[Vinnie's Scrapbook] Harmony and Dissonance

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Sabazios on February 10th, 2011, 11:30 pm

Vinnie's Scrapbook
Speak your mind - Try and be kind - And don't worry about the time

So I've decided to join the ranks of you Mizaharian Scrapbookers. I'm not too sure what will actually go in here, but I'm thinking that my notes, to-do list, and other such nonsense will be included. I hope to express my opinions here, what sort of things I'm dwelling on ect. I want all of you to feel free posting (constructive) comments on them, whether those comments are positive or negative doesn't matter. Just please, don't rage post in here :)

My only rule is that everything should be kept to a civil discourse, we are all fairly mature on the site and I see no reason to vent (in excess) on other people.

Coding :
Code: Select all
[framepic=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx01VNGuq2XKUtTYWqk4tLkQE_KiFcHtTdXjuTFBAPM4xcmIDO_g][frametrans=#BF8040,9][color=#000000][center][size=200][b][/b][/size]
[size=50][i]Speak your mind - Try and be kind - And don't worry about the time[/i][/size][/color][/center][/frametrans]

[frame=black][/frame][/framepic]

Official Edict To All Drykas Pavilions: "You Make Love, I'll Deal With The Rest"
Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Words: 36329
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sabazios on February 11th, 2011, 12:14 am

Read the Wiki

I wasn’t intending on my first scrapbook post to be a rant, but when the opportunity presented itself I figured that I might as well. I’m not sure how well I’ll write on the subject, as I’m more used to hiding my feelings then shouting them across the site. So I apologize in advance to any of you who may be reading this for the lack of quality that will likely be apparent.

Here goes nothing... I’ve been noticing a trend among players, mostly people who are relatively new (meaning 5 months or less). This trend is started and propagated inside chat, it is certainly not malicious, but is present nonetheless. But I get ahead of myself, as I should be asking a question. What were the founding principles of Mizahar? Creativity, originality, and freedom of expression seem to rank in the top of the founders ideals. They created this world that is full of depth and beauty for us (the players) to make it feel realistic. Each and every PC in the game adds another layer of creativity to the site, every personality creates unlimited possibilities of stories to be told, and every person behind the PC’s adds another face to the community that is Mizahar. Within this world there are many many races and character concepts, many deities for your character to worship or hate, and many paths that your character can wander. It is a breeding ground (that sounds vulgar, but I can’t think of another word) for creative ideas and for creative people. I personally find this an amazing accomplishment, but where should creativity give way to realism, or should it ever give way?

In my opinion we (as players) try so hard to avoid a cliché PC that we ignore what we are trying to play. As an example I’ll bring up the Dhani, while I’m not exceptionally knowledgeable on the race I have done my research and have come to the conclusion that our PC’s are generally too nice. While this in of itself isn’t a bad thing, when you take in the fact that a nice Dhani is more likely to be killed then a cruel Dhani, and that the entire race primarily worships the goddess of treachery you begin to see a flaw. I do not want to come across saying that every specimen of every race should be a perfect example of that particular race, but they should at least resemble that race. It was nice way back when to see a nonconformist member of a society, but that plot hook has been so overused that it’s really is starting to seem pathetic. Making an interesting PC doesn’t have to include them being different than their entire race (it can, but that should be rare), rather it shows more talent to come up with an “interesting” PC by working within the parameters that were set within the wiki.

I mean really, how hard is it to read the wiki article and then to start asking questions? The founders are almost eager to answer questions on a race they created, especially if it is something that isn’t clear in the wiki, or is some abstract question. You should take advantage of their knowledge of the site (hell they created the site!), I promise that you would come away with more knowledge than you know what to do with. Off the top of my head I can point to Siiri, she isn’t “different” per say than other Myrians. She has her own personality and her own ideas, but she is a great example of a Myrian woman. How did she get that way? Her player spent a long time asking questions to Cayenne before he began to play the PC, and he kept asking questions as he played.

As a final note, I want to encourage you to spend a little time out of your day and tell one of the founders that you appreciate him/her. It will make their day, and it will make your life easier in the long run. Not that my final note had anything to do with my rant, but hey I like to end on a good note.

-Vinnie

Official Edict To All Drykas Pavilions: "You Make Love, I'll Deal With The Rest"
Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Gossamer on February 11th, 2011, 5:18 pm

*standing ovation for the rant*

Minus the 'praise your founders' part, loved this and agree with it 100%. I'm so tired of the 'I don't want to make a PC like everyone else's. I don't want to play the stereotype. It happens so much that there are no 'normal' and 'abnormal' is typical.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Sairque on February 11th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Jen, I appreciate you. *rains praise upon*

Omeo, thank you. I find your rant was eloquent and tactful . *prods Sai* I tried to make her a regular Inarta but I'm not quite sure I succeeded.

I do get tired of fielding PM's from new kids about what all they can change about their Inarta character. I've gotten progressively short tempered with them, but I might just start referring them to this entry. Then Jen can deal with the influx of relevant questions I can't answer. *rains praise upon*
"Oneday I wished upon a star
And woke up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me."
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Words: 424341
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2010, 12:15 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Sabazios on February 11th, 2011, 7:26 pm

@Jen: I meant what I said about the founders, I don't think you "blue names" get enough praise. You have to deal with crazy furries and such nonsense, in my opinion you should be thanked for it.

@Sai: I think you did a great job making Sai, she isn't an "abnormal" Inarta. She has some quirks to her, but it doesn't take away from the general idea of being Inarta (at least in my opinion).

And yes, while it may sound cool or fun for someone to "mix it up", it can gradually whittle away the understanding of what that group really is. Which is obviously unacceptable. :)

Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Plague on May 24th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Apologies and Renewals

So for those of you that have not heard already, I'm back on site! However I feel that my sudden and unexplained absence was shameful and needs an apology. So here goes the list.

Everyone who was playing with my PC's.

Off the top of my head come Dani, Levi, Jokor, Sammich, Ariel, and Nicky, but I'm sure that there are many more that I'm forgetting. Please forgive my absence and know that I didn't mean to drop out on you. I'm sorry for any problems it may have caused you.

My Friends on Site

I have developed friendships with many people on this site, and that is one of the greatest things about Mizahar in my opinion. All of you are awesome. I'm sorry for dropping out on all of you.

Everyone in Endrykas

I let all of you down, I left when you needed me the most, and I didn't follow through with the promises I had made to you. I'm sorry for leaving you all out to dry.

Jake, Meg's, and Sammich

All of you were serving under my leadership in Endrykas, and I left you all out to dry. I'm sorry for leaving a city in the process of renovation for you to try and keep up with.

Jen

You know what I'm sorry for in regards to you. Know that it will never happen again.

Onto Renewals

Now that I have that out of the way, I would love to get back in touch with my old friends. I have a new set of PC's and goals that need to be fulfilled, and I am very much back into the swing of things.

Regards
-Vinnie
Plague
Player

Words: 11100
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2011, 9:36 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Aidara on May 25th, 2011, 1:45 am

-Takes a long running start and tackles SP-
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Plague on May 25th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Now for Planning

-Catches and Huggles Addy-

Now that I'm back I think that I should begin to work out my plans and goals for my PC's. I really only have two PC's that are threading with others consistently, but I have a full pocket with my five PC's. Three of them need to actually start doing something, and the other two are on their way to getting plugged into the community. But anyways, here are the plans.

Plague

-Finish "What the Petch" with Neek.
-Finish "What Hunt's in the Night" with Archon and Neek.
-Finish "Shadow's of the Night" Solo.
-Meet Tempest and Chyme.
-Fight Hidaki again and further their relationship.
-Make one more Malediction solo.
-Go to the Spires and do quest things with Secret.

Kaevar

-Finish thread with Belgar.
-Finish thread with Stitch.
-Start training thread with someone who's name I can't remember...
-Join in the Icewatch Recruitment.

Zavin

-Get employment as a spiritist.
-Get a thread with awesome people in WR.

Oman

-Find someone to thread with.

Khasuri

-Find out whether or not the Vigilante's are going to keep going.
-If they do, get more threads.
-If they don't, retire this PC.

-Vinnie
Plague
Player

Words: 11100
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2011, 9:36 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet