Spear [Flashback][CLOSED]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Nivex on January 26th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Spear [Flashback]

Winter 505 AV, Age 17

It started off as a fight with the parents.

That's how Nivex ended up outside in the snow. Not just outside of her ex-home, but outside of Avanthal itself. She never could get along with her parents, but this time it took a turn for the worse. She should have seen this coming, after all. They fought all the time, mostly about where Nivex would go in her life. When they found out she didn't want to do what they wanted, they were ticked. When they found out she wanted to carve, they were furious. When they found out she was sneaking in a whole other hold to learn how to hunt, they pretty much disowned her.

It was a little confusing to Nivex. Vantha culture shows that it's perfectly alright to hunt and to carve. Yet to her parents, the peace-loving dimwits, it was as sin as killing a whole mansion of orphans. They never actually kicked her out. Instead, Nivex (who was more of a hot head than anyone in that family), stormed out. She was determined to never come back. This time, Nivex would do what she wanted. This time, she would control her life.

Nivex looked at the colorful sky. It was still day, and she traveled pretty far. If she were to live, she needed to do the one thing that got her to leave that house. She needed to hunt. Nivex turned into the woods, and quickly found a sturdy stick. Then, she picked up a medium sized rock, and sat down beside a boulder in the ground. Nivex didn't have any weapons, but if she was going to survive, she needed to contrive a weapon. The Vantha slammed the medium rock into the boulder hard. Pieces chipped off, but not enough. Nivex slammed it down again at a angle, and one more time for comfort. When she touched the broken edges, she made the assumption that she needed to do it one more time, and slammed the rock down.

Sharp enough, she decided. Nivex grabbed the sturdy stick, and began to craft the weapon. The took the sharp rock, and slid it's edge against the tip of the stick. She did it quickly, carefully, and repeatedly. She would do this a couple of times, for about ten minutes, just chipping away the edge until it became not perfect, but a rather sharp point. Nivex touched the point with her finger tipped, sighed, and stood up.

Now to find some food.
Last edited by Nivex on January 30th, 2011, 8:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nivex
Not cool.

Words: 26519
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Spear [Flashback, Open]

Postby Nivex on January 26th, 2011, 10:28 pm

It took the girl nearly an hour to even find anything to hunt. She tip-toed around the forest, seeking with her spear close, but she just couldn't get any luck. It wasn't until she heard rattling in the leaves nearby did she finally gain hope. Quietly, Nivex creeped over and hid by a tree. She saw a lone, rather large boar eating berries from a tree, not bothering a single soul. It snorted so much it was a wonder how Nivex didn't hear it before, and it was eating the berry bushes faster than a starving bum.

Alright now, girl, Nivex prompt herself. You've got this. If the people in Frostfawn can kill a pig, then why can't you?"

Nivex tightened her grip on the sharp spear. As slowly as she could, the girl strolled quietly towards the boar. When she got close enough, Nivex launched the wooden spear with all her strength.

And it bounced off the boar's back.

For a moment, it seemed like the boar simply looked at Nivex like she was an idiot. Nivex was frozen, a little embarrassed, and a lot scared. Mostly embarrassed though. The boar roared and began to charge.

"EEK!" Nivex screamed, turning around quickly and running as fast as she could to get away. It was clear the boar was faster than her, but she couldn't think of that then. She took a sharp turn to shake the boar off her trail, but he kept coming.

He's getting slower though!

That's what she needed, too, because she wasn't sure how long she could keep running in the forest conditions. It was the only plan she had, anyway. She turned again, jumping over rocks and stomping on twigs. She jumped over a log, hoping he would hit it and get knocked out, but when he hit it the log simply broke into pieces.

"Damn!" Nivex yelled, and turned again. She would twist her trail up many times, until she found what could save her. It was a large tree that fell down. It would be trouble jumping over it, but if she gained enough speed she could catch a foot on the trunk and jump. It was a long shot, but if she didn't try, she'd be Vantha waste.

Nivex picked up her pace dramatically, with the boar close behond her. As she reached the fallen trunk, Nivex lifted her foot up onto it and lifted herself up with all her might and jumped over the trunk just as planned. When she hit the ground on the other side, Nivex rolled. She coughed horribly, having the wind getting knocked out of her. Not a second later, the boar rammed itself into the trunk. The trunk seemed like it was going to roll, and Nivex panicked. Instead, the boar howled in pain, slowly moving back. The trunk moved back slightly with it. Nivex peeked over the trunk, and saw that the boar had retreated.

"Thank the gods!" She announced, and collapsed on the ground. She was extremely tired. More importantly, she still had no food.
Nivex
Not cool.

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Spear [Flashback, Open]

Postby Nivex on January 28th, 2011, 3:40 am

The only thing Nivex had that night was a large scarf for warmth and a pitifully made fire. The fire was small, and even that took a while to make. The embarrassment of the situation was almost too much for the girl. She felt like running back to her home. At least there she had food and comfort.

ImageNo. I’m not going back there. I wanted to be on my own. Now is my chance.

Nivex was completely determined. She got up from her spot with her failed spear in her hand. The girl looked around the area for a bit until she found a sharp rock on the ground. It wasn’t sharp enough to stab something, but it was still useful. She went back to her fire and placed everything in front of her, including her scarf. Nivex started by taking out the sharp rock from earlier she used to make the spear in the first place. With the new rock, Nivex hit the two together at an angle repeatedly. Sometimes she would rub them together, sometimes she would slam them together, trying to get more of the pieces of the first rock off. For an hour, she shaped the first rock until it became a sloppy looking, but very sharp arrowhead. Nivex put the arrowhead aside but kept the other rock in hand for a tool. She picked up the wooden spear, and used the rock to split the end of the spear in half. The girl was smart enough to keep the other end sharp, just in case her plan failed.

The next thing to do was tie the arrowhead to the stick. This is where her precious scarf came in handy. It tore Nivex a little inside when she heard her scarf split by her hands. Granted, she only tore a long thin strip of it off, but it still hurt. Nivex placed the arrowhead inside of the split in the wooden stick. With the long strip, she tied a knot on the stick holding the arrowhead, and tightly wrapped it around until it got to the end. Then she tied another knot.

She was unsure how tight it needed to be, but then that was all she could do. Nivex got up from her place, her bottom numb from sitting down so long. With the newly-improved spear in hand, she was ready to test it out. Nivex got into a stance, that if she saw herself she’d shake her head in shame. She lifted her left arm in front of her, and her right arm with the spear behind her, ready to fly. She breathed in, and with all her strength, launched the spear towards the tree.

The spear hit and stuck…barely. Nivex strolled over, looking at her work. She sighed while she picked her spear off the tree. It stuck, but it wasn't a success.

Nivex’s mind raced with stress as she lied down by the fire with the spear close. She needed this to work, or she’d die. Tomorrow, the real test would begin.
Nivex
Not cool.

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Spear [Flashback]

Postby Nivex on January 30th, 2011, 7:16 pm

The sleeping young Vantha woke up to a cold breeze and a tingle hitting her face. She slightly hit her cheek. Damn bugs. Nivex got up from her sleeping spot, grabbing her newly made spear along with her. She barely tossed it up, felling the weight of it hit her hand. That day, she planned on hunting once more. If she failed again, then she would be crying at her parent's door once again. There was no way she was going to let that happen.

It was a perfect time to hunt. The sky was musky and Nivex was starving. Maybe it wasn't the best situation, but at least it gave her more motivation. As she walked around the snowy woods, Nivex kept a clear eye out for anything she could catch. If it was small, great. Big, well, she'd try. For an hour Nivex quietly paced around the woods, letting her ears help her as much as her eyes. It would be her ears to find her target. she crept behind a tree, just like before. On the other side was a much smaller boar from before.

Perfect, Nivex mentally smile while she crept closer. Sorry, buddy. This isn't your day.

It was almost like a repeat. Nivex launched her arrowhead-spear at the unsuspecting creature. And just as before, she was embarrassed.

The arrowhead fell off.

"Are you serious?!"

Adding more to Nivex's anger, the boar ran off from the commotion.

"Oh no you don't!"

Quickly, Nivex ran and swiped the spear along the way. She was running faster than before. There was just no way she was letting this one go! The boar was fast, and if Nivex wanted dinner, she had to be faster. She ran like an agile, jumping over logs and shifting angles to catch up with the boar. Her legs started to ache horribly, but the boar was getting slower, too. Still, she didn’t know how much longer she could keep this up. She needed to do something fast, and she was already burning all the energy she needed to keep alive.
The boar still ran, as did Nivex. The Vantha, while still sprinting, quickly reached down and grabbed a large stone off the ground. She picked up her pace once more, getting closer to the escaping beast. When she got close enough, Nivex chucked the stone at the boar. It collided with the boars skull, stalling it for a moment. But that moment was all Nivex needed, for the boar became much slower in the short time. Quickly seeing her chance, she ran even faster than before, and jumped on it’s back. The boar was startled, collapsing on the Vantha’s weight. It began to try to shake Nivex off, and she nearly lost control. She stayed on, however, and raised her spear. With one powerful motion, Nivex slammed the spear down in the head of the beast. The beast roared in pain. Nivex forced the spear out, and again pierced it’s skull. She did it one more time before the boar, weakened with so much blood loss, laid still.

Nivex raised up to look at what she had done. It was an awful feeling, looking at something as it slowly dies. The boar kicked it’s feet a few times, each time a bit slower, and became still.

Nivex choked up.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.
Nivex
Not cool.

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Spear [Flashback]

Postby Nivex on January 30th, 2011, 8:14 pm

That night, the fire was still pitiful and Nivex was still cold. The only thing good at this point was that she had done something she never could do before. She killed a boar. Yes, it wasn’t the largest thing in the world, but it would keep her full for a day or two. As the boar laid lifeless on the ground in front of her, Nivex had to figure out a way to gut into the thing. The only thing she could come up with was the spear. Unfortunately, the spear had been broken during the fight. She didn’t think it would last going through a skull. It was surprising it got that far.

Nivex sighed. There was no way around this. If she went back home to steal a knife, her parents would catch her. Not to mention, if she left the meat, it would go bad. Sure, the snow would keep it stored for a little bit, but not long enough.

Don’t even get me started about the vultures around here.

“Well, that’s it…” Nivex sulked to herself. “I guess I have to go home.”

“You’re not giving up, are you?” A familiar voice rang out. Nivex almost had a heart attack when she heard it. She turned around, much to her surprise, finding her father of all people standing right there in the woods with her.

“Just like that, you’re done?”

“Father!” Nivex shot up, hysterical. “What are you doing here?”

Her father smiled and walked over to his daughter. “Your mother pleaded for me to come find you.” Then he glanced over to the deceased pig. “You hunted that all by yourself?”

Nivex blushed. “It wasn’t the easiest thing to do. I feel like passing out from it.”

Her father smiled at her. He took out a knife, which amazed Nivex. She was surprised he even carried a thing, and looked at it like it was gold. Her father sat down by the boar, and began to slice of the skin with his knife.

“What are you doing?” Nivex eyed him.

“Well, if you don’t cook him now, he’ll go to waste, wont he?”

“I know, but…I thought…”

Her father smiled. “You know, I never had a problem with you carving. Or hunting. Your mother never liked the idea. Before I met her, I use to hunt occasionally. It’s an essential to surviving. In this world, it’s necessary. You’re an adult now, Nivex. You need to know these things if you get out. I don’t expect you to stay in Avanthal forever.”

Nivex blinked at him. Then, she gave him a weak smile. He smiled back at her, then turned his attention back at the boar.
Nivex
Not cool.

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Spear [Flashback]

Postby Nivex on January 30th, 2011, 8:39 pm

OOCI hope this isn't to graphic. Disclaimer if it is! Might be graphic to some :S

“The first thing you do, “He instructed, ”Is slit the neck all the way around.” And while explaining, he did just that. “The cut from there all the way down. Help me turn this pig around.” Both of them turned the boar on it’s back. “You cut down just the same on this end.” As he did so, Nivex felt sickening in the stomach.
“Now why don’t you do the same on the sides and tear the skin off? I want you to learn this.”

Nivex eyed him with uncertainty. She took the knife from him, and pierced the boar on it’s side

“Not too deep, Nivex.”

Nivex nodded, then continued to slit the skin all the way down. It was a tough thing to do, for the skin was tougher than it looked. She picked up the knife, and did the same on the other side.

“Now take the strips of skin and tear it off.

She was uncertain again, but did as she was told. Her bloody hand grasped on of the large strips of skin and tore it all the way down. It was surprisingly easier to do that than cutting it. She did that with all four sides until the only skin left was on the head. It was a sloppy mess, but it was a learning experience, after all.

“Good, you did well, “He knelt down beside her. “Now take that knife and gut it.”

Nivex looked at him in disgust. Still, she shook her head slightly, and out the knife to it’s stomach. With a stab, the knife was in. She had to force the knife to slit to the other side of the stomach, but it got through. After deposing the organs, the chopped off some of the meat in pieces.

“Go wash yourself up, “Her father told her. “I’ll take car of the remains.”

Nivex did just that, washing herself of the blood. Her father came over, washing the bloody meat with the water, and then washed himself off. Both Vantha’s walked back over to the fire. If it was one thing Nivex knew what to do, it was cook. She wasn’t great at it, but in the house, Nivex was the one who always cooked. Her mother burnt everything, including part of the house. Nivex let the meat burn on the fire for a long time, sitting there with her father as the two talked underneath the colorful night sky. They talked about more of her fathers past, and how her mother tried to control him all his life.

“She made me stop hunting when we got married, “He explained to Nivex. “I use to carve a little, as well. You probably got that trait from me. She said all that I did was improper. I don’t know how, but because I loved her so much I stopped and became a glassblower.”

Nivex listened closely while she turned the meat. It was like she didn’t have anyone to talk to in years. He rambled on and on.

“I don’t want you to go through that. When I was younger, I wanted to travel to so many places.” He looked at Nivex. “I’m glad you’re doing what you want to. I brought something for you.”

“You didn’t have-“

But he cut her off by waving his hand. Her father took out a sharp new hunting knife with a wooden handle, and handed it to the surprised and awed Nivex.

“I was planning to give you this on your birthday,” Her father watched her as she held the knife carefully, feeling it’s weight. “I was going to tell you all this then, too. It was going to be a secret between me and you from your mother.”

The meat was cooked, and both ate like kings. They laughed and talked of good times as the stuffed their faces, both clearly hungry. After they were finished, her father got up and stretched.

“I believe it’s time for me to leave.”

Nivex got up, and she wrapped her arms around her father, who did the same.

“You be good kid. And don’t ever think you can’t come back home once in a while. I want you to be safe.”

“I will, Father. Thank you.”

Her father smiled at her. He let her go and waved goodbye as he disappeared into the woods. Nivex looked at her gift.

Tomorrow, She thought, I travel wherever.
Nivex
Not cool.

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Growl on May 1st, 2011, 3:28 pm

Appreciation Time!

Name: Nivex

Experience: Weapon Making +2, Running +2, Hunting +2, Spear +2, Tactics +1, Skinning +2
Method :
So the experience is pretty self-explanatory. You got the weapon making points for making the spear. The running for running away from the boar, the hunting for trying to kill it. The spear exp for using that weapon to kill the boar, and two skinning for ridding the creature of its skin
Lore: Taking Control, I will always be daddy's little girl, Run Away! Run Away!

Additional Notes: Please change your weaponry skill to something more specific. It's a little too broad right now.

Also, this was a cute little thread, and a great learning exp. I really liked how you described how much time passed, it made everything far more realistic.

So here's the deal: you do not yet have an heirloom, so if this hunting knife is meant to be that, add it to your CS. If not, don't add it to your CS, and let us assume you lost it over the years. In the future: you cannot acquire things from NPCs without DS permission, (unless of course you pay for them). So, if you want anything else, please apply to Cheshire. Thank you!

And sorry for the long wait on grading!
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office