than not. Except when she got an interested customer.

WC - 880
Last edited by Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adal Karelyn
Player

Words: 53090
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2022, 7:16 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lessons in liberty

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:49 pm

“Adal? You’re really still trying this pottery thing huh?” A familiar shrill voice called across the studio, accompanied by a few giggles. Adal who had been in the middle of making a slope on the other side of her soon to be sculpted house missed the chisel all together but thankfully hit nothing but air with the hammer as she twisted towards the sound of the voice.

There was a scattered mix of shushing from around the studio, but if it perturbed the women she certainly couldn’t tell as she listened to them stomp over. As they drew nearer Adal realized she was still tightly gripping her hammer and chisel which took a concerted effort for her to let go of the implements. She recognized that voice enough to be familiar with the cohort that surely followed her. The woman could only be Sandra Rayne, a persistent thorn in her side since childhood. Adal considered just going back to her sculpture and ignoring the woman all together, however she knew from prior experience that this would only encourage her. Best to get this over with quickly.

“Adal doll. Did you hear me? Oh you poor thing, all that chipping away has probably got you as deaf as you are blind!” Sandra said, accompanied by more giggles, Adal was steeling herself to say something when she felt someone touch her wrist, and she yanked it away, standing up as she did so although she managed to bump into her table in the process. There was a wobbling noise of stone on wood, then a slam as the soapstone sculpture fell flat onto the table.

“Oh Adal dear, I didn’t mean to startle you. I forget you are such a klutz sometimes with your condition. I was just trying to check out that shiny new piece on your wrist.” Sandra said, and afraid she was going to reach for her again, Adal took several steps away, skirting the edge of the table.

‘Why are you here Sandra?” Adal asked venomously.

There was a tis-king noise, an elaborate sigh and a sharp intake of breath from a couple of individuals. “I’m not going to take the ugly thing, I just wanted to see what you have dangling off of it. A piece like that isn’t my style at all, and I just know it must have come from your mothers collection. Shame about that really. I’m surprised you even managed to get out without that mutt of yours. Did he run off like some of the other pets, or did you have to put him down for being too aggressive.”

Adal felt her face flush as it reddened, and she balled her hands up at her sides.

“Come on now Sandra, I don’t get what you get out of punching down like this. Lets go.”

“But I want to see if Adal will teach us. She could use the money you know, all alone with no one to burden.”

“Come on.. That cute painter isn’t going to wait forever.”

“Fine. Be seeing you soon Adal. I look forward to seeing your sculpture.” Sandra said before walking off with the group, leaving Adal to stand their fuming with her hands still balled tightly. She couldn’t believe those women were here much less staying, and brusquely she turned about to gather her things. She must have been making a lot of noise because she heard someone swiftly approaching her. She thought it was Sandra for all of the moment it took the familiar smell to hit her. It was a tangy oil scent that was particular to Talin, and Adal visibly relaxed at his approach though she was still feeling pretty worked up about the whole encounter.

Gently, Talin took her by the elbow before whispering to her. “Don’t pay those ladies any mind. After they’ve done their business, I’ll kick them out of the studio and you won’t ever see them again if you don’t want to. They already paid for Gurat’s class and him being new, I wouldn’t want to deprive him of the business, but after today I promise you won’t have to deal with that again.” Tain said quietly, continuing to say. “How about you go for a little walk, or better yet try out one of those classes at the Dusk tower. I heard they are holding three of them today, and its rare for them to hold anything of the sort at all so I’d advise you take advantage of it while you can. I’ll even get someone to guide you there if you want.”

Adal’s jaw worked slowly as she pushed down her anger before speaking. “Okay, I can do that. Will you let me know when they are gone?” Adal whispered back, trying to keep the edge out of her voice.

Talin gave her elbow a little squeeze. “Of course, now just wait out the shop and I’ll get someone to run you up to the dusk tower with haste.” Talin said before patting her on the back. Quickly gathering up the rest of her belongings back into her back, Adal walked out of the store with haste ignoring anything else that the girls might have had to say before she departed from the studio.

WC - 878
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lessons in liberty

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:50 pm

The Dusk tower turned out to be much farther than Talin made it sound. Either that, or the young woman he had sent along to guide Adal had gotten lost along the way. It was drawn out because for a good half of the trip, Adal was too frustrated to return small talk, then when she wanted to, her guided seemed to no longer have a taste for it. So it was altogether a quiet journey, one that grew more fragrant when they finally arrived upon the tower.

Adal’s mood brightened considerably at the myriad of scents that came off the path and quickly realized that they must have a good many flowers planted about as she smelled quite a variety, many of which she did not recognize. Her guide didn’t really have anything to comment about this, only to let her know when she had reached the entrance to the Dusk tower, and walking away before Adal could say anything.

At a loss, and unsure of how to make her way back, she slowly started to climb the stairs up to the dusk tower’s entrance. It was slow going at first, with her taking tentative steps up as she felt out the height of each of the steps and she felt very self conscience about the people who walked around her every so often. Finally when she had almost lost track of how many steps she had climbed, someone walked down the stairs towards her and felt a delicate hand firmly grab hers.

“Here, I’ll help.” Came a woman’s voice, guiding her slowly up the steps while preventing her from being crowded by anyone else coming up or down the stairs. When they reached the top, Adal turned to the woman, smiling effusively.

“Thank you. I’m.. I..”

“I know. I could see it in your aura before you ever even came up the steps.” The woman said, and Adal couldn’t detect any judgment in her tone which came as a relief. “My name is Chiona Dusk. I assume you came here for the classes?”

“Yes. Someone brought me up here, but I’m afraid they didn’t have time to bring me all the way.” Adal said softly, blushing a little when she realized who she was talking with. “My name is Adal Karelyn.”

“Pleased to meet you Adal. If wait right here for a moment, I’ll walk you to the class room. Your in luck as I was just getting some fresh air while everyone filed in.” Chiona said, patting the top of Adal’s hand for a moment before letting go.

“Oh I don’t mean to be much of a bother. I can find someone else to guide me, or work my way there with a bit of instruction.” Adal said before Chiona laid a hand on her shoulder.

“No need for that. Come, I’m about ready to start the class anyways. Are you staying for the full three sessions?” Chiona asked as she guided them along inside of the tower. Adal felt a significant change upon crossing the threshold where the scents were a lot less floral, and the air was stuffy. There was the occasional breeze here and there which made Adal think that there must have been an a few opened windows somewhere but it was a good deal warmer than she was ready for. Adal had foolishly dressed for the season she had grown up to, with a thick wool coat over her white dress, although the day had been rather mild. She started fussing with the straps of her coat as they went along, and if Chiona noticed, she didn’t comment on it.

“Yes, I’d like to learn as much as I can today.” Adal said hopefully, although she wasn’t exactly sure what that entailed. Talin had been vague, not really having time to explain, and what she knew of the Dusk tower was only that people went their occasionally to study magic if they were very lucky. Still she didn’t want to appear foolish in front of her instructor so she kept her sentences tight and questions to a minimum.

“Just so you know its five kina per lesson for a total of fifteen for all three. Is that okay with you?” Chiona asked.

Adal hurriedly nodded, fishing for her coin purse before Chiona stopped her with a chuckle.

“You’ll settle up at the front desk soon enough.” Chiona said, and then stopped before pulling her aside till Adal felt the edge of a wall. “Before we continue though, I want to know why you came today, and what you plan on doing with the knowledge you’ve come seeking.” The woman asked quietly, an edge of seriousness to her tone.

Adal’s eyes widened before she had the presence of mind to clear her throat. “Oh yes of course. I.. Well I’ve always been curious about the world, and well magic, I didn’t much think about magic until I got this charm bracelet from a friend of mine. As for what I would like to do with that knowledge, I suppose it depends on what I learn. If it is something I can use to help others, or make their lives easier, or explore the world with then I will do that. If it is like my charms, then I’ll do my best to use it responsibly.”

Chiona went quiet for a moment as Adal felt the woman turn her hand over to display the charms for several long moments before the woman spoke again. “Interesting, very interesting. What do the charms do?” She asked.

“Um.. Well one makes dogs more friendly to me and has really helped me out with my guide dog during all of this craziness with the animals. The other will let me speak any language fluently” Adal admitted hastily, accidentally leaving out the bit where she could only choose one.

“Even Nader Canoch?” Chiona asked surprised.

“Nader Canoch?” Adal asked confused, and then felt a brief tingle wash over her as the silver lips activated. Nilen’s words echoed back at her then, and Adal realized she had made her choice.

“It is an old tongue used by many mages in order to keep their secrets.” Chiona said in tongue that was decidedly not common.

“Okay, this is weird. Is this Nader Canoch?” Adal asked slowly, the unfamiliar words coming to her as easily as if she was trying to speak common just then.

Chiona took in a sharp intake of breath. “Very interesting indeed. May I ask who gave you this gift?” Chiona asked, and it was Adal’s turn to take a moment to think it over before responding. When she eventually couldn’t work out the harm in telling this woman, she admitted who it was readily.

“It was Nilen. She’s always looked out for me ever since I was a child, and after my mother died recently she gave me this gift, hoping that it would make the transition easier, an it has.” Adal said thoughtfully, feeling the delicate tracery of the bracelet with her fingertip.

“That makes sense.” Chiona said softly before continuing. “I suppose I should admit something. It wasn’t only the aura of your condition that drew me out to you on the stairs but the powerful one this bracelet of your radiates. I hope you understand that Nilen has given you a powerful gift that you should make sure to use wisely.”

Adal nodded. “I will, I will be very responsible with it.” Adal said, tugging at it nervously before Chiona put a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

“I’m glad you came to take classes today. I think it will teach you something about that bracelet of yours, and how it will help you help others. Come, lets get down there and get started.” Chiona said, guiding her down two staircases several stairs till they reached the classroom. From there she was helped to a desk where she took a seat against the wall.

WC - 1,329
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lessons in liberty

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:52 pm

With the window open and the sun of her face, Adal used the moment to take off her long coat before settling back in the chair to wait patiently for the class to start. She had no idea what to expect, but after that encounter in the hallway, she was going to make sure she gave it her full attention.

“Okay everyone. As I’m sure many of you know already if not all of you, this is an introductory class meant to inform you all about magic. Arcanology is the scientific study of magic, the theory behind it and within its usage. Before we can discuss the various forms of magic however we have to get a few basic terms out of the way. The most important one, and the one you will hear the most is Djed. It is the energy in everything, and everyone. Without it nothing would exist.” Chiona said, and Adal felt a tingle of recognition as she said the word Djed. Backbone. A fitting name for the energy that was behind everything she thought as she tapped her finger on the desk.

“Djed is not just things. It is ideas. It is sentience. It is free will. The apple I am holding in my hand is made up of Djed. Anything you can think of is Djed in some form or another. Djed not only makes up everything, it is everything. Consider this apple for a moment. This apple’s djed is what makes it an apple.” Chiona said stopping for a moment as she let that sink in.

“I see a lot of confused looks from the lot of you so I’ll explain. This apple’s djed is what makes it an apple. Just like this desk’s djed is what makes it a desk. So Djed is both the source of the identity for this apple, and its universal nature of appleness.” Chiona said. Resting her chin on her palm, Adal considered those words for a moment. Thought about how they related to the deeper meaning of the word. Backbone. The context helped her put the ideas as she ran her left hand across the top of the desk. She could tell by feelings the grains of it that it was made of wood. It was also hard, and tracing with both hands now across the edges of the desk she guess it was cut into a roughly rectangular shape. There was a djed behind each of those properties that made it so they could interact with these objects. The more she thought about it, the more what Chiona was saying made sense although it quickly grew complicated when she thought about what sort of djed must make up people.

“Consider the apple once more. The djed in this apple cannot be created nor destroyed, only transformed. All Djed is like that.” Chiona said before pausing for a moment before speaking again. “By taking a bite out of this apple, I have transformed its djed. Part of this apple will be digested by my body where it will then become a part of my djed. The part of the apple I have bitten off has exposed the inner apple to the djed in the air, causing it to react. Eventually the air will brown the flesh of the apple because of the reaction between these two types of djed. Its seeing djed transform before your very eyes.”

“With that said, some forms of djed are purer than others. Your djed for instance is stronger It than that of an apples because you have free will and have control over the transformation of your own djed unlike that apple.

“Finally, as I have just shown you. Some transformations are irreversible like my eating the apple. I could regurgitate the apple, what is left of it anyways, but it will not reform back into the apple that it once was. This goes back again to the fact that its djed is not as strong as ours, and even ours is not capable of coming back from such a transformations.”

“Now before we go on, I can see it on all of your faces. How does this pertain to magic? Well consider your personal djed. Most of us store excess djed in our bodies, energy that we just haven’t used yet. How much depends on a number of things that we won’t get into today, but suffice it to say everyone has a pool of it. A mage is someone who has learned how to tap into that djed, and use it to accomplish various things. Now I want you all to close your eyes for a moment, and think about what we have discussed so far while I prepare the board.” Chiona said.

Sitting back in her seat, Adal didn’t really have to close her eyes, but she did so anyways as she organized what Chiona had said so far. First and most importantly, Djed was the energy behind everything, the backbone of every identity and nature. It cannot be created nor destroyed, only repurposed which is what mages do when they utilize the djed in their own bodies. Which brought her back to the second point about how some forms of djed are more pure than others, like that of people compared to that of an apple. We have free will where an apple does not. Finally some transformations are irreversible. Following that logic she had to assume that one of those irreversible transformations was a mage using their own djed. Burning it off like one might through exercises but much more rapidly. Only one did not tap into it automatically like they did for exercise otherwise they would all be mages. There must be part of the process that she was missing that was keeping her from putting it all together.

WC - 975
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lessons in liberty

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:55 pm

“On this board I have listed the three types of magic that we know today. There is personal magic which uses the djed from your own as the fuel. There is world magic which draws upon djed in your environment, and finally there is divine magic or gnosis which draws upon their power source in order to confer upon their followers certain abilities. For the purposes of this introductory class, we will be doing a brief overview of the various disciplines that can be found under the first two.”

“Starting with personal magic we have Auristics which is the specialty of the Dusk family. Because everything has djed, everything has an aura, and Auristics is the use of magic to enhance our ability to sense and interpret these auras to know anything from the physical properties of an object to if someone is sick or not. The possibilities are truly endless.”

“Another personal magic and the specialty of the Dawn family here in Lhavit is Reimancy which is the ability of a mage to convert their djed into one of the four elements, air, water, fire, earth. Additionally, the Dawns practice shielding which uses a wizards djed to create a magical barrier that can ward against anything they might wish to.”

“Then of course there is morphing which is a specialty of the Twilight family which allows a mage to transform their body using their djed. However the personal magic practiced in the three towers is not all there is, and indeed not all that can be found in Lhavit.”

“Projection for instance is practice by the Shinya whom guard our borders. It is the magical art that allows the user to detach their astral body from their physical one in order to accomplish certain tasks. There is also Flux used by some mages to enhance their physical abilities by manipulating their bodies energy to increase their strength and speed.”

“Familiarly on the otherhand is not practiced by many mages here in Lhavit because it requires the world magic of Summoning which uses special coordinates to create doors to other worlds. From one such of these worlds a mage may take a familiar that will magically bond to them and share his personal djed pool. Because of this it is fringe personal magic that you aren’t just going to stumble into.

“Finally there is hypnotism which allows a mage to use their djed to make their arguments and actions more convincing by manipulating others people’s djed.” Chiona said, clearing her throat before continuing to say, “However if you know that you are being manipulated, it will make the mage’s attempts to influence you significantly less effect so I suggest you remember that if you take anything from today’s lesson.”

“As for world magic of course we have already mentioned summoning. There is also Animation which can breath life into inanimate objects, Alchemy which can create entirely new materials from mixing the djed of other materials, Magecraft which facilitates the creation of magical items, gly-” Adal reached down to touch her bracelet for a moment, considering the thin chain between her fingers as she rolled it back and forth. So there was a mage behind this bracelet and charm, but did Nilen make it, or someone else. It explained why Chiona was so interested in it beyond it simply being magical. She supposed that she had always figured that was how it had been brought about, how else unless divine chance, but still to have a name to put to it helped bring it into context. Belatedly she realized she had lost focus on the conversation, and turned back to listen as Chiona was just finishing up.

“An of course we have divine magic through marks called gnosis which usually involve very specific abilities that depend on the god or goddess that marked the individual.” Chiona let out a long sigh, and clapped her hands together. “Well that concludes today Arcanology lesson, I hope you all took something of value out of it, and if you aren’t staying for the Auristics class I bid you good day.”

Adal lingered in the back of the classroom while she listened to a few people filter in and out. She was still trying to wrap her head around what had just been discussed when Chiona walked up to her. Chiona who smell like she had rolled in a bed of the flowers outside. The smell grew stronger the closer the woman drew up to her.

WC - 751
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lessons in liberty

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:56 pm

“What did you think of the lecture on Arcanology?” Chiona asked, and Adal considered her words carefully for a moment before answering.

“It was interesting, a bit confusing at first but I get why djed is the backbone. I’m still trying to translate how one goes from their to practicing anyone of those disciplines you mentioned.” Adal admitted with a nervous smile.

“Remember how I said that I was reading your aura earlier?” Chiona asked. Adal nodded.

“Well Auristics doesn’t have an initiation like say Reimancy or projection does. You just need to be able to recognize the djed in your body, and have the capacity to manipulate it.” Chiona said carefully.

“How do I know if I have the capacity for it?” Adal asked after taking a moment to digest what Chiona had just said.

“That I can’t answer. Its deeply personal to the user, and it depends on your own ability to not only sense the djed inside of yourself, but control it as well.” Chiona said, and then Adal felt the woman’s long hair brush against her face as the woman must have leaned forward. “We won’t be going over this in the lesson for obvious reasons, but if you really want to test if you have the capacity for it, run yourself a warm bath when you get home, close your eyes and empty your mind while you float in it for as long as you can stand it. Try to keep your mind as quiet as possible. It might take several days worth of attempts but eventually, if you sense something extraordinary that you haven’t felt before, you have likely touched your first aura.” Chiona said before Adal listened to her walk away back to the front of the classroom that had noisily filled in while she had been whispering.

Adal made a mental note to try that when she got home, and then straightened up in her chair to listen to what Chiona had to say.

“This next class will be going over the basic principals and ideas behind Auristics so if you missed the arcanology class, I would advise you to step out while you still can and not waste your money because you likely won’t understand a bit of it. Auristics is the personal magic that this tower specializes in. As the name suggests, it has to deal with auras, particularly reading them which can be useful from time to time. Everything has an aura, with people having some of the largest and most complex auras out there.”

“By looking at an object you might be able to tell if it has been moved recently, what it would feel like if you picked it up, the possibilities are as many as they are varied when it comes to auras. The only limit is your skill at interpreting them and the djed pool you have available to draw from. Of course as with all personal magic you must be careful with how you use it. Not only can you end up exhausting yourself and potentially causing physical damage, but if you abuse this power you can be made to see things you may not wish to see.”

“Notice how by focusing the djed around my eyes they change color slighly as I use the djed to see the auras in the room. However even for me, using this power has its limits. I do not have an endless pool of djed to draw upon. None of us do.”

