Gnosis Peer Review (Oceanus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Anshun Tulish on March 9th, 2011, 2:02 am

Oceanus
Category: Gnosis
Granted By: Laviku
Positive Marks: Control of the Oceans tides and waves.
Negative Marks: Ocean storms and drowning more likely
Pos. Mark Appearance: A swirling, dark blue pattern
Neg. Mark Appearance: A swirling, black and red pattern
Mark Location: Small of the back, and occasionally higher up.
Recieves First Mark: During an oceanic crisis in which you have shown courage
Oceanus is a gnosis granted by Laviku to those truly in touch with the ocean, often Konti or Charoda, but humans and other races may be able to earn it.

Section 1

Oceanus is a gnosis given by the god of the sea, Laviku, and is often given in times of great crisis. Once marked, it is not uncommon for a person to be naturally drawn to the ocean, or to adjust their sleeping schedule to sync with the tides. It is also common for a person to gain several marks in quick succession, but only if they show themselves to be a true ally to Laviku and his kin.

Assisting Skills
The ability to swim, or at least the ability to use a boat is crucial to gaining your first mark. The ability to breathe underwater, either through magical, chemical, or biological means is useful, but not needed.

Mark Progression

Marked [Cursed] - 1 Gnosis Mark
The user can always tell the best time to go swimming, or launch a boat, and gains a deep and total knowledge of tides, currents and where they are. Without seeing or feeling it, a marked person will know what direction the tide is going, as well as if there are any riptides. The user will also be able to create a light current.

This person is now annoying to have near the ocean. If on a boat, small things break, fall apart, or stop working. They find it difficult to swim, and develop a minor case of Hydrophobia.
Favored [Despised] - 2 Gnosis Marks
Not only does the user retain the knowledge of the level before this, they gain the ability to influence small tides, such as riptides, and create a riptide as well. They can also create swells and medium sized waves. They can also communicate with sea life to a small degree. Almost impossible to drown in the ocean.

The despised is in constant danger of drowning when near the ocean. If on a boat, it is extremely likely at least one large storm will occur on the trip. The ship will likely sprout leaks, get ripped sails, and a multitude of other things. The despised also attracts the anger of sea life, and fish will nip at them, and even attack them.
Priest/Priestess [Adversary] - 3 Gnosis Marks
The user of the mark can now summon huge waves and swells, and can also create a medium sized ocean storm. They can control and create all but the hugest currents and can control and communicate with animal life as easily as if they were talking to a person. Almost impossible to drown in the ocean.

The adversary of Laviku had better live very far inland. If they (stupidly) board a boat, it will have the worst wind during the entire trip, and at least 3 large storms will likely occur on the trip. Sharks and stingrays, as well as eels and octopi will likely circle the ship the entire voyage, waiting for the adversary to fall overboard. Riptides are incredibly common near this person, and they find it near impossible to swim for more than a few seconds.
Champion [Nemesis] - 4 Gnosis Marks
The Champion of Laviku would truly be master of the tides. Able to summon huge waves and swells, create gigantic storms and maelstroms, and riptides strong enough to drag an elephant into the depths. Can control and communicate with all manner of ocean life. Cannot drown in the ocean.

Laviku has never needed to grant a 4th negative gnosis mark, as all his adversaries died long before they could offend the god a fourth time.

Any suggestions?
Anshun Tulish
The Devoted Charoda

Words: 8503
Joined roleplay: March 6th, 2011, 3:23 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Solomon on March 9th, 2011, 2:18 am

I would request that you read this. It details the process for submitting an Article for Peer Review, and one of those steps requires you to post to the Help Desk for permission to develop a certain concept.

I don't see a link to the Help Desk thread that you got permission from, so I am locking down this thread.

The Wiki for the God himself isn't actually completed, so you would have to get permission from a Founder to develop that first. <3333

Not to be a meanie, or anything! I just wanted to let you know! Go to the Help Desk and petition to them if you want to develop this further. Usually it is only the Founders who develop the God/dess's and Gnosis Marks...

But you can try!
Solomon
Wise beyond his years

Words: 9399
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2010, 9:14 am
Race: Staff account

Postby Jilitse on March 9th, 2011, 2:20 am

Hello Anshun Tulis,

I see you're new to Mizahar, welcome! Kindly check the rules for submitting lore articles for World Development (they're pinned in this forums) - all articles needs to be pre-approved first. I would also like to politely refer you to this post: http://www.mizahar.com/forums/post37388.html. Oceanus, along with all other Gnosis, are usually Founder pet-projects. This one is under Gossamer's development list.

We always love when people volunteer to write lore articles! But you have to make sure that you're not stepping over someone who is already working on the project. Also, please, kindly check the rules first. If unsure, talk to any storyteller (members of the staff), or members. We're always glad to help. :) I hope this doesn't dampen your enthusiasm for Mizahar!

Jil
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)