[Julian's Scrapbook] I Should Be Writing.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Mycroft on May 24th, 2011, 4:14 am

Aw thanks Ches.

I'm not getting rid of the Underpasses. Just Underwatch.
Mycroft

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 27th, 2011, 6:03 pm

A little input from another Endrykas-lover. Take it or leave it. :)

City Layout: Perhaps we can attribute specific direction son the compass rose for each clan so the specifics of the layout might change, but you know that no matter where Endrykas is at any given moment, the Sapphire clan will be in such and such direction from the Stalk Meet. And since there are seven clans and eight points on the standard compass rose, maybe there's some fabled lost clan, or there's a direction reserved for the gods... or something?

Zibri: And here I thought they were like zebras. :) I couldn't find a wiki on them, but saw them mentioned here and there and tried to play with what was written. A wiki would be nice. If it's something you and Mixcoatl don't have time for, I could do it.

Bestiary: There was talk of compiling flora and fauna, but we still need it. Thumbs up!

Summer Race: Hidalgo! A race to the Stardowns would certainly be a test of who the best riders are... *cough, cough* Ahem.

Government: Not to go too far into Native American parallels, but what if there was a War Chief, say the Sayaph of the Watch, for times when clear, autocratic leadership is necessary, such as when the Roman Republic granted imperium to a imperator or dictator in order to deal with a crisis, and then it gets handed back... unless you're Julius Caesar. Or perhaps there's an Ankal of Ankals who hears the counsel of the most respected Ankals of each clan? Just thoughts.

The Watch: Not gonna lie: I liked the Stormwatch. I know Sabazios was concerned with there being the Stormhold in Syliras and the Stormwardens of Zulrav, but although the Drykas worship most of the gods, Semele and Zulrav were the ones who helped them through the post-Valterrian and gave them the Striders, so... Yeah, let me know how I can help with Sama'el or OOCly.

Endrykas Web: This is another arena I would like to put Sama'el forward to help with since he is nearly Competent in Webbing and is part of the Watch, so I have had him riding circuits where he makes what minor repairs a Novice might. I want to know it better, so if you need help implementing changes, then I'll have a better idea of what I should be doing ICly too. Win-win!

Topaz Clan: I like your idea so far. Keepers of the histories, the priests and priestesses. Maybe they have more gnosis per capita, etc.? Just so long as that doesn't detract from the Sapphire Clan being the keeper of the magical mysteries, because that's part of why I chose them. :)

Underpasses: I don't think it makes sense for there to be Underpasses that connect every little bit of Cyphrus. That's just a mind-boggling amount of subterranean work that might fit for the Isur, but not the Drykas. However, they did historically go under the earth to hide out from the worst of the post-Valterrian crap, and Semele did aid them, so perhaps there are some warrens in various places, or some strategic links from certain places? I don't know. I'm not sure how it should work, but I kind of like the idea if it could be implemented better. I know Mixcoatl was all about it. Perhaps between the two of you, something could be figured out and he can administer it?

Age Ranges: The only thing I have to add here is that the people who aren't great riders, warriors, or hunters would likely not stray far from Endrykas. I made Sama'el's childhood pavilion a wandering one that only occasionally reconnected with Endrykas, but there might be more elders in the pavilions who stick to the strength in numbers philosophy. Though I agree, adulthood would be younger in a culture such as this. Once you prove manhood/womanhood, that's it. Sama'el became a man at seven when a Strider chose him. But then he lost it. Whups. Glad he didn't lose his other manhood.

City Movement: Yes. Please, God. I've been waiting for this to be established for some time but it was never a priority. Tell me what you decide so I can go by that forever and stop worrying about it. :D

Again, these are all just thoughts for you to consider, then take or leave. No criticism. I want to help, so just tap me for whatever you need so we can make this place even more awesome.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Julian on May 27th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Thanks for the input! Vinnie and I were debating on what kind of government best fits the Drykas, and he had a lot of good ideas. I'll introduce this one. What we wanted to do was both create more division between the clans, so that it's more like seven autonomous factions working together as a city. A system of goverment would serve to unite them but not control them. The Sayaph is a powerful man though, and in the face of threats like Zith and slavers, a single tactical leader to rely on could be pivotal.

The Zibri, after I though more about the concept of livestock with the Drykas, may become less of a presence. I want to convert them into wild herbivores that are uncommon and prized as game, and occasionally they are captured and kept for milk and wool with private horse herds.

Feel free to grab my AIM from the sidebar and send me a message. The Watch and Linkmap, including a detailing of the city's layout and movements, is the next thing on my list to write up. I was already certainly thinking of the clans arranging themselves as a sort of semi-static compass, one that changes shape but keeps itself relatively organized as the city occasionally moves (which it does in chunks).

Thank you for commenting!
Julian
Cellist

Words: 189595
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2011, 12:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Mycroft on June 2nd, 2011, 1:12 pm

I swear, I am never dating anyone ever again.
Mycroft

Postby Mycroft on June 27th, 2011, 6:28 am

Seriously.
Mycroft

Postby Alice on June 27th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Totally agree! Thanks for posting this.

On the other hand, I usually take it easy and don't mind as much (as you seem to do) since it's still easy to figure out the original meaning in most posts. :)
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Siiri on June 27th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Than we have to do what your post said?

Hey, you're right, this is no harder then using 'then' and 'than'!

*wanders off to find someone else to torment*

:) <3
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous