Sworn to the Watch [Ometeotl]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on February 26th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Sama'el was clearly outmatched, but he vowed silently that he would not embarrass himself, his ancestors, or Daed, upon whose recommendation he was even under consideration for a place among the ranks of the Watch. When it became apparent that there were no faults in Inaril's technique, he began to watch for trends, tendencies, that he might use to his advantage.

Her probes were met and turned aside to the best of his ability, and when the true strike came, he parried, bringing his scimitar about in a high horizontal strike like a branch in the storm to deflect her spear with the flat of his blade. His response was a series of slashes, thrusts, and parries, all short, buying his time and probing for a weakness. It was a measured boldness. He would be stupid to attack before sussing out a sufficiently auspicious opening, but he was actively looking, not waiting for her to present an opening with gift wrapping and ribbons, which would be a trap.

She hesitated, or seemed to, and he reacted instinctively, a slash that rose from heart level to neck and slipped back into a guard in one motion, not wanting to give her an opening either.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sabazios on February 28th, 2011, 4:48 am

Inaril smiled as Sama'el began reacting to her probing blows, he had already passed her test. His eyes told her the truth of his spirit, and his blade showed her the strength of his body. However she would not let him know whether or not she believed or cared about him until she was finished.

As his attacks came, she moved quickly to the left. Her stance showed poise and grace, she resembled a wildcat, beautiful and perilous. As he moved forward, she made as if to stumble. To someone of his skill level this would appear as a slight hesitiation. An old trick used to throw younger warriors, it rarely failed.

As she had expected, Sama'el took the bait with both teeth so to speak. His blow was a model of perfect form, the blade came up level, and circled back into it's proper position. It was fluid like an eagle in the sky, or a fish in the sea. But unfortunately for the young Drykas it was not quite good enough. Inaril brought the stave of her spear underneath the falling sword, and struck his left thigh on the soft inner tissue. Then bringing it over and up she struck him on the crown of his head, again with the stave of her spear.

As he fell to the ground, she bent over to his level, speaking these words. "Well met Sama'el, you fight well... for a man."

Official Edict To All Drykas Pavilions: "You Make Love, I'll Deal With The Rest"
Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Words: 36329
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on February 28th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Though he had suspected a trap, she had laid it under too much cover for him to suss it out. He was skilled, but she was more skilled, and so his leg was knocked aside with bruising force and he couldn't quite compensate in time for the blow from above, though he turned his head as best he could to prevent a snapped neck. Regardless, his leg and his head hurt like a bitch, and he was on the ground, grimacing. But his blade was still in hand; he had been warrior enough not to lose it. And it was only her conciliatory words that kept him from counterattacking from the ground. It wasn't over until it was over, but she had called an end to it.

Cheeks flushed, he stood up, unsure if she was taunting him in front of the Sayaph.

"Next time I will fight better," he promised both Inaril and Kirabo. He was cautious of saying more, if he had failed the test or it was still going. After all, he had been absent from his people longer than he had lived among them, and had only echoes and memories with which to rebuild proper behavior.

"Thank you for teaching me that combination; I will not fall to it again." Already he was figuring out ways in which he might have reacted to deflect both counterattacks and stay in the game longer, if not score against her.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sabazios on March 1st, 2011, 9:52 pm

Inaril flashed Sama'el a bright smile as he promised to do better in his next fight. "Of course you will, your a Drykas aren't you? No Drykas can accept defeat with peace, we strive for the impossible, we reach for the unreachable, until they become ours."

When she finished speaking Inaril dipped her head to Sama'el in respect born through combat, and she walked back to where her equiment lay.

As the fight had taken place Kirabo watched intently, he had struggled to hide his grin when Sama'el had been struck down. The fight had been swift but it had shown many aspects of combat. Inaril had crafted the duel with the skill that her rank required. She had shown both the strengths of her opponent and his strenghts. Kirabo knew that this Drykas was a good candidate for the watch.

As Inaril walked away Kirabo advanced, "Well fought lad, you show talent and even more important you show potential. If I were to judged based on this one duel, which I am, you would have an easy time convincing me to let you into a patrol.". As he finished speaking the older Drykas winked at Sama'el. "So do you have a preference in the Rayvehks?"
[/quote]

Official Edict To All Drykas Pavilions: "You Make Love, I'll Deal With The Rest"
Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Words: 36329
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on March 1st, 2011, 10:54 pm

Sama'el nodded in agreement, then returned Inaril's salute, hoping he would get to spar with her in the future. Facing opponents with greater skill than oneself was the quickest way to improve oneself, he felt. It seemed that test was complete, whether for good or for ill. She was complimentary, but that might be the sort of head-patting condescension he hated. When he turned to face the Sayaph, he steeled himself against the possibility that he would see disdain or disappointment, but, much to his surprise, the man seemed amused and approving.

Sama'el blinked.

"Thank you, Sayaph... I..." Then he glanced after Inaril. "Do you think she would accept me?"
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mycroft on May 28th, 2011, 6:50 am

- Sama'el -
"Also, I believe my Strider is touched by Zulrav."

Experience:
Riding: +2
Horsemanship: +1
Weapon (Scimitar): +3

Lores:
Bested By Kirabo Bloodwind's Student
Facing the Sayaph of the Watch
Impressing the Sayaph
Maintaing Poise and Control
Always On the Lookout for a New Wife

Notes: I figured it was best to just grade this thread and get it off of your mind. It cracked me up when Sama'el asked about Inaril. In my head, I was like, "…Did he REALLY ask that?" Sama'el is a really fascinating character. A natural leader. I bet he'll be Sayaph one day.
Mycroft

Previous