“Magic is a precious resource that draws upon its user heavily, and if you are not careful and don’t know your limits it will have permanent consequences on your life. Like with every magical discipline it should be used in a responsible way that helps better the community we have fostered here, and not in a way that harms another member. I know that it may be hard to grasp, but even Auristics can be used to cause trouble. This is why it is so hard to study at our tower, and why we don’t just let anyone in. These classes today are meant to educate you on the various disciplines we teach here at the Dusk tower, but not how to manipulate djed in order to do so. That sort of power can’t be trusted to just anyone, you have to prove yourself worthy first. So if you found that you took something significant out of this lesson today and want to try to gain admission, I encourage you to go for it, but it will not be as simple as paying a fee and filling out a slip of paper. Here you get in based on the people who can vouch for you, and the more respected that person’s position is in our community, the more likely you will be accepted into the tower.”

Chiona clapped her hands. “So what does that mean for all of you. Well, it means it pays to be on your best behavior and not just act kindly to one another but be kind. The people who’s recommendations we value are smart enough to see through any temporary mask you might put up so its best to actually work on actually being kind and thoughtful with your day to day dealings. Okay? Alright, if you aren’t staying for Spiritism, it was lovely meeting all of you. Have a good rest of your day.”

WC - 905
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lessons in liberty

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:57 pm

For this nextpart Chiona had help from the students that remained setting out bowls at each of the desks. When her bowl came, Adal used her fingers to carefully explore the contents of the bowl although her nose would have mostly sufficed. Inside seemed to be a soft ball of cheese cover in a powdery mixture she had to assume was flour. Also nestled within was an oval object that she gave an experimental jiggle before quickly deciding it had to be an egg in context with the other ingredients
Altogether it was a confusing assortment of items that she had to assume pertained to their lesson and wasn’t just some bizarre snack. However it did make her wonder if she would have trouble with this lesson if it was to be a physical demonstration. Given the nature of the class, she wasn’t exactly sure what to expect as there weren’t many ghosts in Lhavit for obvious reasons.

So Adal did what she had been doing for most of the lessons, and sat back to listen to the lesson, although her mind kept straying back to what Chiona had said about auristics.

“Okay, I see everyone has there materials. In this final lesson we will be discussing the world magic Spiritism which as most of you know is another thing the dusk tower is known for. We are the reason that Lhavit remains for the most part ghost free, that and most native Lhavitians are happy enough to move on with the cycle when their time comes and we throw a party to celebrate such an occasion.”

“Still it is an important discipline, and helps keep our city safe from more malevolent forces that might wish us harm. It is also just the sort of magic you can all experience first hand without the initiation process personal magic requires. In front of you all are the basic components you need in order to make soulmist which is a form of djed that the is key to every ghost’s powers. It is also the key to ours against them if need be because with it a spiritist may trade a ghost for favors, or use it to coat a weapon that will be able to fend off a dangerous ghost.”

“A spiritist can create soulmist by mixing these three ingredients along with their own blood, and mixing it together in a bowl, or you can save a step and mix it in your mouth because in order for it to become soulmist you must chew on it for however long it takes to infuse the mixture with your djed. While you are chewing you need to concentrate on what you are trying to achieve, and only by doing so will you come out with a satisfactory product. Now I want you all to gather together your ingredients and start to do as I said. I will be walking around to each of you to help you each with the last ingredient if you wish to participate.”

Nervously, Adal felt for the bowl in front of her, drawing it towards herself slightly before feeling out the contents with her fingertips. The shedding blood part kind of scared her, but she was past the point of turning back now after everything Chiona had said to her. She felt like if she balked at this part there was no way she could accomplish that other thing which was something she was desperately curious about given her own limitation. An it was a limitation she could see that clearly now athough most of the time she tried to suppress that notion.

So feeling around for the egg, she cracked that first into the bowl and started mixing it all together with her fingers getting a nice paste like consistency right around the time that Chiona walked over to her table. Along with her particular smell, Adal was also starting to notice that Chiona had a particular way of walking, lightly in a way that didn’t make too much noise as her boot scrapped against the floor. She must be walking on the balls of her feet Adal thought as Chiona gently took her hand in hers.

WC - 701
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lessons in liberty

Postby Adal Karelyn on May 8th, 2022, 4:59 pm

“Its only going to bit a little prick on the edge of your finger. You won’t need much blood for the small amount of soulmist we are going to make today.” Chiona explained as she slowly splayed out the fingers before driving a sharp edge into the pad of her middle finger. Adal winced, but didn’t make a noise as Chiona held her hand over the bowl, squeezing the fingertip for a moment before withdrawing her hand.

“Now mix it together in your mouth. Its not going to taste very good, but try to look pasts that and just focus on what you want to create okay?” Chiona said, and then more quietly. “If you can do this then I have no doubt you can learn auristics if you set your mind to it.”

Adal nodded, reaching into the bowl for the mixture and after briefly squeezing the sticky wet mass into a smaller ball, she popped it into her mouth before the metallic smell became too much. The taste wasn’t much better, and she had to strain to resist gagging. Chiona patted her back before walking away which helped Adal past her initial revulsion as she masticated slowly on the ball while trying to turn her mind towards emptying out her djed into this mass, yet it didn’t feel to her like she was drawing upon a pool or anything of a sort to do this. Maybe Spiritism didn’t work like that though. If world magic drew djed from the environment maybe it the transformation would happen because of the ambient djed in her mouth was stronger than would could be found outside the bowl.

She tried to keep her mind on making this transformation happen, picturing her ambient djed focusing around her head, infusing the dough that got oddly clammy between her teeth.

It was at that sober point that Chiona spoke up. “Alright, enough time has passed, spit it out and lets see what you have all got.”

From the chorus of disappointed sighs and shouts of , Adal was quite nervous as she spit out her own mixture into the bowl and waited till Chiona came around to see if she succeeded. When she heard the woman arrive, she waited tensely for her reply, almost jumping out of her seat when it came.

“Adal, have you touched what you made yet?” Chiona asked.

“What? No, I haven’t. Sorry was I supposed to?” Adal asked.

“Go ahead and try.” Chiona urged.

Nodding, Adal went along with it, meekly reaching into the bowl when her fingertips brushed against something unexpectedly cold. Her fingers flinched back in response and Chiona chuckled.

“You did it.” She said quietly, then more loudly for the class as Adal felt the bowl being taken away. “For those of you who were unable to produce soulmist, this is what it should look like if you succeed. I must remind you all that it is not enough to just chew on the mixture, you must also concentrate on nothing else but trying to accomplish exactly this okay? Very well, class dismissed. I hope you all took something valuable out of today. If you didn’t then maybe the study of magic isn’t in the cards for you.”

With the lesson concluded, Adal stood up, gathering her things before sucking on the tip of her middle finger while she waited for the rest of the class to filter out. Then before she knew it, Chiona was back to walk her out.

“Oh you don’t need to. I think I can remember the rest of the way.” Adal stammered.

“Don’t worry about it. I can at least see you back to where I found you, and then well see about having someone guide you back to where you are staying at.” Chiona said firmly, and Adal wasn’t about to argue with that tone or the assistance she offered. She followed the woman along quietly for a stretch before Chiona spoke up again.

“I want you to remember to try what I told you when you get home tonight. It might not be today. In fact it probably won’t be today, or tomorrow or the next day, but if you succeed I want you to let Nilen know. We’ll work out the rest from there. Also I want you to take this. Its a memory charm that when you hold it will help you acutely remember the moment you are trying to go back to. Use it to remember all that you have learned in our lesson today, and anything else that might help you. So long as you hold it, you will stay in the memory as if you had never left it. Careful though where you use it as it is a powerful magic that will make you oblivious to your surroundings.” Chiona said pressing the charm into her hand.

Smiling, Adal brought the charm over to her chain and was looking for a place to slip it on when the charm snapped into place on its own as if it was meant to be.

“I told you that bracelet was a powerful source of magic. Be careful Adal.” Chiona said, brushing the side of Adal’s face with the back of her hand.

Nodding, Adal beamed a smile. “I can’t thank you enough for your help today. I really learned a lot more than I expected coming here. If.. Um well if you aren’t busy, you should come by Talin’s studio sometime so I can try and sculpt you something. Its what I do to get by.” Adal said, trailing off softly.

“I’ll do that sometime. Fenstra, can you do me a favor and walk this young woman back to wherever she is staying. I’m afraid her escort left her here unattended.” Cliona said briefly, before giving Adal’s hand a gentle squeeze. “Be seeing you Adal.”

WC - 979
Adal Karelyn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lessons in liberty

Postby Cleon on July 13th, 2022, 9:37 pm

Grade Award!

Adal Karelyn:

Skills: Arcanology: 3
Intimidation: 1
Logic: 2
Meditation: 1
Observation: 5
Research: 2
Sculpting: 1
Spiritisim: 2
Socialization: 3

Lores:

How to hold a chisel
How to break with a chisel
How to chip with a chisel
How to find the edge with a chisel
How a chisel exerts force
What a hard hammer tap does to a chisel
What a soft hammer tap does to a chisel
Introducing a groove with a chisel
Using shapes to sculpt an object from memory
Sandra: Childhood rival
Sandra: Likes to pick on Adal
Talin: Smells like oil paints
Talin: Owner of the studio
Chiona Dusk: Teacher at the Dusk tower
Chiona: Knows about Adal’s Bracelet
Chiona: Knows Nadar Canoch
Silver Lips Charm Ability: Understanding Nadar Canoch
Listening to Nadar Canoch for the first time
Speaking Nadar Canoch for the first time
Nadar Canoch: Ancient tongue used by mages
Arcanology: The scientific study of magic
Djed: Means Backbone in Nadar Canoch
Djed: Is the backbone of everything
Djed: Is the source of identity
Djed: Is the source of universal nature
Djed: Cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed
Djed: What makes some forms purer than others
Djed: Some transformations are permanent
Arcanology: Everyone has a personal djed pool
Arcanology: Personal magic draws upon individual djed pools
Arcanology: World magic draws djed out of the enviornment
Arcanology: Divine magic draws upon the djed of a diety through a gnosis mark
Dusk Family: Specializes in Auristics
Auristics: Using magic to to perceive auras
Auristics: All djed has an aura
Dawn Family: Specializes in Reimancy and Shielding
Reimancy: The ability to convert djed into air, water, fire or earth
Shielding: Uses djed to create a magical barrier
Twilight Family: Specializes in morphing
Morphing: Allows a mage to transform their body with djed
Shinya: Practice Projection and flux
Projection: Uses djed to manipulate their astral body
Flux: Uses djed to enhance physical abilities to increase strength and speed
Familiarly: Is the process of magically bonding with a familiar
Summoning: Uses special diagrams to open portals to other worlds
Hypnotism: Uses djed to influence and manipulate others
Animation: Used to make inanimate objects lifelike
Alchemy: Transforms the djed of multiple sources into a single source
Magecraft: Uses djed to give magical properties to items
Divine Magic: Gnosis marks are specific to the gods/goddesses that gave that mark
Meditation: How to make a sensory deprivation bath
Arcanology: To manipulate magic one must sense it in their bodies
Arcanology: How to recognize djed inside the body
Auristics: Overgiving symptoms
Auristics: Auras can tell about if an object has been moved recently
Auristics: Auras can tell about an objects physical properties
Auristics: Sentient beings have large, complex auras
Dusk Tower: Is careful about whom can study there
Dusk Tower: Need a recommendation to study there
Spiritism: Uses djed to interact with ghosts
Spirtism: Soulmist helps bolster a ghost’s powers
Spiritism: Soulmist helps a spirits defend against ghosts
Spritism: Soulmist can be used to garner favor with ghosts
Spiritism: A soulmist coated weapon can harm ghosts
Spiritism: Soulmist is created by mixing flour, egg, cheese and blood
Spiritism: Making Soulmist requires concentrating on what is being accomplished
Soulmist: Feels cold to the touch
Arcanology: Magic requires constant effort and practice to learn

Acquired: X shaped charm

Feel free to pm me with questions or concerns about your grade, and don’t forget to edit your grade request! :)
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)