A Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

A Question

Postby Amarhyl on February 9th, 2011, 6:12 pm

I've been browsing through the site and wiki all afternoon, and finally decided to join up.
I have a pretty solid idea for a character already, as I started writing a story a while back (never finished though), and I want to use my main character from there.
However, I got a little confused when I was trying to fit her into the lore.
In my original character design for my story, she was a magic-user, in the sense that she could summon and control fire for very short periods of time. Upon reading the lore I understand that she probably wouldn't be able to do this without dying. Also, she is very young, only 16-17 years old, and if I understand correctly, she wouldn't have anywhere near the skills needed for this.
My main question is, would she know the magic naturally from birth, or would she have to learn it?
Also, if this works out and she can be a magic user, I know I will need to rethink the magic she uses. From what I understand, she will have a branch of 'Personal Magic' and it would be Reimancy, taking the form of fire.
So my other question would be, if she can use magic in this way, would she need to be taught it, or could she 'accidentally discover' it?

I apologise for the long-winded post, I just wanted clarity, as I managed to confuse myself pretty well.
Amarhyl
Knowledge Seeker

Words: 56680
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2011, 5:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Question

Postby Ageru on February 9th, 2011, 6:34 pm

From my understanding of the Article I would have to say knowing Reimancy from birth or being a 'natural' at it would be impossible without first being Initiated by some other wizard who knows Reimancy. Sure once she is initiated she the abilities could come rather easy to her, but it would most likely take practice. Much like riding a bike. You can't just succeed on the first try. You have many (for me countless) falls until you actually do it, and once you get the hang of it can can start practicing it more and more until it becomes natural to you. Buuuut that is just my interpretation...
Ageru
Player

Words: 61756
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Question

Postby Leviathan on February 9th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Ageru correct.

To learn or know reimancy, your PC has to have gone through initiation of a wizard that is at or beyond the level of 'competency', which for the sake of having a solid understand of what a competent level is it is set at 26 points in Reimancy. At Novice level, the Reimancer has fairly weak area of control, fairly weak control itself, and tends to 'Overgive' more often than not.

This is where you probably got the idea that your PC would die if she uses fire. Dying is not always the case. I myself have a reimancer of water, who has had some dangerous encounters with Overgiving, but he is not dead. The way you can start out with Reimancy, thus never needing to be initiated by another or whatever, is simple spend at least 5 of your starter points into Reimancy. This would automatically make your PC have been initiated in the past. Where you are not required to roleplay out the initiation, you may do so in a flashback if for nothing else but exp and character development.

So, if your PC is not careful with magic, you could die. But if you roleplay it correctly, your PC would go through a series of experiences first: a metallic taste on the tongue, delusions of whispering voices urging you to go on, visual delusions, eventually internal and external bleeding, believe you can go further than you can, and then passing out and/or dying.

So, I guess in short form. You can not start out setting entire cities ablaze. You can not throw balls of fire without rest. You can not know fire from birth. You don't have to die from it, but you have to be smart and considerate of the very dangerous risks.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. Thanks you!

Oh, and of course, congrats on picking Mizahar. Get to know us, let us get to know you, and you'll never regret it. ;)
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

A Question

Postby Amarhyl on February 9th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Thank you both for the replies.
Just before reading them I found the actual article on reimancy and saw it needs to 'invade' the person.
It's quite a hard decision for me to make, as I had such a strong image of my pc from my previous story, though I think I may have come up with a compromise, which I shall pm you about, if that is okay :)

And I'm so happy that I found Mizahar. I've been searching for something like this for so long, and I was just overwhelmed by the amount of work and thought that has gone into this site. Needless to say, I'm rather excited.
Amarhyl
Knowledge Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Question

Postby Siiri on February 9th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Hi there.

Just to get an idea on the mindset of mages in Mizahar and how magic is perceived by the common people in general, may I suggest reading the following wiki articles as well?
- Magic
- Wizard Psychology
Last edited by Siiri on February 9th, 2011, 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

A Question

Postby Amarhyl on February 9th, 2011, 9:50 pm

I read the one on magic, and the one on reimancy, but not the wizard one, so thank you.
I'm debating and fine-tuning my decisions around reimancy, but I know for a fact that if she does posses any of the skill at all, she's not going to go around using it all the time. If anything she'll pretend to have no knowlege of it at all.
Amarhyl
Knowledge Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets