Everything Starts With a Meeting (Vala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Feyra on March 8th, 2011, 5:16 pm

From the corner of her eye, Feyra watched the young Chiet when she began gathering the beads. A little smile appeared on her mouth, she had spotted Vala's tongue poking out when she concentrated. She also noticed that the girl seemed to reach for the plainest beads, and she recalled how she herself had done exactly the same thing when she had first started studying under a glassworker. When the girls hand reached up, the Avora turned her head to see what she was doing, and paused to watch the light glitter off a bead that was being held there.

When she caught Vala doing a victory fist-pump, a chuckle slipped past her lips. She glanced at the neatly wrapped bundle of beads.
"Good work." She paused and looked at her own. "You know, I reckon that's neater than mine." She laughed again and then placed both bundles into her bag before selecting some new fabric and continuing.

They hadn't been working for too long when Vala began to speak. She listened to the first two questions and nodded, opening her mouth to answer. Though it was quickly closed again when the Chiet plowed on with more questions. Feyra's brow raised slightly as she tried to slow the questions down in her mind to be able to form logical answers.

"Well...glass beads were one of the first things I learned to make. I actually requested to be taught them as soon as I became an apprentice. So I would have been..." She paused to count off the years. "I would have just turned thirteen if I remember correctly." She recalled the next question. "I can make vases yes, and also plates, though I don't do it very often. I usually make smaller things, like glasses and toys. Perhaps I should start to make vases again though..." The Avora trailed off, lost in thought for a moment before continuing to answer questions. "Uh, as for when I wanted to be a glassblower... I don't remember a time when it hasn't been my aspiration." She smiled as she recalled a memory. "I used to make beads out of paper when I was very young. And I thoroughly enjoy it, though it is hard work." She looked at the girl and smiled, hoping that she had remembered all the questions.

"What about you? Is glassblowing something that you are interested in?" She had been folding another set of beads up as she spoke, and she bent to place this one into the bag with the others.

OOC :
Ah good, glad they were clear. And nope, I'm just a regular art student (: Though that could help a little, as my class often helps in galleries and some of the glass they sometimes have comes wrapped up in specific ways. But in any case, being a bead maker would actually be awesome.
Feyra
Player

Words: 19482
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2011, 4:35 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vala on March 9th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Beads out of paper? The idea sounded foreign and a little far fetched to Vala; she was curious though as to how someone could make something like a bead out of such a stiff and not quite malleable medium. She would ask about that maybe after they had finished packing up.

13... four years older than when Vala had been first taken in as an apprentice. it had taken her more than a few months, but she had finally managed to stop hating, not quite forgive, but stop cursing her master, who had gotten himself killed for his honor, leaving vala without a livelihood - to wallow as a Chiet.

Wind Reach always needed more plates, vases, and cups, while beads and toys were usually reserved for the Endals, Avora, and privileged Yasi. It was rare to find someone who specialized in a craft dedicated to creating beauty without a utilitarian motive. Vala was unsure what she thought about such a life. All her life she had been drilled, like a proper Inartan citizen, the importance in being useful - of supporting the city. Beauty in her creations was meant to be a by product to the higher purpose of supporting life in Wind Reach. Thoughts of reassessing her purpose as an ‘artist’ began to worm into Vala’s mind.

Fingers moving deftly and delicately, Vala continued to work meticulously as she talked, keeping her eyes down at the beads. “My dream is to become a master glassblower. I even have a decent amount of training... but I lost my chance to become an Avor when my master died a few years ago.” Her voice faltered; Vala refrained from mentioning, Raku, her old master’s name. Ever since he had been accused of making shoddy glass works - cheating his customers and the city, especially with the rumor about him selling Wind Reach glassblowing techniques to outsiders, few Avora admitted to ever associating with the shamed man and his forgotten apprentice. “I’ve never really practiced making beads before, but if you ever need an assistant I would love to help you when I’m not working at the Enclave.” Vala stopped to look up at Feyra hopefully.

OOC :
Just a few questions...
1. How much longer are they wrapping?
2. How many beads are left to wrap.
3. How do you want this thread to end or we just winging it until it starts to wind down?

Also I have yet to design/write my flashback with Raku and all the nitty gritty of how Vala is dropped into Chiet-hood, so you can basically make up anything you want about him. Feyra can even be completely oblivious to Raku’s debacle
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Feyra on March 9th, 2011, 8:48 pm

During the relatively short silence between her question and Vala's answer the Avora let her mind wander a little. She resolved to start creating plates again, vases and cups too. Her beads were pretty, and they certainly earned her keep, but they were just that. Pretty things. She did make a few larger pieces every now and again, mostly commissioned for special events when all the glassworkers of Wind Reach had to pitch in to meet the workload. Her vases were still shaky, but she was getting rather good at plates.

She wrapped her final bundle of beads and deftly tied the string. She waited till Vala had tied her last cloth too, then placed both in her bag. The table was empty now, save for the one bead that the Chiet had admired earlier, which Feyra now picked up. She turned to look at the girl as she spoke, nodding slowly. A few years ago... Feyra searched her mind for a glassworker that fitted what Vala was saying, and the only one she could come up with was named Raku. A tiny frown creased her brow, she knew there was something else she should remember, but she could not recall it.
She gave the girl a wide smile.
"I'd love to show you how to make beads. It can be a bit fiddly, but if you have experience like you said, then you shouldn't have too much trouble." She only mentioned beads to the girl, she didn't think that she would be comfortable trying to teach her vases and plates when she was only just starting creating passable ones herself.
She held out her hand to reveal a bead sitting in her palm - the one that she had promised Vala could have for helping. She offered it to the Chiet.
"Here, like I promised."

OOC :
Beads are all wrapped now, so that's that bit done (:
It is entirely up to you if we end it now or not. If you wish it to end then you can make your post the final one. Though if there is any skill or lore that you want Vala to learn, we might be able to fit it in. All skill points are good skill points after all (:
I've put it so that she knows of him being a glassworker herself, but seeing as he wasn't her mentor, she didn't know him. So basically, she knows of his demise, but that is all.
Feyra
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vala on March 10th, 2011, 4:34 am

The simple glass bead with black swirls floating within glittered like a perfect diamond. Vala reached out, hesitantly at first, then with great vigor. She had pulled off her leather gloves to work, and her fingers brushed lightly against Feyra’s. She flinched, but tried to keep steady as not to drop her new treasure. She looked around warily, her paranoia acting up as she made sure no one would take her gift away. With the coast clear and the market traffic dying down as the sun began its downward path, Vala felt free to enjoy her bead in peace. “Thank you so much!” She squeaked out to Feyra “I love it so much. Hold on, I’ll wear it right now!” Vala pulled out a good lock of hair and began to braid deftly. When she reached the end she threaded her hair through the bead and tied it all off with a leather thong. Her eyes glistened, moist from joy.

She turned her head down to the ground, hiding her face from Feyra as she wiped away the dampness with the back of her hand. Vala was cruel, callous, and conceited, but she was still an innocent at heart: her heart squeezed, almost painfully, as she began to feel... a warmth and a calming pulse.

Vala stuttered, a chance had finally arrived and it was a little overwhelming to the young pessimist. “I would love to help you whenever...” she sniffed, “...you need me." She cleared her throat, trying not to tear up anymore.

OOC :
I think you should have the ending post. Feyra can leave with her stuff (unless she needs help carrying it all home). And we can start a new post where Feyra actually teaches Vala how to make beads. Feyra can even tell Vala to meet her at the craft gallery at a specific day or something. I feel like if we go straight to them working this day, it would be a little awkward. Unless... do you want to continue this thread but on a different day?

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Feyra on March 10th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Yet another smile graced Feyra's mouth when the Chiet reached out for the bead. She could sense a hesitation though, and she wondered why. She had promised the bead to Vala, it wasn't like she was going to close her hand again and pocket it. Though when the bead was finally taken, Feyra oblivious to the way the girl flinched when their hands touched, she lowered her arm and nodded slightly.
"You're more than welcome Vala!" She clasped her hands in front of her for a moment as she watched the girl separate a lock of crimson hair, then deftly braid the bead into it. It glittered in the afternoon light. The bead, though relatively simple, complimented the Chiets colouring, almost reflecting the slight glitter in the girl's eyes.

When Vala turned away, the Avora reached down for her bag, lifting and placing it on the tabletop.
"Well I'm not going to be doing anything creative tomorrow, since I have to sort everything out from today, but I will probably head over the day after that to replace the beads I sold here." She paused. "So, if you want to help out, providing you have no other work, you can meet me at the gallery on the morning of the 6th Day." She smiled again before shouldering the bag and moving round to the front of the table.
"If you can't make it then, don't worry, I'll come and find you for another time." She gave a little wave. "I'll be seeing you then!" The Avora then proceeded to head out, back towards her home. It would be nice to have someone to work with, she actually hoped that Vala would be free on the day of the sixth. She would just have to wait and find out.

OOC :
Tied up the thread for us (:
I'll set up a new thread for the work maybe later today or tomorrow, since it's not on the same day, and I'll submit this one in for grading asap. And I shall message you when the new one is up. Thanks for threading, it's been really nice - Vala is such an interesting character, I'd like for Fey to get to know her more if you're up for that (:
Feyra
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vala on March 13th, 2011, 5:12 am

Vala's New Bead :
This was the closest I could find that I wanted Vala's bead to look like. It's hand made too.

Just imagine the swirly lines to be black - darker than the pic. Also the hole would be bigger and the entire bead would be around the size of a quarter in diameter, probably bigger.

I can't wait for Vala and Feyra to start making beads together!

Last edited by Vala on June 25th, 2011, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Dreamcatcher on March 13th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Character: Feyra

Experience: +5 Socializing, +1 Haggling
Lore: Finding a Chiet to help out, Remembering People
Equipment: -1 Glass Bead

Character:Vala

Experience: +5 Socializing, +1 Haggling
Lore: Remembering People, Bead Packing
Equipment: +1 Glass Bead

Additional Note: If you feel that I missed something please PM me with the details on what I missed and I will review it.
Dreamcatcher
Retired Staff

Words: 120506
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2010, 4:27 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous