The Drykas, Endrykas and the Sea of Grass

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

The Drykas, Endrykas and the Sea of Grass

Postby Strider on January 12th, 2010, 12:13 am

*Note: None of this has been run past Hex, anything that differs from the Drykas lore has been created from my mind, according to the information provided. Further ideas, and [constructive] criticism is totally welcome.

Endrykas: Endrykas is constantly on the move, and is constantly changing. Members of all the seven clans are represented here, but their numbers differ. Endrykas can sport one thousand individuals, or swell to almost ten thousand.

When the Ankals come together for a meeting, known as a “Stalkmeet,” they usually meet at the approximate center of Endrykas, and often in the open. Such meetings often take hours, and there is much arguing. There is always a result, however, and the Ankals have completed their Stalkmeet before Endrykas continues the Run.

The Run: Historically, the Run began in the south, near the Stardowns, and the Eyktol border, and followed a counter-clockwise rotation based on the season, and the grass. The Run started with winter, and thus begins in the warmer south. As the seasons change, Endrykas moves to the east, and north, ending near the coast during Spring. From there, Endrykas rotates to the north, nearing the Syliran border. As Fall nears, the city draws close to the border with Riverfall. Finally, as Winter falls, the Drykas return to the Stardowns.

The Stardowns: As the Valterrian raged, the Drykas hid underground. Two generations passed, as the proud people hid beneath the ground with their livelihood, horses. As the third generation came, a small group of Drykas came to the exits to the surface. Before them stretched a vast sea of grass, bathed in the light of the moon. Etched into the night sky a hail of meteors fell, trailing tails of red and orange. The expeditionary force rushed to the main group, bearing the news.

Within a fortnight, the entirety of the Drykas people returned to the surface, with their seven guides. Though it took the Drykas many days, they found the fallen meteors four score miles north of a vast desert to their south. Seven meteors the size of a man had dug deep craters. The Drykas took the meteors as a sign from their deities, and built their lives around it.

Seven: The Drykas have a strong bond with the number seven. The Drykas have seven clans, and the Ankals of the seven most powerful pavilions represent each clan. (Power among the Drykas is not represented by mizas, or gems, but by the size of the family, and how many skilled members are present, as well as the size and health of the herd. A family with many skilled members, and a large, healthy herd, has more value than a small family of average members, and a small herd.) Each pavilion (The actually tents) has a total of seven sides, including the entrance flap.

The Clans: The Drykas have divided themselves into seven clans, each named after a gem stone commonly found in Cyphrus. Each clan also boasts of certain strengths that make the Drykas stronger as a whole.

Topaz: Represented by a golden gem of little value elsewhere, member of the Topaz clan often sport various shades of gold and yellow. The Topaz clan is known amongst the Drykas for horsemen who never lose their seat.

Diamond: Though immense in value elsewhere, a diamond to the Drykas is a pretty stone. Diamond clan members wear a variety of whites. The Drykas look to their warriors in times of need, for Diamond clan men and women are often skilled in the arts martial.

Amethyst: Amethysts of remarkable clarity can be found in Cyphrus, and the Amethyst clan borrows the gem’s color. Members of the clan prefer to wear various shades of purple amongst their normal clothing. The horses of the Amethyst clan are renowned for their size, strength and speed.

Ruby: Children can be found playing with stones of the deepest red larger than their fists. Ruby clan members mix reds into their clothing. The men and women of the Ruby clan are often skilled crafters. They spin and weave clothing, build wagons, among other things. Many of the Drykas’s trademark pavilions are built by the Ruby clan.

Opal: Opals come in a variety of colors, from white to black, and every color in between. The Opal clan sports the pearly white of the most common of the gems. When a member of any clan seeks healing, members of the Opal clan are the first to be sought. Opal clan members pride themselves on their knowledge of grassland herbs, as well as their healing abilities. Several honorary members of the Opal clan are healers of the Opal Order, and have been added to the Web.

Sapphire: Sapphires large and small can be found in Cyphrus, and are often of unparalleled clarity. Members of the Sapphire clan often tie blue cloth around their heads, and their jewelry often holds several of the gems in question. The Ankals are well-known for their skill as Webbers, in fact, much of the Web laid down by the Drykas is thanks to the Sapphire clan.

Emerald: Emeralds the size of a man’s fist can be found in Cyphrus, though the smaller ones possess the most clarity. Emerald clan members sport various greens in their clothing and jewelry. Among the Drykas, the Emerald clan boasts of the best hunters. Emerald clan hunters often support Endrykas with the game they hunt. Their hunting dogs and cats are among the best.

*Note: Just because one clan is known for one area, it does not mean that other clans cannot have members skilled in the same area. For example, a member of the Opal clan could easily be a skilled hunter.

Map of Cyphrus: This is a very rough idea of what I imagine Cyphrus to be.

*Note: The cities Claridon and Kenash have little to no known affiliation with the Drykas or Riverfall. Both are, as of this point in time, undeveloped.
Strider
Ankal of the Drykas

Words: 4804
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2010, 8:53 pm
Race: Staff account

Re: The Drykas, Endrykas and the Sea of Grass

Postby Gossamer on January 12th, 2010, 12:38 am

Wow... I get a creepy feeling it was
no accident, Strider, that you crossed
paths with Mizahar and decided to
stay and jump in with head first.

Thanks for the work your starting.
I know this is only day one but really
good work. I will post some brainstorming
later tonight when I am not on my
phone.

Amazing start.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Strider on January 12th, 2010, 12:42 am

Thank you, Gossamer, for both reading the post on a tiny phone screen, and replying. I can't wait to see your ideas, and I can't wait to get together with Hex on this.
Strider
Ankal of the Drykas

Words: 4804
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Postby Hex on January 12th, 2010, 2:43 am

I'm seriously so excited to have someone who has experience working on this with me. He has already helped me organize my thoughts and I have even more tools and a soundboard to go over my imagination stuff with :)
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Words: 169721
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2009, 4:57 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 15th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Okay, I love what you have, Strider... all except the part about Stardowns. There should be a great way to tie the number seven to the Drykas people - my initial thoughts were that Serifal Drykas, Rakivas's rider, had seven sons and from those sons grew the seven clans. They obviously took their names from the gems they found in their territory. Your ideas on the clans are great. And I wouldn't mind adding them to the Drykas writeup to flesh it out even more.

Anyhow, I added a wiki entry on Stardowns to help you guys.

Anyhow, I wanted to add a big reminder here. Your Domain is Endrykas... the city that freely floats around Cyphrus. Regional development of Cyphrus is fine in the name of fleshing out Endrykas, but your primary focus should be on this city and what is included in the city. How is the city ran? How is it organized? Who is allowed to find it? How do they find it? Endrykas needs tons of work, and there's a whole wiki article that needs to be written. (I can't talk much about that... I need to work on Syliras' article fairly badly and add a city map to the game really quickly.) The ideas about Endrykas should be flowing hot and heavy, and development should be focused primarily on it. Even though this is in essence a tent city, its still a very prominent feature in Cyphrus.

Any locations developed for Cyphrus should be ran by the World Development forum because Cyphrus is a region and its a regional storyteller's job if someone takes over the duties there. Otherwise, development and management should be shared equally between the DS's of Endrykas, Riverfall, Claridon, and Kenash. Everyone who manages a city or other domain in Cyphrus has mod privileges in The Sea of Grass. I know the Riverfall DS before he was retired ran a lot of quests for Akalak coming of age there. Those cities don't have DS's at this current time, but someone could volunteer at almost any time to jump in.

So, seriously consider your domain. Think about it as a 'fixed location' and develop it that way keeping in mind its a 'fixed location' that moves... and you should be off and running.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)