[Elsmere's Scrapbook] Clothing Optional

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Elsmere on May 30th, 2011, 4:10 pm

On this Memorial Day 2011 in the USA, I want people to remember those that fought to give us the rights we hold so dear. So thank you Virgil S. Woodward - Navy (grandfather), John E. Rightmire - Army (grandfather), and Rex C. Kenyon (friend) for your sacrifice.

Rex's story
Elsmere
Going Commando

Words: 13454
Joined roleplay: April 10th, 2011, 7:16 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Elsmere on June 4th, 2011, 2:50 am

A little taste of what I am working on. Here is the opening scene:

Pulling the scents of the ocean across the plain, a gentle breeze pushed past a trio of children. Tears streamed down the face of the young boy in the middle. To his left, another boy, slightly taller stood with his body rigidly at attention. On his right, a young girl's hand held tight to his. Soft sobs could be heard from beneath auburn hair.

This scene repeatedly played a hundred times over. Spring, usually the bringer of life, had been the season of death. The sights, the smells, and the sounds of a once thriving city had come to a grinding halt. Violence had a way of doing that. Unsolicited, brutal violence. It was that violence that brought these three young teens to a crowded graveyard.

Ayden Wright released the hand of the young girl and stepped forward. In his left hand two roses were gently held. Kneeling, he place a single rose on the two mounds of dirt before him. His parents. A tear dripped from his cheek to the ground. He watched it as it was pulled into the earth.

"I love you," he said in hoarse whisper, "and I am sorry."

Lifting his tear stained face skyward, the blue of his eyes sparkled in the afternoon sun. His parents had been dead just over a week. It was only now that their bodies could be committed to the ground. Ayden played back the scene of his last day with them. It was a moment of anger.

The Wright's had lived a simple life. They owned a small plot of land not far from the main gates of the city. They tilled the land, grew their crops, and harvested them. It was this cycle that got them ready for annual Farmer's Fair and Market in the fall. The money earned off their goods secured their livelihood for the next year. And it was the issue of money that started the fight amongst the family.

Hindsight, Ayden realized, was something of a supernatural power he wished was part of him. The argument over the purchase of a new bow, important at the time, was now insignificant. His parents stood their ground in the denial of his request. He had been told it did not fit into the budget.

It had been a difficult year for the crops. A hard winter kept the ground frozen for several weeks into the spring. This led to late planting. Lack of rain and a hotter than normal summer caused a number of the crops to fail to produce. The paltry amount of goods they had to sell only brought in a fraction of the money they had been use to. A fact that Ayden, at the time, did not completely understand.

Hands pressed down on either shoulder. The others knelt beside him. Each offered the flower they held.

"I believe they know," said a quiet reassuring voice. Ellie Jeffries had known Ayden all her life. Her family owned one of the most successful inns in the city. The Jeffries family had wealth. However, they never flaunted it. It was the main reason they were also one of the most well liked families. Their caring attitude spilled over into the daily lives of the townspeople. Currently, the family was in the process of housing many of the displaced people caused by the attack.

The boy to his left patted the earthen mound. "They will be missed," he stated in a firm reassuring voice. Andrew Jeffries, brother to Ellie, stood and towered over the others. The eighteen year old was the next in line to take over the family business. It was what his parents had been grooming him to do. This tall young man fit the part of a businessman. Even at his age, he was reveered. His polite manners and attitude spoke volumes as to the kinship the Jeffries had with each other. "Ellie let us return back to the inn. We should probably see what we can do to help."

Ellie nodded from her kneeling position. "Ayden," she said tilting her head towards him, "You should come with us. Mother will have supper ready and she is worried about you."

Ayden inclined his head to her. "Just give me a little longer. I will come as soon as I can."

Placing her arm around him, she gave him a light kiss on the cheek. Rising up, she smoothed her dress and wiped the tears from her face. Taking Andrew by the arm, the two left Ayden to his mourning.

Listening to the sobs and cries of others that were laying loved ones to rest, Ayden lifted his head to take in the solemn occasion. Staring out over the mass of graves freshly dug, the young man caught a glimpse of someone. Standing not far off in the distance, a hooded figure leaned against a tree. Another sorrowful soul, he thought. Ayden's head once again dipped down as he gazed at the graves before him. This would be his parent's final resting place. Returning his gaze to the tree, the figure was no longer there. As he looked out over the countryside, Ayden could see no trace of the hooded figure.

You're imagining things, he thought to himself.

Saying a final prayer, he stood. "This is not how I wanted things to be. Please forgive me. I never meant to say those things. I should have never been so selfish. You have given me so much and I took it for granted. I am happy to be your son. I will do what I can to make the Wright family name mean something. I promise."

Wiping the remaining wetness from his face, Ayden turned and walked back towards town. Towards uncertainty.
Elsmere
Going Commando

Words: 13454
Joined roleplay: April 10th, 2011, 7:16 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Previous