Combat an relevant equipment

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Thorne on March 11th, 2011, 6:32 am

Dear all,
I was rather wondering how combat, should it occur, works?

Also, I am a little unsure about the parameters of the related equipment. For example, my character currently has a war axe. This is more expensive than the battle axe, but I'm not certain what the difference would be.

The same question applies to armour, and to his shield (which I rather suspect he has no sodding idea how to use).

I would love some help understanding how to utilise these items in my writing, as I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Thorne needs to rely on them, and I do not wish them to be any more, or any less, effective than they ought to be.

Yours faithfully,

Tom.
Thorne
Player

Words: 6041
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2011, 3:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Kelpie on March 13th, 2011, 2:17 am

I think, personally, you might be over thinking this issue. If you're talking about pvp combat there is a dedicated wiki page on it. As for combat against NPCs or solo threads you just have to deem what is realistic and what isn't in terms of your character. If you have a weapon use it. If you detailed that the weapon was weak, have it chip at the collision with a sword or another axe, or at the end of a hard battle say the handle broke off.

As for your PC not knowing how to use a shield, I'd suggest writing practice threads where your character goes through trials and error using it or seeks a trainer in using the shield.

It really should be common sense, not over-analyzed.
Kelpie
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Words: 144278
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2010, 1:27 am
Location: DS of Lhavit, Mod abilities in Lhavit and Unforgiving
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Thorne on March 13th, 2011, 8:54 am

I see. I had a good read through the section you mentioned, and reckon that, in conjunction with the other points you made, I've got a pretty good idea how to carry on with this; thankyou.
Thorne
Player

Words: 6041
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2011, 3:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet