[Elsmere's Scrapbook] Clothing Optional

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Elsmere on April 22nd, 2011, 7:10 pm

Time to be Fake

As I sit here at the start of beautiful four day weekend, bitter thoughts poison my mind. I should be happy. And I am for the most part. Today is my son's 10th birthday, my Earth Day baby. Just waiting for everyone to get ready so we can grab lunch and go bowling (his idea). Sunday is Easter. An important day to my family and our faith. Sandwiched between these days is Saturday.

What could possibly be wrong with that day? Why does it make me so bitter? My basketball team comes to mind as the first hurdle for the day. We ARE NOT very good. Very inexperienced. My sons are the only real players. It is difficult playing in a league where you see the problems but can't do anything about it. It's called STACKED teams. The parents know it happens, but sit passively by and watch. Frustrating beyond all that is good and fair. But in 3 weeks I can kiss this league goodbye forever and find one that is more structured and fair. I just coach for the love of my kids.

Now my biggest Saturday complaint is a wedding I HAVE to attend. My 19 year old nephew to his 19 year old, only have known you a total of 2 years (or less), girlfriend. No she is not pregnant. He is a newly enlisted Marine. He wanted a commitment from her. It is a recipe for failure. The funny part about the whole thing is a majority of my family agrees this is stupid, except his parents (who we think also agrees but is to chicken to say anything).

I was engaged twice before I met my wife. Once at 20 and then again at 23. Failure would have happened either time. I didn't know what I wanted. I wasn't even out of college and yet to have a real job. I was kidding myself only for the pleasure and to be away from my family.

I turn 40 in a few weeks. I have been happily married for the past 14 years. Been teaching for 15 years and enjoy it (for the most part). I have 3 awesome kids. I saw the stupidity of my youth and young adult (if I could even call myself that) life.

It will be difficult to pretend happiness. They can't gamble or drink legally. (Can we get arrested for contributing to the delinquency of minors at their reception????) The girl has never really been personable with any of us. The boy is just spoiled. Sad thing is he is very smart. Graduated high school with nearly a 4.0 and this was the life he chose for himself.

I have nothing against he military. A majority of my relatives are in it. They even think it is dumb. Which just make me shake my head even more.

Venting is so nice. Thank you for allow me the chance.

Now off to have some fun.
Elsmere
Going Commando

Words: 13454
Joined roleplay: April 10th, 2011, 7:16 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 22nd, 2011, 9:01 pm

When I was very young, you'd probably know the age group better than I, I played T-ball for what was then babe ruth little league. I had two wonderful years on the worlds crappiest team ever. Then my father, who was heavily involved in umpiring and the organization itself (he was on the BOD) made the guy who assigns folks to teams put me on 'the best' team in the league. I got a trophy that year. I hated every bit of it. I never let them make me play baseball again. Recently, my mother was going through old things and saved out my trophy (the only one I'd ever won in my life) and an old baseball hat from the previous team I'd loved. I tossed the trophy in the garbage and cuddled the hat belovedly. If I'd stayed on that team I would have probably moved up with the same crappy people and played the same crappy game and had the time of my life all throughout my youth rather than quitting.

Cherish your team. I know they are having a good time if they are with you and under your leadership no matter how good or poorly they play.

As for the boy getting married, I know what your feeling there. But you can't live his life and he has to make his own mistakes. It sounds like a case of booksmarts and street ignorance. The military will make him into something more or eat him for breakfast. They always do. But regardless, if it were me I'd not be at that wedding. You are a better person than I am for going to support the rest of your family since I know you are going for them and not for him.

May he wise up fast. If not, he can reap what he sows. You have every right to be frustrated and angstful. Imagine how our parents thought about our actions.. and yet we turned out okay in the end.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Elsmere on April 22nd, 2011, 11:41 pm

Don't get me wrong. I love the team. I just am frustrated for them. The one I feel the most sorry for is the girl on the team. Her parents were told that it was a co-ed league. Yet, she is the only girl out of the 60 players that make up the 6 teams. The teacher in me just goes through the basics of the game. So far she is the only one on the team that hasn't made a basket. I always make sure she is in the same time as my younger son because he knows to pass to her and tires to help her get an open shot. Maybe we can get her to score tomorrow. That would at least put a smile on my face.

As for my nephew, I know he has to live his own life. I just hate, again the teacher in me, seeing people make dumb choices.

So here's to a late afternoon, outdoor, wedding near the beach in So Cal, where the temp should be in the low 60's.
Elsmere
Going Commando

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Elsmere on April 25th, 2011, 12:59 am

So needless to say I felt like a chaperone at a high school prom. During the 10 minute ceremony, the pastor mentioned several times that they were young. He even told my mother-in-law that he tried to talk them out of getting married and to wait about 2 years because of their youth. He wasn't even going to marry them, but believed they go elsewhere. He knew the family because he married his other 2 brothers.

At the reception, he didn't even have any friends his own age there. Most of his side of the family consisted of his parent's friends or those of his brothers, who were getting pretty hammered. No one on his side of the family looked to be accepting of this.

Neither of them were very personable during the reception. My thoughts ran to a young Ken and Skipper doll playing dress up.

And to top it all off, we had a family photo. One that was being retaken from his brother's wedding last Sept. The funny part was that the new bride WASN'T in the FAMILY picture. Can't wait until his mom realizes it.

D'OH!
Elsmere
Going Commando

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Elsmere on April 25th, 2011, 4:10 am

Kids these days

So here I am coaching my kids basketball team. You know... I mentioned them four posts up. Well anyway, it was a pretty well played game even though we got our butts kicked. During the 1st quarter I have my girl playing, not mine but the only one in the league. She takes a vicious hit from one of the boys on the other team. How they didn't call a foul on that was beyond me? She hit the floor hard. It reminded me of a wide receiver going across the middle completely defenseless and WHAM! But, like most girls I know, who are tougher than boys, she bounced back up and continued playing.

So the game is over and I am proud of how each played. Starting going through what each did right and pumping them up to keep the spirits up and I get to her. I reminded the team about the hit she took. They were all mad and saying things after that. I told them that she is a tough little girl and after that hit she bounced up like "Gumby".

She said, "Who is Gumby?"

I just shook my head and a facepalm to the forehead. The parents laughed.

Just like me to forget the generation gap.
Elsmere
Going Commando

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Elsmere on May 19th, 2011, 12:54 am

Milemarker 40

To be honest, I am not sure how this particular birthday crept up on me so fast. One day I am free as a bird, then WHAM, I’m old(er). Yet I have no complaints, no regrets, and only the future to look forward to. The trail has been filled with debris. Some obstacles took time to maneuver while others mere moments. It has been a blessed first forty.

Upon reflection, it was easy being the eldest. I just made sure I did the things I knew were right. My parents instilled a strong sense of morals in my soul. One that still flows through these veins today. I grew up with the basics. I was lucky to have both parents home. My dad worked nights as a firefighter, while my mom worked as a librarian. We were together every afternoon through evening. I played sports and built within myself a strong sense of competition.

School was much of the same. I was a good student. Not the best by any means. I knew education was important (still do) and needed to work hard. The only thing slowing me down was my inability to read. I struggled with reading comprehension. However, with the push and support of my parents, and a really good tutor, I managed to survive school. If none of that would have happened, I would not be in the place I am today.

I am a college graduate: Bachelors of Arts in History with a Minor in American Indians Studies. I love the past. But that statement is funny because I also went back to school and earned a Masters in Educational Technology. I love the future. I LOVE LEARNING!!!

It was then my life began. I got a job, met my future wife, got married, and had kids. And it has been that last 16 years that have been a blur. LIFE IS BUSY!

But as I walked by that 40 marker and pass it, I am not looking back. Still have a long life ahead. Places to go, people to meet, things to accomplish.
So here’s to one foot in front of the other while I continue down the trail that is my life.
Elsmere
Going Commando

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Vala on May 19th, 2011, 4:16 am

For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Elsmere on May 19th, 2011, 5:22 am

How did you know that I secretly have dreams of being on the USA Curling team? Have you been stalking my dreams? I was so into the the sport during the last Olympics that I had the games recorded and watched for hours. Rewinding to see the angle of the sweep, pausing on the position of the rocks, scrutinizing the flow of the bodies as they floated down the ice.

I mean it.

*shakes his head vigorously

What just happened? Move along there is nothing to see here. Old naked guy ranting. Nothing scary.

Can we get one of those white coats? Yeah, the ones with the straps.

No really I mean it. :D
Elsmere
Going Commando

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Elsmere on May 28th, 2011, 3:48 am

It is official, I have a 78 day weekend. What to do? What to do? I may not know, but I know my wife has little projects to keep me busy for that time. Funny thing is she has the same amount of time. Maybe I should find some little projects for her. Yet thinking about it might be detrimental to my overall health and well-being.

I haven't been around lately because the end of the school year is always full of long days. Two nights of getting home around 9:45pm, one for awards, the other a Knott's Berry Farm (amusement park) trip with the students. My computer lab died Tuesday while on the trip and took 3 days to find the problem. Now it is fully upgraded and almost ready for the next year. Looks like I will have some long days ahead of me when I start back.

I can now focus on two items: Elsmere's existence in Mizahar and the book I stopped writing.

Here's to a fun filled and relaxing summer. :D
Elsmere
Going Commando

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Mercury on May 28th, 2011, 4:17 am

Congrats on having so much free time! (I'm super jealous)

1. Ooooo a book? Wot kind?
2. You can definitely start helping me flesh out the Yasiry
3. Gwah, why is everyone graduating way before me?! :(

<3 Milk
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Mercury
Poisoning you to insanity, one word at a time

Words: 93204
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 4:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office