New magic skill, Warding Interest?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Ishamael on March 20th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Hello to all,

As a player in this fantastic world I have ideas, some good some bad, and I often find by reading that others have had them too. However, I have had this idea in my head for a magic skill, and was wondering if people would be interested before i went super deep into it.

The basic concept of warding is that a mage/skilled person would be able to take their Djed and set a "ward" or defensive area around say material or possesions they want kept especially safe. In lower levels the skill is simple, the user concentrates and creates an area that if disturbed destroys the sensitive material and kills/maims/injures/paralyzis the intruder.

I prefer Djed over res because i think infusing res to make the trap more elequent would come with later levels. Also, since a part of the person is left behind they will know when the trap is sprung, and also that the trap won't spring on them when they return. The skill of course has battle implications for ambushes, choke points, and other means, and high level users could potentially use it offensivley after a fashion.

The initial use would be a vacuum like effect for the small area it is used on, beginners can only use a small area. With training areas are expanded, mutiples can be placed, other magics integrated, and friendlies and enemies can be more specifically identified instead of creator others.

Like I said i have some more material available but this post is to see if there is interest. Please respond with thoughts and comments.

thanks
Ishamael
Victory w/out Danger is Triumph w/out Glory

Words: 19328
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2011, 8:35 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Solomon on March 20th, 2011, 11:04 pm

I think the same effect could be managed by Shielding?

And if you haven't, I would check out this thread. It details what you should do when you want to try getting a certain kind of magic, monster, skill, etc... added to the Wiki. <3! Just for future reference! <333!
Solomon
Wise beyond his years

Words: 9399
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2010, 9:14 am
Race: Staff account

Postby Ishamael on March 22nd, 2011, 2:35 am

Thanks, i read that but was unsure where mine would apply, since i wanted to know if there was interest. Shielding isnt perfectly what I had in mind but it is similar enough that i couldn't manage to make my idea a stand alone piece of magic. Thanks for the links
Ishamael
Victory w/out Danger is Triumph w/out Glory

Words: 19328
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2011, 8:35 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Siiri on March 22nd, 2011, 5:22 am

Your idea is basically what happens when you apply other magic skills into Glyphing.

Want someone burned for touching your diary? Set up a sigil with a fire reimancy spell. Want to make a door that eats people up? Draw a rune on the door knob and use Voiding to create a black hole. Want someone's head to explode if they utter your name again? Sigil on the forehead to unleash lightning in his brain.

Where am I going with this? While most magic skills are powerful on their own, they're made even more potent when combined together.

Don't be afraid to think up of other unique ideas though. :)
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 22nd, 2011, 7:59 am

As described, this is exactly what Shielding is right down to the Shielder knowing what shields have been triggered since part of their essence goes into the shield. Shielding, as Siiri so neatly pointed out, can be combined with other things to cause numerous effects. Glyphing works too, but its better to combine say reimancy with Shielding to fry invaders with fireballs for trapping doors etc.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)