[Flashback] A Network of Knots

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Edalene on December 28th, 2010, 11:26 am

‎501AV, 63rd Summer

She was seven. Eda had had a carefree day, nothing out of the ordinary had occurred. The ‎sun had risen early that day, and she had risen with it. Eda went about her daily chores of ‎cleaning the Pavillion and making sure the weapons cabinet at the training grounds of the ‎Diamond clan was in order. It had been, and Eda had finished her chores surprisingly early ‎that day, barely two hours after she had taken the midday meal. She had rewarded herself ‎with the privilege of watching the warriors train.‎

‎The clanging of metal rushed in her ears, as she observed strong armed Drykas sparring ‎with all manner of sword – bastard, long and her personal favourite, the broadsword. ‎Eda’s eyes greedily drunk in the sight of the broadsword fighters, watching with barely ‎concealed delight the perfection of moves she had envied and the artistry of moves she had ‎never before seen. Eda noticed a new move, a move she had never seen done, a sort of ‎twisting movement at the waist, bringing the sword up above the head and swinging it ‎down swiftly onto the opponent’s skull (of course, in training, the muscled biceps of the ‎men stopped the sword from splitting the other’s head open). Eda took particular note of ‎this new move, and labelled it, as she did when she saw moves she did not know the name ‎of. This one she named ‘The Twisting Hawk’. The names she thought of weren’t anything ‎special, but young Eda was amused by her so called creativity.

The clash of metal paused for a moment, as a new man stepped onto the training ground. ‎He was dressed in thick leather armour, glistening in the sunlight; the imprinted knot work ‎is sharp relief against the lighter tan of the leather breast. This man was impressive, a true ‎fighter, with a large beautiful broadsword at his hip. This man, Eda thought proudly, was ‎her father. He was an accomplished broadsword master. Eda had been begging him for the ‎better part of three years to teach her his skills, to help her become as adept as he.

She wanted nothing more in life than to be the one that young children stared at in awe, ‎when she stepped onto the training ground with that tan armour and huge monstrous ‎sword. But how was the dream supposed to be accomplished if he refused to teach her how ‎to use the sword! Eda was a good girl; she did all her chores and didn’t really cause much ‎trouble… Really, last week’s trouble with Yatree’s etching was hardly her fault!‎
Last edited by Edalene on December 29th, 2010, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Edalene
Something more.

Words: 160500
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2010, 9:01 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Edalene on December 28th, 2010, 11:28 am

Eda turned her attention back to her strong father, who had unsheathed his sword. Oh, ‎how she loved that sword. It was large, wide, always sharp and always glittering in the sun ‎and moonlight. But what made that sword so amazingly special to Eda was the inlaid ‎knotwork to the blade. It was a series of abstract knots, emotive and gentle. It turned a great ‎piece of Drykas weaponry into a great piece of Drykas art. What made the knots so beautiful ‎and heartbreaking to Eda was why they were there.‎

It remained one of her most vivid memories as a child. Her father had taken her to the steel ‎workshop when she was three, ready to pick up the broadsword he had ordered several weeks ‎prior. Eda had taken one look at the newly forged sword, and being a bit of a talkative child, ‎blurted out: “Daddy, it’s not pretty enough!” Her father, rather than being mad or ‎embarrassed by his clueless daughter, smiled sadly down at her. “Your mother would have ‎thought the same,” he murmured, and promptly drew a network of knots on the dusty floor ‎with the tip of the sword, and demanded it to be engraved onto the blade. Bending down, her ‎father grabbed her shoulders and looked into her eyes, carefully. “Edalene, this design is your ‎mother. It is everything about her. It is only fitting that she gets a place on my second love, ‎the sword.” He smiled and stood, ruffling her hair. Eda may not have understood everything ‎her father had said, but she understood sadness and understood the longing he had for his ‎wife to be back – the same longing she had for a mother. The topic of the knots was never ‎again brought up between father and child.
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Postby Edalene on December 28th, 2010, 11:29 am

The knots seemed to stand out in sharp relief as her father drew the sword, glittering ‎against the sky blue backdrop of the heavens. A pause was there, almost slow motion, as he ‎gripped his sword tighter and moved into a neutral stance. Eda smiled at his antics. ‎Neutral? Her father? Just wait until the opponent was flat on the ground with a blade on his ‎neck. He shifted slightly as a warrior stepped forward to spar with him. The new warrior’s ‎name was Yatree, and Eda flushed with embarrassment at the memory of the week before.‎

Eda had been sneaking around the pavillion silently, as she was technically supposed to be ‎organising the spears at the training ground. She had seen Yatree kneeling on his bed, sword ‎across his lap, whetstone in hand. Her curiosity had gotten the best of her. In attempted ‎stealth mode, she inched forward, trying to see over his shoulder. As she had neared the ‎warrior’s body, she tripped over his shield, lying to the right and the back at him. She had ‎fallen to the ground with a clatter and a yell, and Yatree had jumped up with a surprised yelp ‎and sword in hand. In the excitement, however, the whetstone had slipped from his hand and ‎across the blade. What were the beginnings of a glassbeak were now marred by the long ‎jagged line snaking its way across the metal. Yatree had begun yelling at her, cursing her ‎‎“clumsiness, and petching childhood! How are you to be a Diamond Clan warrior if you can’t ‎even walk straight?”‎

At that moment, her father had walked into the pavillion. Joy, now she was going to be yelled ‎at by two people. Her father had asked her what she was doing there. Before she could come ‎up with a brilliant explanation as to why she was lying dusty on the floor of their home, and ‎not organising the spears as she had been asked to, Yatree burst out in blustering tones and ‎red face something Eda being a useless child, and good for nothing except marring other ‎people’s works, sticking her nose into other people’s business and ruining their swords. ‎Lowering her head, Eda waited for her father to explode at her, but no such outburst came. ‎

Peeking out from under her long hair, she saw her father looking just as angry as the other ‎Drykas, and yet not at her. He was towering over Yatree, looking menacing with a hand on ‎his sword hilt. “Yatree,” he began his voice deceptively soft. “I must be mistaken, but I believe ‎you just called my daughter useless.” Yatree did not back down: “Yes, I did! Your daughter is ‎good for nothing and needs to mind her own business. And get her a Strider already, for ‎petching sake!” Striders, a sore topic of conversation with Eda’s father, were what set him off. ‎‎“You petching rude man. It was your own fault! Whoever heard of a Drykas warrior being ‎terrified of a clanging shield! It was your immaturity, not my daughter’s, which caused this ‎mess. AND YOU’RE TERRIBLE AT KNOTWORK ANYWAY!” With that last remark, he ‎scooped Eda up into his arms as if she were still the three year old at the metal smith.‎
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Postby Edalene on December 28th, 2010, 11:32 am

Yatree gripped his sword with two hands, approaching her father with light step and ‎concentration on his face. She giggled just a bit as the sun threw the jagged line down the ‎middle of the sword into sight. She had heard Yatree was pretending it was there on ‎purpose, being abstract art, or some other nonsense. Smiling, she turned her head back ‎towards her father. Watching him spar was amongst Eda’s favourite things to do. He was ‎skilled with the blade, and his movements seemed graceful, as if he were dancing – so at ‎odds with his intimidating physique. ‎

Yatree and her father began to circle each other, shifting forward slightly, and looking for ‎the other’s weaknesses. Suddenly, Yatree lunged forward, sword swinging out sideways, ‎hoping to clip her father on the shoulder. But before the steel could make contact with ‎flesh, her father sidestepped and met the swinging sword with a shivering clash. He used ‎his muscular strength to push Yatree’s sword up above his head, and as quick as lightning, ‎spun around and brought his sword to Yatree’s throat. Yatree stumbled backwards, amazed ‎at how fast the bout was over, and edged back from the sharpened tip of Eda’s father’s ‎sword. Her father inclined his head softly, smiling. Eda knew the gleam in his eye, that ‎satisfied smirk of besting someone who had slighted him. ‎

Before she could stop herself, Eda left out a cheer of victory. All heads whipped around to ‎where she had sat, previously unnoticed. Most of the Drykas remained passive, used to the ‎younger children watching. Yatree, however, scowled at her. He was evidently unhappy ‎with her presence, and the fact that she had seen him get beat. Though Eda had eyes for ‎only one person. She looked straight at her father, smiling nervously, hoping he wouldn’t ‎mind her being here. Instead of a frown, she was met with her favourite crinkle eyed smile, ‎and a silent acquiescence to her presence. She settled in for an afternoon of entertainment, ‎excitement and watching the warriors.‎

