[Ophelia's Pond] Jumping on the bandwaggon

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Ophelia on February 26th, 2011, 2:57 am

Nicky's Scrapbook

Because she does what all the cool kids do.

So, for my first scrapbook post, you're not going to get a lovely little intro into the life of Nicky, what my favourite colour is, where I live, how many times I've watched Lord of the Rings, etc etc etc. Most of you (who'll read this) know who I am and if you don't, hop on chat, because I'm always there.

I hate to start off my scrapbook career like this, but it's been on my mind for a while now and I feel it needs to be said. I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me, and if they don't, too bad, this is my point of view - and if I see you slipping up on it, I will call you on it.

CHAT ETIQUETTE.

• Ignorance of the Chat Rules is no excuse for not following them.
  • All Rules and Terms of Use within Mizahar’s community will be followed. This is the condition one agrees to in order to receive an account here and being given permission to playing within our environment. These rules shall be firmly enforced to provide a safe and positive environment both within the game and within chat itself.
  • Respect your fellow chatters. This means no vulgarity, disparaging remarks, arguments, or insults. We have a very low tolerance of this and you will be warned instantly if this is witnessed by an admin.
  • Please use English in chat as it is the required language of Mizahar.
  • All people who state they are 'bored' will be instantly excused from chat to go write.
  • Avoid flames, flooding, trolling, and sensitive topics as outlined by the Terms of Use.
  • The use of cryptic or innuendo-type language to 'skirt' chat rules is not allowed.
  • All chatters will be treated equally regardless of their status as a moderator or player, length of duration on Mizahar, or knowledge level.
  • Feel free to report chat abuses that occur when an Admin is not present. Do so by submitting a log to the help desk including a time and date on the report. Your report will remain anonymous and can be verified by reviewing the chat logs.
  • All Administrators (denoted by red usernames) shall be acknowledged respectfully when they ask for a change in behavior. If an admin asks for a behavior change, they will expect these changes to happen immediately.

I have been on Mizahar since October 30, 2010, so I am by no means a veteran. I am quite new in regards to a lot of my friends on the site, and am but a sapling both in game play and life in the eyes of Mike (sorry, Internet Dad, I had to!). But in the meager months since I have joined, I have noticed a clear degradation in Chat conduct. Chat used to be much more friendly and helpful to new kids, but now it has become excessively rude. On several incidents, I have witnessed clear breakage of the Chat rules.

Now, since Mizahar has grown, the Chat has degraded more and more. I am by no means blaming newbies, nor am I assuming a position of superiority in this case, but I do believe they have a link. The most logical and obviously conclusion for me to jump to is that these new people DON'T READ THE RULES. If you haven't, go and read them now so that this rant actually applies to you.

By not reading the rules, you are obviously not going to know when you are breaking them, and this has happened countless times in the last week, let alone the last couple of months. On several occassions, I have been SERIOUSLY offended and genuinely hurt by people breaking the rules. I have had disparaging remarks made about me - I have had people say there were going to rape me and I have been called a whore on numerous occasions. I am fully aware that these were made jokingly, and I hate to keep grudges, but I am still hurt by these. You didn't read the rules, you broke the rules, and in doing so, you have hurt a real living person beyond the username.

Firstly:

Respect your fellow chatters. This means no vulgarity, disparaging remarks, arguments, or insults. We have a very low tolerance of this and you will be warned instantly if this is witnessed by an admin.

I have seen so many insults thrown lately, and unfortunately, hardly any of them are picked up on. What you may think is funny may genuinely hurt someone beyond the screen. You do not know a person's values, a person's history, and so what you may joke about with friends may open a floodgate of tears on the other end.

Secondly:

Avoid flames, flooding, trolling, and sensitive topics as outlined by the Terms of Use.

Sensitive topics are outlined in the Terms of Use, and the one that jumps out at me as being the primary one broken is "Crude, derogatory, inappropriate, or disrespectful remarks aimed at any individual, group, or organization." Which seems to be something that floods chat. Now, it says avoid, and I am not trying to be conservative and say all joking should stop, but if it is a joke that can hurt people, particularly when you don't even KNOW the person you are joking about, I sincerely hope that further action will be taken.

Thirdly:

The use of cryptic or innuendo-type language to 'skirt' chat rules is not allowed.

Asteriks over vowels or any other such methods don't make your intention any less clear. We're not stupid enough to be fooled.

And finally:

Feel free to report chat abuses that occur when an Admin is not present. Do so by submitting a log to the help desk including a time and date on the report. Your report will remain anonymous and can be verified by reviewing the chat logs.

I will be doing so.

I have been genuinely hurt by some remarks. I do not want anyone else to be. Read the rules, and if you don't think you can stick to them - don't bother coming into chat.
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Words: 97802
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 12:40 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Stitch on February 27th, 2011, 3:20 am

The use of cryptic or innuendo-type language to 'skirt' chat rules is not allowed.

This is one point that I definitely don't see getting followed. The "*" is rather silly, and I also see people using "[demerit]" to skirt rules. If I remember correctly, "[demerit]" was pretty much made in mocking of chat rules when they came to be.

But, good post Nicky. I feel the same way you do, and I am glad someone else is on board with me. Bravo, and I am glad to see your Scrapbook. <33333
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Ophelia on February 27th, 2011, 10:53 am

What Keeps Me Smiling

As some of you may have noticed (sorry Jake), I've been quite touchy lately. Above post shows this exactly - I was angry when I wrote that. I get pissed off a lot easier than I usually do. It's not exactly a nice change, and I feel bad for all of you kids who put up with me everyday. Sorry, and at the same time, thank you for putting up with grumpy mean me. :)

What I usually do when I'm feeling absolutely awful - and even when I'm feeling absolutely cheerful, and even when I'm feeling absolutely normal - is read, watch, or listen to my absolute favourite thing of all time. My beloved Lord of the Rings. I've read the trilogy, first page Fellowship to last page Return twenty two times, and have picked up and read individual books/snippits/pages countless times. If you mention even the slightest instance or conversation, I could probably find you the page in 10 seconds. I've read every piece of work he's ever written. I've seen the movies literally over 200 times ... each, and can recite them all off by heart - not just the words, but hum the music, reenact the movement, create the sound effects - the whole shindig. 21 of the top 25 most played on my ipod are from the soundtrack. I'm learning freaking ELVISH. Simply put, Lord of the Rings is my life.

Why do I love it so much is a question I'm often asked. There is of course the sheer expanse of the world, the beauty of the mythology, the melodic nature of the languages, the utter realism to the characters. All of these things are ABSOLUTELY amazing and I fall in love with Lord of the Rings more and more as I contemplate the amazing world. But, the thing I cherish and love the most about my beloved Lord of the Rings is the sheer sense of HOPE it instills in me.

These four young Hobbits, physically and seemingly mentally disadvantaged, though utterly and completely EMOTIONALLY advantaged take on the world. A world of blood, and terror, and industrialism - so different from their quiet little green home. They keep trudging on, without any shoes (such symbolism!) and anything to cushion the blow for them, trudging on through loss of friend after friend, through torture, solitude, abandonment, and utter self resilience. All the while, Frodo is carrying this unbearable and irresistable evil, and it is heartbreaking to watch his descent into corruption. These four young hobbits endure the world, and come out on top.

"Is there no hope then, for Frodo and Sam?"
"There is always hope."

And then, there's the fact that Aragorn is hot.

Yes, I did cry whilst writing this.
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Kelpie on February 27th, 2011, 11:05 am

My favorite quote in the entire movie:

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

It brings me hope. :)

Brought to you by amazing Gandalf.
Kelpie
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Words: 144278
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2010, 1:27 am
Location: DS of Lhavit, Mod abilities in Lhavit and Unforgiving
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ophelia on February 27th, 2011, 11:18 am

Got to love my brother <3

My favourite quote/s:

I have more but I think these are enough inspirational ones...

TL;DR: Nicky's a nerd.

ONE
Aragorn: Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*

TWO
Sam: Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields... and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?
Frodo: No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food... nor the sound of water... nor the touch of grass. I'm... naked in the dark, with nothing, no veil... between me... and the wheel of fire! I can see him... with my waking eyes!
Sam: Then let us be rid of it... once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!

THREE
Frodo: I can see the Shire. The Brandywine River. Bag End. The Lights in the Party Tree.
Sam: Rosie Cotton dancing. She had ribbons in her hair. If ever I were to marry someone, it would have been her. It would have been her.
Frodo: I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things.

FOUR
Frodo: And thus it was. A fourth age of middle-earth began. And the fellowship of the ring... though eternally bound by friendship and love... was ended. Thirteen months to the day since Gandalf sent us on our long journey... we found ourselves looking upon a familiar sight. We were home. How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on... when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back? There are somethings that time cannot mend... some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold. Bilbo once told me his part in this tale would end... that each of us must come and go in the telling. Bilbo's story was now over. There would be no more journeys for him... save one. My dear Sam. You cannot always be torn in two. You will have to be one and whole for many years. You have so much to enjoy and to be and to do. Your part in the story will go on.

FIVE
Frodo: We set out to save the Shire, Sam. And it has been saved ... but not for me.

SIX
Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Ophelia on February 27th, 2011, 11:33 am

K, so not very good image quality but that's my drawing of the Shire map.

That's my Gollum

And that's Legolas!

I know I suck at drawing >>
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Iris Dove on February 27th, 2011, 2:11 pm

I always liked Pippin and Merry's Song of the Green Dragon:

While drunk and dancing around on a table, they sing:

You can search far an wide
You can drink the whole town dry
But you'll never find a beer so brown
But you'll never find a beer so brown
As the one we drink in our home town
As the one we drink in our home town
You can drink your fancy ales
You can drink em by the flagon
But the only brew for the brave and true...
Comes form the green dragon.

They're definitely two of my favorite characters.

P.S. Ophelia, those drawings are far better than anything I could do, so quit being so darn hard on yourself >.<
Iris Dove
Wanderer

Words: 77849
Joined roleplay: November 2nd, 2010, 5:38 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ophelia on March 1st, 2011, 12:35 am

ImageHAPPY BIRTHDAY ARAGORN!

Dearest Aragorn,

I love you. You are hot. I wish you were real. And Arwen wasn't. Marry me nao, kthxbai.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Lots of love, your future wife,

Nicky

PS: Sucks you had to die on your birthday.

1st March
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Ophelia on March 1st, 2011, 11:08 am

It speaks for itself...
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Ophelia on March 20th, 2011, 12:31 pm

GOALS
So, I was just chilling in Chat like a cool kid when Jilibaby logged on. Yay, I love Jilibaby! Except when she goes on her Priskil rants, grumble grumble, as she did in Chat tonight. (Just kidding, Jili, I lovelz you <3) But she makes me feel bad! Jili has this destiny and I just realised I have no idea what I want half of my PCs to do. So, here's a list! Please, comment and help me think about it. Criticism/discussion is always helpful.
Edalene
  • Finish Strider thread with Sammich
  • Finished getting kissed by Kayiri
  • Get windmarks
  • Travel, see the world, maybe go to Riverfall
  • Get married like a good Drykas girl
  • Be extraordinary by being as ordinary as she can
Sulavik
  • Kill his daddy in Riverfall
  • Reach Expert in Lakan
  • Become a prostitute/get out of prostitution
  • Get married/have babies with Daeva
Sade
  • Find out more about Tyveth
  • Get out of Wind Reach
  • Travel to find out about this Tyveth bloke
  • Gain Truthism
  • Find the Ultimate Truth in the world (It's a long story...)
Secret PC
  • Get married to Aragorn
  • Conceal from everyone who this PC is

Thoughts, feelings, criticism?
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Office
Scrapbook

Next