It certainly was an eventful afternoon. Eda watched with growing awe and pride as her ‎father owned the training ground. He won the majority of his spars, and those he did not; ‎he lost with grace, bowing to the greater swordsman. Her father really was skilled with the ‎blade, Eda thought. However, a small twinge of regret tinged Eda’s pride. If only she were ‎allowed to practice the sword, to put the moves she had memorised into practice with an ‎actual broadsword, not some stick on the ground. Then, perhaps, she could earn some ‎respect with the rest of the Drykas! It was with this thought at the back of her mind that ‎Eda wasted the day away, until there was only one hour of sunlight left in the day. All the ‎other Drykas warriors had gone home, to hearty dinners and warm wives, discarding their ‎sweaty armour. ‎
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Postby Edalene on December 28th, 2010, 11:33 am

Eda stood up and stretched, joints cracking from a long day of sitting and watching. As she ‎paced around the training ground, scuffing her boots in the dust, she daydreamed of the ‎day that she could be a warrior here, too. The day when she would best the other trainers! ‎The day when she would be a mighty defender of Endrykas! The day—but her musings ‎were cut short by a cough behind her. Whirling around, her long hair fanning out, she ‎clasped her hands behind her back. She bowed her head to her father, who now stood in ‎front of her.‎

He had discarded his leather armour, changing into his floaty summer garb, white for the ‎Diamond Clan. He stood in front of her, arms folded, muscles straining out against top. He ‎was an intimidating sight, his face drawn and solemn. Eda would have thought him ‎displeased, but she knew him well enough to spot the twinkle in his eye. She gave him her ‎full attention, little girl adoration, as he began to speak.

‎“Edalene, you are a lazy child. I hope you have finished all of your chores, or a hiding will be ‎in order!” Eda’s head snapped up, worried for a moment at her father’s serious tone. Her ‎fears were allayed by the quirk of his lips, so she decided to play along.

‎“Father,” she began. “You cannot force me to work in this manner! I have not done any of ‎the chores you set me, nor will I do them ever again! I shall claim your sword, and you can ‎do all the chores for me!” Her father leaped forward and began to tickle her, forcing her to ‎the ground. Eda shrieked and giggled, attempted to roll away, but he held her fast. She ‎ended up sitting on his lap, cradled in his arms. Eda loved moments like this – moments ‎where he lost all responsibility, and played with her wholeheartedly. Where both he and she ‎regressed in age so that they had the maturity of an excitable toddler. These were the ‎moments of true happiness.‎

Cradling her close, he began to speak. Eda calmed her breathing and listen. “Claim my ‎sword? You mean, this very sword her?” He pulled away from her a little, and drew his ‎beloved broadsword, watching it gleam yellow for a moment in the light of the setting sun. ‎Nodding feverishly, she carried along the joke. “Yes, I shall be mine! I will take it from you ‎by force!” He smiled down thoughtfully at her. “By force shall not be necessary, Edalene. I ‎will give it to you freely.” A small part of her recognised the joke was over, and yet, how ‎could he be serious? He chuckled softly at the confused look on his daughter’s face. Taking ‎Eda’s smaller hands in his larger calloused one, he passed the sword over to her.‎

‎“I do believe it is about time my daughter learned to use the sword. And how could I have ‎her learn on any but this?” Eda shifted in his lap, twisting to look at him. He was smiling ‎gently, with a look of understanding in his eye. She opened her mouth a couple of times, ‎and finally managed to croak out an inadequate question. “Really?” Her father nodded his ‎head slowly, never breaking eye contact.

‎“Really, Edalene. I will teach you the broadsword. This sword is yours to keep.”

The moment too poignant and meaningful to ruin, she clasped her small, child’s hand ‎around the hilt and brought it to her chest. The light from the sunset lit up the network of ‎knots, and father and daughter sat together in silence. ‎
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Postby Cardinal on February 7th, 2011, 5:34 am

Edalene

Skills
Observation - 2
Stealth - 1

Lore
Self-made names for broadsword fighting forms
Drykas sword decoration
Being sneaky... Or not
Being defended by your father

Notes: That, my dear, was devestatingly touching.
Note: I am getting back into the groove of things. Thank you for your patience.
Assistant Storyteller of Endrykas
My Office | Endrykas Lore | Endrykas Play | Drykas Lore
Cardinal
Secretly Itzpapalotl

Words: 12425
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2010, 6:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office